Welker 5 year deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Welker 5 year deal?

98.5 is reporting that Welker will be getting a 5 year deal from the Pats shortly.

As Mazz like to say, If this is true, I will be getting a "pants tent" over it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Welker 5 year deal?

A 5 yr deal? I wouldn't be excited about that given Welkers age and the amount of hits he's taken. Unless it's to give a large bonuse and low base for the first couple of years to cut cap

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Heard same thing on WEEI - 5 years, 40 MIL for Welker to STAY! with Pats....Hope it's True!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

For the love of god, NO!!! How can you listen to those two hyenas anyway?

The ony way a 5 year deal for Welker makes any sense at all is if they pay him peanuts in 2013 and 2014, with the biggest part of the deal coming in 2015.

That could be the case. Give him the larger bonus that he wants, spread it over 5 years, and pay him peanuts for base in 2013 and 2014 to minimize the cap hit.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Relax, it will be structured in a way that the back end will be the short money but guaranteed. Pats are smart at this.

Welker still produces. That's all that matters. Plus he's the toughest SOB on the team.

How much you wanna bet Brady is working his numbers so life is good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Well, I would expect it to be backloaded with the last year or two at big dollars he's unlikely to ever see. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

For the love of god, NO!!! How can you listen to those two hyenas anyway?

The ony way a 5 year deal for Welker makes any sense at all is if they pay him peanuts in 2013 and 2014, with the biggest part of the deal coming in 2015.

I wasn't listening....really...ah....I overheard things...no freAKIN way my radio is set to 98.5....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I would assume there will be a an out clause to void the final 2 or 3 years of the deal.

Stallworth signed a 6 year 33 million dollar deal with the Pats in 2007. Even at the time, we all knew it wasn't really a 6 year deal.

Guaranteed money and any clauses to void any years is what I would be looking at.

My speculation would be a low cap hit this season with the biggest coming in 2015, when Brady's contract could potentially come off the books.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I would be real surprised about this as it was the time of contract that they had issues with at the beginning of all this I believe.  I doesn't make any sense unless the money is not front loaded or cap friendly.  Otherwise this will not make a whole lot of sense to me.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145113/article/wes-welker-patriots-could-still-get-extension-done?campaign=Twitter_atl

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Well, I would expect it to be backloaded with the last year or two at big dollars he's unlikely to ever see. 

Normally, that would be correct. But my gut tells me the Pats are doing the right thing here. Welker will get paid very well the next 3 seasons. It's the 4th and 5th that I believe will drop off.

He DESERVES it. he was, and is, a stand up guy. He kept his mouth shut and still plays at a high level.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Normally, that would be correct. But my gut tells me the Pats are doing the right thing here. Welker will get paid very well the next 3 seasons. It's the 4th and 5th that I believe will drop off.

He DESERVES it. he was, and is, a stand up guy. He kept his mouth shut and still plays at a high level.

You can do right and back load at same time. ie 20mil signing bonus gives him 20mil upfront then 9mil over the first 3 years with 2mil in the first 2 years each lowers the cap hit to 6mil a year for the first two years. That's 29mil over 3 years essentially and they can dump the last twp years

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

You can do right and back load at same time. ie 20mil signing bonus gives him 20mil upfront then 9mil over the first 3 years with 2mil in the first 2 years each lowers the cap hit to 6mil a year for the first two years. That's 29mil over 3 years essentially and they can dump the last twp years

Yup, that would work. Look Welker is still a kick azz slot receiver. I'm happy for him and the Team if this all works out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Not to be an ingrate, but i'd do fewer years. Two year + club option. And that could be as high as I go. I respect Wes, but the Pats already have money tied up in two TEs. Chances are the Pats could 3/5ths of the production from Edelman (health) for about half the price. And no that was not a gratuitious slavery reference.  5 years is very long time for Wes ( a gutsy player that often gets hit hard over the middle\) If Wes is Jerry Rice I cut that 5 yr deal. And I respect the heck out of Wes, but 5 yrs is very long time in the NFL.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree w/ all this but you never pay for past performance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Now with Brady's extension if you can do a 5yr $40mil for Welker with $20 signing and years $2mil, $2mil, $7mil, $7mil, $2mil I'd do it.

That's a $6mil cap hit which gives you $2mil left on Brady's extension savings. Then you go out and get Nelson as you big target throw it up and get it threat which he should only command $2mil and you're good. The Pats liked Nelson trying to sign him to a UDFA contract in 10' and he killed them so it makes sense. Then you essentially have a WR core of Lloyd, Welker, Nelson, Edelman (resign), and Hern as and extra receiver. That's a heck of a WR core imo and doesn't use draft picks nor uses the prvious cap space before Brady's extension. I say get it one and focus on the D in the draft completely

Resign Vollmer, sign Goldson, get a starting CB (Talib/DRC/Houston) and call FA a day

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Now with Brady's extension if you can do a 5yr $40mil for Welker with $20 signing and years $2mil, $2mil, $7mil, $7mil, $2mil I'd do it.

That's a $6mil cap hit which gives you $2mil left on Brady's extension savings. Then you go out and get Nelson as you big target throw it up and get it threat which he should only command $2mil and you're good. The Pats liked Nelson trying to sign him to a UDFA contract in 10' and he killed them so it makes sense. Then you essentially have a WR core of Lloyd, Welker, Nelson, Edelman (resign), and Hern as and extra receiver. That's a heck of a WR core imo and doesn't use draft picks nor uses the prvious cap space before Brady's extension. I say get it one and focus on the D in the draft completely

Resign Vollmer, sign Goldson, get a starting CB (Talib/DRC/Houston) and call FA a day

I am thinking it is more like a $16-$18 million guarantee..but your logic is spot on

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I was hoping for 2 so hell's yes a 5 year will work!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I can see a 3 year, but not 5. he can't take all that beating to the head and make it 5 more years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Welker or not we still need a real #1 WR too win it all.

Sections
Shortcuts