WEEK 7 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

WEEK 7 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

Onward to Week Seven (7). Though the Pats barely escaped Week Six (6) with a win, win they did, against a quality opponent. But, the win appeared to come at a huge cost...as our injury ravaged Boys in Blue lost more three key players in Aqib Talib (hip), Jarod Mayo (shoulder), and Danny Amendola (concussion). Lord knows if this will be the week that Gronk finally returns. Don't you love the way that the media is trying to make a big thing out of how he's practicing with the team weekly, but not playing? Judging by how the Patriots are playing, do any of you really think that his teammates are so irked, that his situation is affecting the team chemistry? In any event, here's my picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (6-0) Denver Broncos @ (4-2) Indianapolis Colts (+6): The Colts are planning festivities to honor the returning Peyton Manning to the "House That The Horseface Built".  But, doesn't this seem a bit much? To my knowledge, Peyton has not announced his retirement, effective at the conclusion of this season. The Colts have moved on nicely with Andrew Luck, and appear to have a great chance of winning the AFC South. So, why would management decide that the time is right to celebrate the "Ruturn of the Horseface"? Does management really want to see Colts fans rooting for Manning, as much or more than they will be rooting for the Colts? The steamroll that is the Denver offense continues to roll...while the Colts are still smarting from their Monday night loss in San Diego: PICK: Broncos;

2.) (5-1) Seattle Seahawks @ (3-3) Arizona Cardinals (+6): Though the Cards gave the 49ers a game for a while last week, they faded under the brute force of a more physical team. Look for more of the same this week: PICK: Seahawks;

3.) (5-1) New England Patriots @ (2-4) NY Jets (+4): How many more injuries can the Patriots withstand? They'll likely be facing the Jets without their three best defenders, Vince Wilfolk, Jerod Mayo, and Aqib Talib. In order for the Patriots to thrive and survive this week, they'll need a much better performance from their OL...which has allowed 36 year old Tom Brady to take far too many hits this season. Both teams will attempt to establish the run. Judging from how badly the Pats' front seven got pushed around last week against the Saints, this could be an issue for the Pats' "D". That said, the Jets don't have a Drew Brees, a Jimmy Graham, or a Darren Sproles for Pats' defenders to concern themselves with: PICK: Patriots;

4.) (3-3) San Diego Chargers @ (0-6) Jacksonville Jaguars (+7.5): The Chargers showed their physicality in beating the Colts last week. The Jags gained a token of respect for hanging around for a half against "The Horsefaces" in Denver, and in covering a 27.5 point spread last week. Nonetheless, the Jags are the worst team in the NFL: PICK: Chargers;

5.) (2-4) Houston Texans (+6.5) @ (6-0) Kansas City Chiefs: The wheels are falling off the Houston band wagon, as poor QB play and, of late, poor defensive play, have taken it's toll. Houston QB Matt Schaub was cheered when he suffered an ankle injury. Look for it to get even more ugly in Houston soon: PICK: Chiefs;

6.) (4-2) Cincinnati Bengals (+3) @ (4-2) Detroit Lions: This game drew some consideration for "Game of the Week", except that I really don't think that it's going to be much of a game: PICK: Lions;

7.) (2-4) Buffalo Bills (+8.5) @ (3-2) Miami Dolphins: After an impressive start, the 'Fins have lost two in a row...and have glaring OL troubles. The Bills' top four QBs (E.J. Manuel, Kevin Kolb, Jeff Tuel, and Thaddeus Lewis are injured. They just signed Matt Flynn to fill in. Still, Miami doesn't score enough to cover such a large spread: PICK: Bills;

8.) (4-2) Chicago Bears (+1) @ (1-4) Washington Redskins: Though I don't see the Bears as a powerhouse, it's hard to believe that their underdogs this week against the (1-4) Redskins: PICK: Bears;

9.) (3-3) Dallas Cowboys (+2.5) @ (3-3) Philadelphia Eagles: Huge divisional game for both teams. Both have shown that they can score, but neither have shown that they can stop anyone defensively. Should be a fun game to watch: PICK: Eagles;

10.) (3-3) St. Louis Rams (+6) @ (2-3) Carolina Panthers: Both teams are coming off blow-out wins over disappointing teams on the road (Rams crushed Houston, 38-13, and Carolina destroyed Minnesota, 35-10). Both teams can play defense. In a match between QBs Sam Bradford and Cam Newton: PICK: Panthers;

11.) (0-5) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+7.5) @ (1-4) Atlanta Falcons: Talk about disappointing teams, the Falcons are a mess. Though ampa has had troubles scoring, they do have a defense: PICK: Buccaneers;

12.) (4-2) San Francisco 49ers @ (3-3) Tennessee Titans (+4.5): After some early season struggles, the 49ers appear to have their act together. Tennessee is a good QB away from becoming a very good team: PICK: 49ers;

13.) (3-3) Cleveland (+10.5) @ (3-2) Green Bay Packers: With Brian Hoyer out for the season, and Brandon Weeden being Brandon Weeden, the Browns are a mess offensively. Though the Packers have a ton of injuries, they still have Aaron Rodgers, and, of late, have developed a pretty good running game: PICK: Packers;

14.) (3-3) Baltimore Ravens (+2) @ (1-4) Pittsburgh Steelers: Always a gritty, physical game between two teams that really dislike one another. This is a huge game for the Steelers. A win would afford them an opportunity to crawl back into the AFC North race, while a loss, for all intents and purposes, will end their season: PICK: Ravens;

15.) (1-4) Minnesota Vikings (+3) @ (0-6) NY Giants: The Vikings' QB situation is a mess, now that the Christian Ponder error is apparently over, and after Matt Cassel laid an egg last week against the Panthers. The Vikings newly signed QB, Josh Freeman, is likely to get the call this week. The Giants OL and DL have been terrible throughout the season. PICK: Giants.

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcome.

In particular, I'd like your predictions or analysis on how you see the Pats/Jets game, this Sunday. Have a great day!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: WEEK 7 NFL PICKS and

BEST BETS: Lions, Patriots, Chiefs, Eagles.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Rex Ryan at it again:

Ryan: Jets will top Patriots if fans bring it October, 15, 2013 Oct 15 12:16 PM ET By Rich Cimini, ESPNNewYork.com   FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan made a guarantee for Sunday against the New England Patriots.

Ryan Issuing a challenge to New York Jets fans, Ryan said Monday they will win the game if the fans can re-create the raucous stadium atmosphere from Sept. 20, 2009. That day, the Jets hit Tom Brady so hard and so often that they beat the stuffing out of (him) -- that is, if he wore them in those days.

"If you make it like that," Ryan said during his weekly spot on ESPN New York 98.7 FM, "we're gonna beat this team."

Ryan said it was so loud that day that he could feel the ground shaking beneath his feet. But here's the problem: That was in the old Giants Stadium, a little cozier and a lot louder than MetLife Stadium. The Jets' new home simply doesn't have the same atmosphere. The cavernous stadium doesn't hold the noise as well as the old place, and there's less noise being generated because a lot of the hardcore fans have been replaced by the fat cats who'd rather sip Chardonnay in a club suite than scream their lungs out in an outdoor seat.

Such is life in modern sports society, sadly.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I’m now 6-0 in my games of the week.  This is obviously my best year of the past five, but none of the other four years were bad.

It’s not simply that I’m running over all of the Las Vegas pros like they were squirrels on the road, but that I don’t really care either.  I don’t have the time for this stuff. 

My own power rankings for week 7:

1   den   13.9   (last wk. 1)

2   sea   11.8   (last wk. 2)

3   gb   11.8   (last wk. 4)

4   kc   11.5   (last wk. 12)

5   no   11.5   (last wk. 3)

6   sf   11.0   (last wk. 5)

7   ind   10.6   (last wk. 7)

8   dal   10.4   (last wk. 10)

9   car   10.3   (last wk. 15)

10   det   9.9   (last wk. 13)

11   sd   9.6   (last wk. 18)

12   ten   9.3   (last wk. 22)

13   phi   9.2   (last wk. 27)

14   ne   9.0   (last wk. 6)

15   az   8.7   (last wk. 17)

16   oak   8.4   (last wk. 26)

17   bal   8.3   (last wk. 8)

18   cin   8.0   (last wk. 11)

19   mia   8.0   (last wk. 14)

20   atl   6.8   (last wk. 16)

21   cle   6.6   (last wk. 9)

22   stl   6.3   (last wk. 29)

23   buf   5.6   (last wk. 25)

24   tb   5.4   (last wk. 21)

25   chi   5.4   (last wk. 24)

26   hou   4.9   (last wk. 19)

27   nyj   4.8   (last wk. 23)

28   was   4.5   (last wk. 30)

29   nyg   4.1   (last wk. 31)

30   min   4.1   (last wk. 20)

31   pit   3.9   (last wk. 28)

32   jac   2.3   (last wk. 32)

My own point spreads

Visitor / Home / My Own Points / Las Vegas’s opinion / Difference

sea   az    0.5   -6   6.5

dal   phi    0.7   2.5   -1.8

sd   jac    -1.6   -7.5   5.9

cin   det    5.9   3   2.9

stl   car    9.2   6   3.2

buf   mia    9.6   8.5   1.1

ne   nyj    -4.4   -4   -0.4

chi   was    0.1   1   -0.9

hou   kc    11.8   6.5   5.3

tb   atl    6.2   7.5   -1.3

sf   ten    5.9   -4.5   10.4

bal   pit    -1.2   2   -3.2

cle   gb    11.5   10.5   1.0

den   ind    0.5   -6   6.5

min   nyg    6.7   3   3.7

For last week’s game of the week I had my cake and ate it too.  Baltimore was giving up three points at home according to Vegas, and they only gave up two points, but Baltimore still lost.  I’ll take it.

Let’s line the candidates up for week 7, then check the web for recent injury issues.  See ya later.

sf   ten    5.9   -4.5   10.4   Not bad at first glance!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Looks good.  My week 7 Game of the Week is Tennessee, the 4.5 point home underdog, to at least play San Francisco tough.  Ryan Fitzpatrick has been playing only two starts with Tennessee but he and the boys have done ok.  San Francisco just lost their second nose tackle, Dorsey, to injury in the first quarter of Sunday's game.  Late in the fourth quarter they finally put away Arizona.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has been playing only two starts with Tennessee but he and the boys have done ok.  Tennessee could not beat Seattle at Seattle, a task and a half, primarily because one of the Tennessee players couldn't pick up a Seattle fumble late in the game and run it back.  SF is a notorious home tiger and road wimp, this game being at least 2,000 miles from San Fran, and traveling east is for some reason a bit worse for teams than traveling west.  Short sleep?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

sf   ten    5.9   -4.5   10.4  Best discrepancy by far for week 7.

Az did well against San Francisco, and the Cardinals will be playing at home in their desert.  Seattle is a great team at home except they weren’t yesterday, and now they’re not at home.  Without knowing precisely why Seattle was so mediocre, this game looks like a legitimate pick.

Leaners:

I don’t see why, if inept Jacksonville can hold Denver down for three quarters in Denver, Indianapolis can’t do the same for four quarters.  Indy is steadily competent, says my ranking system.  I’m going to drop this game to a leaner simply because Peyton Manning knows his way around Indy’s dome.

The San Diego/Jacksonville game doesn’t quite get my full stamp of approval.  It may be that Jacksonville, having no playoff hopes, decided that their entire season rested on beating up mighty Denver.  I don’t know if they’ll play as hard against Sandy Eggo.  Leaner.

Houston has the rep but not the players, especially not QB Schaub.  KC has the players but not the rep.  Nice strong leaner. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Could losing to the Patriots for a second time cost Rex his job?: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-rival-patriots-jets-hurdle-article-1.1485745

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I might be delusional but I think Carolina is underrated and that's a good pick. They have a pretty good defense and while both blow out victories were against weak teams they were blow outs. Cam Newton runs hot and cold. I just hope he is cold against the Pats later this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

I might be delusional but I think Carolina is underrated and that's a good pick. They have a pretty good defense and while both blow out victories were against weak teams they were blow outs. Cam Newton runs hot and cold. I just hope he is cold against the Pats later this year.

I don't think you're delusional at all. Carolina is a good team. Just how good a team depends on the performance of their offense. But, they have a very good defense, led by LB Crazy Luke Kueckly. They're going to be a very tough match-up for the Patriots, down the road.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Truly awful boston.com editing ability!  Someone is going to get canned for sure.  So sorry!

Could losing to the Patriots for a second time cost Rex his job?: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-rival-patriots-jets-hurdle-article-1.1485745

Ryan survives because he's a good defensive coordinator.  He's in a bad system.  This year some doof drafted two guys with shoulder problems in the high first round.

He's a pretty bad coach himself.  His Captain Bligh approach causes desertions on-field, the classic one being in week 17 with the playoffs on the line.

Ryan helped with the Sanchize's ruin in two ways.  First, he applied raw pressure when he should have gotten the guy a good
    tutor or role model.  Josh McDaniels probably could have done something better with the guy.  Second, Rex put the
    Sanchize into the fourth quarter of a preseason game to win the Snoopy bowl.  Rex got his trophy and the Sanchize got a
    season-ending shoulder injury in the preseason game.

Sections
Shortcuts