WEEK 17 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from condognh. Show condognh's posts

Re: WEEK 17 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

Bengals snag wc at home Oakland wins west Cowboys edge jintz Pitt loses at cle Rest of games don't matter to me

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My exclusive numeric power ratings for week 16:

1   ne   14.4   (last wk. 1)  Yep, the numbers say they're that strong.

2   gb   13.4   (last wk. 2)

3   no   12.5   (last wk. 3) Monday Night game not included yet

4   sf   11.9   (last wk. 4)

5   pit   10.6   (last wk. 8)

6   bal   10.5   (last wk. 10)

7   atl   10.5   (last wk. 5) Monday Night game not included yet

8   mia   10.2   (last wk. 9)

9   phi   10.2   (last wk. 7)

10   sd   9.9   (last wk. 11)

11   hou   9.7   (last wk. 6)

12   nyj   9.5   (last wk. 13)

13   dal   9.4   (last wk. 12)

14   sea   8.5   (last wk. 14)

15   det   7.9   (last wk. 16)

16   cin   7.8   (last wk. 15)

17   chi   7.8   (last wk. 18)

18   den   7.8   (last wk. 17)

19   ten   7.5   (last wk. 21)

20   nyg   7.4   (last wk. 19)

21   was   6.9   (last wk. 20)

22   car   6.9   (last wk. 22)

23   az   6.7   (last wk. 23)

24   kc   5.9   (last wk. 24)

25   oak   5.0   (last wk. 25)

26   min   5.0   (last wk. 27)

27   jac   4.9   (last wk. 26)

28   cle   4.7   (last wk. 28)

29   buf   4.3   (last wk. 29)

30   stl   2.9   (last wk. 30)

31   tb   2.8   (last wk. 31)

32   ind   2.6   (last wk. 32)

Week 17 numeric predictions:

This time of year, all sorts of numeric predictions are suspect.  I practically have to give non-numeric ratings on every game.

atl  no      4.5  7  -2.5  A legit Monday night game, on as I write.  Best guess, Atlanta to cover.

nyj  mia      4.2  1  3.2  This is interesting because Miami actually came out of their tailspin, and because the Jets are in a bad funk.

det  gb      10.7  -1  11.7  Green Bay clearly throws this game.  Ignore the numbers.

car  no      10.0  8  2.0  The Saints care, I think…

ten  hou      7.8  -3  10.8  Houston clearly throws this game.  Ignore the numbers.

chi  min      -0.8  -1  0.2

was  phi      7.6  9  -1.4

tb  atl      12.8  14  -1.2

sf  stl      -9.4  -10  0.6

buf  ne      17.2  12.5  4.7  I still don’t like huge point spread margins, especially with the Patriots usually giving up meaningless fourth quarter touchdowns, but my numbers point to a wallop and a half.  Homefield advantage adds up on average to about a 6.2 point shift for the home team in the second game, so this game is like putting something in the bank. 

bal  cin      -0.6  -2.5  1.9  Hot game.  Slight lean for Cincy to cover.

dal  nyg      0.3  3.5  -3.2  Hot game.  Dallas to cover.

ind  jac      4.8  4  0.8

pit  cle      -5.2  -7  1.8  Rival Cleveland might put up a good fight just for spite, and for their home crowd.  Certain home underdog games make me wonder whether the refs have been bought, so watch for those bogus 40 yard pass interference calls on the 1 yard line.

sd  oak      -3.8  3  -6.8  My game of the week.

kc  den      5.7  3  2.7  Tebow doesn’t fold just because he’s lost a couple, not at home, not with a playoff game to grab.  KC has Crennel but really they’re between coaches right at this moment.

sea  az      0.6  3  -2.4  I haven’t favored Seattle for anything in 2 years, but I will now.

Game of the week is Norv getting a last vengeful hand from the grave on rival Oakland, maybe with Oakland watching the scoreboard more than the game and despairing.  I’m going to miss Norv:  silly first name, horrid lifetime record, horrid trades to New England over his career, chosen as San Diego coach simply because his style of coaching was the same as the last coach’s style.  “Turner has coached the most games in NFL history among head coaches with an overall losing record.” – Wikipedia.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

8.) (8-7) Tennessee Titans @ (10-5) Houston Texans (+3): After suffering an embarrassing loss to the Colts on national T.V., I suspect that the Texans will come out snarling in this one:
    PICK: Texans;

I disagree - I think with the #3 seed locked up and this game meaning nothing, they could careless.  This team is finally in the playoffs and needs to focus on that.

You should pick some over / unders too... 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

If the Jets win against Miami, the Jets will make the playoffs if one of the following two scenarios play out:

• Cincinnati loses, Tennessee loses or ties, and Oakland loses or ties
    • Cincinnati loses, Tennessee loses or ties, and Denver loses or ties

The Jets will have every thing set to make the play-offs (Based on your Week 17 Picks) which means they will only have to beat Miami....

What a great loss that will be if Miami can take them out..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Texas, thanks for keeping us up to speed each week, I have enjoyed it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Paul-K:

kc  den      5.7  3  2.7  Tebow doesn’t fold just because he’s lost a couple, not at home, not with a playoff game to grab.  KC has Crennel but really they’re between coaches right at this moment.

I agree that Denver will take the ball back from Tebow and remember that he is a running QB who throws only when it makes sense verses a "for real" QB
    Denver wins on D and Running

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

7.) (6-9) Carolina Panthers (+8) @ (12-3) New Orleans Saints: Sean Payton will likely let Drew Brees play through the first half. If the 49ers are well up on the Rams, he'll sit him im the second half, rest his regulars. Rest assured that Rookie of the Year Cam Newton will take this game seriously:
    PICK: Panthers;

Not sure about your pick here Tex, the Saints are playing for the number 2 seed so unless they are scoreboard watching the 9ers are up big they shouldn't be resting anyone.  Plus they will try to put up big passing yards to keep TB form breaking the single season passing record.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

True, but as as many yards as Cam is throwing he's also throwing the ball away a lot too.  I have a feeling that Brees will be watching TBs yards more than SF's score over the mighty Rams...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I also would like to thank you for your weekly picks throughout the year-really enjoyed reading your picks and comments-Go Pats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 17 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week":
    In Response to Re: WEEK 17 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" :      Could be. But Saints' head coach Sean Payton obviously let Brees go for the record last night. I don't think he'll risk him too long next week. We'll see what happens. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Payton and Brees would look slightly ridiculous if they lost the yardage record this week because he pulled Brees at halftime after all the celebrating on Monday. I expect the Saints coaches will be paying more attention to Brady's passing yardage than the 49ers score when it comes to pulling Brees.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts