WEEK THIRTEEN NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

WEEK THIRTEEN NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

This week I see that there's only one really good team in the NFL. 

1    ne    15.2    (last wk. 1)

2    sf    13.8    (last wk. 2)

3    hou    12.4    (last wk. 3)

4    chi    11.3    (last wk. 8)

5    nyg    11.1    (last wk. 14)

6    den    10.8    (last wk. 5)

7    sea    10.6    (last wk. 4)

8    atl    10.5    (last wk. 7)

9    bal    10.1    (last wk. 10)

10    gb    9.9    (last wk. 6)

11    was    9.2    (last wk. 18)

12    tb    9.1    (last wk. 9)

13    dal    8.6    (last wk. 13)

14    cin    8.6    (last wk. 19)

15    car    8.1    (last wk. 11)

16    min    7.8    (last wk. 12)

17    no    7.6    (last wk. 16)

18    det    7.3    (last wk. 22)

19    stl    7.3    (last wk. 25)

20    buf    7.2    (last wk. 17)

21    mia    7.2    (last wk. 23)

22    pit    7.1    (last wk. 20)

23    sd    6.9    (last wk. 21)

24    ind    6.8    (last wk. 26)

25    cle    6.4    (last wk. 27)

26    nyj    6.2    (last wk. 15)

27    az    5.2    (last wk. 24)

28    phi    4.5    (last wk. 29)

29    ten    4.0    (last wk. 28)

30    jac    3.2    (last wk. 30)

31    oak    1.6    (last wk. 31)

32    kc    0.4    (last wk. 32)

My week 13 point spread predictions

Visitor/home/my points/Vegas/difference

no        atl                                 8.8            3.5            5.3

ind        det                               5.8            4.5            1.3

car       kc                                -4.3            -3.0            -1.3

az         nyj                                9.5            4.5            5.0

sf          stl                                 -3.1            -7.0            3.9

hou       ten                                -4.2            -5.5            1.3

min       gb                                8.4            9.0            -0.6

ne         mia                               -9.6            -7.0            -2.6

sea       chi                                8.6            4.5            4.1

jac        buf                               9.6            6.0            3.6

tb         den                               4.1            7.0            -2.9

cle        oak                              -3.2            1.5            -4.7

pit        bal                                9.0            No line   --

cin        sd                                 4.4            -1.5            5.9

phi        dal                                11.0            9.0            2.0

nyg       was                              -2.8            -2.5            -0.3

I'm reasonably satisfied with my (incorrect) pick of San Diego to defeat Baltimore.  Occasionally a team with nothing to lose on fourth and 29 will pick up exactly 29 yards.  Congrats to Ray Rice on that play and congrats to Baltimore for somehow not losing that game by ten points.  For their courageous (or lucky duck) struggles Balt goes up from #10 in my rankings to #9.  In any case, my game of the week didn't come in.  That happens.  I'm busted down to 5-5 with two pushes.  Rough year.

I have three marginal choices popping up for this week, San Diego, Atlanta and the Jets.  The Jets get the heave-ho because it looked like they had a collective head injury of some kind or another, and it's a trend that nobody humiliated by the Patriots tends to look good in the next game either.  I'm not so sure about San Diego because they might possibly be self-destructing this week.  Cincy has a real shot at a wild card and San Diego doesn't.  The opposite is true with Atlanta, a team that wants a first round bye and home field if possible, versus New Orleans, a team that failed to keep pace at home last week and now needs half a miracle on the road to get a wild card.  Only 3.5 points for a 10-1 team playing at home versus a 5-6 team?  I'll go for it.  Atlanta and New Orleans are both reasonably high on my home field tigers / road wimps list.

no        atl                                 8.8            3.5            5.3

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: WEEK THIRTEEN NFL PICKS and

Predicted 8.8 points for Atlanta, got 10.  That's about right. 

New England over Houston by 7.6 points right now.

New England over San Francisco by 10.6 points right now.  SF has a meaningful one at Seattle the next week, and those cross-country trips in the wrong time zone direction are murder.  New England has a short week but that has limited weight.

I can't wait for the professional teams to show up.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

New England over San Francisco by 10.6 points right now.  SF has a meaningful one at Seattle the next week, and those cross-country trips in the wrong time zone direction are murder.  New England has a short week but that has limited weight.

[/QUOTE]

yeah paul but something tells me u would have the Pats favored over a team made up of the best players from the 70's steelers 80's 49ers and 90's cowboys who rotated bradshaw montana and aikman

[/QUOTE]

I've been rating the Patriots at #1 quite often in the midst of past seasons, and I've been getting the homerism charge plenty of times from outsiders.  However, during the second half of the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons the Patriots have been 19-0, so favoring the Pats has rarely if ever been a losing strategy in December. 

19-0!  That has a nice ring to it!  (rimshot)

I rate the Patriots high because NFL box scores keep putting them at #1, and because I'm strict about my all-numeric rating formula.  I enjoy being right in retrospect, and I like to consistently prove Vegas wrong.  Given the long tenure of Bob and Jonathan Kraft, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady at Foxboro, this trend of ranking the Patriots high may not terminate for quite a while. 

If people want power rankings based on NFL win-loss records, they should go look at the  standings.

If your favorite team wants to crush five other NFL teams like aluminum cans at the recycling center, and if they never have a completely terrible game all season, maybe they could take over #1.  The Giants get serious credit for dominating Green Bay after their bye week, but before G.B. they played like an 8-8 team for a four game stretch.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah paul but something tells me u would have the Pats favored over a team made up of the best players from the 70's steelers 80's 49ers and 90's cowboys who rotated bradshaw montana and aikman

[/QUOTE]

I've been rating the Patriots at #1 quite often in the midst of past seasons, and I've been getting the homerism charge plenty of times from outsiders.  However, during the second half of the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons the Patriots have been 19-0, so favoring the Pats has rarely if ever been a losing strategy in December. 

I rate the Patriots high because NFL box scores keep putting them at #1, and because I'm strict about my all-numeric rating formula.  I enjoy being right in retrospect, and I like to consistently prove Vegas wrong.  Given the long tenure of Bob and Jonathan Kraft, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady at Foxboro, this trend of ranking the Patriots high may not terminate for quite a while. 

If people want power rankings based on NFL win-loss records, they should go look at the  standings.

If your favorite team wants to crush five other NFL teams like aluminum cans at the recycling center, and if they never have a completely terrible game all season, maybe they could take over #1.  The Giants get serious credit for dominating Green Bay after their bye week, but before G.B. they played like an 8-8 team for a four game stretch.

[/QUOTE]

if they played pats schedule they could...and doesnt seem like u take strength of sked into consideration-after all doesnt the team getting "crushed like aluminum cans" count or does a win over the jags equal a win over the packers?

[/QUOTE]

Eli and jints have been absolutely putrid against Cincinnati  , Pitts burg, and others.  Paul's doing them a huge favor at #5.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

Agree with your assessment and you're right about the results (19-0 streak).  Pats are on 18-4 run with all 4 losses of the flukey, could have gone the other way variety... 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Come back Tuesday after Eli gets smoked by rgIII...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Check back Tuesday after opie the woobling goober of jintland puts up another sub 60 QB rating..

That's his specialty this year.  Sucks to be you...

13. This post has been removed.