Week 16 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Week 16 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

The considerable trouble that the Pats' "D" had with the Aaron Rodgers-less Packers will once again raise doubts as to whether the Patriots' "D" is good enough to win a SB. But, when you consider that, among their 12 victories, the  Patriots have beaten the Dolphins, Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Jets, Bears, and Packers...it's pretty impressive. With a win over the Bills on Sunday, the Patriots will clinch the AFC East title, and the #1 seed in the AFC. What's more, they will have accomplished it the old fashioned way...they earned it.

Here are my picks for Week 16, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (9-5) New York Giants (+2.5) @ (8-6) Green Bay Packers: This is a must win for both teams. The winner earns at least a wild card birth, while the loser is out. My guess is that Aaron Rodgers will play. But, it's better that the Packers keep him on the sidelines. Though the Giants looked like buffoons in giving away the NFC East title to Michael Vick's Eagles last week, they are not likely to dwell on that embarrassing loss. Look for them to play for redemption, and score a big win over the snake bit Pack:
    PICK: Giants;

2.) (2-12) Carolina Panthers (+13.5) @ (10-4) Pittsburgh Steelers: Though the Goths are tied with the Buzzards for first place in the AFC North, they own the tie breaker, by virtue of having a better record within their division. With all the bumps, nicks, and injuries the Steelers have, winning their division, and earning the bye that comes with being the second seed in the AFC, is vital. No way that the Goths will permit the puny Panthers to get in the way of all that:
    PICK: Steelers;

3.) (5-9) Dallas Cowboys @ (4-10) Arizona Cardinals (+6.5): Because Jason Garrett is trying to secure his tenuous head coaching job, he has the Cowboys are playing each game as if they still have a shot at the play-offs. The Cardinals, justifiably so, are playing their youngsters, and have visions of top college QBs, Andrew Luck and Ryan Mallett, in their heads:
    PICK: Cowboys;

4.) (4-10) Detroit Lions (+3.5) @ (7-7) Miami Dolphins:
    'Fins have to be down in the dumps after losing to the hapless Bills last week. Miami is a pathetic 1-6 at home...and that has defined their disappointing season. How they fare in this game may determine whether head coach, Tony Sparano, gets wacked at the end of the season. Meanwhile, the Lions managed to snap a 26 game road losing streak, by beating Tampa Bay in OT:
    PICK: Lions;

5.) (5-9) Minnesota Vikings (+11.5) @ (10-4) Philadelphia Eagles: Don't you get the feeling that Brett Favre does not want to go quietly into the sunset? My guess was that he'd  play against Philly...and that the Vikes would give "The Vicks" a game. But, after watching Favre get splattered on the fake frozen tundra on Monday night:
    PICK: Eagles;

6.) (5-9) Washington Redskins (+6.5) @ (8-6) Jacksonville Jaguars: The Jags blew a golden opportunity last week in Indy. The Colts own the tie-breaker. So, if Indy wins their final two games, in Oakland, and at home against Tennessee, they'll win the AFC South, again. But, the Jags will soldier on, hoping against hope that they get help:
    PICK: Jaguars;

7.) (5-9) San Francisco 49ers (+2.5) @ (6-8) St. Louis Rams: Has there ever been a worse division in NFL history than the NFC West? The 49ers still have a chance of winning the division, despite their lowly record. 
    PICK: Rams;

8.) (6-8) Seattle Seahawks (+6.5) @ (8-6) Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
    The Bucs playoff hopes were deservedly all but dashed, due to their OT loss at home to the Lions. Nonetheless, they'll hope for a reprieve, and will fight on against the sorry, NFC West co-division leading, Seahawks:
    PICK: Buccaneers;

9.) (12-2) New England Patriots @ (4-10) Buffalo Bills (+8): Though the Bills have been playing just about every team tough, the Patriots are in town on a mission. If they win, they clinch the AFC East title, as well as the top seed in the AFC tournament. The Pats have beaten the Bills 14 straight times. With so much riding on a win, and coming off a very unsatisfying win against the Packers at home, the Bills could be in for another long afternoon:
    PICK: Patriots;

10.) (10-4) New York Jets @ (10-4) Chicago Bears (+1.5): The Jets appeared to finally shake off their embarrassing loss on national TV to the Patriots. They turned in a strong effort, beating the Steelers, 22-17, in Pittsburgh. That's bad news, Bears:
    PICK: Jets;

11.) (10-4) Baltimore Ravens @ (5-9) Cleveland Browns (+3):
    The Buzzards best beware of a let down after an impressive home win over the Saints. The Browns also beat the Saints in New Orleans, earlier in the year...and a certain other team that many consider to be best in the NFL. But, three points seems to be too small of a spread:
    PICK: Ravens;

12.) (6-8) Tennessee Titans (+5) @ (9-5) Kansas City Chiefs: A Chiefs' win eliminates the pesky Raiders from playoff contention. Kansas City must win out to starve off the charging San Diego Chargers, and win the AFC West:
    PICK: Chiefs;

13.) (8-6) Indianapolis Colts @ (7-7) Oakland Raiders (+3): On paper, the Raiders, with their strong running game, match up well with the Colts. But, Jason Campbell against Peyton Manning is like pitting Glass Joe against Mike Tyson:
    PICK: Colts;

14.) (5-9) Houston Texans @ (3-11) Denver Broncos (+3): 
    The natives are beyond restless in Houston. At least, with Tim Tebow starting, things are semi-interesting in Denver:
    PICK: Texans;

15.) (8-6) San Diego Chargers @ (3-11) Cincinnati Bengals (+7.5): 
    It will be interesting to see how the Chargers perform in bone chilling weather. The Bengals are coming off a win over the improved Cleveland Browns, and could give the Bolts a game:
    PICK: Bengals;

16.) (10-4) New Orleans Saints (+2.5) @ (12-2) Atlanta Falcons: 
    It had appeared that this game would be for all the marbles in the NFC South. But, the Saints losing to the Ravens last week took much of the starch out of this match-up. Still, the defending champs will want to send the Falcons a message:
    PICK: Saints.      

BEST BETS: Colts, Jets, Jags, Giants, and Pats.

Thoughts/predictions, especially on the Pats' v. Bills?     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Re: Week 16 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

Hey Tex, the Bills have been playing much better of late.  Fitzpatrick actually has a decent TD/Int ratio and their run game is solid.  This will be a tough one for the PATS, expecially if the "D" line is still short staffed.  I think the PATS "EKE" out a win, say 4 points.

I will be at the game with my two boys and some other friends.  Their first NFL game.... Looking forward to seeing the PATS clinch home field advantage....

Only games i disagree with are the BOLTS and the Saints.....  I pick the bolts to cover the spread and Falcons to win and cover at home....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

1.) (9-5) New York Giants (+2.5) @ (8-6) Green Bay Packers: The Pack @ home against a shaky G-men defense. PICK: Pack;

2.) (2-12) Carolina Panthers (+13.5) @ (10-4) Pittsburgh Steelers: Steelers will go for a shut out here . Look for CAR to score in the single digits PICK: Steelers;

3.) (5-9) Dallas Cowboys @ (4-10) Arizona Cardinals (+6.5): PICK: Cowboys;

4.) (4-10) Detroit Lions (+3.5) @ (7-7) Miami Dolphins: Sparano is getting canned. I just don’t see Lions with 2 solid road performances in a row though after 28 consecutive tank jobs PICK: Fish;

5.) (5-9) Minnesota Vikings (+11.5) @ (10-4) Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles will win and rest people PICK: Eagles;

6.) (5-9) Washington Redskins (+6.5) @ (8-6) Jacksonville Jaguars: Jags are the better team PICK: Jaguars;

7.) (5-9) San Francisco 49ers (+2.5) @ (6-8) St. Louis Rams: Both teams looked like crrapp in their last games, but the lessor(of the CRRAPP) is the 9ers PICK: 9ers;

8.) (6-8) Seattle Seahawks (+6.5) @ (8-6) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Seattle is winning the division PICK: Hawks;

9.) (12-2) New England Patriots @ (4-10) Buffalo Bills (+8): The Pats D looked suspect against the young Mr Flynn. Clearly, a realistic point of concern in Patriotville. I like the Bills to cover in this one PICK: Bills;

10.) (10-4) New York Jets @ (10-4) Chicago Bears (+1.5): I can’t believe I’m rooting for Cutler. The smokescreen Jest will lose on the Midway.  PICK: Bears;

11.) (10-4) Baltimore Ravens @ (5-9) Cleveland Browns (+3): Ravens may be bowl bound, it’s all up to the play of the DBs. Against McCoy, no problem PICK: Ravens;

12.) (6-8) Tennessee Titans (+5) @ (9-5) Kansas City Chiefs: I watched the Rams/Chiefs and was unimpressed with the lackluster effort of both squads. I don’t expect any help from Fisher as he hates SD. The Titans still have a shot at the playoffs though. 5 is too much.  PICK: Titans outright;

13.) (8-6) Indianapolis Colts @ (7-7) Oakland Raiders (+3): I don’t think Peyton makes the playoffs this year PICK: Raiders;

14.) (5-9) Houston Texans @ (3-11) Denver Broncos (+3): Denver wants Luck or Mallett. Another Stanford QB like Elway, so good Luck it is PICK: Texans;

15.) (8-6) San Diego Chargers @ (3-11) Cincinnati Bengals (+7.5): The Chargers have annihilated the last 2 teams faced. No turnovers and win. The Chargers cold weather record is one of the best in NFL history. Bolts will even cover the 8 PICK: BOLTS;

16.) (10-4) New Orleans Saints (+2.5) @ (12-2) Atlanta Falcons: 
    Like Tex, I like the Saints in a message game. I think this is the NFC Championship game part 1:
    PICK: Saints.      

BEST BETS: Ravens, Steelers, BOLTS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Week 16 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week":
    [QUOTE]Hey Tex, the Bills have been playing much better of late.  Fitzpatrick actually has a decent TD/Int ratio and their run game is solid.  This will be a tough one for the PATS, expecially if the "D" line is still short staffed.  I think the PATS "EKE" out a win, say 4 points.

RESPONSE: After that display against Green Bay, if the Pats have trouble beating the Bills in a meaningful game...I'd say it's cause for concern.

I will be at the game with my two boys and some other friends.  Their first NFL game.... Looking forward to seeing the PATS clinch home field advantage....

RESPONSE:  Sounds like that's going to be a blast for you and your kids. I remember how excited I was when I went to my first pro game with my Dad. Have a great time!

Only games i disagree with are the BOLTS and the Saints.....  I pick the bolts to cover the spread and Falcons to win and cover at home....

RESPONSE: Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you and yours, Joe.
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an analysis of the Pats v. Bills from the Sporting News: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-12-21/week-16-matchup-new-england-patriots-at-buffalo-bills

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Week 16 power ratings and game of the week

Green Bay, apparently a good team no matter who plays at quarterback, didn’t show any dropoff against #1 New England.  They brought New England down a tad and raised themselves up a bit.  They acted like a great 8-6 team at Gillette, where a good list of pretenders have failed.

I’ll put the usual warning on the week 17 games, that some teams (starting with the Patriots) will probably have nothing much to play for, and so those scores will be ignored.

1   ne   14.3   (last wk. 1)

2   gb   12.2   (last wk. 3)

3   phi   11.9   (last wk. 6)

4   sd   11.7   (last wk. 8)

5   atl   11.6   (last wk. 5)

6   pit   11.0   (last wk. 2)

7   bal   10.7   (last wk. 7)

8   nyg   10.6   (last wk. 4)

9   chi   10.6   (last wk. 12)

10   nyj   10.1   (last wk. 11)

11   no   9.5   (last wk. 9)

12   ten   9.3   (last wk. 16)

13   ind   8.9   (last wk. 14)

14   mia   8.7   (last wk. 10)

15   jac   8.2   (last wk. 13)

16   det   8.0   (last wk. 20)

17   kc   7.9   (last wk. 25)

18   buf   7.4   (last wk. 26)

19   tb   7.4   (last wk. 17)

20   oak   7.4   (last wk. 22)

21   dal   7.3   (last wk. 15)

22   hou   7.1   (last wk. 21)

23   cle   7.0   (last wk. 18)

24   min   6.4   (last wk. 19)

25   cin   5.9   (last wk. 27)

26   stl   5.8   (last wk. 24)

27   was   5.7   (last wk. 28)

28   sf   5.5   (last wk. 23)

29   den   2.2   (last wk. 32)

30   car   2.1   (last wk. 30)

31   sea   2.0   (last wk. 29)

32   az   2.0   (last wk. 31)

Visitor/home/my points/the betting public's opinion / difference

car   pit     16.3   13.5   2.8

dal   az     -5.0   -6   1.0

bal   cle     -2.5   -3   0.5

min   phi     11.2   14   -2.8

nyj   chi     3.8   2.5   1.3

sea   tb     11.1   6   5.1

was   jac     6.9   6.5   0.4

ten   kc     0.9   5   -4.1

det   mia     4.1   3.5   0.6

sf   stl     3.4   2.5   0.9

ne   buf     -7.4   -9   1.6

hou   den     -4.4   -2.5   -1.9

ind   oak     0.7   -3   3.7

nyg   gb     5.4   2.5   2.9

sd   cin     -5.8   -7.5   1.7

no   atl     6.1   2.5   3.6

Game of the week:

Last week versus the spread, Atlanta was nice to me once again.  Maybe my system works better with a longer list of games. 

sea   tb     11.1   6   5.1

Seattle is playing like they wish they could get the #1 pick in the 2011 draft.  In their last 8 games they have beaten bottom-dwellers Arizona and Carolina, but have gone down fast and furious against absolutely everyone else. 

Minor call

ten   kc     0.9   5   -4.1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Week 16 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week 16 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" :
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tex, Merry Christmas to you too!

Sections
Shortcuts