Week Eight NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Week Eight NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

With the Pats on their bye week, perhaps its' a good time to attend to that yard work you've been putting off...or to take the wife for a drive through the Berkshires, and view what's left of the folliage. But, for you hard core pigskin maniacs who care no matter whose playing, here are my picks...with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) Minnesota Vikings (+3) @ Green Bay Packers: Though those suffering from Favre fatigue may strongly disagree, for sheer NFL drama, this game is the one to see. The Packers, like the Patriots, have feasted off lesser teams for the past couple of weeks...and are playing much better ball than they were when they first faced Brett in Minnesota. Nonetheless, the Vikings are smarting from their first loss of the season...and do not want to see their 40 year old leader humiliated. Can't wait for this one!
    PICK: Vikings;

2.) Denver Broncos (+3.5) @ Baltimore Ravens:
    This is a huge game for the Ravens, who can ill afford to fall another game behind the Steelers and Bengals. Like the Ravens, the Broncos have had two weeks to prepare for this one. Josh McDaniels will have them ready:
    PICK: Broncos;

3.) Cleveland Browns (+13.5) @ Chicago Bears: 
    Should Jay Cutler's Bears drop this one, they collectively had better jump into Lake Michigan and swim for Canada. But, there won't be a run on wet suits in the Chicago area. The Bears will win...but not by two touchdowns:
    PICK: Browns;

4.) Houston Texans @ Buffalo Bills (+3.5): Even with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB, the Bills will play the Jeckyl and Hyde Texans tough. 
    PICK: Bills;

5.) San Francisco 49ers (+12.5) @ Indianapolis Colts: The 49ers run the ball well enough to give the Colts "D" some trouble. Alex Smith will regain his starting status for good with a solid effort Sunday. I'm tempted to pick the 49ers in an upset. But Peyton Manning is playing much to well right now to allow that to happen:
    PICK: Colts;

6.) Miami Dolphins (+3) @ NY Jets: Huge divisional battle for both teams. If Miami loses, they'll drop to 2-5, and likely have no shot at making the playoffs. If the 4-3 Jets lose, they'll fall to 1-3 in the AFC East...and could be on their way to being cellar dwellers in the division. Expect a low scoring, grind it out, throwback type game:
    PICK: Jets;

7.) St. Louis Rams (+4) @ Detroit Lions: Yes...the Lions are favored!! This could be the Rams' best shot at earning a victory this season:
    PICK: Rams;

8.) Seattle Seahawks (+9.5) @ Dallas Cowboys: Give some people inches, and they'll takes miles. Case in point? The Cowboys' Miles Austin, who has come out of nowhere to assume the role of #1 WR, and savior to the Cowboys' season. Suddenly, Tony Romo looks like a star QB again.
    PICK: Cowboys;

9.) Oakland Raiders (+16.5) @ San Diego Chargers: Richard Seymour called out his teamates after the Raiders suffered their lated indignity, a 38-0 loss at home to the Jets. But, didn't Seymour also guarantee that the Raiders would make the playoffs? 
    PICK: Raiders; 

10.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+3) @ Tennessee Titans: You would think that, after getting humiliated 59-0 by the Patriots, that the Titans would come out with fire in their eyes for this one. But, haven't we, and everyone else, been saying that sort of thing about the Titans every week? You are what you are...it is what it is:
    PICK: Jaguars;

11.) Carolina Panthers (+10) @ Arizona Cardinals: The Cards are playing like the 2008 Cards again. How many DelHommes (defined as a French word for turnover) will Jake serve up this week?
    PICK: Cardinals;

12.) New York Giants (+1) @ Philadelphia Eagles:
    What has happened to these teams? The Giants looked like the best team in the NFC two weeks ago. But now, their defense can't seem to stop anybody. The seemingly powerhouse Eagles actually lost to the Raiders! Furthermore, the Eagles "D" allowed the Washington Redskins to actually score 17 points! These are two teams in desparate need of a Miles Austin-like injection:
    PICK: Giants;

13.) Atlanta Falcons (+10) @ New Orleans Saints: Look for the Saints to rebound after getting a scare in Miami:
    PICK: Saints.

BEST BETS: Cowboys, Cardinals, Saints

Thoughts?    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Week Eight NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

We have dueling titles.  Oops.  This title was your creation originally so I'll move over.

Last week was ugly for me.  Small calls: 3–1.  Biggest calls:  1 – 4. Groan. 

At this point the bookie thoughtfully says, “You can always join this religious cult that I know about in Idaho, you know, they’re a bit strict, you chant before dawn, sacrifice a few goats at midnight, nobody really ever comes back from there.”  But that would be a faith worse than debt.

Season Totals: 5-3 small calls, 4-5 big calls.  Putting 2 points on a big call and 1 point on a small call, I’ve broken even. 

In reality, putting no actual points on any of my calls, I’ve done better than almost all gamblers everywhere.  I’m simply trying to find out if I get any signal at all, versus the spread, over a long time.  Onward to week 8.

sea       dal            6.5            9.5            -3.0  small for seattle

cle        chi            4.4            13.5            -9.1  large for Cleveland to cover

hou       buf            1.5            -3.5            5.0  large for buffalo

jac        ten            0.1            3            -2.9  small for jacksonville

nyg       phi            2.1            3            -0.9  too insignificant to call, but Eagles wr curtis is out.  -2 for phi gives a small for nyg.

oak      sd            13.0            17            -4.0  sitting on my significance borderline, so I’ll say large for Oakland to cover

car       az            16.3            9            7.3  large for Arizona to blow out Carolina

atl         no            5.9            10            -4.1  large for Atlanta to cover.

Biggest calls:  Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland, Arizona, Atlanta

stl         det            5.2            4              1.2 insignificant.

mia       nyj            2.0            3.5            -1.5  too insignificant to call versus the spread

den       bal            2.7            3            -0.3  too insignificant to call

sf          ind            13.3            11.5            1.8  too insignificant to call

min       gb            0.7            3            -2.3  was small for min, Vikings CB Winfield out.  -2 points. injury reduces this to insignificant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Week Eight NFL Picks and "Game of the Week":
    [QUOTE]     With the Pats on their bye week, perhaps its' a good time to attend to that yard work you've been putting off...or to take the wife for a drive through the Berkshires, and view what's left of the folliage. But, for you hard core pigskin maniacs who care no matter whose playing, here are my picks...with the "Game of the Week" being: 1.) Minnesota Vikings (+3) @ Green Bay Packers:  Though those suffering from Favre fatigue may strongly disagree, for sheer NFL drama, this game is the one to see. The Packers, like the Patriots, have feasted off lesser teams for the past couple of weeks...and are playing much better ball than they were when they first faced Brett in Minnesota. Nonetheless, the Vikings are smarting from their first loss of the season...and do not want to see their 40 year old leader humiliated. Can't wait for this one! PICK: Vikings; 2.) Denver Broncos (+3.5) @ Baltimore Ravens: This is a huge game for the Ravens, who can ill afford to fall another game behind the Steelers and Bengals. Like the Ravens, the Broncos have had two weeks to prepare for this one. Josh McDaniels will have them ready: PICK: Broncos; 3.) Cleveland Browns (+13.5) @ Chicago Bears:  Should Jay Cutler's Bears drop this one, they collectively had better jump into Lake Michigan and swim for Canada. But, there won't be a run on wet suits in the Chicago area. The Bears will win...but not by two touchdowns: PICK: Browns; 4.) Houston Texans @ Buffalo Bills (+3.5): Even with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB, the Bills will play the Jeckyl and Hyde Texans tough.  PICK: Bills; 5.) San Francisco 49ers (+12.5) @ Indianapolis Colts: The 49ers run the ball well enough to give the Colts "D" some trouble. Alex Smith will regain his starting status for good with a solid effort Sunday. I'm tempted to pick the 49ers in an upset. But Peyton Manning is playing much to well right now to allow that to happen: PICK: Colts; 6.) Miami Dolphins (+3) @ NY Jets: Huge divisional battle for both teams. If Miami loses, they'll drop to 2-5, and likely have no shot at making the playoffs. If the 4-3 Jets lose, they'll fall to 1-3 in the AFC East...and could be on their way to being cellar dwellers in the division. Expect a low scoring, grind it out, throwback type game: PICK: Jets; 7.) St. Louis Rams (+4) @ Detroit Lions:  Yes...the Lions are favored!! This could be the Rams' best shot at earning a victory this season: PICK: Rams; 8.) Seattle Seahawks (+9.5) @ Dallas Cowboys: Give some people inches, and they'll takes miles. Case in point? The Cowboys' Miles Austin, who has come out of nowhere to assume the role of #1 WR, and savior to the Cowboys' season. Suddenly, Tony Romo looks like a star QB again. PICK: Cowboys; 9.) Oakland Raiders (+16.5) @ San Diego Chargers: Richard Seymour called out his teamates after the Raiders suffered their lated indignity, a 38-0 loss at home to the Jets. But, didn't Seymour also guarantee that the Raiders would make the playoffs?  PICK: Raiders;  10.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+3) @ Tennessee Titans: You would think that, after getting humiliated 59-0 by the Patriots, that the Titans would come out with fire in their eyes for this one. But, haven't we, and everyone else, been saying that sort of thing about the Titans every week? You are what you are...it is what it is: PICK: Jaguars; 11.) Carolina Panthers (+10) @ Arizona Cardinals: The Cards are playing like the 2008 Cards again. How many DelHommes (defined as a French word for turnover) will Jake serve up this week? PICK: Cardinals; 12.) New York Giants (+1) @ Philadelphia Eagles: What has happened to these teams? The Giants looked like the best team in the NFC two weeks ago. But now, their defense can't seem to stop anybody. The seemingly powerhouse Eagles actually lost to  the Raiders ! Furthermore, the Eagles "D" allowed the Washington Redskins to actually score 17 points! These are two teams in desparate need of a Miles Austin-like injection: PICK: Giants; 13.) Atlanta Falcons (+10) @ New Orleans Saints: Look for the Saints to rebound after getting a scare in Miami: PICK: Saints.      BEST BETS: Cowboys, Cardinals, Saints      Thoughts?                                                                            
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Well, its going to be interesting for a NH boy captive in the OC. Whenever the raiders are featured at the local sports bar, its an animal house atmosphere. bolts fans are not far behind, so it'll be quite a show. I put the over/under on fourth quarter fights at about 10, and I couldn't care less who wins.

Jets v fins; why couldn't  both teams loose?

saints v falcons should be the most watchable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Tex: I went 9-3-1 last week against the spread. We’ll see about this week. 

1.)Minnesota Vikings (+3) @ Green Bay Packers: I like the Pack at home. The 12th man gets it done. MIN looked off at the skill positions while playing physical @PIT last week. GB has given up 3 points the last 2 weeks. Although MIN is much better than DET & CLE, 1 FG in 8 qtrs is pretty good 
    PICK: Pack;

2.) Denver Broncos (+3.5) @ Baltimore Ravens: The 1st INTs for Orton and very ‘hungry for W’ Raven team @home is the factor. IMO BAL could be 6-0 right now. The Donks are the Titans of last year. Very good all season, then, 1 & done in JAN    PICK: Ravens;

3.) Cleveland Browns (+13.5) @ Chicago Bears: Cutler has Bear fans kicking the dog on Monday morning PICK: Browns;

4.) Houston Texans @ Buffalo Bills (+3.5) I’m sold on the Buffalo Dline so far this season. To move to 5-3 for HOU would be the biggest win since the HOU Texans became a team. Aint going to happen though @BUF PICK: Bills;

5.) San Francisco 49ers (+12.5) @ Indianapolis Colts: Take the 9ers & the points. If 10 or less I say Indy. After playing TEN & STL the colts experience a slight drop off as the 9ers are no cupcake that those two are this season PICK: 9ers;

6.) Miami Dolphins (+3) @ NY Jets: Fish win outright on the road PICK: Fish;

7.) St. Louis Rams (+4) @ Detroit Lions: Lions will cruise this week. The best game for Lion fans in 4 years. The Rams, who aveage 8.5 points a game, have the worst Oline (by alot) in football. The Lions have been decent thus far at home, look it up. PICK: Lions;

8.) Seattle Seahawks (+9.5) @ Dallas Cowboys: 9.5 is a lot but I think DAL will cover it. PICK: Cowboys;

9.) Oakland Raiders (+16.5) @ San Diego Chargers: Tex obviously did not watch the Chargers at KC. The Chargers could’ve put up 50 but held back with 7 minutes to go. Cassel passed for 97 yards as the Charger DBs collected 3 picks. The SD defense gave up 200 total yards to KC & the offense gained 403 just like I said they would last week. I like the Chargers to win by 20 with Gradkowski at QB for OAK PICK: Chargers; 

10.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+3) @ Tennessee Titans: what are the Titans playing for? Fisher gets fired after this season and gets hired by Indy as a DB coach next year PICK: Jaguars;

11.) Carolina Panthers (+10) @ Arizona Cardinals: The Cards are playing like the 2008 Cards again. Cards just might go far if the D keeps this up PICK: Cardinals;

12.) New York Giants (+1) @ Philadelphia Eagles: Giants will be 7-6 after the next 6 weeks are done. I like how PHI played physical last week. I like the eagles at home as ELI blows it again
    :
    PICK: Eagles;

13.) Atlanta Falcons (+10) @ New Orleans Saints: Ryan looked off at DAL. NO looked vunerable at MIA. This game is tough PICK: Saints.

BEST BETS: Lions, and yes BAL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

A lot of sucker lines it seems here.  Looks like college football.  

I say take the points on all the 10+ spreads and Oakland and Seattle. 

Baltimore, Houston, Minny, Giants, Jags, Fins, Lions

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

And here is my preliminary Patriots' line (as of10/28 at least) for the rest of the season:

vs mia, ne by 5.9 points

@ ind, ind by 1.6 points

vs nyj, ne by 6.9 points

@ no, no by 1.0 points

@ mia, mia by 0.1 points

vs car, ne by 19.3 points

@ buf, ne by 7.4 points

vs jac  ne, ne by 19.7 points

@ hou, ne by 5.9 points

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

In Response to Week Eight NFL Picks and "Game of the Week":
    [QUOTE]     With the Pats on their bye week, perhaps its' a good time to attend to that yard work you've been putting off...or to take the wife for a drive through the Berkshires, and view what's left of the folliage. But, for you hard core pigskin maniacs who care no matter whose playing, here are my picks...with the "Game of the Week" being: 1.) Minnesota Vikings (+3) @ Green Bay Packers:  Though those suffering from Favre fatigue may strongly disagree, for sheer NFL drama, this game is the one to see. The Packers, like the Patriots, have feasted off lesser teams for the past couple of weeks...and are playing much better ball than they were when they first faced Brett in Minnesota. Nonetheless, the Vikings are smarting from their first loss of the season...and do not want to see their 40 year old leader humiliated. Can't wait for this one! PICK: Vikings; 2.) Denver Broncos (+3.5) @ Baltimore Ravens: This is a huge game for the Ravens, who can ill afford to fall another game behind the Steelers and Bengals. Like the Ravens, the Broncos have had two weeks to prepare for this one. Josh McDaniels will have them ready: PICK: Broncos; 3.) Cleveland Browns (+13.5) @ Chicago Bears:  Should Jay Cutler's Bears drop this one, they collectively had better jump into Lake Michigan and swim for Canada. But, there won't be a run on wet suits in the Chicago area. The Bears will win...but not by two touchdowns: PICK: Browns; 4.) Houston Texans @ Buffalo Bills (+3.5): Even with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB, the Bills will play the Jeckyl and Hyde Texans tough.  PICK: Bills; 5.) San Francisco 49ers (+12.5) @ Indianapolis Colts: The 49ers run the ball well enough to give the Colts "D" some trouble. Alex Smith will regain his starting status for good with a solid effort Sunday. I'm tempted to pick the 49ers in an upset. But Peyton Manning is playing much to well right now to allow that to happen: PICK: Colts; 6.) Miami Dolphins (+3) @ NY Jets: Huge divisional battle for both teams. If Miami loses, they'll drop to 2-5, and likely have no shot at making the playoffs. If the 4-3 Jets lose, they'll fall to 1-3 in the AFC East...and could be on their way to being cellar dwellers in the division. Expect a low scoring, grind it out, throwback type game: PICK: Jets; 7.) St. Louis Rams (+4) @ Detroit Lions:  Yes...the Lions are favored!! This could be the Rams' best shot at earning a victory this season: PICK: Rams; 8.) Seattle Seahawks (+9.5) @ Dallas Cowboys: Give some people inches, and they'll takes miles. Case in point? The Cowboys' Miles Austin, who has come out of nowhere to assume the role of #1 WR, and savior to the Cowboys' season. Suddenly, Tony Romo looks like a star QB again. PICK: Cowboys; 9.) Oakland Raiders (+16.5) @ San Diego Chargers: Richard Seymour called out his teamates after the Raiders suffered their lated indignity, a 38-0 loss at home to the Jets. But, didn't Seymour also guarantee that the Raiders would make the playoffs?  PICK: Raiders;  10.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+3) @ Tennessee Titans: You would think that, after getting humiliated 59-0 by the Patriots, that the Titans would come out with fire in their eyes for this one. But, haven't we, and everyone else, been saying that sort of thing about the Titans every week? You are what you are...it is what it is: PICK: Jaguars; 11.) Carolina Panthers (+10) @ Arizona Cardinals: The Cards are playing like the 2008 Cards again. How many DelHommes (defined as a French word for turnover) will Jake serve up this week? PICK: Cardinals; 12.) New York Giants (+1) @ Philadelphia Eagles: What has happened to these teams? The Giants looked like the best team in the NFC two weeks ago. But now, their defense can't seem to stop anybody. The seemingly powerhouse Eagles actually lost to  the Raiders ! Furthermore, the Eagles "D" allowed the Washington Redskins to actually score 17 points! These are two teams in desparate need of a Miles Austin-like injection: PICK: Giants; 13.) Atlanta Falcons (+10) @ New Orleans Saints: Look for the Saints to rebound after getting a scare in Miami: PICK: Saints.      BEST BETS: Cowboys, Cardinals, Saints      Thoughts?                                                                            
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Since i have been picking games better than you, ill make it a little harder on myself this week! Im going with TWO upset specials this week!!!

49ers over the colts
    27-24 in overtime!!
    (risky pick, but oh well i have a good feeling about the 49ers defensive speed applying pressure all day on Manning, and Frank Gore having a big day)

dolphins over jets

28-14

(wildcat is too much for the Jets without Kris Jenkins)

Sections
Shortcuts