Week Six NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Week Six NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week"

The bad taste in every Patriots' fans' mouth remains after the debacle in Denver. In today's Globe, Christopher Gaspar penned an article stating that the Pats' are still being haunted by the ghosts of the bittersweet 2007 season. While I believe thats' true...its' not true in the way Gaspar cites.  

Pats' fans are NOT angry and upset over the Pats' 3-2 start, and the loss to Denver...because they've been "spoiled" by the 2007 unbeaten regular season team. They're upset and angry because they're knowledgable. They realize that the Pats gave away the game last weekend to an inferior team. They realize that Tom Brady is no where close to being the QB he was in 2007. They realize that, but for the grace of God, that their team could have lost their opener to Buffalo. They're upset because their know that their team is underachieving on offense. In short...they have every reason to be upset. 

That said, here are my picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) NY Giants (+3) @ New Orleans Saints: The Giants defense will be charged up to face Drew Brees and ex-Giant, Jeremy Shockey. The Saints are good, but the Giants have too much balance on both sides of the ball. 
    PICK: Giants;

2.) Kansas City Chiefs (+6) @ Washington Redskins: This so-called TeePee Bowl, has been directly responsible for a surge in switching from cable to DirecTV in the DC/KC metropolitan areas this week. Rumor has it that the Pentagon had planned to tape this game, and coerce captured Taliban members to watch this game in its' entirety...or talk. But, the O'Bama administration, citing its' policy against torture, scrapped this plan.
    PICK: Chiefs;

3.) Houston Texans (+5) @ Cincinnati Bengals: 
    Can't see the Bengals letting up after their huge win in Baltimore. The Texans continue to be an enigma:
    PICK: Bengals;

4.) Cleveland Browns (+14) @ Pittsburgh Steelers: Though the Browns won last week, their QB, Derek Anderson, posted a QB rating of 15. With back to back solid wins over the Chargers and the Lions, the Steelers are back to their winning ways. Though their defense has not been anywhere near as good as last years' group, the return of SS Troy Polamalu should help to get them back on track. Nonetheless, 14 points is too many to ignore:
    PICK: Browns;

5.) Baltimore Ravens (+3) @ Minnesota Vikings: The thuggish Ravens are overrated...particularly on defense. The Vikings have too many weapons on offense...and Jared Allen to apply pressure to Joe Flacco:
    PICK: Vikings;

6.) St. Louis Rams (+9.5) @ Jacksonville Jaguars: Unfortunately (remember, the Pats own the Jags' 2nd round pick in 2010), Jags head coach, Jack Del Rio, has righted the ship in J-town. The Rams are a disaster...and may be the worst team in the NFL: 
    PICK: Jaguars;

7.) Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3): The reason why I qualified that the Rams may be the worst team in the NFL is because the Buccaneers are neck and neck with them for that inglorious distinction. 
    PICK: Panthers;

8.) Detroit Lions (+13.5) @ Green Bay Packers: I don't know whether the Packers can beat any team, other than the Rams, Bucs, or Raiders...by two touchdowns:
    PICK: Lions;

9.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Oakland Raiders (+14): What a daily double for ol' Uncle Al...the Giants and Eagles in back to back games. Back to back crushings:
    PICK: Eagles;

10.) Arizona Cardinals (+3)  @ Seattle Seahawks: The Cards are trying to scratch their way back into contention in the AFC West. The Seahawks need to embark on a massive rebuilding plan:
    PICK: Cardinals;

11.) Buffalo Bills (+9.5) @ NY Jets: Theres' a warrant out on Jets' GM, Mike Tannenbaum, after he swindled the Browns out of their 5th overall pick in the 2009 draft, and WR Braylon Edwards. Eric Mangini continues to exact his revenge on BB and the Patriots:
    PICK: Jets;

12.) Tennessee Titans (+9.5) @ New England Patriots: Someone has recently posted a thread that "The Titans Are No Pushovers". After a couple of games, I felt this way, too. But, the Tuxedos are now 0-5, and their secondary is in shambles. It is what it is. The Patriots should be fuming after giving one away in Denver:
    PICK: Patriots;

13.) Chicago Bears (+3) @ Atlanta Falcons: Jay Cutler is vastly overrated. Tune in to this game to see why:
    PICK: Falcons;

14.) Denver Broncos (+3.5) @ San Diego Chargers: If the Bolts lose this one, heads will roll. If the Broncos win this game, and go on to win the AFC West, Josh McDaniels deserves to be named "Coach of the Year".
    PICK: Chargers.

BEST BETS: Atlanta, Philadephia, Patriots, and Giants.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Week Six NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week"

Couldn't help but enjoy the Ravens gacking one up against the mighty Bungles last week, after all the large talk about how they got jobbed by the officials against the Pats. That said, however, I think the Ravens are the kind of team that might give the Vikes trouble -- and let's face it, Minnesota has yet to play a quality team. That is not to say, necessarily, that Baltimore is a quality team. They had me fooled a few weeks ago. But Favre has been susceptible to pressure so far this season, and I believe the Ravens can bring the kind of pressure that may finally bring out the old Brett Favre that we all know and love so much . . .  the one who has thrown more interceptions than anyone else in the history of ever. If Flacco can stay out of Jared Allen's sights -- easier said than done -- I think he may be able to shred the Vikes' secondary, and I do think the Ravens smashmouth style (such as it is) will be something this version of the Viklings has yet to see.

Mostly because I would like to see all these bandwagon Viklings fans who have suddenly come out of the woodwork taken down a peg, and because I am tired beyond endurance of Favre -- it's time for me to believe that the Ravens are going to jack Minnesota up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Jake Delhomme has thrown so many interceptions, Favre is suing for copyright infringement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I was getting nervous looking for this. 

I read that article and I was a little spoiled with that season but in no way did I expect them to just pick it up and continue that level of play. Even if they somehow kept all the players from that year TB would still need time to recover and get his timing down.
    I'm glad they're in first place right now because they haven't come close to putting together a balanced, well executed 60-min game yet and it's only a matter of time until they do. I'm hoping it comes before the bye week.

Steelers home will destroy the Browns, they'll cover that by halftime
    Packers with the weather
    Hawks with Hasselback and the crowd at that insane asylum.

All the rest look good.

I see real tough weeks for fans of Baltimore, Arizona, and Chicago because they actually think they have playoff teams and they find out this week they don't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In Response to Re: Week Six NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week":
    Jake Delhomme has thrown so many interceptions, Favre is suing for copyright infringement.
    Posted by Yapple

I am waiting patiently for somebody to invent one of those "smiley" things to indicate "chuckling quietly to myself."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Tex, I think the 9.5 pts might be too much for the Pats to cover.  So far the Pats have played close games down to the wire.  Even the Atlanta game was close for 3 Qtrs.  The Problems I see in this game is that Tenn should have no problem controlling the time of possession, the Patriots running won't be a factor minus Fred Taylor, and Brady needs to breakout this Sunday against a weak secondary.  Fisher is coaching right now with nothing to lose, so don't be surprised to see Young in the Wildcat in the Redzone. 

I like the Pats chances if they get the early lead and take away the run from Tenn.  If Tenn gets the early lead, then the Pats are going to have to play perfect football and score on nearly every offensive possession.  Can they do it with Aiken?  We'll see.  I think this game will be won with some good old fashioned Brady Magic, but by less than 9.5

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

1.) NY Giants (+3) @ New Orleans Saints: Drew Brees has tendency to choke in big games, that's what caused the Chargers to trade him. i hate the Jints as much as you, but - PICK: Giants;

2.) Kansas City Chefs (+6) @ Washington Redskins: I'm hoping the Chefs get a W before next week, WAS is going to supply one. PICK: Chefs;

3.) Houston Texans (+5) @ Cincinnati Bengals: I said it last week, and I'll say it again, the Texans have no pass defense. The Cards proved it last week and Cincy will prove it again this week   PICK: Bengals;

4.) Cleveland Browns (+14) @ Pittsburgh Steelers: This one has shutout written all over it. PITT @ home against a team that scored only 6 last week? PIT 24-0 : PICK: Squeelers;

5.) Baltimore Ravens (+3) @ Minnesota Vikings: Hunch play. I like the Ravens to bounce back this week & Favre to serve up a couple int's PICK: Ravens;

6.) St. Louis Rams (+9.5) @ Jacksonville Jaguars: Yawner, STL can't score ( the worst OLINE in football)  and JAX is @ home  PICK: Jaguars;

7.) Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3): 3 points is not enough for me to take an 0-5 Buc squad.  PICK: Panthers;

8.) Detroit Lions (+13.5) @ Green Bay Packers: I think Detroit will cover.....................barely  PICK: Lions;

9.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Oakland Raiders (+14):  While TEX persists to call him 'uncle Al', I'll call him the 'master of halloween rejects'. J.Russell is doing a fine job. You only can appreciate it as much as me if you play them twice a year. I hope those prix lose 100 straight to SD. Do you want to know how I really feel?  PICK: Eagles;

10.) Arizona Cardinals (+3)  @ Seattle Seahawks: FB Owen Schmidt has a head like a rock. How do you win 41-0 one week and not cover by 3 against AZ @ home the next week? You do and will PICK: Seahawks;

11.) Buffalo Bills (+9.5) @ NY Jets: Frankly, I don't think the Jets are that good: PICK: Bills - cover in a loss;

12.) Tennessee Titans (+9.5) @ New England Patriots:  Pats get it together on the offensive side of the ball this week with the long ball, Fisher gets fired after this year. PICK: Patriots;

13.) Chicago Bears (+3) @ Atlanta Falcons: 'Jay Cutler is vastly overrated'. Amen brother, preachin' to the choir. After scoring 45 on Singletary's defensive minded 9ers, the dirty birds will put 30 on da Bears : PICK: Falcons;

14.) Denver Broncos (+3.5) @ San Diego Chargers: Norv is not the greatest headcoach of alltime, I get that part. But, giving Norv 2 weeks to 'offensively coordinate' a gameplan for the Broncos 'generic' approach will the undoing for Josh's OVERACHIEVERS, as Rivers tells the team to jump on his back, refusing to tolerate a loss in this one. Last 3 games at SD between these 2- SD 52-21, SD 23-3, & SD 48-20, thats by 31,20, & 28 respectively. Will SD win by 20 or more? no, but 6 points is what I'm thinkin' PICK: Chargers.     

BEST BETS: CINCY, Seattle, Pittsburgh; and yes, my Chargers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This is a fantasy question (you've been warned) if you have Matt Ryan and Brees who do you start ?    No really I mean it....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

This is a fantasy question (you've been warned) if you have Matt Ryan and Brees who do you start ?    No really I mean it....
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Both could have a tough week but I think the Giants D has a better chance of getting pressure than the Bears.

I'd take Ryan

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Tex, I think the 9.5 pts might be too much for the Pats to cover.  So far the Pats have played close games down to the wire.  Even the Atlanta game was close for 3 Qtrs.  The Problems I see in this game is that Tenn should have no problem controlling the time of possession, the Patriots running won't be a factor minus Fred Taylor, and Brady needs to breakout this Sunday against a weak secondary.  Fisher is coaching right now with nothing to lose, so don't be surprised to see Young in the Wildcat in the Redzone.  I like the Pats chances if they get the early lead and take away the run from Tenn.  If Tenn gets the early lead, then the Pats are going to have to play perfect football and score on nearly every offensive possession.  Can they do it with Aiken?  We'll see.  I think this game will be won with some good old fashioned Brady Magic, but by less than 9.5
    Posted by Grogan77

Oh my goodness! The Titans have a one dimensional offense. Yes, they can run the football. But their passing game is awful. Kerry Collins is having problems with accuracy and interceptions. On defense, their secondary makes the Pats secondary look like an all-star squad. They've been ripped by the likes of David Gerrard! 

Every media pundit...and myself incuded...have been waiting for the Titans to revert to last years' form. But...its' not happening. The truth is that the Titans are a mediocre at best football team. If the Patriots don't take out their frustrations on this bunch and rip them to shreads, you have to wonder whether the Pats have what it takes to contend this season.

Its' no longer "early". Its' game 5. Time for the team to start playing ball. If Pats' fans are worried about this bunch...it a symptom of just how dissappointing the Patriots have played thus far this season. Its' time for the Patriots to show that they're ready to reclaim their position as an elite NFL team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by JohnHannahrulz

This week...you roll with Ryan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

I love your posts, but I hate that you pick with the spread. The spread is for gamblers and people addicted to gambling. Pick straight up it makes for a more true to the sport post not some gambling related garbage IMHO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

the saints will beat the giants hands down, giants havent played anybody the only decent team they beat was the cowboys and they destroyed the giants defensive line that day, embarrassed them. The giants are no where near as good as their record indicates, the saints are the better team. Saints wing, and win fairly easy.

31-17

My upset pick this week is the texans over the bengals.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

I like most of your picks except:
    Green Bay will beat the Lions   and
    The Broncos will beat the Chargers

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Six NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week" : Of course we all realize that PatsFan24-7 is a source of objective knowledge and perspective...his pathological and inane Giants hatred aside, of course. BTW, 24-7, do you have a copy of SB 42? I would be glad to make you a copy. I even have the post game AND the parade. I mean, out of the goodness of my True Blue heart I offer it to you.
    Posted by JintsFan[/

lol i dont hate the giants? one year wonders happen all the time (as oppose to dynasties, they are truly special), no reason to hate them,  i just know what im talking about and i am passionate about it. The saints will beat the Giants because the saints are the better team, period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Couldn't help but enjoy the Ravens gacking one up against the mighty Bungles last week, after all the large talk about how they got jobbed by the officials against the Pats. That said, however, I think the Ravens are the kind of team that might give the Vikes trouble -- and let's face it, Minnesota has yet to play a quality team. That is not to say, necessarily, that Baltimore is a quality team. They had me fooled a few weeks ago. But Favre has been susceptible to pressure so far this season, and I believe the Ravens can bring the kind of pressure that may finally bring out the old Brett Favre that we all know and love so much . . .  the one who has thrown more interceptions than anyone else in the history of ever. If Flacco can stay out of Jared Allen's sights -- easier said than done -- I think he may be able to shred the Vikes' secondary, and I do think the Ravens smashmouth style (such as it is) will be something this version of the Viklings has yet to see. Mostly because I would like to see all these bandwagon Viklings fans who have suddenly come out of the woodwork taken down a peg, and because I am tired beyond endurance of Favre -- it's time for me to believe that the Ravens are going to jack Minnesota up.
    Posted by prairiemike

I think my comments about Baltimore being overrated might have some credibility now.  Its not that they are bad, by any stretch, in fact they are very good and certainly playoff material, but best in the league as some pundits were suggesting, no. 

Their O is going to be good and their d is still good, but those great players are getting older and while still effective, not special.  Look at their games this year.  They beat up on bad teams (which they should) but struggled to wins or lost to good ones.  

Exactly the reason why we cannot project Indy any higher than 4th at this time and that is on record alone. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Week Six NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week" :
    In Response to Re: Week Six NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week" : Of course we all realize that PatsFan24-7 is a source of objective knowledge and perspective...his pathological and inane Giants hatred aside, of course. BTW, 24-7, do you have a copy of SB 42? I would be glad to make you a copy. I even have the post game AND the parade. I mean, out of the goodness of my True Blue heart I offer it to you. Posted by JintsFan[/ lol i dont hate the giants? one year wonders happen all the time (as oppose to dynasties, they are truly special), no reason to hate them,  i just know what im talking about and i am passionate about it. The saints will beat the Giants because the saints are the better team, period.
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

24/7:

The NY Giants are anything but "one year wonders". They were the best team in the NFL last season (beat the champion Steelers on the road, 21-14), until the Plaxico Burress fiasco made neutered their offense. This season, they are easily one of the top 5 teams in the NFL.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I like most of your picks except: Green Bay will beat the Lions   and The Broncos will beat the Chargers
    Posted by viewer222

Of course GB should beat the Lions. But, I'll take the Lions, plus the 13.5 points.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I love your posts, but I hate that you pick with the spread. The spread is for gamblers and people addicted to gambling. Pick straight up it makes for a more true to the sport post not some gambling related garbage IMHO.
    Posted by WCPatsFan

Though I tend to agree with you, picking with the spread is far more challenging than just the mundane exercise of picking the winners. For example, Philly is going to beat the Raiders. Anybody can make that call. But, can they beat the Raiders by 2TD? 

Let me add that I don't gamble...and do not recommend that activity to anyone. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

BTW, 24-7, do you have a copy of SB 42? I would be glad to make you a copy. I even have the post game AND the parade. I mean, out of the goodness of my True Blue heart I offer it to you.
    Posted by JintsFan

I don't save fluke SB wins. Do you have copies of the Patriots three legitimate SB wins?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SchwillyPete. Show SchwillyPete's posts

giants havent played anybody
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

This is the most commonly used "analysis" for people who know nothing about football. This isn't the pansy *ss BCS, its the NFL.

Sections
Shortcuts