WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week":
    In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" :      Hey Dog(gggg)...wanna hear a good one? I'm being accused of being you because I've been critical of the Patriots, and have spoken highly of the Colts...LOL!!!! 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Ok - so on Monday you want me to break down the games?  Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

no doubt jimmy. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" :      Bolt...why do you think that the Chargers are dragging their feet on trading Vincent Jackson? Their alleged price...a second and a third round draft choice, doesn't seem too unreasonable...although Jackson's contract demands, and off-field substance abuse issues may be scaring teams off.    
    Posted by TexasPat3

VJ should've signed the tender, came to camp, then renegotiated a new deal. Miles Austin did so and got 46MIL. Jackson's agent is a maroon.VJ is a great talent, but his character is not what the Chargers want. They will hold out for the picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I don't get it Paul, in your dialouge you mention the quirky way in which NE Beat Cincy, Cincy beat Balt Balt beat the Jets, and the jets beat NE.  You bunch 3 of the 4 teams together at the top of your rankings but have Cincy all the way down at 18.  How's that work?  You have SD picking up 5 spots after a strong home win vs. a questionable team but Indy loses one after its strong win against a less questionable team.  You have 2-0 Houston losing spots after a road win.   Still just seems like disguised homerism.
    Posted by Indylove

Red flag on field.  Upon further review, I checked my numbers and I managed to goof on the Indy versus Houston score.  That game should have been a mercy killing by my rules at the 3 minute mark with Houston 10 points ahead.  Then Houston scored another 7 points with 1:56 left to go in the game and at that point I applied my mercy rule at 17 points.  The last Indy touchdown with 1:15 left in the game was clearly tickytack, but upon further review, the Houston touchdown was tickytack too.  Grumble. New numbers coming up: 

For week 3, Indy is #4 with an estimated 10.9 victories out of 16 if the season started fresh tomorrow.  Houston is #7 with 10.0 victories.

Cincy was already pretty low.  They showed absolutely nothing whatsoever in preseason, which led my numbers to call them out for the Patriots game.  Then they just didn't show up in that first game, not until the Patriots went to a prevent offense/defense, so in a sense they got undeserved credit in my numerical rankings for making it "close", only a 14 point loss against rank rookies like Cunningham who needed the work, not a 28 point loss.  A 14 point loss and a 5 point win, both against good teams, would average out to a 4.5 point loss against both teams.  I have Cincy as a 7.7 victory team now.  Their regular season performance isn't particularly out of line with their preseason and late 2009 performance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : Ok - so on Monday you want me to break down the games? 
    Posted by Indylove

LOL!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : VJ should've signed the tender, came to camp, then renegotiated a new deal. Miles Austin did so and got 46MIL. Jackson's agent is a maroon.VJ is a great talent, but his character is not what the Chargers want. They will hold out for the picks.
    Posted by jbolted

Do you think that Charger's management may be driving too hard of a bargain for Jackson?  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/22/chargers.jackson.ap/index.html 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" :      Do you think that Charger's management may be driving too hard of a bargain for Jackson?   http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/22/chargers.jackson.ap/index.html  
    Posted by TexasPat3

i do, the phins got brandon marshall for 2, 2nd rounders and then signed him to the biggest WR deal in history

the chargers should be looking for a mix of 2nd + 5th or 3rd + 4th or whatever but its clear that jackson isnt as good as marshall, nor should his worth even approach what the phins paid

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

You have SD picking up 5 spots after a strong home win vs. a questionable team but Indy loses one after its strong win against a less questionable team.  You have 2-0 Houston losing spots after a road win.   Still just seems like disguised homerism.
    Posted by Indylove

Indylove will not be charged with a timeout. 

Houston played a pretty bad Washington team.  They overcame a 3 point home advantage and they hung 3 more points on Washington (in overtime!  Someday I might want to add a rule to deduct a point or two for sleazy overtime wins, but not now).  All this earned them a minor power rating increase.  The trouble is, other teams with large increases will often leapfrog ahead of a team that barely moves.

I have no homerism for or against Houston, and offhand I can name few players on that team. 

I severely question the New York Giants.  They looked horrid, 41 points behind Minnesota in the playoffs, they were 9 points behind the Jets in the functional part of the first preseason game, 6 points behind Pittsburgh in the second preseason, 28 points behind Baltimore in the third preseason, and 2 points behind New England in the fourth preseason game.  My numbers gave them credit for beating a rather bad Carolina team that might go 6-10.  Indy beat up the questionable Giants quite well, and gained in its basic power rating, but rankings are also about what the other NFL teams have done.

I would put the questionable Giants at about 6-10 and the questionable Jaguars (that San Diego beat up) at 5-11.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

Paul, you have Miami ranked at 18 and NE at 3. This is a joke right? You can't possibly be that much of a clueless homer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Paul, you have Miami ranked at 18 and NE at 3. This is a joke right? You can't possibly be that much of a clueless homer.
    Posted by perfect72

i wouldnt be so sure

his "formula" involves whatever keeps NEP at the top...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Bills SS Donte' Whitner says that he's tired of being laughed at, along with the rest of the Bills, by the Patriots: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/23/donte-whitner-tired-of-bills-being-laughingstocks/

Pardon me for chuckling...LOL!!!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Posted by perfect72

Actually, if you read the list you will see Miami at #13 with an 8.9 victory (out of 16) rating.  The ruling on the field stands.  Perfect72 will be assessed a timeout.

After two games, part of the Fins' ranking is still their performance late last year when they went 7-9 and finished December with three losses in a row.  If the Fins have taken super vitamin pills since then, the Commish would like to send those pills to a lab for some tests.  Otherwise, why wouldn't I expect that it's the same old fish?

Another part of the ranking is how the first string players performed in preseason.  The first string defense gave up a touchdown to lowly Tampa Bay and the first string offense didn't get it back.  Next week, they looked great against Jacksonville but Jville is no powerhouse.  The Fish looked awful against Atlanta's powerful offense. 

The final part is current games, which are pretty heavily weighted.  Miami gets some credit for squeaking by Buffalo and much more credit for squeaking by Minnesota.  I'm sure that Miami would always want to crush opponents if it had more offense or more defense, so it would be nice to see more out of Miami than two squeak-bys, but that's all they've shown. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Tex,

Agree with your picks except the following:

I'll go with the Fish and give the 2 vs. NYJ.  I'm impressed with Miami's defense and I can see a letdown from the Jets. 

My pick of the week: I'll take the Bucs getting 2.5 in an upset special in the heat against the Polamalus in their black shirts.  Frankly I think this is an easy pick. Tampa is playing inspired football, they are a bunch of young legs with a lot to prove.  Josh Freeman is a star in the making and Mike Williams is right behind him.  Wish the Pats drafted that guy.  Charlie Batch is starting for Pittsburgh...really?  Their offense might be worse than Carolina's right now.  I think he'll be lucky to top 100 yds. passing.  20-13 Bucs.

Lot of other home dogs this week.  A couple of them will cover, just not sure which.  Maybe KC with SF coming off a short week and a heartbreaking loss.

My take on the Pats: Bad half.  I blame BB.  Ryan made adjustments and Belichick didn't.  Also, missed tackles, poor execution.  Inexplicably going away from methodical offensive approach in favor of long, hopeless passes to Moss.  Butler was in position to make plays and never did.  I don't know what's up with that.  There were some good things, all in the first half unfortunately.  I don't agree that they don't care.  They came out firing, just fell flat. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" :      Do you think that Charger's management may be driving too hard of a bargain for Jackson?   http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/22/chargers.jackson.ap/index.html  
    Posted by TexasPat3

No I don't think it's unreasonable about AJ. This guy (agent) barely got Revis (the best corner in the game) in on time. Did you hear what Revis said after he signed his deal? That he'll look to sit after 2 years again and restructure. Tannebaum was shocked.
    Again, Jackson should've signed the 3.2 mil deal in June, came to camp, then, renegotiated after showing 'good faith'. On top of it VJ lacks character as demostrated by 2 DUI's and driving on suspended license the day of the playoff game withe Jets.
    His agent is a tool What's his name? Neil Schwantz

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : Actually, if you read the list you will see Miami at #13 with an 8.9 victory (out of 16) rating.  The ruling on the field stands.  Perfect72 will be assessed a timeout. After two games, part of the Fins' ranking is still their performance late last year when they went 7-9 and finished December with three losses in a row.  If the Fins have taken super vitamin pills since then, the Commish would like to send those pills to a lab for some tests.  Otherwise, why wouldn't I expect that it's the same old fish? Another part of the ranking is how the first string players performed in preseason.  The first string defense gave up a touchdown to lowly Tampa Bay and the first string offense didn't get it back.  Next week, they looked great against Jacksonville but Jville is no powerhouse.  The Fish looked awful against Atlanta's powerful offense.  The final part is current games, which are pretty heavily weighted.  Miami gets some credit for squeaking by Buffalo and much more credit for squeaking by Minnesota.  I'm sure that Miami would always want to crush opponents if it had more offense or more defense, so it would be nice to see more out of Miami than two squeak-bys, but that's all they've shown. 
    Posted by Paul_K

You're basing your rankings on pre-season and the end of last year? Are you serious? There has to be a punch line somewhere because you can't be that stupid. Can you? I guess Mike Nolan, Brandon Marshall, Karlos Dansby, Kao Misi, Vontae Davis, Cameron Wake, and a healthy Ronnie Brown don't count for anything. Please stop your nonsense, Your becoming the joke of this board. You make Rusty look objective.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

They're rankings dude, it's not like you win an Ice cream cone if your team is on top.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

They're rankings dude, it's not like you win an Ice cream cone if your team is on top.
    Posted by shenanigan

its that the rankings are non-sense...complete and utter foolishness with its only foot in reality because he actually uses NFL team names

personally...i could care less where the fish are in some rankings as long as they continue to win games...but if you are going to set aside time to rank the teams...at least make some sense, and dont include anything from the previous year...its the NFL, alot can change in the course of a week, nevermind a year

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : You're basing your rankings on pre-season and the end of last year? Are you serious? There has to be a punch line somewhere because you can't be that stupid. Can you? I guess Mike Nolan, Brandon Marshall, Karlos Dansby, Kao Misi, Vontae Davis, Cameron Wake, and a healthy Ronnie Brown don't count for anything. Please stop your nonsense, Your becoming the joke of this board. You make Rusty look objective.
    Posted by perfect72

Let's be perfectly clear here.Though the east has 3 decent teams, none of them -to include the fish- is dominate.  The AFC rep in the SB will be from the AFC north or west this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

Smart play on words there Jbolt. It's not going to be the Chargers either. I also think calling the 3 afc east teams "decent" is  underestimating the Pats, Fins, and Jets. You don't have the slightest clue how the season is going to shake out, either do I. I do know any of those 3 teams would beat San Diego especially without Jackson.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

TP3 make your picks by all means and analyze all you wish.  I cannot concur in your assessment of the Pats.  In week 1 the Pats offense faired pretty well against a Cincy defense that was ranked 4th in the league last year and I am NOT including either the Guyton or Tate TDs in the mix.  The O didnt' cut the mustard in the second half against the Jets, no question.  I can't understand walking out on a ledge after one loss against a tough opponent. 

The D is young: 7 new D starters, 3 of them rooks.  They need time.

Can't believe how some are jumping ship on this team after 1 & 1 start.  And by jumping ship I mean being ready to condemn so early in the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

ATJ, what worries me is the play calling. I know the D is young and they'll get better as the season plays on but in order for this to happen and get some W's the O has to be able to carry them. Throwing it downfield like they did last week/year in the second half of games kills them. What's worse is they don't seem to be able to identify that it's not working and make changes. The Pats used to destroy teams with ball/clock control. They would keep a D on the field until they can't run anymore and then air it out.
    Posted by Sam-Adams

I don't disagree, Sam.  They seemed to do a better job of spreading the ball around against Cincy than they did against the Jets.  For some reason, Brady appeared to be locked in on Moss a lot of the time.  Really like to see them hit some short and mid-range and then look for the down the field stuff.  I'd also like to see more of that bread-n-butter screen pass of theirs.  But then the season is still quite young.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : I don't disagree, Sam.  They seemed to do a better job of spreading the ball around against Cincy than they did against the Jets.  For some reason, Brady appeared to be locked in on Moss a lot of the time.  Really like to see them hit some short and mid-range and then look for the down the field stuff.  I'd also like to see more of that bread-n-butter screen pass of theirs.  But then the season is still quite young.
    Posted by ATJ

But really it was just the second half of the game where they got away from that approach.  Frankly, it's inexplicable to me.  Without reviewing game film, I suspect that the Jets made adjustments that took some of that stuff away and the Pats never countered.  They moved the ball well in the last drive (prior to the fumble) when they went back to the methodical approach, although by then the Jets were playing "no doubles" defense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP3 make your picks by all means and analyze all you wish.  I cannot concur in your assessment of the Pats.  In week 1 the Pats offense faired pretty well against a Cincy defense that was ranked 4th in the league last year and I am NOT including either the Guyton or Tate TDs in the mix.  The O didnt' cut the mustard in the second half against the Jets, no question.  I can't understand walking out on a ledge after one loss against a tough opponent.  The D is young: 7 new D starters, 3 of them rooks.  They need time. Can't believe how some are jumping ship on this team after 1 & 1 start.  And by jumping ship I mean being ready to condemn so early in the season.
    Posted by ATJ

Seems that whenever someone criticizes the Pats, that they're accused of jumping ship. Where did I say that I was doing that?

I rate the team, game by game...and the Pats were awful last week. This team has serious problems on defense...and aren't playing well in the second half of games. I'm not going to bury my head in the sand about these things. Nor do I buy your excuses for their failures. The Pats are having the same problems in 2010 that they had in 2009.

As for this week, I believe that the Pats will beat the Bills. The only question is, can they cover a 14 point spread? But, even if the Pats beat them 50-0, what will that prove? Until the Pats correct their second half blues, and start playing better defense...they're going nowhere. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Smart play on words there Jbolt. It's not going to be the Chargers either. I also think calling the 3 afc east teams "decent" is  underestimating the Pats, Fins, and Jets. You don't have the slightest clue how the season is going to shake out, either do I. I do know any of those 3 teams would beat San Diego especially without Jackson.
    Posted by perfect72

Unlike you, I was at the game last year when your Fish came to SD and got bounced, Miami looking average at best (NO QB still). A 15-10 win over Buffalo,the worst offense in the league and a W over the injury depleted Vikes hardly impresses me. You should be fortunate to be over 500 IMO.The Pats are shaky on D/OL/RB.The Jets are most overrated team in the past 10 years.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: WEEK 3 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week" : Unlike you, I was at the game last year when your Fish came to SD and got bounced, Miami looking average at best (NO QB still). The Pats are shaky on D/OL/RB.The Jets are most overrated team in the past 10 years.  
    Posted by jbolted

All I want to know is should I get Tolbert or Sproles in my fantasy lineup this week?

Sections
Shortcuts