WEEK SIX NFL PICK and "Game of he Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

WEEK SIX NFL PICK and "Game of he Week"

Twas a rough week last week for yours truly...exacerbated by the Patriots' woeful offensive showing in Cincinnati...and made worse by the Red Sox blowing a 3-run lead, and losing 5-4, to those pesky Rays, in Game 3. The Pats' loss to the Bengals was particularly painful because that game was so there for the taking. Seeing the Jets upset the Falcons in Atlanta took some of the luster off the Patriots' win there, two weeks ago. Even though the Pats are a very respectable 4-1, who have they beaten? Here are my picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (5-0) New Orleans Saints (+2.5) @ (4-1) New England Patriots: The Saints are coming off an impressive win in Chicago. The injury plagued Patriots are coming off a horrible offensive performance , in their loss at Cincinnati. Though the return of Gronk should stoke the home town fires, one must wonder what type of shape he's in...and how much he can contribute to what has been a pop-gun attack. Though the Pats' "D" has been outstanding throughout the year, the Saints will provide a huge test. New England has had trouble containing good TEs. They'll be facing the best in the game this week, in Jimmy Graham. Drew Brees has seemingly had the Patriots' number, going back to his days in San Diego. Though the Pats will almost certainly play better this week than last, will it be enough?: PICK: Saints;

2.) (0-5) NY Giants (+8) @ (3-2) Chicago Bears: The Giants are a classic illustration of just how important it is to have a good OL. No matter how good a QB is, or how good his WRs and RBs are, they can't accomplish anything without good blocking. This, along with poor DL line play, tells the tale of the 2013 Giants, thus far. The Bears, coming off two straight losses to the Lions and Saints, will not be in a hospitable mood: PICK: Bears;

3.) (2-3) Oakland Raiders (+9) @ (5-0) Kansas City Chiefs: I still believe that the Raiders have found themselves a QB in Terelle Pryor. With him, they won't win...but they may cover: PICK: Raiders;

3.) (2-3) Philadelphia Eagles @ (0-4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+1): The Bucs have yet to show that they can score enough points to beat anybody: PICK: Eagles;

4.) (2-2) Green Bay Packers @ (3-2) Baltimore Ravens (+3): Not having Clay Matthews available this week will likely ensure that Baltimore QB Joe Flacco won't be pressured. Still, the Packers have had two weeks to prepare for this game: PICK: Ravens;

5.) (3-2) Detroit Lions @ (3-2) Cleveland Browns (+2.5): Without Calvin Johnson last week, the Green Bay Packers held the Lions to just 9 points. Rest assured that somehow, someway, Johnson will be on the field this week. Though the Browns have won three straight, all good things must come to an end: PICK: Lions;

6.) (1-3) Carolina Panthers (+2.5) @ (1-3) Minnesota Vikings:  The Vikings badly need a win to keep pace in the NFC North. With the signing of Josh Freeman, Christian Ponder's days in Minnesota appear numbered. The Vikings will win if they start Matt Cassel. If they go with Ponder, it won't be easy: PICK: Vikings;

7.) (2-3) St. Louis Rams (+7.5) @ (2-3) Houston Texans: Houston QB Matt Schaub has thrown a pick-6 in four (4) straight games. To say that the Houston natives are getting restless would be a gross understatement. Shaub appears to have lost his confidence, and should be given a seat, in favor of back-up QB T. J. Yates. The Rams beat Jacksonville last week by a couple of TDs. But doesn't every team get well against the Jags?: PICK: Texans;

8.) (0-4) Pittsburgh Steelers (+2.5) @ (3-2) NY Jets: Who knows anymore regarding NFL games? What's up is down, and what's down is up. There are so many variables, due primarily to injuries. This one is a coin flip: PICK: Jets;

9.) (3-2) Cincinnati Bengals (+7.5) @ (2-3) Buffalo Bills: Though the Bills are starting a kid off their practice squad at QB, I don't see the Bengals scoring a ton of points to cover a 7.5 point spread on the road: PICK: Bills;

10.) (3-3) Tennessee Titans (+13.5) @ (4-1) Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks gave one away last week in Indy. They'll bounce back with a vengence: PICK: Seahawks;

11.) (0-5) Jacksonville Jaguars (+27.5) @ (5-0) Denver Broncos: The Horseface may throw 15 more TD passes in this one. The Jaguars are well beyond bad. But still, 27.5 points?: PICK: Jaguars;

12.) (3-2) Arizona Cardinals (+11) @ (3-2) San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers picked up a game on Seattle last week, and want to keep the momentum going. Regardless of what happened in New England last season, the Cardinals are generally terrible when playing on the road: PICK: 49ers;

13.) (1-3) Washington Redskins (+5.5) @ (2-3) Dallas Cowboys: Believe it or not, this game presents an opportunity for the Redskins to climb right back into the thick of things in the awful NFC East. Though the Cowboys put up 48 points on the Broncos, they couldn't force one punt during the entire game...as the Horseface served them up a 50 burger. In yet another "who knows" game: PICK: Cowboys;

14.) (4-1) Indianapolis Colts @ (2-3) San Diego Chargers (+1.5): In what may turn out to be the best game of the week, a rejuvinated Philip Rivers battles the cerebral assasin, Andrew Luck: PICK: Colts;

BEST BETS: Cowboys, Vikings, Bears      

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome, particularly on the Patriots' game.        

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: WEEK SIX NFL PICK and

I'm 5-0 on Games of the Week, look it up!  I'll be back soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Too busy tonight.  My own week 6 power rankings:

1   den   15.0   (last wk. 1)

2   sea   12.7   (last wk. 2)

3   no   12.7   (last wk. 5)

4   gb   12.4   (last wk. 4)

5   sf   12.3   (last wk. 6)

6   ne   11.3   (last wk. 3)

7   ind   10.3   (last wk. 10)

8   bal   10.2   (last wk. 8)

9   cle   9.1   (last wk. 17)

10   dal   9.0   (last wk. 16)

11   cin   8.9   (last wk. 18)

12   kc   8.9   (last wk. 20)

13   det   8.7   (last wk. 12)

14   mia   8.6   (last wk. 15)

15   car   8.5   (last wk. 7)

16   atl   8.4   (last wk. 13)

17   az   7.9   (last wk. 24)

18   sd   7.6   (last wk. 14)

19   hou   7.4   (last wk. 9)

20   min   7.2   (last wk. 22)

21   tb   7.1   (last wk. 23)

22   ten   6.9   (last wk. 11)

23   nyj   6.8   (last wk. 25)

24   chi   6.7   (last wk. 21)

25   buf   6.6   (last wk. 19)

26   oak   6.0   (last wk. 26)

27   phi   5.7   (last wk. 27)

28   pit   4.4   (last wk. 28)

29   stl   3.9   (last wk. 30)

30   was   3.7   (last wk. 29)

31   nyg   2.5   (last wk. 31)

32   jac   -1.6   (last wk. 32)

My own point spreads

Visitor/home / my points / the gambling public’s opinion / difference

nyg   chi    9.6   8   1.6

det   cle    5.1   -2.5   7.6

stl   hou    8.3   7.5   0.8

oak   kc    7.2   9   -1.8

car   min    6.0   2.5   3.5

pit   nyj    3.0   2.5   0.5

phi   tb    5.3   -1   6.3

gb   bal    4.7   -3   7.7

cin   buf    1.6   7.5   -5.9

jac   den    27.9   27.5   0.4

ten   sea    15.3   13.5   1.8

az   sf    10.6   11   -0.4

no   ne    4.2   2.5   1.7

was   dal    6.9   5.5   1.4

ind   sd    3.9   -1.5   5.4

Picking against the Giants in week 5 was easy as pie.  I’m 5-0 in Games of the Week.  OK, I’m lucky too.

Good candidates for my week 6 Game of the Week (let me check the injury reports first)

det   cle    5.1   -2.5   7.6

Near-miss candidates

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Green Bay has a big injury in Clay Matthews, at the end of the third quarter so it doesn’t show up well on my numbers, and they really could use someone to chase Flacco.  Baltimore has a horrid running game but they’re acting a lot more like champs on defense these days.  Good coaching and good player development has helped them.  I’m going with Baltimore plus the points, playing at home where they’re tough, for my week 6 Game of the Week.

Other picks:

Tampa Bay had a bye week, and that helps.  Tampa Bay is recovering from a quarterback change, so we might double that recovery bonus.  One thing that’s wrong with Philly is a quarterback controversy.  That isn’t resolved.  Regardless of which mediocre QB plays, Philly’s offense may not click.

Buffalo’s third quarterback Tuel is way too much of a rookie to be playing Cincy.  7.5 points for Buffalo?  Really?  I’ll promote this to a pick for Cincy.

Leaner:

It helps Cleveland that they had a long week to prepare for Detroit.  Cleveland played pretty well despite losing Hoyer the Destroyer, which is an injury flag.  I also deduct another point or two from Cleveland’s power for E.J. Manuel, Buffalo’s starting quarterback, going out against Cleveland last week.  Maybe beating Buffalo under such circumstances isn’t quite as big a thing.  I’ll demote this to a leaner.

det   cle    5.1   -2.5   7.6

Indy keeps rising.  I just don’t like going against Indy these days so I’ll take this one out of the “leaner” category.  No call.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

7.) (2-3) St. Louis Rams (+7.5) @ (2-3) Houston Texans: Houston QB Matt Schaub has thrown a pick-6 in four (4) straight games. To say that the Houston natives are getting restless would be a gross understatement. Shaub appears to have lost his confidence, and should be given a seat, in favor of back-up QB T. J. Yates. The Rams beat Jacksonville last week by a couple of TDs. But doesn't every team get well against the Jags?: PICK: Texans;  

Apparently, I was dead on about Houston fans being incensed...as a Houston fan went to Matt Schaub's house to heckle him there, while another posted photos of his family on the Net. Talk about whacko fans out of control:   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/08/fans-confront-matt-schaub-at-his-home/ 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Apparently, I was dead on about Houston fans being incensed...as a Houston fan went to Matt Schaub's house to heckle him there, while another posted photos of his family on the Net. Talk about whacko fans out of control:   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/08/fans-confront-matt-schaub-at-his-home/ 

Pffft....that's nothing.....Rusty camps out on Brady's lawn all the time holding big signs that say "you suck" and "stop the shotgun".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pffft....that's nothing.....Rusty camps out on Brady's lawn all the time holding big signs that say "you suck" and "stop the shotgun".

[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Apparently, NFL security and the Houston PD are getting involved in the Schaub situation. Here's an ESPN article on the subject:

NFL security has contacted the Houston Texans and the Houston police regarding an alleged incident in which a fan apparently showed up at Matt Schaub's home and berated the quarterback, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder. 

CBS Houston had earlier reported the incident at Schaub's home, citing a source close to law enforcement. The source said the fan went to the quarterback's home "and told him off." The source added that another person "took pictures of [Schaub's] family," which CBS Houston reports were allegedly posted on Facebook.

Schaub remains the starter for Sunday's home game against the St. Louis Rams despite throwing an interception returned for a touchdown in an NFL record four straight games.

Coach Gary Kubiak removed Schaub from Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers at the end of the third quarter with the Texans down 24-3 -- allowing T.J. Yates to finish Houston's second prime-time game of the season.

"I think it was time for [Yates] to get some reps," Kubiak said Sunday. "Obviously, Matt took some hits and made some mistakes. And I just told him I was going to put T.J. in the game and we're going to go from there and talk about it after the game or throughout the course of the week and see where we're at."

Schaub completed 19 of 35 passes for 173 yards and three interceptions before leaving the game. 

He acknowledged after Sunday's game that his struggles were taking a toll on him, but he said he remains confident despite his struggles.

"Obviously, it's tough right now. After what we've been through tonight, [and] going back to last weekend and even the week before," Schaub said. "I am very confident in my ability and everyone in this locker room."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

"Drew Brees has seemingly had the Patriots' number, going back to his days in San Diego. Though the Pats will almost certainly play better this week than last, will it be enough"

This right here sums it all up for me tex. I still remember the sick feeling I got that day watching Drew Brees throw up that 40 burger in Gillete and made our defense look like Foxboro high. ..  Drew Brees' ability to look off coverages and come back and fire the other way and read defense and get the ball out quick to a plethora of different targets has always caused fits for BB's Defense. I cant recall us every shutting down Brees but I could be mistaken. Now factor in that Monster of a TE they have. Lets see, a 37 y/o TE put up career numbers on us. I wonder what a young TE considered to be the best in the league will do. I had this as a L regardless of what skill position players we have back. Just too many weapons. IF we are able to contain Graham, than surely Sproles will break out. Brees doesnt key on any one guy. He spreads it. Gonna be a tough game, but atleast the Saints look human outside of the dome.

We will fight and compete, but with 3 pts...I gotta take the Saints.

btw, my bad for going all balistic yesterday. I realized aftwerwards that your grades for Brady were not taken in context and just pure results driven, but I still think the o-line deserved worse than a c -

Brady is gonna be back on his game but I fear even our improved D is overmatched here.

I agree colts/chargers may be game of the week. Thats gonna be an exciting game.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

No angry mob at Schaub's home...just a weird guy in his driveway, taking pictures. Isn't nice that we have a national media that we can trust? Geez: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/09/as-it-turns-out-there-was-no-angry-mob-at-schaubs/