Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week

Lots of great games on tap this coming week. Theres New Orleans at Philly, Baltimore at San Diego, and the NY Giants at Dallas, just to name a few. But, my choice for the Game of the Week is:

1.) New England Patriots @ NY Jets (+5.5): This game has all the ingredients of a Hollywood movie. Currently, there is no greater rivalry in the NFL than Patriots/Jets. Then, you have the subplot of the young gunslinger (Mark Sanchez) against the guy who, less than two years ago, was unquestionably the fastest gun in the West...until he was wounded one year ago. You have the new, bombastic coach of the Jets, trying to stare down the great Patriots' Zen master, BB.
         Though its' early, this game will tell us who the clear front runner will be in the AFC East. The Jets were very impressive in stomping the Texans in Houston, 24-7. Meanwhile, the Patriots were anything but impressive in eeking out a 25-24 win over the lowly regarded Buffalo Bills in their opener. Look for tthe Jets to blitz Tom Brady ffrom every conceivable angle...and to try to isolate RB/KR Leon Washington in the open field. Though the Pats may be without their best defender (Jerod Mayo), and a sloppy performance, the pproblem for the Jets is...that the Patriots' know it. Tom Brady showed his disgust with his own play by blowing off a female reporter, who  was seeking a post game interview.  
    PICK: Patriots;

2.) Oakland Raiders (+3) @ Kansas City Chiefs:
    Both teams played well in losing efforts against quality competition. Should be an interesting game to watch, for a change.
    PICK: Chiefs;

3.) Houston Texans (+7) @ Tennessee Titans:
    Titans have had several extra days to stew, and prepare, after losing a gritty OT thriller to the Steelers. Are the Texans really as bad as they looked last week? YES.
    PICK: Titans;

4.) Cincinnati Bengals (+9) @ Green Bay Packers:
    Bengals know that they gave one away last week. Packers, despite a four interception performance by Jay Cutler, still had problems beating the Bears. The Bengals should at least cover.
    PICK: Bengals;

5.) Minnesota Vikings (+9.5) @ Detroit Lions
    :Don't see much reason to expect change from the Lions. Their secondary is still awful, and they still can't stop the run. Not good, when Adrian Peterson is in town.
    PICK: Vikings;

6.) New Orleans Saints (+1.5) @  Philadelphia Eagles:
    Despite a cracked rib, my guess is that Donavan McNabb tries to play. Drew Brees will find the going a bit tougher this week, as the Lions and the Eagles are not birds of a feather.
    PICK: Eagles;

7.) Carolina Panthers (+6) @ Atlanta Falcons: How many turnovers will Jake DelHomme suffer this week? I wonder if Vegas has a line on it? 
    PICK: Falcons;

8.) St. Louis Rams (+10) @ Washington Redskins: Too wide a spread.
    PICK: Rams;

9.) Arizona Cardinals (+3.5) @ Jacksonville Jaguars: Though the Cards have OT problems, do the Jags have the personnel to take advantage? Regardless of what happened last week, the Cards can score...the Jags can't.
    PICK: Cardinals;

10.) Seattle Seahawks (+1.5) @ San Francisco 49ers: Winner of this game takes early control of the NFC West. The Seahawks look poised to be a playoff team.
    PICK: Seahawks;

11.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+4.5) @ Buffalo Bills: The Bills take out their frustrations on the woeful Bucs.
    PICK: Bills;

12.) Cleveland Browns (+3) @ Denver Broncos: Broncos should have momentum after pulling onne out of the fire last wweek in Cincinnati.
    PICK: Broncos;

13.) Baltimore Ravens (+3.5) @ San Diego Chargers: Stern test for the Ravens "D" this week. Iff the Raidders could pass on the Chargers...why not the Ravens?
    PICK: Ravens;

14.) Pittsburgh Steelers @ Chicago Bears (+3): Looks like another tough day for Jay Cutler. Bears will be without their best defender, Brian Urlacher. 
    PICK: Steelers;

15.) NY Giants (+3) @ Dallas Cowboys: 
    Tough game to call. Cowboys should be at their best in their opener in their new palace.
    PICK: Cowboys;

16.) Indianapolis Colts @ Miami Dolphins (+3): With a road game in San Diego the next game on tap, the 'Fins can ill afford a loss this week.
    PICK: Dolphins.

Best bets? Vikings, Steelers, and Patriots.

Thoughts? Picks? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LovelyLeon. Show LovelyLeon's posts

Re: Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week

That Tom Brady is a real class act huh?Big baby-Jets win a laugher-You heard it here 1st gang!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

whether the dolphins can afford it or not i think the colts will win by a touchdown.... other than that i like the picks. I dont think the Texans are bad but they were certainly overrated pre-season by alot of publications

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

If you are going to pick the fins over the colts, I don't know how you can pick the pats over the jets. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

4 differences with TexasPat

1)  Green Bay will cover the big spread with Cincy.

2)  Indy over Miami

3)  San Fran over Seattle

4)  Browns over Broncos

PS  it's very tempting to take the Jets, given that 5.5 underdog status (seems too high), but i won't go there

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Fairly mundane matchups and chalk picks.

Two things:

Blue New Jersey is gonna wreck Dallas and no way on this earth the Dolphins gack the Colts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Mike:

Remains to be seen on how well Indy performs. Miami, in the raging heat, is always a tough place to play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week:
    [QUOTE]If you are going to pick the fins over the colts, I don't know how you can pick the pats over the jets. 
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]
    Why? The two games have nothing to do with each other.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Don't mind me, Tex . . .  I just like to be contrary.

But I really do think the Jints will walk all over Dallas.

And even though Miami is a tough roadie, those damn Colts always seem to find a way to win . . .

in the regular season.
    Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week:
    [QUOTE]     Lots of great games on tap this coming week. Theres New Orleans at Philly, Baltimore at San Diego, and the NY Giants at Dallas, just to name a few. But, my choice for the Game of the Week is: 1.) New England Patriots @ NY Jets (+5.5): This game has all the ingredients of a Hollywood movie. Currently, there is no greater rivalry in the NFL than Patriots/Jets. Then, you have the subplot of the young gunslinger (Mark Sanchez) against the guy who, less than two years ago, was unquestionably the fastest gun in the West...until he was wounded one year ago. You have the new, bombastic coach of the Jets, trying to stare down the great Patriots' Zen master, BB.      Though its' early, this game will tell us who the clear front runner will be in the AFC East. The Jets were very impressive in stomping the Texans in Houston, 24-7. Meanwhile, the Patriots were anything but impressive in eeking out a 25-24 win over the lowly regarded Buffalo Bills in their opener. Look for tthe Jets to blitz Tom Brady ffrom every conceivable angle...and to try to isolate RB/KR Leon Washington in the open field. Though the Pats may be without their best defender (Jerod Mayo), and a sloppy performance, the pproblem for the Jets is...that the Patriots' know it. Tom Brady showed his disgust with his own play by blowing off a female reporter, who  was seeking a post game interview.   PICK: Patriots;      Best bets? Vikings, Steelers, and Patriots.      Thoughts? Picks?          
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    Don't know how you can pick the pats, Texas, after last night's performance and the news that mayo is out 6-8 weeks. I believe the jests are licking their chops at the prospect of going up against a patriot team with a weak pass rush and an inexperienced backup at MLB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I like your picks Tex, but I have to disagree with you bigtime on the Dolphins.  I'm down here in Florida and I watch the phins game against the Falcons, the Fish have no offense.  They are paying the price for not drafting or picking up a WR.  Their game plan is pretty much short passes and gimmicks and  Pat White is a bust, he missed a wide open Ted Gynn, but he's been awful since day one.

The Colts will be all over this overrated D, because people don't realize how important Matt Roth was to this D last season.  The Colts will put up some points on this weak secondary and the Phins just cannot be expected to come from behind.   The Dolphins special teams is still a disaster, so I expect the Colts to win by at least 10+.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I like your picks Tex, but I have to disagree with you bigtime on the Dolphins.  I'm down here in Florida and I watch the phins game against the Falcons, the Fish have no offense.  They are paying the price for not drafting or picking up a WR.  Their game plan is pretty much short passes and gimmicks and  Pat White is a bust, he missed a wide open Ted Gynn, but he's been awful since day one.

RESPONSE: I think Miami will be able to run on the Indy defense and, eventually, wear the Indy "D" down. The important thing for Miami is to not let the Colts jump off to an early lead.

The Colts will be all over this overrated D, because people don't realize how important Matt Roth was to this D last season. 

RESPONSE: I heard Roth was on the verge of getting cut during the preseason. In fact:

"Roth was the subject of some controversy at the beginning of training camp in 2009. According to head coach Tony Sparano, Roth failed the team's initial conditioning test due to an unknown illness. However, Roth's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, stated in a television appearance the failed test was due to a groin injury.[2] On September 5, 2009, Roth was placed on the Reserve/Non-Football-Injury list. He will not be eligible to practice or play
    for the first six weeks of the 2009 season. [3]"   

From Wikipedia on Roth 

The Colts will put up some points on this weak secondary and the Phins just cannot be expected to come from behind. 

RESPONSE: WR Anthony Gonzalez is out. So, Miami should be able to double team Reggie Wayne.

The Dolphins special teams is still a disaster, so I expect the Colts to win by at least 10+.

RESPONSE: Indy's special teams have been nothing to write home about in recent years, either. The heat will bother the older Indy team. I see a close game.

Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Should be an interesting game...but as long as the Pats win, I'm happy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week : Don't know how you can pick the pats, Texas, after last night's performance and the news that mayo is out 6-8 weeks. I believe the jests are licking their chops at the prospect of going up against a patriot team with a weak pass rush and an inexperienced backup at MLB.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Unclealfie...oh ye of little faith. Last year, the Pats went into NY without Tom Brady and did those Gotham Goblins in.

The Pats are to a man upset about their performance against Buffalo. They've heard all the trash talk coming from Kris Jenkins (we're treating this game like a SB) and from Rex Ryan. No one was more upset about how the Pats' played then Tom Brady. The Pats will be ready, Mayo or no Mayo, come Sunday.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week : Why? The two games have nothing to do with each other.

Very good Cronk. 

Now here's why - The pats needed luck against an inferior team to beat them.  Certainly they took advantage of that luck.  Good for them.  But that does not mean they played a solid game.  The Jets, on the other hand, throttled a team on the road that pundits had as a playoff team this year.  You said the Texans would be the Jets by 21. 

If you are as astute as you think you are (alert), then the Jets have to be a very very very good team and now they get to play at home against a struggling team that lacks defensive continuity and lost a starter.  This does not even consider that the Jets have a far superior defense to the Bills. 

Yet, TP picked the Pats over the Jets.  It is my belief that TP is using he past greatness of the Pats as a basis for his reasoning for the pats win (understandable), rather than the luck necessary version we saw Sunday night. 

Based on my belief of that reasoning, I can also apply that greatness of the past Colts as reasoning for why the colts should be picked over the Fins.  Additionally, the Fins turned the ball over 4 times in a losing effort against a defense that most thought would be average at best this year after losing 5 starters.  The fins were beaten handily and have problems understanding what they are going to be this year on the offensive side of the ball. 

The colts, on the other hand, played poorly but still controlled the game and won.  Held MJD under 100 yards, while missing a few starters on D, lost Anthony Gonzalez, and turned the ball over twice in the red zone. 

That's why.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week : Why? The two games have nothing to do with each other.

What Udogg doesn't seem to understand is that logic and deductive reasoning doesn't apply to football. If it did, we could just feed data into a computer, and it would decide tthe outcome.

Football  is an emotional game. We'll see a different Patriots' team on Sunday, than we saw Monday night. Tom Brady said at the start of the season that, "the Patriots are on a mission." Well...if the Pats continue to play as they did Monday, theres' no chance that the "mission" Brady speaks of will be accomplished. Tom won't have that...and neither will BB.

As for the Colts, playing a game in Miami at this time of year is particularly tough. though the Colts were able to shut down Jacksonville, the Jags had only one weapon (Maurice Jones-Drew), and likely won't win more than 4 games this season. Miami has a better club...and presents a greater challenge. 

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Indy beat Miami. That would help the Pats in two ways. First, the defending AFC East champs would drop to 0-2. Second, the Colts would move that much closer to winning their division...thereby making it more likely that the 2010 2nd round picks that the Pats own from Tennessee and Jacksonville would be higher up in that round.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

TP - as much of the back and forth that you and I have had, I respect you. 

That said:

If you were to tell Belichick to rely solely on the emotion of his team and not logic and deductive reasoning for his game prep this week, and I would expect him to learn how deeply he can get his shoe up your a*s. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]That Tom Brady is a real class act huh?Big baby-Jets win a laugher-You heard it here 1st gang!
    Posted by LovelyLeon[/QUOTE]

I suspect that you'll be a hard guy to find, following this Sunday. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Jets look ahead to Patriots: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/09/by_dave_hutchinson_starledger.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Hi Tex:

Disagree on the Bengals / Packers; the Packers D looked pretty terrific last week - I think they will beat the spread.

Re the Pats, I wonder if they spent some of their Buffalo prep time looking ahead to the Jets last week - I could imagine that given the firing of Buffalo's OC and the difficulty of going to a successful no huddle (that was not working too well), the Pats could have thought that they could spare a few extra hours looking at the Jets; especially knowing it would be a short week. Its not BB Gospel, but... it could explain their looking so befuddled for most of the Buffalo game.

So maybe we see a little more cohesive Pats team next week... I sure hope so - the Jets looked good in week 1.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

My winners:

Patriots
    Chiefs
    Texans
    Packers 
    Vikings
    Saints
    Falcons
    Redskins
    Jaguars
    Seahawks
    Bills
    Broncos
    Chargers
    Bears 
    Cowboys
    Dolphins

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Tex: Disagree on the Bengals / Packers; the Packers D looked pretty terrific last week - I think they will beat the spread. Re the Pats, I wonder if they spent some of their Buffalo prep time looking ahead to the Jets last week - I could imagine that given the firing of Buffalo's OC and the difficulty of going to a successful no huddle (that was not working too well), the Pats could have thought that they could spare a few extra hours looking at the Jets; especially knowing it would be a short week. Its not BB Gospel, but... it could explain their looking so befuddled for most of the Buffalo game. So maybe we see a little more cohesive Pats team next week... I sure hope so - the Jets looked good in week 1.
    Posted by BelichickDisciple[/QUOTE]

Disciple:

As a BB disciple, you should know that the coach never looks past an opponent. That said, is it possible that the Pats employed very vanilla offensive and/or defensive schemes...saving some new wrinkles for the Jets? Absolutely.

To a man, the Pats know that they played their "C" game Monday night, and were lucky to escape with a win. They'll play much better on Sunday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week :      Disciple:      As a BB disciple, you should know that the coach never looks past an opponent. That said, is it possible that the Pats employed very vanilla offensive and/or defensive schemes...saving some new wrinkles for the Jets? Absolutely.      To a man, the Pats know that they played their "C" game Monday night, and were lucky to escape with a win. They'll play much better on Sunday.

Hope you're right Tex, but with Mayo, Thomas, and Nincovich all hurt, BB might have to get in there and plug some holes him self.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Two NFL Picks and Game of the Week : Hope you're right Tex, but with Mayo, Thomas, and Nincovich all hurt, BB might have to get in there and plug some holes him self.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

They were able to win in NY with Cassel last year...they'll find a way to get it done again this year, despite the thin LB corp. Whats' wrong with Thomas? I didn't see his name on the injury report.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

The Jets were ranked 29th last year in passing defense. Even with a few new faces and Rex Ryan,they're defense didn't improve THAT much! Houston's O-line has been one the worst in the NFL at pass protection since they became reborn as a frachise.David Carr's career was cut in half because of their O-line.The key is if Brady has really shaken the rust off in the final 5 min. against the Bill's.If he comes out strong,it's over by halftime.C'mon, they're the Jets.Are you guys kidding me,Brady has won 9 out of the last 10 regular season games against them.I like our chances.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]     Mike:          Remains to be seen on how well Indy performs. Miami, in the raging heat, is always a tough place to play.

TP3:

Forget the heat, it's the humidity that wears out most visiting teams by the beginning of the fourth quarter. Which is why I'm picking Miami to beat the Colts in a mild upset.

Potentially the best game of the week: Pittsburgh vs. Chicago. The Steelers have a tendency to struggle when going up against above average QB's regardless of their supporting cast (case point: Arizona in the Super Bowl). Crybaby Cutler has an opportunity to prove that he is an elite QB by leading the Bears to victory. The Bears' defense, although affected by the loss of its leader, is still tough enough to give the Steeler offense some fits of its own.

Sections
Shortcuts