Week 17 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Week 17 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

Good to see the Patriots look like "The Patriots" again. But, I must admit, I got more satisfaction watching the Colts squander what appeared would be an unbeaten season. Thank you, NY Jets...and thank you, Jim Caldwell and Bill Polian!

Here are my picks, with the "Game of the Week"  being:

1.) Philadelphia Eagles (+3) @ Dallas Cowboys: Huge game, for the NFC East title. Both teams will make the play-offs, regardless of who wins. So, this game is all about seeding. The Cowboys have a chance for vengeance and vindication, for the 44-7 pasting the Eagles gave them...eliminating them from the 2008 play-offs. The Eagles appear to be far more explosive on offense, with Desean Jackson, and a supposedly healthy Michael Westbrook. But, they lost their starting center last week for the season. Dallas appears to have a better front seven, but the Eagles have the better secondary. This should be a great game:
    PICK: Eagles;

2.) Indianapolis Colts @ Buffalo Bills (no line): After "wimpgate" last week in Indy, is there any surprise that Vegas is not giving odds on this game? Wouldn't it appear silly if the Colts play Peyton Manning even for a series, after giving him the hook last week, to prevent any chance of injury? The Bills will be playing for jobs. The Colts will be playing not to get hurt.
    PICK: Bills;

3.) New Orleans Saints @ Carolina Panthers (no line): Tough game to call, as the Panthers have been playing very well of late. The Saints clinched the #1 seed in the NFC, after getting a huge break Monday night...when the Vikings lost to the claw-less, clue-less Bears. Nonetheless, I doubt that the Saints want to enter the play-offs on a three game losing streak. This is a game that both teams might play to win:
    PICK: Panthers;

4.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+1.5) @ Cleveland Browns:
    Though the Jags still have a super slim chance to make the play-offs, the players and coaches on the Browns will be trying to impress the new boss, Mike (The Walrus) Holgrem:
    PICK: Browns;

5.) Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions (+2): The Bears might carry some momentum from their OT win over the Vikings with them to Detroit. Can the Lions win three games this season? I think not:
    PICK: Bears;

6.) New England Patriots (+8) @ Houston Texans: No...I didn't make a mistake. The Pats are really eight point 'dogs to the Texans. The logic for this is probably based upon the fact that the Texans must win this game to keep their play-off hopes alive, the Texans are a decent team, and because the Patriots have been a horrible road team. But, I'd be surprised if BB goes the way of Jim Caldwell. The Pats will play to win:
    PICK: Patriots;

7.) Pittsburgh Steelers @ Miami Dolphins (no line):
    As the Steelers take care of their business in Miami, they'll be keeping a close eye on the Pats/Texans score. If the Steelers are to have any realistic chance of making the play-offs, the Patriots must help them by beating Houston:
    PICK: Steelers;

8.) NY Giants (+9.5) @ Minnesota Vikings: The Giants looked awful last week against Carolina, after looking so good the week before against the Redskins. Other than salvaging some pride, this game is meaningless to them. Though the Vikings through away any chance at earning the #1 seed in the NFC last night in Chicago, they still can earn a first round bye with a win, and an Eagle's loss:
    PICK: Vikings;

9.) Cincinnati Bengals (+10)  @ NY Jets: Thanks to Jim Caldwell and Bill Polian, the Jets control their own play-off destiny. If they win, they're in as a wild card. But...they're the Jets. A Bengals' win and a Patriots' loss would give Cincy the 3rd seed...and, if both the Pats and Bengals win, depending on what happens elsewhere, the Bengals might still earn the #3 seed. Its' hard to predict how Cincinnati will approach this game. But, my guess is that they'll at least cover:
    PICK: Bengals;

10.) San Francisco 49ers @ St. Louis Rams (+7.5):
    Hard to believe that the Rams/49ers was once one of the greatest rivalries in the NFL. But now, it would be better for both these teams to lose, in order to secure better draft positions. Currently, the Rams are in position to "earn" the #1 overall pick...which is sure to be a boy name "Suh".
    PICK: 49ers;

11.) Atlanta Falcons @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5): Another meaningless game for play-off purposes. But, both teams are led by young QBs, who will want to end the season on a high note:
    PICK: Falcons;

12.) Green Bay Packers (+3) @ Arizona Cardinals:  Play-off wise, this game means little. The Packers own a wild-card spot, and are in. The only question is, will they be seeded 5th or 6th? The Cards have already clinched their division, but could earn the second seed, if they win, and both Minnesota and Philly lose. This should be a fun game to watch:
    PICK: Cardinals;

13.) Kansas City Chiefs (+13) @ Denver Broncos: The Broncos need lots of help, but still have a chance to sneak into the play-offs. What the Jets do is really important to them. The Chiefs have been playing better of late. I expect them to cover:
    PICK: Chiefs;

14.) Baltimore Ravens @ Oakland Raiders (+10): Like the Jets, for the Ravens, its' simple. Win and their in. I don't see the Raiders stopping them. But, they may cover: 
    PICK: Raiders;

15.) Washington Redskins (+4.5) @ San Diego Chargers: The Chargers have nothing to play for. The Redskins are playing like they have nothing to live for:
    PICK: Chargers;

16.) Tennessee Titans @ Seattle Seahawks (+4.5): Titans are out of contention, even with a win. Still, they'll want to close out whats' been a very disappointing season for them on a high note:
    PICK: Titans;

Best Bets: Titans, Bears, Browns.    

Heres' a breakdown of the various play-off scenarios: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3058
    _Week_17_playoff_scenarios.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Week 17 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

A boy named Suh . . .

Wonderful.

And there I was thinking one Chris Berman on the planet was already one too many.

Bonus points awarded for: "But they're the Jets."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boom95. Show boom95's posts

1.boys
    2.bills
    3.saints
    4.jags

5.bears

6.pats

7.pitt
    8.nyg
    9.cin
    10.49ers

11.alt

12.gb

13.den

14.balt

15.sd

16.ten

Yes game of the week is Dall and phil, however until the AFC playoffs are decided ,all the playoff contender games will be fun to watch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Cinci will only win by accident.  They have nothing to play for plus why show your hand to the team your playing in the first round when you don't have to?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Who besides me wonders why the "flex schedule" gives us ratty Cincy v. Green New Jersey in what may well be a meaningless game when Dallas/Philly is sitting right there?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

The Bengals have been mediocre lately and I'm afraid they were planning to rest their starters anyway so we must get used to the idea of the Jerks in the playoffs. There's no living with inflation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Who besides me wonders why the "flex schedule" gives us ratty Cincy v. Green New Jersey in what may well be a meaningless game when Dallas/Philly is sitting right there?

Conspiracy?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Mike, you inquired: Who besides me wonders why the "flex schedule" gives us ratty Cincy v. Green New Jersey in what may well be a meaningless game when Dallas/Philly is sitting right there?

The NY media calls the shots...the NY/metro area is the #1 TV audience. So... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

1)Philadelphia Eagles (+3) @ Dallas Cowboys: This very well could determine who makes it the bowl IMO. I don’t think Dallas can score enough to keep up with this bunch of birds. Brooking is a tool. ‘Smash um in the mouth, gonna bloody um up’ PICK: Eagles;

2.) Indianapolis Colts @ Buffalo Bills (no line): I will not pick Indy the rest of the way, sorry UD. your team doesn’t impress me that much with that cupcake schedule and all . PICK: Bills;

3.) New Orleans Saints @ Carolina Panthers (no line): New Orleans will show nothing creative on offense in this game PICK: Panthers;

4.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+1.5) @ Cleveland Browns: Jags are deflated PICK: Browns;

5.) Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions (+2): In typical Cutler fashion, I like Jay to have a letdown this week PICK: lions;

6.) New England Patriots (+8) @ Houston Texans: Crazy spread, agreed PICK: Patriots;

7.) Pittsburgh Steelers @ Miami Dolphins (no line):
    As SB champs PIT will win and sneak in PICK: Steelers;

8.) NY Giants (+9.5) @ Minnesota Vikings: too many points PICK: Jints;

9.) Cincinnati Bengals (+10)  @ NY Jets: Bengals are the biggest sleepers from either conference this postseason. A very good all around team

PICK: Bengals;

10.) San Francisco 49ers @ St. Louis Rams (+7.5): Rams stink PICK: 49ers;

11.) Atlanta Falcons @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5): I expected more from ATL this year PICK: Falcons;

12.) Green Bay Packers (+3) @ Arizona Cardinals:  Cards or Philly in the bowl from the NFC if you ask me  PICK: Cardinals;

13.) Kansas City Chiefs (+13) @ Denver Broncos: The chefs are horrible and Mr cassel  should worry about his future after next season PICK: Broncos;

14.) Baltimore Ravens @ Oakland Raiders (+10): Ravens D will assume control from the get go PICK: Ravens;

15.) Washington Redskins (+4.5) @ San Diego Chargers: Talk around here is to stay sharp. Nobody can stop this Charger offense. Even if Volek starts, SD should still win. I say that because he did win a playoff game off the bench vs. Indy.  The skins wont keep up IMO PICK: Chargers;

16.) Tennessee Titans @ Seattle Seahawks (+4.5): Hawks are good at home and Titans are crushed between the ears PICK: Hawks;

Best Bets: Ravens

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

posted at 12/29/2009 3:56 PM EST

First: 4/14/2007
    Last: 12/29/2009

I think they are putting the Jets/ Cinci game late, because it will force all of the AFC teams in contention playing earlier to play for the win.  Making the early games more interesting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

"I think they are putting the Jets/ Cinci game late, because it will force all of the AFC teams in contention playing earlier to play for the win.  Making the early games more interesting."

Good point, Joe. A lot hinges on what the Jets do...or...fail to do...LOL!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Patriots over Texans
    Eagles over Cowboys
    Bills over Colts
    Vikings over Giants
    Lions over Bears
    Panthers over Saints
    Browns over Jaguars
    Steelers over Dolphins
    Jets over Bengals
    49ers over Rams