WEEK 15 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

WEEK 15 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

Just three more games to go before the NFL tournament begins. I'm sorry to say that our New England Patriots, though winning, aren't playing very well. Not a good thing, with the play-offs right around the corner. Here are my picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (10-3) New England Patriots @ (8-5) Denver Broncos (+6): Both of these teams are riding winning streaks. The Patriots have won five in a row, while the Broncos have won six in a row. But, it appears that the Broncos are playing with more energy, and are peaking...while the Patriots have looked lackadaisical in their last two wins over the Colts and Redskins. New England's defensive unit, after showing steady improvement, has been awful over their last 5 quarters of football. Even their great QB, Tom Brady, has seemed to be going through the motions over the past two weeks.
         Meanwhile, Tebow-mania is running wild in Denver. The Broncos have shown the knack of pulling games out in the closing minutes, helped by their deadly accurate, long range FG kicker, Matt Prater. Prater nailed a 59 yarder to tie the game in the closing seconds against the Bears...and then nailed a 51 yarder to win the game in OT.
         Can the Patriots' defense stop Tim Tebow? Can the "D" shut down the #1 rushing attacking statistically in the NFL, after getting pushed around last weekend by the lowly Redskins? Can the Patriots' OL adequately protect Tom Brady from the marauding Broncos' defense? Can the Pats play turnover free football? 
         This has become a huge game for both teams. If the Pats win, they'll clinch the AFC East, take a firm step towards being the #1 seeded playoff team in the AFC, and, most importantly, prove that they're capable of being a tough, physical, quality team. It's equally important for the Broncos, in their quest to win the AFC West.
         Let's hope that the Pats can regain their manhood this week, after getting embarrassed in D.C..:
    PICK: Broncos;

2.) (4-9) Jacksonville Jaguars (+11) @ (8-5) Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons need this game to retain their lead in the NFC wildcard chase. The Jaguars are one of the more difficult teams to get a handle on in the NFL. After crushing Tampa last week, one would think that the spread wouldn't be as large as 11 points:
    PICK: Jaguars;

3.) (7-6) Dallas Cowboys @ (4-9) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+7): The Cowboys have literally given away two games in a row, to Arizona and the the N.Y. Giants, respectively. But, Tampa Bay is the perfect opponent for them, as Tampa head coach Raheem Moore seemingly has lost control of his team:
    PICK: Cowboys;

4.) (4-9) Washington Redskins (+7) @ (7-6) N.Y. Giants: The Redskins' strong suit is running the football...and the Giants can't stop the run. Washington beat the Giants earlier in the season, behind Rex Grossman. Despite the huge emotional win in Dallas, the Giants can ill afford to let this game slip away:
    PICK: Giants;

5.) (13-0) Green Bay Packers @ (5-8) Kansas City Chiefs (+13.5): The Packers are on the verge of making 19-0 history. With an improbable win, the Chiefs can salvage their season. Not a chance:
    PICK: Packers;

6.) (10-3) New Orleans Saints @ (2-11) Minnesota Vikings (+7.5): If this game were being played in the old Metropolitan Stadium, in 20 degree weather, the Vikings plus 7.5 would be a great take. But, it's being played inside a toasty, climate controlled dome:
    PICK: Saints;

7.) (6-7) Seattle Seahawks (+4.5) @ (7-6) Chicago Bears: Even if the Bears somehow pull this one out, everybody knows that, without Jay Cutler and Matt Forte, their season is over:
    PICK: Seahawks;

8.) (4-9) Miami Dolphins @ (5-8) Buffalo Bills (+1.5):
    Last place in the AFC East is at stake in this barn-burner:
    PICK: Dolphins;

9.) (4-9) Carolina Panthers (+6.5) @ (10-3) Houston Texans: Carolina, despite their record, have been competitive throughout the season. Despite having lost their top two QBs and WR Andre Johnson, the Texans have continued to win. Their running game should get them over the hump again, this week:
    PICK: Texans;

10.) (7-6) Tennessee Titans @ (0-13) Indianapolis Colts (+6.5): The Titans gave the Saints all that they could handle last week. The Colts continue to be the laughing stock of the NFL:
    PICK: Titans;

11.) (7-6) Cincinnati Bengals @ (2-11) St. Louis Rams (+3.5): The Bengals must have this game if they wish to retain a shot an an AFC Wildcard birth:
    PICK: Bengals;

12.) (8-5) Detroit Lions @ (7-6) Oakland Raiders (+1): Detroit, for better or worse, gets back their wildman, Ndamukong Suh. The Raiders have been blown out in their last two games:
    PICK: Lions;

13.) (8-5) N.Y. Jets (+3) @ (5-8) Philadelphia Eagles:
    Hard to believe that the Eagles are favored in this one, despite their manhandling of the Dolphins last week, in Miami. The Jets appear to be peaking:
    PICK: Jets; 

14.) (4-9) Cleveland Browns (+6.5) @ (6-7) Arizona Cardinals: The Cards are making a late run at respectability, if not the play-offs:
    PICK: Cardinals;

15.) (10-3) Baltimore Ravens @ (6-7) San Diego Chargers (+2.5): If the Patriots can beat the Broncos, then, believe it or not, the Chargers have a shot at winning the AFC West...if they can beat those nasty Buzzards:
    PICK: Ravens;

16.) (10-3) Pittsburgh Steelers (+1) @ (10-3) San Francisco 49ers:
    The high ankle sprains suffered by Big Ben and Maurkice Pouncey are undoubtedly the reasons why the 49ers are slight favorites in this one. There's also the distinct possibility that LB/DE James Harrison will miss this game due to a league suspension. Still, Big Ben always seems to find a way, except when facing the Patriots in the play-offs...LOL!!:
    PICK: Steelers.

BEST BETS: Titans, Ravens, Jets, Lions, Packers, Dolphins.

As always, your comments and predictions are welcome...especially regarding the Pats' game. All of my picks are made against the spread.       

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: WEEK 15 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

damn u definitely got that tebow fever, picking the broncos...all we got to hope for is that we are up by 2 scores or more in the 4th quarter so we have less of a chance of seeing tebowmania again

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I think saying the Pats "got embarressed in DC" is a little over the top.  They won a road game in the NFL, not their finest effort but a W is a W. 

Christian Ponder threw for 381 yards and 3 td's against the Broncos a couple weeks ago and the Tebows, i mean Broncos, great Defensive efforts have come against Hanie, Sanchez and Cassell/Palko combo.  The Pats will move the ball on offense, the question is will the Defense be able to get off the field.  I'd say Pats 27-17.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveNorthShore. Show DaveNorthShore's posts

Pats, Jets, Baltimore, and Pitt are all on the road against decent teams so anyone of them could lose.  I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 4 loses.  The Pats should beat Broncs but Broncs can make it interesting if the Pats play like they did the past 2 weeks.  Chung and Spikes coming back will help the run defense which is what is needed against Denver  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 15 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week":
    [QUOTE]damn u definitely got that tebow fever, picking the broncos...all we got to hope for is that we are up by 2 scores or more in the 4th quarter so we have less of a chance of seeing tebowmania again
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]TP picks against the spread thinking Denver will cover... he is not saying the Broncos win, though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]I think saying the Pats "got embarressed in DC" is a little over the top.  They won a road game in the NFL, not their finest effort but a W is a W.  Christian Ponder threw for 381 yards and 3 td's against the Broncos a couple weeks ago and the Tebows, i mean Broncos, great Defensive efforts have come against Hanie, Sanchez and Cassell/Palko combo.  The Pats will move the ball on offense, the question is will the Defense be able to get off the field.  I'd say Pats 27-17.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]
    The Broncos can't survive a shootout with the Pats, at least we think so, right?  Tebow has shown tendancies to have passes not be in the same zipcode as his receivers, which may be helpful to the Pats pass defense.  The Broncos might be good against the run, but, the Pats did a good job against the Raiders when many said the same thing in that game.  If Chung and Spikes return, too, that may be the difference.  What we do not want is the score be a one score game late and the Pats let up like the Bears did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WEEK 15 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : TP picks against the spread thinking Denver will cover... he is not saying the Broncos win, though.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I see this as a very close game. I hope that the Pats bury them. But, that defense of theirs... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

For +6, I'll take the Broncos plus the points.  I'll do the final stats in a while, but right now I have the Pats by only 3.5 points. 

Denver stadiums have a rep.  People run out of gas (gasp gasp gasp) after 3 quarters.  That's a point for Denver. 

BB eats up unbalanced offenses where other teams freak out about them.  Denver is as unbalanced toward the run as any team in the NFL.  That's a point for the Pats.  Expect a 5-2 defense much of the time, with everybody keeping their lanes as they push inward.  Make Tebow prove that he has the passing arm to beat people. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WEEK 15 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : The Broncos can't survive a shootout with the Pats, at least we think so, right? 

The pats secondary will make TeBow look good.
    Seattle will beat the Bears
    Eagles will beat the Jets

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Hearing the end of last week’s Washington/Pats game, I almost want to fudge New England’s 7 point victory downward a couple of points.  It was a pretty close game 5 yards from the end zone.  Maybe I’ll think about my scoring rules a bit.

St. Louis and Seattle are given with an asterisk, pending tonight's game.

1   gb   14.7   (last wk. 1)

2   ne   12.8   (last wk. 2)

3   no   12.2   (last wk. 6)

4   hou   12.2   (last wk. 4)

5   pit   11.8   (last wk. 3)

6   bal   11.6   (last wk. 5)

7   sf   10.7   (last wk. 7)

8   nyj   10.3   (last wk. 10)

9   atl   9.8   (last wk. 9)

10   chi   8.9   (last wk. 11)

11   mia   8.9   (last wk. 8)

12   sd   8.7   (last wk. 16)

13   phi   8.6   (last wk. 20)

14   den   8.6   (last wk. 15)

15   ten   8.4   (last wk. 13)

16   det   8.4   (last wk. 12)

17   cin   8.3   (last wk. 17)

18   nyg   8.1   (last wk. 18)

19   dal   8.0   (last wk. 14)

20   sea   7.5*  (last wk. 19)

21   jac   6.8   (last wk. 27)

22   az   6.7   (last wk. 25)

23   min   6.1   (last wk. 24)

24   car   5.8   (last wk. 21)

25   was   5.2   (last wk. 29)

26   cle   5.1   (last wk. 30)

27   oak   4.9   (last wk. 23)

28   buf   4.7   (last wk. 26)

29   kc   4.1   (last wk. 22)

30   tb   3.7   (last wk. 28)

31   stl   3.0*   (last wk. 31)

32   ind   1.2   (last wk. 32)

My points, with an asterisk for st. louis and seattle.

visitor/home/my points / the public's opinion / difference

stl   sea    11.9   6.5   5.4  tonight.  Pretty good pick for Seattle right here.  Next week’s games by these two teams will be meh.  If Seattle wins by 12 points tonight, I won’t favor either team next week.

jac   atl    7.6   11   -3.4

dal   tb    -3.3   -7   3.7

mia   buf    -3.1   -1.5   -1.6

gb   kc    -12.9   -13.5   0.6

ten   ind    -7.8   -6.5   -1.3

car   hou    12.7   6.5   6.2

cin   stl*    -5.8   -3.5   -2.3

sea*   chi    6.3   4.5   1.8

no   min    -6.0   -7.5   1.5

was   nyg    7.5   7   0.5

det   oak    -2.0   -1   -1.0

ne   den    -3.3   -6   2.7

cle   az    3.5   6.5   -3.0

nyj   phi    0.5   3   -2.5

bal   sd    -1.3   -2.5   1.2

pit   sf    0.1   1   -0.9

Last week’s game of the week: 

I stuck up for Houston to win, and they did.  The current streak is 8-2.  My system continues to stomp all over Vegas (will the commish fine me for this?). Nobody anywhere on earth is beating little old me, except the guy who fixes the games.

This week’s game of the week. 

car   hou    12.7   6.5   6.2  I continue to note the lack of evidence that Houston’s third stringer is that bad. 

New England to win, but Denver with the points. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I heard a Denver commentator on the radio today talk about how much better Tebow passes in the hurry up. The Broncos have been trying to win by grinding the clock down and keep it close but apparently there is some talk that the Broncos might want to speed up their offense more because Tebow is more comfortable that way. His passing stats in the hurry up apparently are dramatically better (according to the analyst on the radio). The Broncos seem to use the hurry up only when they have to (ex-down by 10 with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter) but maybe with Pats porous secondary they might try to open it up a little bit this week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] I heard a Denver commentator on the radio today talk about how much better Tebow passes in the hurry up. The Broncos have been trying to win by grinding the clock down and keep it close but apparently there is some talk that the Broncos might want to speed up their offense more because Tebow is more comfortable that way. His passing stats in the hurry up apparently are dramatically better (according to the analyst on the radio). The Broncos seem to use the hurry up only when they have to (ex-down by 10 with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter) but maybe with Pats porous secondary they might try to open it up a little bit this week.
    Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]

After seeing Roy Helu and the Redskins' OL leave cleat-marks all over the faces of the Patriots' not so vaunted front seven, one has to wonder whether Willis McGahee and the Broncos will be able to ground and pound on the Patriots' "D", too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Patriots win a not so dramatic game were Tebow is what we thought he was, a nice kid with a lot to learn.

GB could be surprised by the coaching change in Kansas

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Steelers' Big Ben, Pouncey, should be ready to go Monday night against the 49ers: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11347/1196464-66.stm

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I think the Pats will defeat the Broncos rather handily.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

As the big game between the Pats aand Broncos approaches, here's what's being said in Denver:  

1.) Secondary injuries.
    The Broncos were missing half their starting secondary at practice Wednesday, the first session in preparation for the Patriots. Safety Brian Dawkins (neck) and cornerback André Goodman (concussion) were held out because of injuries suffered against the Bears.

Dawkins previously missed practice time this season, but has yet to miss a game. Goodman appears close to being cleared to return to practice, and he did some light jogging and stretching before watching practice. When Dawkins and Goodman left Sunday's game against the Bears, they were replaced by rookie safety Rahim Moore and rookie cornerback Chris Harris. Former Patriot Jonathan Wilhite played as the Broncos' third cornerback...If Goodman can't play Sunday, Chris Harris likely would be the Denver starter at right cornerback. Jonathan Wilhite would play in the nickel package. If the Broncos match Bailey, their left cornerback, against Wes Welker, the Patriots' star slot receiver, that means Brady will always know where Bailey is. Brady is more interested in looking for matchups he can win.

Read more: Tom Brady-led New England Patriots need only three quarters to average 22 points - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19550731#ixzz1gcECvcDA

2.) ...the Patriots, a team with defensive shortcomings, are 10-3 because they have scored at least 30 points 10 times. They have struggled to win in the second half of games, especially the fourth quarter. The Bills scored 24 points in the second half against New England in Week 3 and beat the Patriots 34-31. The Giants beat the Patriots 24-20 last month after scoring 14 points in the fourth quarter and 24 in the second half. And the winless Colts scored 21 points in the fourth quarter two weeks ago against the Patriots, who escaped with a 31-24 victory. Third-string quarterback Dan Orlovsky passed for 353 yards against New England's defense.

Overall, the AFC East-leading Patriots have given up 108 points in the fourth quarter. That's an average of 8.3 points per fourth quarter. Also, the Patriots have allowed 1,522 yards passing yards in the fourth quarter (36 percent of the total yards passing they have given up this season).

In the New England secondary, cornerback Devin McCourty has been a frequent target of quarterbacks — and he has none of the defense's 18 interceptions.

If the AFC West-leading Broncos (8-5) can keep it close Sunday, New England's previous 13 games show that they will have an opportunity to stretch their winning streak to seven games.
    Read more: Patriots are 10-3, but their flaws get exposed in the second half of games - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19549611#ixzz1gcFHAm5D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Denver had three key defensive secondary players not practicing, not two.  Besides starting cornerback Andre' Goodman and starting safety Brian Dawkins being out, Dawkins's backup, David Bruton, was also not practicing due to injury.  Who are they going to get, Rodney Harrison?

Not practicing for probably the most unique offense in the NFL?   Not too good.  Tebow/Roethlisberger/Vick offenses are uncommon, but New England is pretty unusual.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Denver had three key defensive secondary players not practicing, not two.  Besides starting cornerback Andre' Goodman and starting safety Brian Dawkins being out, Dawkins's backup, David Bruton, was also not practicing due to injury.  Who are they going to get, Rodney Harrison? Not practicing for probably the most unique offense in the NFL?   Not too good.  Tebow/Roethlisberger/Vick offenses are uncommon, but New England is pretty unusual.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

This game will come down to three things, (1) turnovers (as always), (2) the ability of the Pats' OL to protect Tom Brady, and (3) the ability of the Pats' DL to contain the Denver running game. The Pats cannot allow RB Willis MaGahee pull a Roy Helu on them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The latest word out of Pittsburgh is tthat Ben Roethlisberger (high ankle sprain) is limping noticably...and may not be able to play Monday night in San Francisco: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772067.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Extended weather forecast for Sunday in Denver looks good: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USCO0105?dayNum=3