WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

the phins and jets have played many, many crazy games...with the amount of talent each side has...i cant imagine this game being any different...i see the phins pull out a close one late 14-10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from changes1677. Show changes1677's posts

sorry bro but brady is right about the stadium crowd.  they are pathetic.  look at the jets games and steelers games.  When is our stadium like that? yah never.  And really after one bad game the pats players dont care enough about the season? get real its a young team and the beginning of the season.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Rerun - just to consolidate the week 3 picks.

Baltimore beats the Jets.  The Jets beat New England.  New England beats Cincinnati.  Cincinnati beats Baltimore.  There you go! 

Here are my week 3 power ratings.  Green Bay whaled on a not-yet-terrible team, so they jumped from #3 up to #1 as teams #1 and #2 took a step back.  New England got smacked on the road by a good team, while New Orleans looked desperate in winning against a bad team.

1     gb     12.6     (last wk. 3)

2     no     12.1     (last wk. 1)

3     ne     11.6     (last wk. 2)

4     bal     10.8     (last wk. 4)

5     nyj     10.7     (last wk. 8)

6     sd     10.6     (last wk. 11)

7     hou     10.5     (last wk. 5)

8     ind     10.5     (last wk. 7)

9     phi     10.2     (last wk. 10)

10     atl     10.0     (last wk. 13)

11     pit     9.9     (last wk. 15)

12     min     9.5     (last wk. 6)

13     mia     8.9     (last wk. 14)

14     den     8.3     (last wk. 18)

15     kc     8.1     (last wk. 20)

16     tb     7.9     (last wk. 24)

17     dal     7.7     (last wk. 12)

18     cin     7.7     (last wk. 23)

19     ten     7.6     (last wk. 9)

20     chi     7.0     (last wk. 28)

21     cle     7.0     (last wk. 25)

22     was     6.9     (last wk. 21)

23     sf     6.5     (last wk. 26)

24     buf     6.4     (last wk. 19)

25     car     5.9     (last wk. 16)

26     nyg     5.7     (last wk. 22)

27     az     5.6     (last wk. 17)

28     jac     4.8     (last wk. 29)

29     sea     4.8     (last wk. 27)

30     stl     4.4     (last wk. 30)

31     oak     3.3     (last wk. 31)

32     det     2.4     (last wk. 32)

My straight-up record against the spread has been terrible in the last 2 weeks.  I suspect that my numbers reflect what the slow-witted half of the betting public sees -- last year’s record is not going to be this year’s record, and the preseason numbers aren’t that useful for predicting regular season numbers.  Real bettors look at who’s actually playing on Sunday.  At least I learned all of this interesting info without placing any bets, so I’m ahead that way.

I offer these spreads with a reminder that they are almost completely injury-blind.  Kevin Faulk’s ACL is not in the numbers, nor is Buffalo’s shift to another quarterback.  At least the preseason and last season numbers are slowly starting to fade away.

Vis./Home  my pts    betting public’s points   difference

cle     bal     8.7     10.5     -1.8

ten     nyg     0.1     3     -2.9

sf     kc     5.4     -1.5     6.9

dal     hou     7.2     2.5     4.7

buf     ne     10.8     13.5     -2.7

det     min     13.7     10.5     3.2

cin     car     0.3     -3.5     3.8

atl     no     6.0     4.5     1.5

pit     tb     0.0     -2.5     2.5

was     stl     -0.7     3.5     -4.2

phi     jac     -5.1     -3     -2.1

sd     sea     -5.7     -5.5     -0.2

oak     az     6.5     4     2.5

ind     den     -0.3     -6     5.7

nyj     mia     0.3     1.5     -1.2

gb     chi     -5.5     -3     -2.5

Major call - game of the week:

sf     kc     5.4     -1.5     6.9

Kansas City is 2-0, and the San Diego victory needs some explaining.  Why wouldn’t KC, a Pioli-managed team, not be on the rebound this year after a rebuilding year?  I’ll grant that 0-2 Frisco looked sort of good against the Saints, er, they still lost, and then they looked like death against the lowly Seahawks. 

Minor calls:

dal     hou     7.2     2.5     4.7

Dallas has been living on past glory alone, while Houston was recently living on Peyton Manning’s fear of blitzers. 

was     stl     -0.7     3.5     -4.2

I really like St. Louis, not to make the playoffs but at least to climb out of the primordial ooze.

ind     den     -0.3     -6     5.7

Why did Indianapolis lose a divisional game by 10 points?  Denver is at home here, and they have such a good home field advantage at 5000 feet up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week":
    sorry bro but brady is right about the stadium crowd.  they are pathetic.  look at the jets games and steelers games.  When is our stadium like that? yah never.  And really after one bad game the pats players dont care enough about the season? get real its a young team and the beginning of the season.
    Posted by changes1677

What do Patriots fans have to be excited about? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

What do Patriots fans have to be excited about? 
    Posted by TexasPat3

We don't root for the Browns or the Lions.

We have the best coach and QB in a QB driven league.

We have a promising young defense.

We're playing the Bills.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MatildaWanna. Show MatildaWanna's posts

We don't root for the Browns or the Lions. We have the best coach and QB in a QB driven league. We have a promising young defense. We're playing the Bills.
    Posted by digger0862
    Hmmmm! Browns and Lions you are ok on.
    Best coach and QB, you base that on the past, if you base it on what is going on right now in the NFL, yo are way off and dead wrong.

Promising Defense you say? Yes, they promise to get burnt with long passes, they promise to not put pressure on any quaterbacks, they promise to miss open field tackles and hold off any teams scoring in the second half's of any football games this season. THAT is VERY PROMISING! 

Oh and playing the Bills, yes the Bills that just replaced their quaterback and have Mr. Spiller that will run through New Englands non run stopping defense.

Good post!  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" :      What do Patriots fans have to be excited about? 
    Posted by TexasPat3

The Patriots, they're playing a game. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : Great job as always, TexPat, but I gotta pick one bone with you. Where does this idea come from-besides those with limited intelligence who parrot cliches the media gives them-that the Pats "do not care enough"? Where does this crap come from except the non-athletes in the media who like to wind up morons? Because they lose or have an off day they "don 't care"? How can anyone tell what's in another's mind and heart, especially fans without the necessary expertise to sometimes fully understand what's going on out there? There have even been yahoos suggesting that Brady cares less because he signed a big contract! I ask you, when has it ever been solely about money with Brady-or many other great athletes? You think he doesn't have pride or the desire to lift the Lombardi Trophy again just because his bank account is bigger? That is ridiculous, and any Pats fan who feels that way is an ingrate not appreciating ten years of what he and the Pats gave you. Honestly, simpletons and morons who let the media think for them-and are just parrots to boot-really oughts close their traps. Can I get an "AMEN", brothers!
    Posted by JintsFan

Amen, I prefer my football analysis to be without psychoanalysis. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Bring on the Bills!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from changes1677. Show changes1677's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" :      What do Patriots fans have to be excited about? 
    Posted by TexasPat3

umm maybe because theyre our home town football team? and we should be cheering for them through the good and bad.  You can be a fair weather fan all you want bro lol.  What makes me laugh even more is that its only 2 weeks into the season hahahah and were 1-1 not 0-2 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

We don't root for the Browns or the Lions. We have the best coach and QB in a QB driven league. We have a promising young defense. We're playing the Bills.
    Posted by digger0862

Did Brady and BB look like the best QB/coach tandem in football last week? That "promising young defense" stinks. But, they should play well enough to beat the Jills. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : Great job as always, TexPat, but I gotta pick one bone with you. Where does this idea come from-besides those with limited intelligence who parrot cliches the media gives them-that the Pats "do not care enough"? Where does this crap come from except the non-athletes in the media who like to wind up morons? Because they lose or have an off day they "don 't care"? How can anyone tell what's in another's mind and heart, especially fans without the necessary expertise to sometimes fully understand what's going on out there?

RESPONSE: How many games must the Patriots be outcoached and outplayed in the 4th quarter of games before this reality seeps in? At least part of that is not wanting it bad enough. To get embarrassed as they did last week by the Jets was shameful. Tom Brady doesn't seem to have the same fire he once did, Ditto with BB. This team now seems to accept losing. I've said it before and I'll say it again...the Pats, including Brady and BB, have never psychologically recovered from that SB loss to the Giants. Ever since that loss, the Pats have been going downhill.

There have even been yahoos suggesting that Brady cares less because he signed a big contract! I ask you, when has it ever been solely about money with Brady-or many other great athletes? You think he doesn't have pride or the desire to lift the Lombardi Trophy again just because his bank account is bigger?

RESPONSE: No. He has other things going on which distract him from football...including a super wealthy, super gorgeous wife, and his children. He's just not as dedicated as he once was. He was once the most dedicated player in the league. The slip is just human nature. 

That is ridiculous, and any Pats fan who feels that way is an ingrate not appreciating ten years of what he and the Pats gave you. Honestly, simpletons and morons who let the media think for them-and are just parrots to boot-really oughts close their traps. Can I get an "AMEN", brothers!

RESPONSE: This team is underachieving. The defense shouldn't be this bad. If it is...it's due to poor drafting, and coaching. It seems that BB has bitten off more than he can chew. Changes need to be made.
    Posted by JintsFan

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week":
    Tom Brady says he wants to hear more from the home-town fans. If the Patriots get off to a slow start on Sunday, he will...but he won't be hearing cheers. Patriot fans aren't stupid. They don't believe that the 2010 Patriots care enough, or are talented enough, to seriously contend. Tom and the boys gave them no reason to change their minds, after they played one of the worst halves of football in the history of the franchise...resulting in a 28-14 loss to the hated Jets: PICK: Bills 
    Posted by TexasPat3

That's it Tex, I've had it with your constant insults to the team.  You are a troll as far as I am concerned.  IGNORE!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : umm maybe because theyre our home town football team? and we should be cheering for them through the good and bad.  You can be a fair weather fan all you want bro lol.  What makes me laugh even more is that its only 2 weeks into the season hahahah and were 1-1 not 0-2 
    Posted by changes1677

Giving up on them and criticizing them are two different things. They are my team. I wish that I had reason for optimism, and to dole of praise. But, after that horrid performance in New York, I see no reason to attempt to deceive myself. I see many of the same problems that the Pats had last year. But, if you wish to continue sipping the kool aid, be my guest.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

1.) New York Jets (+2) @ Miami Dolphins: PICK: Dolphins;

2.) Tennessee Titans (+3) @ New York Giants:
    PICK:  Titans;

3.) Buffalo Bills (+14) @ New England Patriots: PICK: Patriots;

4.) Cleveland Browns (+10.5) @ Baltimore Ravens: PICK: Ravens;

5.)  Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5): PICK: Bus;

6.) Cincinnati Bengals @ Carolina Panthers (+3): PICK: Bengals;

7.) Atlanta Falcons (+3.5) @ New Orleans Saints: PICK: Saints;

8.) San Francisco 49ers @ Kansas City Chiefs (+3):
    PICK: Chiefs;

9.) Detroit Lions (+11) @ Minnesota Vikings: PICK: Vikings;

10.) Dallas Cowboys (+3) @ Houston Texans: PICK: Texans;

11.)  Washington Redskins @ St. Louis Rams (+3.5): PICK: Rams;

12.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+3):  PICK: Eagles;

13.) Indianapolis Colts @ Denver Broncos (+5.5): PICK: Broncos;

14.) San Diego Chargers @ Seattle Seahawks (+5.5):
    PICK: Seahawks;

15.) Oakland Raiders (+4.5) @ Arizona Cardinals:  PICK: Cardinals;

16.) Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears (+3): PICK: Bears.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" :      Giving up on them and criticizing them are two different things. They are my team. I wish that I had reason for optimism, and to dole of praise. But, after that horrid performance in New York, I see no reason to attempt to deceive myself. I see many of the same problems that the Pats had last year. But, if you wish to continue sipping the kool aid, be my guest.
    Posted by TexasPat3

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAT-from-India. Show PAT-from-India's posts

Texpat yor are nuts ...and you have proved once again

Bills is a lowly team as of today ...and Pats is still a top 10 team ...I agree terrific Tom did make 2 costly mistakes last game ... but that does not make him Midget...

Pats win comfortabley against Bills ... Thats the bottomline

Please do not be myopic in your analysis...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

1.)    New York Jets (+2) @ Miami Dolphins: The Jets have the 29th ranked offense in the NFL and frankly I don’t buy the hype. Miami looks like the best overall team in this division Pick: Fish;
    LOSS
    2.) Tennessee Titans (+3) @ New York Giants: I think Eli gave Peyton the ‘wink’ last week. PICK:  Giants;
    LOSS
    3.) Buffalo Bills (+14) @ New England Patriots: The Bills have the worst offense in the NFL this year PICK: Patriots by 20;
    LOSS
    4.) Cleveland Browns (+10.5) @ Baltimore Ravens:  PICK: Ravens;
    LOSS
    5.)  Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5): Steelers by a lot , not 2 PICK: Steelers;
    WIN
    6.) Cincinnati Bengals @ Carolina Panthers (+3): Rookie QB goes to school PICK: Bengals;
    WIN
    7.) Atlanta Falcons (+3.5) @ New Orleans Saints: Upset , Falcons win PICK: Falcons;
    WIN
    8.) San Francisco 49ers @ Kansas City Chiefs (+3):
    9ers played good vs NO and KC will fade at the midway point. The 0-2 team is better than the 2-0 team, take it to the bank,    PICK: 49ers;LOSS
    9.) Detroit Lions (+11) @ Minnesota Vikings: The Vikings will win...but by 11 points?
    PICK: Lions;
    LOSS
    10.) Dallas Cowboys (+3) @ Houston Texans: another 0-2 vs 2-0, the 0-2 wins again  PICK: Cowpokes;
    WIN
    11.)  Washington Redskins @ St. Louis Rams (+3.5):Rams cover and might win:
    PICK: Rams;
    WIN
    12.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+3):  The Jaguars are boring and mediocre:
    PICK: Eagles;
    WIN
    13.) Indianapolis Colts @ Denver Broncos (+5.5): Denver just isn’t good enough IMO to play the good teams closely PICK: Colts;
    WIN
    14.) San Diego Chargers @ Seattle Seahawks (+5.5): The Chargers D is not giving up big plays. Helmet on the football all game last week. Rivers will not be stopped this week or on 10/24 PICK: Chargers;
    LOSS
    15.) Oakland Raiders (+4.5) @ Arizona Cardinals:  Gradkowski is the best QB on the Raiders 
    PICK: Raiders;WIN

16.) Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears (+3): Will Cutler lead his team over the 500 mark for the first time since high school? I say no at 8-8 PICK: Packers.

Best Bets: Steelers,9ers,Eagles.

w         L    W

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Texpat yor are nuts ...and you have proved once again Bills is a lowly team as of today ...and Pats is still a top 10 team ...I agree terrific Tom did make 2 costly mistakes last game ... but that does not make him Midget... Pats win comfortabley against Bills ... Thats the bottomline Please do not be myopic in your analysis...
    Posted by PAT-from-India

Yes...the Patriots will beat the Bills. The only question is, will they cover the 14 point spread. But, even if the Patriots blow them out...which they very well could do...and win, say, 52-17...what does that prove? 

For this team to inspire confidence, their defense must play better on a consistent basis...and they must beat a quality team on the road.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

1.)     New York Jets (+2) @ Miami Dolphins: The Jets have the 29 th ranked offense in the NFL and frankly I don’t buy the hype. Miami looks like the best overall team in this division Pick: Fish; 2.) Tennessee Titans (+3) @ New York Giants: I think Eli gave Peyton the ‘wink’ last week. PICK:  Giants; 3.) Buffalo Bills (+14) @ New England Patriots: The Bills have the worst offense in the NFL this year PICK: Patriots by 20; 4.) Cleveland Browns (+10.5) @ Baltimore Ravens:  PICK: Ravens; 5.)  Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5): Steelers by a lot , not 2 PICK: Steelers; 6.) Cincinnati Bengals @ Carolina Panthers (+3): Rookie QB goes to school PICK: Bengals; 7.) Atlanta Falcons (+3.5) @ New Orleans Saints: Upset , Falcons win PICK: Falcons; 8.) San Francisco 49ers @ Kansas City Chiefs (+3): 9ers played good vs NO and KC will fade at the midway point. The 0-2 team is better than the 2-0 team, take it to the bank,       PICK: 49ers; 9.) Detroit Lions (+11) @ Minnesota Vikings: The Vikings will win...but by 11 points? PICK: Lions; 10.) Dallas Cowboys (+3) @ Houston Texans: another 0-2 vs 2-0, the 0-2 wins again   PICK: Cowpokes; 11.)  Washington Redskins @ St. Louis Rams (+3.5):Rams cover and might win : PICK: Rams; 12.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+3):  The Jaguars are boring and mediocre: PICK: Eagles; 13.) Indianapolis Colts @ Denver Broncos (+5.5): Denver just isn’t good enough IMO to play the good teams closely PICK: Colts; 14.) San Diego Chargers @ Seattle Seahawks (+5.5): The Chargers D is not giving up big plays. Helmet on the football all game last week. Rivers will not be stopped this week or on 10/24 PICK: Chargers; 15.) Oakland Raiders (+4.5) @ Arizona Cardinals:  Gradkowski is the best QB on the Raiders  PICK: Raiders; 16.) Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears (+3): Will Cutler lead his team over the 500 mark for the first time since high school? I say no at 8-8 PICK: Packers.      Best Bets: Steelers,9ers,Eagles. 
    Posted by jbolted

Bolt...why do you think that the Chargers are dragging their feet on trading Vincent Jackson? Their alleged price...a second and a third round draft choice, doesn't seem too unreasonable...although Jackson's contract demands, and off-field substance abuse issues may be scaring teams off.    

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

I don't get it Paul, in your dialouge you mention the quirky way in which NE Beat Cincy, Cincy beat Balt Balt beat the Jets, and the jets beat NE.  You bunch 3 of the 4 teams together at the top of your rankings but have Cincy all the way down at 18.  How's that work? 

You have SD picking up 5 spots after a strong home win vs. a questionable team but Indy loses one after its strong win against a less questionable team.  You have 2-0 Houston losing spots after a road win.  

Still just seems like disguised homerism.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I don't get it Paul, in your dialouge you mention the quirky way in which NE Beat Cincy, Cincy beat Balt Balt beat the Jets, and the jets beat NE.  You bunch 3 of the 4 teams together at the top of your rankings but have Cincy all the way down at 18.  How's that work?  You have SD picking up 5 spots after a strong home win vs. a questionable team but Indy loses one after its strong win against a less questionable team.  You have 2-0 Houston losing spots after a road win.   Still just seems like disguised homerism.
    Posted by Indylove

Hey Dog(gggg)...wanna hear a good one? I'm being accused of being you because I've been critical of the Patriots, and have spoken highly of the Colts...LOL!!!! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

I don't get it Paul, in your dialouge you mention the quirky way in which NE Beat Cincy, Cincy beat Balt Balt beat the Jets, and the jets beat NE.  You bunch 3 of the 4 teams together at the top of your rankings but have Cincy all the way down at 18.  How's that work?  You have SD picking up 5 spots after a strong home win vs. a questionable team but Indy loses one after its strong win against a less questionable team.  You have 2-0 Houston losing spots after a road win.   Still just seems like disguised homerism.
    Posted by Indylove

thats all his rankings are

the phins won their first 2 road games of the year and are at what? like 18?...take off the flying elvis glasses for a bit and watch some NFL paul

Sections
Shortcuts