WEEK ONE NFL PICKS, and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

WEEK ONE NFL PICKS, and "Game of the Week"

At last! No more having to listen to seemingly endless stories on how racist the team name "Redskins" is, whether the NFL was too soft on wife-beater Ray Rice, or Michael Sam "making history" by being the first openly gay NFL player. Finally, we have real football games to discuss! When I make my predictions below, I take the point spread into consideration. For example, Seattle is favored by six over Green Bay. If I pick Seattle to win, they must beat Seattle by more than six points, for me to have covered. Let's get at it! Here are my picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) Green Bay Packers (+6) @ Seattle Seahawks: A great match-up, at least on paper, to start off the season, this Thursday night. Aaron Rogers, the man referred to by Seattle's Richard Sherman as the best QB in the NFL, will try to make headway against the feared "Legion of Boom". As good as Rogers is, he is being backed up by a very ordinary defense. With starting NT B. J. Raji on IR, look for the Seahawks to pound at the middle of the Packers' DL with RBs Marshawn Lynch, and Robert Turbin. Success on the ground will set up the Seattle passing attack, which now boasts a healthy Percy Harvin. This one could get ugly: PICK: Seahawks; 

2.) New Orleans Saints @ Atlanta Falcons (+3): Optimism likely reigns supreme in Atlanta, with the start of a new season. But the Saints still have Drew Brees, and DC Rob Ryan, who usually turns a collection of average talent in to an above average defense. Though the Falcons welcome a healthy Julio Jones, their dependable TE, Tony Gonzalez, is gone. Defensively, the Falcons still have a front seven that can't consistently pressure an opposing QB. That's usually problematic. But, when trying to defense a guy like Brees, it's usually deadly. Folks, the Falcons were 4-12 for a reason, last season: PICK: Saints;

3.) Minnesota Vikings (+4) @ St. Louis Rams: The Rams' "D" looks formidable, and they're playing at home. But on offense, they'll have career back-up Shaun Hill running the show. The Vikings have old friend Matt Cassel leading them. Matt has weapons, in budding superstar WR, Cordarrelle Patterson, and the incomparable Adrian Peterson. Though the Vikings looked good in the preseason, this begins the real deal. Coin flip time. PICK: Vikings;

4.) Cleveland Browns (+6.5) @ Pittsburgh Steelers: After adding blazing fast LB Ryan Shazier, DE Stephon Tuitt, and NT Daniel McCullers, the Pittsburgh "D" should be better. On offense, losing WR Emmanuel Sanders through free agency is going to hurt the Goths, more than they know. Still, the Steelers have one of the games' better QBs in Ben Roethlisberger. Look for "Big Ben" to make some headway with holdover WR Andre Brown, Markus Wheaton, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Lance Moore. RBs Le'Veon Bell and Legarrette Blount should improve the running game, provided they lay off the weed at least a day before game time. Got to sympathize with old buddy Brian Hoyer. He finally gets a chance to lead a team, and tears up his knee. Then, after going through rehab, watches the Browns draft Johnny Manziel...and loses his best weapon, WR Josh Morgan, to a Goodell season long suspension. Pity poor Brian. He has a much worse stable of WRs to work with in 2014, than Tom Brady had to start of the 2013 season. PICK: Steelers;

5.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+10) @ Philadelphia Eagles: A tough opening act for the Jags, taking on Chip Kelly's high speed, high scoring offense. There are two big questions for Jacksonville. First, "How long can Jags' head coach Gus Bradley refrain from turning the offense over to Blake Bortles"? Second, "How long before the Jags make tracks to LA, or England?"  PICK: Eagles;

6.) Oakland Raiders (+5) @ NY Jets: Tough assignment for rookie QB Derek Carr, having to face a Rex Ryan defense in his first regular season start . Look for both teams to try to establish a running game, in hopes of trying to take the pressure off their questionable QBs: PICK: Jets;

7.) Cincinnati Bengals (+1.5) @ Baltimore Ravens: Ah, the Bengals. So much talent, yet so little to show for it. Can you imagine how good Cincy would be if you replaced QB Andy Dalton with Tom Brady, and head coach Marvin Lewis with BB? But, alas...the Bengals are stuck with Dalton and Lewis...who in the playoffs have acted more like Martin and Lewis! The heat will especially be on Lewis this year, now that his top lieutenants, Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer, have left to coach other teams (Washington and Minnesota). The Ravens will be without Ray Rice, sitting out his first of a two game suspension. RB Bernard Pierce won't play either, hurting his shoulder in the preseason game against the Redskins. Though Joe Flacco has plenty on weapons in the Smith brothers, Steve and Torry...along with TE Dennis Pitta, lack of a running game could make them rather one-dimensional: PICK: Bengals;

8.) Buffalo Bills (+6.5) @ Chicago Bears: The Bills, and QB E.J. Manuel in particular, have looked terrible in the preseason. Manuel has been so bad that Buffalo forked over $5mil. to journeyman QB Kyle Orton, to serve as Manuel's back-up. Look for Orton to take over the starting job in Buffalo very soon. Mega-high draft pick, WR Sammy Watkins, will play despite a rib injury. Though the Chicago "D" is awful, there's little to fear with Manuel at the helm: PICK: Bears;

9.) Washington Redskins (+2.5) @ Houston Texans: Perhaps a return home to Texas will be a tonic for RG III? It had better be, as Mr. Me was awful in the preseason. I had initially picked Washington, thinking that their running game and defense would be the difference in this one. But then I read that OLB Brian Orakpo wasn't 100%. The other thing to consider is the suspension of SS Brandon Meriweather. Despite his tendency to draw flags for illegal hits, he appears to be one of the Redskins' defensive leaders, who sets a tone of physicality for their "D". If the Texans are ever going to break their losing streak, now set at 14 and counting, this would seem to be the game to do it. PICK: Texans;

10.) Tennessee Titans (+4) @ Kansas City Chiefs: The Titans are terrible. Chiefs' QB Alex Smith gets a chance to celebrate his lucrative new contract in style: PICK: Chiefs;

11.) New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins (+4.5): Look for BB to replay for his team that awful late season loss by the Pats in Miami last year, which cost the Pats home field advantage in the playoffs...and lead to that trip to Denver for the AFC championship game. The Pats will be ready: PICK: Patriots;

12.) Carolina Panthers (+1.5) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The defending NFC South champs are going to take being a underdog to Tampa, a 4-12 team last season, very personally. Though Tampa Bay on paper should be a very improved team, They'll still have to deal with that tough Carolina defense: PICK: Panthers;

13.) San Francisco 49ers @ Dallas Cowboys (+5): The 49ers have all kinds of injury issues and distractions going on. Though the Cowboys are terrible, they may have enough going for them to cover this spread, if not win out right: PICK: Cowboys;

14.) Indianapolis Colts (+7.5) @ Denver Broncos: Go Indy! But alas, I'm not going to allow my hatred for the Donkeys and their horse-faced QB cloud my judgment: PICK: Broncos;

15.) NY Giants (+5) @ Detroit Lions: How can a team that looked as bad during their five game preseason as the Giants, nonetheless manage to win all five games? Though their OL was awful at pass blocking, the G-men did show a strong running game, behind RBs Rashad Jennings, and bullish rookie Andre Williams. One would think that the Lions would bowl over the visiting G-men. But sorry, I have no confidence in Lions' new head coach, Jim Caldwell. PICK: Giants;

16.) San Diego Chargers (+3) @ Arizona Cardinals: I initially envisioned that the Cards' home field advantage would be negated by the QB match-up: Philip Rivers v. Carson Palmer. But, then I learned that Chargers' TE Antonio Gates has tweaked his hammy again, for what seems to be the 10th time over the past 2-3 years, and is listed as "questionable". Even at his advanced age, Gates is still a huge part of the Bolts' offense. I also learned that Chargers' WR Vincent Brown reached an injury release agreement with the Bolts, and was waived. Brown, a former 3rd round draft choice, had shown promise with his play, until he was derailed last year after suffering a broken ankle. This year, he missed the entire preseason due to a calf injury, and was thought to be on his way to being placed on IR. This makes me wonder, and worry a bit, about the severity of Tom Brady's calf injury. That aside, this should be a hard fought game. But, since the Cards' home field advantage, I look for them to come out on top: PICK: Cardinals.

As always, your comments and predictions, particularly on the Pats game, are welcome! Enjoy the opening weekend of the 2014 NFL season!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

Re: WEEK ONE NFL PICKS, and

In response to TexasPat's comment:

At last! No more having to listen to seemingly endless stories on how racist the team name "Redskins" is, whether the NFL was too soft on wife-beater Ray Rice, or Michael Sam "making history" by being the first openly gay NFL player. Finally, we have real football games to discuss! When I make my predictions below, I take the point spread into consideration. For example, Seattle is favored by six over Green Bay. If I pick Seattle to win, they must beat Seattle by more than six points, for me to have covered. Let's get at it! Here are my picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) Green Bay Packers (+6) @ Seattle Seahawks: A great match-up, at least on paper, to start off the season, this Thursday night. Aaron Rogers, the man referred to by Seattle's Richard Sherman as the best QB in the NFL, will try to make headway against the feared "Legion of Boom". As good as Rogers is, he is being backed up by a very ordinary defense. With starting NT B. J. Raji on IR, look for the Seahawks to pound at the middle of the Packers' DL with RBs Marshawn Lynch, and Robert Turbin. Success on the ground will set up the Seattle passing attack, which now boasts a healthy Percy Harvin. This one could get ugly: PICK: Seahawks; 

2.) New Orleans Saints @ Atlanta Falcons (+3): Optimism likely reigns supreme in Atlanta, with the start of a new season. But the Saints still have Drew Brees, and DC Rob Ryan, who usually turns a collection of average talent in to an above average defense. Though the Falcons welcome a healthy Julio Jones, their dependable TE, Tony Gonzalez, is gone. Defensively, the Falcons still have a front seven that can't consistently pressure an opposing QB. That's usually problematic. But, when trying to defense a guy like Brees, it's usually deadly. Folks, the Falcons were 4-12 for a reason, last season: PICK: Saints;

3.) Minnesota Vikings (+4) @ St. Louis Rams: The Rams' "D" looks formidable, and they're playing at home. But on offense, they'll have career back-up Shaun Hill running the show. The Vikings have old friend Matt Cassel leading them. Matt has weapons, in budding superstar WR, Cordarrelle Patterson, and the incomparable Adrian Peterson. Though the Vikings looked good in the preseason, this begins the real deal. Coin flip time. PICK: Vikings;

4.) Cleveland Browns (+6.5) @ Pittsburgh Steelers: After adding blazing fast LB Ryan Shazier, DE Stephon Tuitt, and NT Daniel McCullers, the Pittsburgh "D" should be better. On offense, losing WR Emmanuel Sanders through free agency is going to hurt the Goths, more than they know. Still, the Steelers have one of the games' better QBs in Ben Roethlisberger. Look for "Big Ben" to make some headway with holdover WR Andre Brown, Markus Wheaton, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Lance Moore. RBs Le'Veon Bell and Legarrette Blount should improve the running game, provided they lay off the weed at least a day before game time. Got to sympathize with old buddy Brian Hoyer. He finally gets a chance to lead a team, and tears up his knee. Then, after going through rehab, watches the Browns draft Johnny Manziel...and loses his best weapon, WR Josh Morgan, to a Goodell season long suspension. Pity poor Brian. He has a much worse stable of WRs to work with in 2014, than Tom Brady had to start of the 2013 season. PICK: Steelers;

5.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+10) @ Philadelphia Eagles: A tough opening act for the Jags, taking on Chip Kelly's high speed, high scoring offense. There are two big questions for Jacksonville. First, "How long can Jags' head coach Gus Bradley refrain from turning the offense over to Blake Bortles"? Second, "How long before the Jags make tracks to LA, or England?"  PICK: Eagles;

6.) Oakland Raiders (+5) @ NY Jets: Tough assignment for rookie QB Derek Carr, having to face a Rex Ryan defense in his first regular season start . Look for both teams to try to establish a running game, in hopes of trying to take the pressure off their questionable QBs: PICK: Jets;

7.) Cincinnati Bengals (+1.5) @ Baltimore Ravens: Ah, the Bengals. So much talent, yet so little to show for it. Can you imagine how good Cincy would be if you replaced QB Andy Dalton with Tom Brady, and head coach Marvin Lewis with BB? But, alas...the Bengals are stuck with Dalton and Lewis...who in the playoffs have acted more like Martin and Lewis! The heat will especially be on Lewis this year, now that his top lieutenants, Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer, have left to coach other teams (Washington and Minnesota). The Ravens will be without Ray Rice, sitting out his first of a two game suspension. RB Bernard Pierce won't play either, hurting his shoulder in the preseason game against the Redskins. Though Joe Flacco has plenty on weapons in the Smith brothers, Steve and Torry...along with TE Dennis Pitta, lack of a running game could make them rather one-dimensional: PICK: Bengals;

8.) Buffalo Bills (+6.5) @ Chicago Bears: The Bills, and QB E.J. Manuel in particular, have looked terrible in the preseason. Manuel has been so bad that Buffalo forked over $5mil. to journeyman QB Kyle Orton, to serve as Manuel's back-up. Look for Orton to take over the starting job in Buffalo very soon. Mega-high draft pick, WR Sammy Watkins, will play despite a rib injury. Though the Chicago "D" is awful, there's little to fear with Manuel at the helm: PICK: Bears;

9.) Washington Redskins (+2.5) @ Houston Texans: Perhaps a return home to Texas will be a tonic for RG III? The Washington running game and defense should be the difference in this one: PICK: Redskins;

10.) Tennessee Titans (+4) @ Kansas City Chiefs: The Titans are terrible. Chiefs' QB Alex Smith gets a chance to celebrate his lucrative new contract in style: PICK: Chiefs;

11.) New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins (+4.5): Look for BB to replay for his team that awful late season loss by the Pats in Miami last year, which cost the Pats home field advantage in the playoffs...and lead to that trip to Denver for the AFC championship game. The Pats will be ready: PICK: Patriots;

12.) Carolina Panthers (+1.5) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The defending NFC South champs are going to take being a underdog to Tampa, a 4-12 team last season, very personally. Though Tampa Bay on paper should be a very improved team, They'll still have to deal with that tough Carolina defense: PICK: Panthers;

13.) San Francisco 49ers @ Dallas Cowboys (+5): The 49ers have all kinds of injury issues and distractions going on. Though the Cowboys are terrible, they may have enough going for them to cover this spread, if not win out right: PICK: Cowboys;

14.) Indianapolis Colts (+7.5) @ Denver Broncos: Go Indy! But alas, I'm not going to allow my hatred for the Donkeys and their horse-faced QB cloud my judgment: PICK: Broncos;

15.) NY Giants (+5) @ Detroit Lions: How can a team that looked as bad during their five game preseason as the Giants, nonetheless manage to win all five games? Though their OL was awful at pass blocking, the G-men did show a strong running game, behind RBs Rashad Jennings, and bullish rookie Andre Williams. One would think that the Lions would bowl over the visiting G-men. But sorry, I have no confidence in Lions' new head coach, Jim Caldwell. PICK: Giants;

16.) San Diego Chargers (+3) @ Arizona Cardinals: The Cards' home field advantage is negated by the QB match-up: Philip Rivers v. Carson Palmer. This should be a hard fought game. But, since the Cards' home field advantage is negated...: PICK: Chargers.

As always, your comments and predictions, particularly on the Pats game, are welcome! Enjoy the opening weekend of the 2014 NFL season!  

you're a pink hat troll. you picked the Steelers, Jets and Broncos. How dare you! At least you didn't pick the Ravens...signed Rusty the BB pole dancer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to cousteau's comment:

you're a pink hat troll. you picked the Steelers, Jets and Broncos. How dare you! At least you didn't pick the Ravens...signed Rusty the BB pole dancer

Jacques, its bad enough to have to sift through Rusty's post, which usually destroy every and any good thread. And now you're speaking for him? Geez!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

This thread would usually be at the top at the beginning of the season where it should be.  I scrolled down a ways and stumbled on to it.  There is a core of people that have taken this forum down the tubes.

Dallas is pretty bad and I'm shocked that you would go with Dallas beating the spread being you're down here in Texas!  SF blows them up.

I saw Tannehill play the last preseason game and boy did he look bad.

Looking forward to your threads as usual.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

I'm with you on all but 9,12,13,15

9.) Washington Redskins (+2.5) @ Houston Texans: Perhaps a return home to Texas will be a tonic for RG III? The Washington running game and defense should be the difference in this one: PICK: Redskins;"

I think this will start the "drums beating" for the "redskins" to replace shooting star RGIII with everyone's soon to be fastest fantasy waiver wire pick up....Mr Cousins 

12.) Carolina Panthers (+1.5) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The defending NFC South champs are going to take being a underdog to Tampa, a 4-12 team last season, very personally. Though Tampa Bay on paper should be a very improved team, They'll still have to deal with that tough Carolina defense: PICK: Panthers;

Panthers suck...Tampa sucks less and  home.......

13.) San Francisco 49ers @ Dallas Cowboys (+5): The 49ers have all kinds of injury issues and distractions going on. Though the Cowboys are terrible, they may have enough going for them to cover this spread, if not win out right: PICK: Cowboys;

The ULTIMATE trap game.....Cowboys trapped a big mausoleum with a useless owner.. even their cheerleaders get no play these days.......

15.) NY Giants (+5) @ Detroit Lions: How can a team that looked as bad during their five game preseason as the Giants, nonetheless manage to win all five games? Though their OL was awful at pass blocking, the G-men did show a strong running game, behind RBs Rashad Jennings, and bullish rookie Andre Williams. One would think that the Lions would bowl over the visiting G-men. But sorry, I have no confidence in Lions' new head coach, Jim Caldwell. PICK: Giants;

"Yey Eli!!!!" "Wake up...it's the regular season"   " Now the turnovers count for real !!"

Games I won't be mad about if I'm wrong  6 and 14

Welcome back NFL!!!

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

GIn response to TexasPat's comment:

9.) Washington Redskins (+2.5) @ Houston Texans: Perhaps a return home to Texas will be a tonic for RG III? The Washington running game and defense should be the difference in this one: PICK: Redskins;

16.) San Diego Chargers (+3) @ Arizona Cardinals: The Cards' home field advantage is negated by the QB match-up: Philip Rivers v. Carson Palmer. This should be a hard fought game. But, since the Cards' home field advantage is negated...: PICK: Chargers.

Great breakdown as always Tex! We will see how it all plays out. Great to have football back foe real

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

This thread would usually be at the top at the beginning of the season where it should be.  I scrolled down a ways and stumbled on to it.  There is a core of people that have taken this forum down the tubes.

Dallas is pretty bad and I'm shocked that you would go with Dallas beating the spread being you're down here in Texas!  SF blows them up.

Yes, I must admit to having second and third thoughts on that prediction...LOL!!! Though Dallas is defenseless, the 49ers appear to be in shambles right now. No NaVorro Bowman, no Aldon Smith...and then there's their starting DE, who was just arrested for family violence assault. Just a hunch that Dallas can cover, or win outright.     

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Yes, I must admit to having second and third thoughts on that prediction...LOL!!! Though Dallas is defenseless, the 49ers appear to be in shambles right now. No NaVorro Bowman, no Aldon Smith...and then there's their starting DE, who was just arrested for family violence assault. Just a hunch that Dallas can cover, or win outright.     

SF having rough go this presseason but two things to remember is they do know how to win (3 straight NFCCG) and Harbaugh's will to win and coaching ability gives them a shot to overcome

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

SF having rough go this presseason but two things to remember is they do know how to win (3 straight NFCCG) and Harbaugh's will to win and coaching ability gives them a shot to overcome

True...but Dallas has a 5 point spread, at home.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

True...but Dallas has a 5 point spread, at home.

yeah I was talking the whole season overall SF could make it work

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

yeah I was talking the whole season overall SF could make it work

RESPONSE: My guess is that they'll struggle to make the playoffs. A key injury (NaVorro Bowman), old age to key players (DE Justin Smith, RB Frank Gore, WR Anquan Boldin, SS Antoine Bethea) , and too much off-field turmoil (OLB Aldon Smith, DE Ray MacDonald, and QB Kaepernick). This could be Harbaugh's last season in SF. Look for him to take over the Cleveland Browns next season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

Texas Pat said: "This could be Harbaugh's last season in SF. Look for him to take over the Cleveland Browns next season."
    Not disagreeing with you, but wondering where you get this.  What have you heard or read that gives you this idea?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Great write up as usual TP. 

The only games, I would choose differently is #9 Houston over Washington because it looks like they are trying to make RGIII a straight drop back passer and he might need a lot more time to develop into one.  This and the Texans first game at home under their new coach might just just be enough.

And I agree with you on Caldwell because he looked like a statue while coaching the Colts.  However playing in Detroit with their 1's against NY 1's is a lot different for the Gints than playing their 2's and 3's against their opponents 2's and 3's like they did in preseason.  I like Detroit in #15. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to LuvsThosePats' comment:

Texas Pat said: "This could be Harbaugh's last season in SF. Look for him to take over the Cleveland Browns next season."
    Not disagreeing with you, but wondering where you get this.  What have you heard or read that gives you this idea?

The Browns reportedly tried to trade for coach Harbaugh in February: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/sources-browns-nearly-traded-for-jim-harbaugh/ 

Also, Harbaugh is in the 4th year of a 5 year $25mil. deal. He has sought an extension, having turned down college jobs at both Michigan and Texas. But, 49ers management have been dragging their feet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I find the Harbaugh situation odd.  SF hadn't won a thing in years and along comes Harbaugh and turns things around.  I'm sure when his contract expires they'll pony up to the bar and he'll get the contract he wants.  May stick it to them a little more too.  It would be a nighmare for management if they let him walk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

It been reported in the Herald that the Pats #1 draft choice, DT Dominique Easley, will play against the Dolphins this Sunday: 

FOXBORO — It looks like the Patriots will unveil their first-round draft pick Sunday against the Miami Dolphins.

There is a strong belief defensive lineman Dominique Easley will make his debut in the regular-season opener, according to a source. That notion was furthered yesterday when Easley wasn’t listed on the injury report after sitting out the entire preseason to recover from a torn ACL in his right knee. Easley opened training camp on the non-football injury list because he suffered the injury during a September practice for the University of Florida, and he made his practice debut Aug. 11.

The Patriots knew they’d have to manage Easley after drafting him in the first round in May. They closely monitored his progress while he built strength in his knee to prevent a setback.

The Patriots will likely make the final call on Easley before they travel to Miami tomorrow afternoon. But it appears the disruptive lineman is on track to be unveiled against the Dolphins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

It been reported in the Herald that the Pats #1 draft choice, DT Dominique Easley, will play against the Dolphins this Sunday: 

FOXBORO — It looks like the Patriots will unveil their first-round draft pick Sunday against the Miami Dolphins.

There is a strong belief defensive lineman Dominique Easley will make his debut in the regular-season opener, according to a source. That notion was furthered yesterday when Easley wasn’t listed on the injury report after sitting out the entire preseason to recover from a torn ACL in his right knee. Easley opened training camp on the non-football injury list because he suffered the injury during a September practice for the University of Florida, and he made his practice debut Aug. 11.

The Patriots knew they’d have to manage Easley after drafting him in the first round in May. They closely monitored his progress while he built strength in his knee to prevent a setback.

The Patriots will likely make the final call on Easley before they travel to Miami tomorrow afternoon. But it appears the disruptive lineman is on track to be unveiled against the Dolphins.

btw TP I notice the one pick that got ur fellow Patsies fans panties in a tizzie was...well you know-no surprise there : )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Giants have placed OG Geoff Schwartz on IR. As such, he will miss at least half the season. To somewhat compensate, the G-men have signed veteran OG, Adam Snyder: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/geoff-schwartz-ir-giants-ink-o-lineman-adam-snyder-article-1.1926295

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

btw TP I notice the one pick that got ur fellow Patsies fans panties in a tizzie was...well you know-no surprise there : )

The Giants have place OG Geoff Schwartz on IR. As such, he will miss at least half the season. To somewhat compensate, the G-men have signed veteran OG, Adam Snyder: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/geoff-schwartz-ir-giants-ink-o-lineman-adam-snyder-article-1.1926295" rel="nofollow">http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/geoff-schwartz-ir-giants-ink-o-lineman-adam-snyder-article-1.1926295

definitely not a positive with an already rebuilt OL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Giants have place OG Geoff Schwartz on IR. As such, he will miss at least half the season. To somewhat compensate, the G-men have signed veteran OG, Adam Snyder: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/geoff-schwartz-ir-giants-ink-o-lineman-adam-snyder-article-1.1926295

definitely not a positive with an already rebuilt OL

GM Jerry Reese doesn't make many mistakes. But he made a big one, using his #1 draft choice on a WR (Odell Beckham), when OG/OT Zack Martin was available to him. Job One for Reese should have been to make sure that his team does a much better job of protecting Eli. If Eli doesn't get back on track, the G-men are going nowhere.

It doesn't matter how good a QB's receivers are, if the QB is not getting the time to hook up with them. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

As always, TP, you lay it out there in pretty fair detail.  Good write up and I can't find much with which to disagree with the possible exception of SF/Dallas.  As unsettled as things are in SF, Dallas is a train wreck and will be so long as JJ owns the team and thinks he actually knows something about the game.  I see SF winning this one by at least 10 pts.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Once I make my picks, I don't like to revise them. I have learned over the years that my first reaction to something is usually the right one. But, after reading about another hamstring injury which likely will hamper San Diego TE Antonio Gates today, the Brandon Meriweather suspension, and my growing dislike of RG III, I made a change in the San Diego and Washington games...picking the Cards and Texans both to cover.

It will be interesting to see whether my first reaction was the right one. LOL!!!    

• You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Good read TP. Football season has finally arrived. Go Patriots! Boo Giants!

• Sections
    Shortcuts