Week Two NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAT-from-India. Show PAT-from-India's posts

Re: Week Two NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

Did not agree with you at all last week. But mostly agree with you on this week. Just a litlle bit of wishful thinking ..Rams should win :P

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Week 2 power ratings and predictions

I felt complete satisfaction in naming Cincinnati as a fraud last week.  I’ll reprint the Fox Sports call one more once, with the updated version this week.  A power rating can get whiplash with this kind of movement.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

#3 Bengals:  Why isn't everyone talking about this team? Sure, they'll sign some questionable players from time to time, but when you examine Cincinnati's roster, you'll find they don't have many weaknesses.

#12 Bengals: I was actually speaking extemporaneously about the Bengals last week when I said they don't have many weaknesses.

#12 Patriots: Can anyone find a pass rusher for this team? Is Tully Banta-Cain the answer to their pass-rushing woes? It's never a good thing to have a weak pass rush when you have a very young secondary.

#4 Patriots: The Brady-Welker combo is back and better than ever. Brady looks to be close to his pre-injury form and with Welker back, how will opposing defenses stop them? We'll start to get a better idea when they face their archrival New York Jets this week.

I'm pleased to announce that here, the Patriots have moved all the way from number 2 to number 2.  They did gain some ground, though.

1     no     12.8     (last wk. 1)

2     ne     12.8     (last wk. 2)

3     gb     11.3     (last wk. 6)

4     bal     11.2     (last wk. 3)

5     hou     10.9     (last wk. 11)

6     min     10.6     (last wk. 7)

7     ind     9.7     (last wk. 4)

8     nyj     9.7     (last wk. 9)

9     ten     9.4     (last wk. 16)

10     phi     9.4     (last wk. 8)

11     sd     9.3     (last wk. 5)

12     dal     8.8     (last wk. 10)

13     atl     8.3     (last wk. 12)

14     mia     8.2     (last wk. 20)

15     pit     8.0     (last wk. 19)

16     car     7.5     (last wk. 13)

17     az     7.4     (last wk. 21)

18     den     7.4     (last wk. 14)

19     buf     7.4     (last wk. 17)

20     kc     7.2     (last wk. 23)

21     was     7.1     (last wk. 25)

22     nyg     7.0     (last wk. 27)

23     cin     6.9     (last wk. 18)

24     tb     6.7     (last wk. 24)

25     cle     6.7     (last wk. 22)

26     sf     6.3     (last wk. 15)

27     sea     5.7     (last wk. 31)

28     chi     5.6     (last wk. 26)

29     jac     5.5     (last wk. 29)

30     stl     5.3     (last wk. 28)

31     oak     3.2     (last wk. 30)

32     det     2.5     (last wk. 32)

Now for the purely numeric point spreads:

visitor  home  paulk  the betting public  difference

kc     cle     2.3     1.5     0.8

mia     min     6.6     5.5     1.1

az     atl     4.3     6.5     -2.2

phi     det     -7.3     -4.5     -2.8

chi     dal     7.8     8.5     -0.7

bal     cin     -3.6     -1.5     -2.1

buf     gb     9.0     13.5     -4.5

pit     ten     5.1     5     0.1

tb     car     4.1     -1     5.1

stl     oak     -0.2     4     -4.2

sea     den     5.5     3.5     2.0

jac     sd     8.7     8.5     0.2

hou     was     -2.7     -3     0.3

ne     nyj     -1.6     -2     0.4

nyg     ind     7.1     5.5     1.6

no     sf     -6.8     -5     -1.8

Minor calls for week two:

stl     oak     -0.2     4     -4.2

This one’s fun to root for and so it’s my game of the week.  If Oakland can’t beat St. Louis, who can they beat?  They have a tough slog to that #1 draft position, what with Detroit being the real deal also, but let's all root for them. Squabble!  Surrender!  Lose!

Saint Louis has a legitimate new QB and has been on the rise.  They at least looked good in New England. 

Oakland has a number of critical unfixed problems from last year and last I heard, Oakland didn’t have a running back.  If anything, Oakland showed in Tennessee that they weren’t the marginally ok team I thought they were.  What makes Oakland such a darling?

buf     gb     9.0     13.5     -4.5

Buffalo covering versus green bay.  Last week Miami pulled off a perfect punt with 2 minutes left in the game to help stop Buffalo cold and save the victory.  I don’t expect Green Bay to kick perfect punts onto the 1 yard line on demand.  Green Bay will run the prevent and win, but 13 or 14 points can be a huge risk on any given Sunday. 

tb     car     4.1     -1     5.1

My spreadsheet likes this one better than I do personally, being nervous about Carolina's competence.  Carolina might fight back as a home underdog.  Carolina was 8-8 last year and at that they won their last 3 games.  Carolina has its warts this year – their offense looked pedestrian in preseason against Baltimore and the Jets, but both opponents are famous for their D.  Worse, last week I thought they would have a chance against the Giants but they took the big dive on me.  It’s possible that they’re still dropping.  Still, Tampa Bay was an odious 3-13 last year, and their claim to fame so far this year is that they beat Cleveland at home.  Cleveland?

I have to comment about New England versus the Jets.  The Jets just had a 15 round fight on Monday night, they let it slip away too, and they have 5 1/2 days to get ready for their next game.  On the other hand Tom Brady played prevent the whole second half and rookie Mr. Cunningham got off the bench and into the game, so the Pats didn’t exactly get beaten up last Sunday.  Nice preseason tune-up game. 

Extra prep time helps defenses to cope better against New England’s numerous receiver variations - explosive lateral cuts by Edelman and Welker, (new!) end-zone block-outs by huge tight ends, bubble screens against CBs that don’t like to be blocked, and two speedsters.  BB and staff were probably crowded around the screen on Monday night, saying, “so that’s Ryan’s new wrinkle!”  The Patriots have lots of new players that the Jets haven’t yet seen, but they played fine against Cincinnati.  Blintz the Sancheese - he can’t handle pressure and certain parts of his line can’t stop attackers.

I’ll go with a 3-point Patriots victory out of respect for the Jets’ numbers, but at the same time I don’t see why the Patriots won’t find the same 31-14 hole in the Jets’ defense as last time.  The Jets have given no sign of making an offensive play this year, except they tried a couple of offensive passes in the locker room.

Week 1 predictions recap:

Cincy at NE:  Happy Happy Joy Joy!  For some reason, lots of people on this board thought the game would be close.  My feeling that BB did not care a fig about winning the third preseason game, and so he managed to skew my Patriots power rating downward, is heightened.

The rest of my week 1 calls indicate that preseason point differentials are nothing compared to preseason intelligence.  There’s too many new players and the statistics are too thin.  For smoking out Cincy’s incompetence, it was worth the effort.

Giants - Carolina.  Down.  Carolina was leading at the half but just got crushed after that.  Now I worry about Carolina’s basic competence.

Buffalo goes down against Miami.  Down.  The betting public was exactly right, except for a two point safety at the end caused by a perfect Miami punt to the 1 yard line.

Den jac:  Down.  For future reference, I will remember that Denver is a bunny on the road.  Also, Elvis has left the building.

Az stl:  a wash.  St. Louis got up and fought their first real game. 

Gb phi  Down.  Actually a pretty close game, with Vick driving for a tying touchdown with 2 minutes on the clock.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

1.) New England Patriots (+1.5) @ New York Jets: PICK: Patriots;

2.) Kansas City Chiefs (+1.5) @ Cleveland Browns:
    PICK: Chiefs;

3.) Buffalo Bills (+13) @ Green Bay Packers: PICK: Packers;

4.) Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals (+2): PICK: Bengals;

5.) Pittsburgh Steelers (+5) @ Tennessee Titans: PICK: Titans;

6.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Detroit Lions (+4.5):
    PICK: Eagles;

7.) Chicago Bears (+8) @ Dallas Cowboys: PICK: Bears;

8.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5) @ Carolina Panthers:
    PICK: Buccaneers;

9.) Arizona Cardinals (+6.5) @ Atlanta Falcons: PICK: Falcons;

10.) Miami Dolphins (+5.5) @ Minnesota Vikings: PICK: Vikings;

11.) St. Louis Rams (+3.5) @ Oakland Raiders: PICK: Rams;

12.) Seattle Seahawks (+3.5) @ Denver Broncos: PICK: Broncos;

13.) Houston Texans @ Washington Redskins (+5): PICK: Texans;

14.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+8) @ San Diego Chargers: PICK: Jaguars;

15.) New York Giants (+5.5) @ Indianapolis Colts: PICK: Colts;

16.) New Orleans Saints @ San Francisco 49ers (+4.5): PICK: Saints.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Tex,

Only ones I differ on this week are:

Miami getting 5.5 at Minny, Jax getting 8 at SD and Washington getting 5 at home vs. Houston.  I like the dogs in those three where you favor the chalk. 

I think Miami's defense can contain Minnesota.  Favre looked old to me.  He's done this before, I know, and bounced back.  But I just see this as a close, low scoring game, 17-14 either way, something like that.  Miami will try and control the clock with the run game and I think they can. 

I just don't see San Diego beating anybody by 8 right now.  They should beat the Jags at home, but I think Drew should be able to have a big game and Jax should be able to score some points and make it fairly close. 

I was impressed by Washington last week.  I didn't think I would be, but their defense looked athletic and aggressive vs. Dallas.  I'm not a McNabb fan, but he will improve as the season progresses, so I think they'll score a bit more against Houston.  I wouldn't expect a shootout in this one.  I see it as more of a defensive game, decided by a field goal. 

I'd like to pick the G-Men against the Colts, but can't quite do it.  I think they will run well against Indy and try and control the ball, but Indy should find a way to win and cover at home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and "Game of the Week":
    [QUOTE]Tex, Only ones I differ on this week are: Miami getting 5.5 at Minny, Jax getting 8 at SD and Washington getting 5 at home vs. Houston.  I like the dogs in those three where you favor the chalk.  I think Miami's defense can contain Minnesota.  Favre looked old to me.  He's done this before, I know, and bounced back.  But I just see this as a close, low scoring game, 17-14 either way, something like that.  Miami will try and control the clock with the run game and I think they can.

RESPONSE: I saw most of the Miami/Buffalo game...and the punchless Bills gave the 'Fins a tough game. Buffalo's OL may as bad or worse than the Cowboys'. they lost because their QB, Trent Edwards, was given little time to throw. 

I just don't see San Diego beating anybody by 8 right now.  They should beat the Jags at home, but I think Drew should be able to have a big game and Jax should be able to score some points and make it fairly close.

RESPONSE: You could be right. I almost went with the Jags, too. 

I was impressed by Washington last week.  I didn't think I would be, but their defense looked athletic and aggressive vs. Dallas.

RESPONSE: I thought that the horrid Cowboys' offense made the Redskins' "D" look good. That bonehead play by their offense in the closing seconds of the first half cost Dallas the game.

I'm not a McNabb fan, but he will improve as the season progresses, so I think they'll score a bit more against Houston.  I wouldn't expect a shootout in this one.

RESPONSE: McNabb has few weapons. Santana Moss is okay...and Chris Coolie is a good TE. They must establish the run to be effective. They won't be able to do that against Houston. I don't see Washington scoring more than 16 points on the Texans...and it won't be enough.

I see it as more of a defensive game, decided by a field goal.

RESPONSE: Houston's "O" is light years better than the Redskins' conservative play. 

I'd like to pick the G-Men against the Colts, but can't quite do it.  I think they will run well against Indy and try and control the ball, but Indy should find a way to win and cover at home.

RESPONSE: The key to the game will be whether the Giants can protect their Manning, and pressure Indy's Manning.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

What a difference a week, and a win, makes...as the Patriots shot up tp #4 on SI's Don Banks' NFL Power Ratings: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/09/15/power.rankings.1/index.html?eref=sihp

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

1.) New England Patriots (+1.5) @ New York Jets:  PICK: Patriots;

2.) Kansas City Chiefs (+1.5) @ Cleveland Browns:
    PICK: Chiefs;

3.) Buffalo Bills (+13) @ Green Bay Packers: PICK: Packers;

4.) Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals (+2): PICK: Bengals;

5.) Pittsburgh Steelers (+5) @ Tennessee Titans: PICK: Titans;

6.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Detroit Lions (+4.5):
    PICK: Lions;

7.) Chicago Bears (+8) @ Dallas Cowboys: PICK: Bears;

8.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5) @ Carolina Panthers:
    PICK: Bucs

9.) Arizona Cardinals (+6.5) @ Atlanta Falcons: PICK: Falcons;

10.) Miami Dolphins (+5.5) @ Minnesota Vikings: PICK: Vikings;

11.) St. Louis Rams (+3.5) @ Oakland Raiders: PICK: Rams;

12.) Seattle Seahawks (+3.5) @ Denver Broncos: PICK: Bronco;

13.) Houston Texans @ Washington Redskins (+5): PICK: Redskins;

14.) Jacksonville Jaguars (+8) @ San Diego Chargers: PICK: Chargers;

15.) New York Giants (+5.5) @ Indianapolis Colts: PICK: Giants;

16.) New Orleans Saints @ San Francisco 49ers (+4.5): PICK: Saints.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

For those of you who think that the greastest rivalry in the AFC East is Patriots/Jets, read this: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/14/1824963/for-dolfans-jets-loss-as-sweet.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Why is there's sheer panic in Hard Knoxville, after a one point loss to a Ravens team, which many pundits believe ia among the top 5 teams in the NFL? 
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/09/politi_hard_not_to_knock_the_j.html

LOL!!!

Look for the Jets to attempt to open up their offense early against the seemingly vunerable Patriots' defense. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Slight correction:  I read today's odds as having the Patriots as 2.5 point favorites.  In the posts above, the Patriots are listed as 1.5 point road underdogs, just as Buffalo right below that listing is a 13 point road underdog to Green Bay. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Slight correction:  I read today's odds as having the Patriots as 2.5 point favorites.  In the posts above, the Patriots are listed as 1.5 point road underdogs, just as Buffalo right below that listing is a 13 point road underdog to Green Bay. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter what the odds are now, matters when you made the bet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

only game that matters is phins/vikes with the phins pulling out a close game 20-17 because the phins D makes favre look even older

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

[QUOTE]only game that matters is phins/vikes with the phins pulling out a close game 20-17 because the phins D makes favre look even older
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]

Let's hope so. I think the Vikes secondary is vulnerable. Henne needs to have a big game. Long needs to play huge.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" : Let's hope so. I think the Vikes secondary is vulnerable. Henne needs to have a big game. Long needs to play huge.
    Posted by perfect72[/QUOTE]

Perfect One...Miami's "D" will have a much tougher time with Bret Favre and the Minnesota OL, than they had with Trent Edwards, and the porous Bills' OL. The 'Fins will need to score at least 21 points to have a shot at winning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Slight correction:  I read today's odds as having the Patriots as 2.5 point favorites.  In the posts above, the Patriots are listed as 1.5 point road underdogs, just as Buffalo right below that listing is a 13 point road underdog to Green Bay. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

At the time of my original post, Paul, the Pats were +1,5 'dogs. Perhaps the reported Revis hamstring injury caused more folks to start laying money on the Pats...causing the change. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]     What a difference a week, and a win, makes...as the Patriots shot up tp #4 on SI's Don Banks' NFL Power Ratings: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/09/15/power.rankings.1/index.html?eref=sihp
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]This only shows what a d@osh Don Banks is. They should of been rated higher. I hate when the Media jumps on the Pats wagon. I turned in my Office Pool with all the same Picks except Cincy. I think Cincy takes a step back this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's Tedy Bruschi's breakdown of the upcoming Pats v. Jets game: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5581610

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Execellent job with your writing, but I have to pick against the Pats I'm afraid.  I thought they'd win last week, but as you say their D must play well for 4 quarters and I just don't see that.  They're still too young and prone to inconsistency.  I think the Jets also will be a little more disciplined with less penalties, and maybe a little less blitzing.  It'll be close but since it's a near must-win, NYJ by 4.  I hope I'm wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" : Let's hope so. I think the Vikes secondary is vulnerable. Henne needs to have a big game. Long needs to play huge.
    Posted by perfect72[/QUOTE]
    well in that first game, they were playing back up safeties at the corner position because of injuries...but what really stuck out to me is how much the williams bros. got pushed around by the guards of the Saints

this tells me to pound the rock until they cry for mercy with ronnie and ricky and use playaction with marshall and fasano in the middle of the field

and im sure nolan has devised a scheme that will drive favre nuts...im guessing at least 1 INT, if not 2 or more

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]only game that matters is phins/vikes with the phins pulling out a close game 20-17 because the phins D makes favre look even older

I don't know Jimmy.. I'm impressed with the Vikings defense. You guys didn't exactly tear it up against the Bills last week. I did take the Vikings on my football card and in one of my pools so you have that going for you as a reverse whammy but I'd be a little nervous about this game if I were a phins fan.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Only game I care about.....will be a great win for the Pats in the New Jets Home.

1.) New England Patriots (+1.5) @ New York Jets:
    This game promises to be a "Texas Death" Match...no DQs, no count-outs...it must be won by pin-fall or submission. The Jets can ill afford to drop to 0-2. But, this is a game that the Patriots have been chomping at the bit to play for months. Losing NT Kris Jenkins is a huge loss for the Green-shirts. The Patriots' were a horrible road team last year. Their "D" must play well for all four quarters in this one:
     PICK: Patriots;

I felt the exact same way about the Ravens, for as bad as the Jets played and the number of yards gained through penalties, they only won by 1!

4.) Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals (+2): The Bengals "D" was turned inside out by Tom Brady and company last week. But, Joe Flacco is no Brady. The Ravens barely hung on to beat the punch-less Jets. In what basically amounts to a pick-'em game:
    PICK: Bengals;

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" : I don't know Jimmy.. I'm impressed with the Vikings defense. You guys didn't exactly tear it up against the Bills last week. I did take the Vikings on my football card and in one of my pools so you have that going for you as a reverse whammy but I'd be a little nervous about this game if I were a phins fan.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

I agree, finns looked weak against the BILLS....Come on Man!

Vikings will make it 0 and 2 for the Miami fans, who are all ready worried.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" : I don't know Jimmy.. I'm impressed with the Vikings defense. You guys didn't exactly tear it up against the Bills last week. I did take the Vikings on my football card and in one of my pools so you have that going for you as a reverse whammy but I'd be a little nervous about this game if I were a phins fan.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]
    i was impressed with their D too...but it was the passing defense that impressed me being they were playing back ups out of position...but the williams bros got pushed around big time in 2nd half of that game...big time...if that happens again...the phins will win comfortably

and all the defense has to do is not let peterson beat them...easier said than done of course but favre strikes no fear in me anymore

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

uh, gmbill...i hate to burst your bubble but the phins won week 1...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" : i was impressed with their D too...but it was the passing defense that impressed me being they were playing back ups out of position...but the williams bros got pushed around big time in 2nd half of that game...big time...if that happens again...the phins will win comfortably and all the defense has to do is not let peterson beat them...easier said than done of course but favre strikes no fear in me anymore

Yeah, If Favre doesn't shape up from last week to this week I wouldn't be to scared of him. How do think the Phins Defense is going to handle Peterson?