WEEK ONE NFL PICK and "Game of tthe Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: WEEK ONE NFL PICK and

Good write up TP.  btw, you lost with th giants pick which is a surprise.  I didnt see that outcome happening.  The first big game Romo didnt choke in.  I believe the giants really thought they would walk all over the cboys!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I was surprised, too. The Giants couldn't get much done on offense. I know that it's only one game, but they have to be concerned about their running game. They had a first and goal from the Dallas two yard line, and couldn't punch it in. If they still had Brandon Jacobs, maybe a different story. Rookie David Wilson needs to understand that job one for a RB is to not put the ball on the ground. Look for teams to attempt to strip the ball from him from now on, every chance they get.
         The front 7 of the Giants' "D" is tough, but their secondary appears to be their Achilles heel.     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

...Tenn will be scrapy and Johnson will re-bound from last seasons holdout.

Over the years I tend to shy away from 7 point and above spreads very early in the season. If this was November I would have no problems laying the 6-6.5. The Pats are still getting things together and yes are clearly the better team. It's just at this point (week one) I'm playing my usual positions and taking the 6-6.5 but expecting a Pats victory.

Of course I would love to see a Pats kick Tenn azz Sunday.

[/QUOTE]

You could be right. The Pats looked awful on offense throughout the pre-season. Still, they're the Patriots. I expect that BB will have them ready to go on Sunday. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's a series of Week One predictions:

1.) Sporting News: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-09-05/nfl-week-1-picks-manning-rodgers-roethlisberger-green-bay-packers-san-francisco-;

2.) Walter Football: http://walterfootball.com/nflpicks2012_01early.php, and http://walterfootball.com/nflpicks2012_01late.php;

3.) Sports Illustrated: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/06/week-1/index.html?xid=si_nfl;

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I know this probably will never happen as it would be a huge undertaking, or maybe there is a site out there to run it, but it would be fun to have a contest where everyone picks games against the spread.  Or we could even focus it around TexasPats weekly picks,he could do his game write ups and picks then we make our picks,  kind of like take on TP were we go up against his picks and see if we could beat him.  That would be a blast.

And I would even be all for a thread like that being pinned to the top for the season. 

Probably to late to look into this and get it going this season, but we could always plan ahead to next season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Giants got lucky to get into the SB in 2007. They got hugely lucky to get in last year (2.. TWO punts funbled.. neither forced).. And got LUCKY to win both.. either... the helmet catch! really? Manningham? And Welker/Brady... and bouncing fumbles.... 

Eli and the Giants are overrated.. and they will not make the playoffs.

I did write this after the Cowboys won opening game but this is how I have felt for a while. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Patriots might not score a lot in the first half. But eventually they will start to click and will walk away by late in the third if not sooner.

Bring on the rookie QB.... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Giants Packers Colts Eagles Bills Saints Patriots Vikings Texans Lions Falcons Panthers Seahawks Steelers Ravens Chargers

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I am not overly confident with the Pats this week. I am expecting a real close one. Some weird QB's have put up really impressive numbers against the Pats over the past few years and while I think the defensive front has improved our db's still look sorry to me unless McCourty can find his rookie form. I expect a tight Pats win like last year's Redskins game with the Pats stinking up the joint early, taking a second half lead and holding on for dear life in the red zone at the end. I know the preseason is hard to read much into but the offense looked bad in all 4 games expect for a few drives. Hope I am being laughed at later after a Pats blow out win but I believe it will be a few weeks before the offense gets into a good roll.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Jets ain't ready to play anybody yet, the Bill win easily.

Man, so much for Mario Williams and the vaulted Bills D. Buffalo should hang their heads over this stinker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

We beat Tenn but need a late field goal to do it, Tenn covers

Like what I saw today, didn't cover though, took some hits in my pool today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Sunday 9:45 p.m. flash ratings:

Note: The Pittsburgh/Denver game is in progress. 

Green Bay, on top, was pretty effectively beaten at home by San Francisco.  New England cruised better than forecast, at an away game, and now they're on top of my power ratings. 

My game of the week, Cleveland and all those points, was a slam dunk and is in the bag.  Cleveland isn't as good as my shaky numbers made them out to be, nor is Philly that bad, but the general public's opinion of both teams should now change after Philly overcame a six point deficit to escape with a win. 

I only had the Jets as nine point favorites over the Bills.  Shows you what I know sometimes.

1    ne
    2    gb
    3    dal
    4    sf
    5    no
    6    atl
    7    hou
    8    bal
    9    nyg
    10    nyj
    11    pit
    12    sd
    13    chi
    14    det
    15    den
    16    cin
    17    oak
    18    jac
    19    phi
    20    cle
    21    was
    22    kc
    23    min
    24    sea
    25    car
    26    ten
    27    mia
    28    tb
    29    az
    30    ind
    31    buf
    32    stl

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Both New England and Arizona have played their games at this point.  Next week, my statistics have New England over Arizona by 20.2 points.  Expect a couple of tenths of a point of jiggle by Tuesday morning, but that's the spread.   Pancake time.  Pass the syrup.

We'll see what Vegas says.  Personally, I'd be afraid to take a huge overdog, especially the Patriots because they run the prevent defense at the end of every game. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to trouts' comment:

The strangest odds of the week have the Steelers a 1.5 point dog to the Broncos. Gotta think that a bunch of late money will even that one out.

This....

Denver got no business being favored over the Steelers right now. Manning takes one hit and he could be through. Denver has a decent D but not enough O to handle the Steelers.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch....Wow...did the Steelers D look old or simply Manning had something to prove? I gave Denver zero preseason love and now I'm thinking glad there coming here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The Packers D was what 31st last year. San Fran took care of business in the off season and will beat the Pack like a red headed step-child

Well, won but it was a tough game. Big though though as I was 1-3 here and 8-6 in my company pool. And that's without the spread. Factor that in and I'm 6-8 going in to tonights games. Nothing more than a darn coin toss 50/50, that's was Vegas makes the money and I don't.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Denver and San Francisco surprised.  Denver's excuse is that they inherited old numbers from last year, and perhaps Peyton Manning didn't play quite up to par in preseason.  Also, maybe Pittsburgh is a really old team at this point and bad things sometimes happen to old teams.  I still expect that Peyton's neck probably won't hold up for 16 games, but he at least got through preseason intact. 

As for San Francisco, they were good last year.  I'm putting them on my watch list of good teams that deliberately want to look bad on the first two drives of week 3 of preseason.  Someday two of these teams will meet and we'll have a game of, "no, here, you take the football!"

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Underdog theory held up.  Overall dogs were 9-7.  if I took all dogs and pats I would have been 10-6.  Instead I took 3 faves that wilted.

oh well , 7-9 ats.  Week 1. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I went 6-10 for picks against the spread.  Not a good week.