Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

WEEK ONE NFL PICKS, and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: WEEK ONE NFL PICKS, and

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

Good write up, TP.  Are you going to be doing this all season?  I believe last year you stopped mid way through.  I was also picking against the spread and comparing our picks/records but then you stopped.

Work commitments were the reason that I had to take a break last year. But, prior to that, I was having an awful year picking games against the spread. So...you most likely picked better than I had, to that point.

Well if you were having a bad year picking games then I wasn't doing much better.  There were just a couple games seperating us.  I'm going to try and see if I kept the spreadsheet or not, it would be fun to see if we could do better this season.  Do you keep all your yearly records?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Well if you were having a bad year picking games then I wasn't doing much better.  There were just a couple games seperating us.  I'm going to try and see if I kept the spreadsheet or not, it would be fun to see if we could do better this season.  Do you keep all your yearly records?

No. I do this for fun. If I started keeping stats, it becomes work. Usually, at the end of a season, I hover around the .500 mark against the spread...with the notable exception of last year, when my record against the spread was awful. 

But, anybody can do pretty well if they just pick the winners. Picking with the spread makes it interesting.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's another interesting article, and set of predictions, for both the eason, and the Week One games: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/preseason-cheat-sheet-2013-predictions-houston-texans-will-win-super-bowl-083013

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Safety Jarius Byrd wants out of Buffalo. But, a lingering foot injury could erail his plans of breaking the bank, through free agency: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/sources-byrd-agent-trying-to-orchestrate-trade-20130904 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Don't know about you, but I'm rooting for the Ravens tonight. I still can't stomach the "Horseface": http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/05/peyton-manning-closing-in-on-dan-marino-in-passing-yards/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's how the so-called experts see the week one games (they do not take the point spread into account): http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Good find on the Wes article. Been saying it for years. Slots are replaceble...just like SL Uts!

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Thoughts?? Especially your take on the Pats' game. Remember, my picks are made taking into account the respective point spread. 

Enjoy the season!     

[/QUOTE]

Thank God football is back in earnest so I can enjoy write-ups like yours. Nice job, as usual!

I agree that chances are that Baltimore beats the point spread against Denver. 8.5 point spread against the Super Bowl Champions is amazing by itself. The Manning mystique is mystifying, especially in Las Vegas. Broncos were 9 point favorites in last year's divisional playoff as well. The learning curve is still just as steep for the odds-makers, it appears. Broncos added Wes Welker, Ravens added Elvis Dumervil. Says it all. Von Miller is out of the game for the Broncos. Maybe everyone is counting on a shoot-out. The best part, being a Patriots' fan, is that one of these two teams is going to start the season with a loss. Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I disagree on 4 this week.

I  have...

Chiefs over Jags

Browns over Dolphins

Cardinals over Rams

Eagles over Redskins

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

NE @ BUF 

SEA @ CAR 

CIN @ CHI 

MIA @ CLE 

MIN @ DET 

OAK @ IND 

KC @ JAC

ATL @ NO 

TB @ NYJ