Welker 5 year deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Welker 5 year deal?

In response to PatsEng's comment:

A 5 yr deal? I wouldn't be excited about that given Welkers age and the amount of hits he's taken. Unless it's to give a large bonuse and low base for the first couple of years to cut cap

yea at 2 mil per base

still i feel its handicapping the offense passing so many 4 yard passes. need a big outside wr.

i kinda rather move on.

if we then want to pass short demps, edelman, vereen more likely to do something dangersous with a 4 yard pass. especailly if the de backs are flying away from the line of scrimmage becasue we have a big fast body who can separate and catch making them do so.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Welker or not we still need a real #1 WR too win it all.

Agreed and a big one

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

Heard same thing on WEEI - 5 years, 40 MIL for Welker to STAY! with Pats....Hope it's True!!

i hope its not. 8 mil per year tied up in wes fro 5 years. holy crap!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/25/patriots-wes-welker-may-still-work-out-a-long-term-deal/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

i really hope this is a false rumor. don't do it wes, go chase those bigger $'s and leave please. thank you.

:)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Now with Brady's extension if you can do a 5yr $40mil for Welker with $20 signing and years $2mil, $2mil, $7mil, $7mil, $2mil I'd do it.

That's a $6mil cap hit which gives you $2mil left on Brady's extension savings. Then you go out and get Nelson as you big target throw it up and get it threat which he should only command $2mil and you're good. The Pats liked Nelson trying to sign him to a UDFA contract in 10' and he killed them so it makes sense. Then you essentially have a WR core of Lloyd, Welker, Nelson, Edelman (resign), and Hern as and extra receiver. That's a heck of a WR core imo and doesn't use draft picks nor uses the prvious cap space before Brady's extension. I say get it one and focus on the D in the draft completely

Resign Vollmer, sign Goldson, get a starting CB (Talib/DRC/Houston) and call FA a day

like everything here (and have suggested similar) except using that much of $ for wes. i add a fa pass rusher. sorta ok if keep wes at much less money, but would be ok to move on as well (and save lots dough-use it to replace him and other needs).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

agreed. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'll tell you looking at the available free agent recievers and where we're drafting, I started to think having Welker back wouldn't be such a bad idea...there's just not a lot out there right now and certainly no guarantees a guy is going to come in and fit in. It's not an ideal situation with his age and the post season drops, but we all now he is a guy that will keep the chains moving - that's something that can't be discounted.

If he signs a five year deal, he will be long gone after three. This may be the smart thing to do, all things considered. Draft a guy in the second or third to play outside - make it clear that he WILL be playing and the ball WILL be thrown to him....spend every other available dime on defense.

I've always liked Welker...no one works harder...he can take a hit...he can get open. I just wish he was 28.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Glad to hear it! But, I am a 'sentimentalist' at heart and could never be the ruthless NFL GM that most teams require. I would also like to see the other 'mighty mites' re-upped. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

agreed. 

Mike Wallace 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

5 years? No way. Too long, way too long. No more than 2-3--that is, unless they are planning to sign a field stretching, fast receiver to take some of the load off Welker. Now that I could go for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I was hoping for 2 so hell's yes a 5 year will work!

Was looking for tFb!  Once again, TB12 shows why there is only one Tom Brady!  By him doing this, this tells me WELKER will be here with Tom for as long as they can go!  They let branch go several years ago, after brady restructered, brady was pissed, not this time.  They'll ink Wes before FA!   cant wait until its official!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Agreed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

5 years? No way. Too long, way too long. No more than 2-3--that is, unless they are planning to sign a field stretching, fast receiver to take some of the load off Welker. Now that I could go for.

As everyone here knows I have been calling for a WW deal to get done since last year.  It looks like that is now very possible.  But I agree, a 5 year deal for Welker is too long.  Even 3 is pushing it.  I would be very happy with a 2 year deal!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Was looking for tFb!  Once again, TB12 shows why there is only one Tom Brady!  By him doing this, this tells me WELKER will be here with Tom for as long as they can go!  They let branch go several years ago, after brady restructered, brady was pissed, not this time.  They'll ink Wes before FA!   cant wait until its official!

I think the Welker deal gets done very fast.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I think the Welker deal gets done very fast.

Hope so bro!  Then pats can concentrate on defense!  They may still go after wilfork and mankins too to restructure their deals too and save even more!  Then they can really go for it!   Hoping for an 07 offseason, well see....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

depending on how it's structured, it may be a stupid move. He's 31 now.  How much upside potential is there?  There's certainly a stronger probability of a decrease of performance over the next 2 years. I say, it's time to move on.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Wes Welker may be only three feet nine inches tall and 45 pounds, but he has proved to be the smartest guy on the field.  He has talked the coaches into letting him take a dive to the turf after he gets the first down.  When he's on the turf already, nobody can spear him without getting a 15 yard penalty, and when he's going down he tries his best to protect his head and body.  As a result he almost never takes a bad hit.  He's fearless across the middle because he has little to fear.  He doesn't fumble that much either. 

If he has the ten yards, what does he gain going for twelve yards?  Not hardly anything.  The new set of downs is 95% of what helps his team win the football game, and he has gotten that. 

His biggest injury in the past 5 years was his foot slipping on a bad piece of Astroturf.  He was untouched.

So, he got 118 catches this year and 122 catches last year.  Not exactly old man numbers yet.  Franchise him for a second year or pay him. 

PS the same goes for Tom Brady, who just re-upped.  The old man just set an NFL record for most first downs in a season.  He and Welker carried the defense on their backs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

As everyone here knows I have been calling for a WW deal to get done since last year.  It looks like that is now very possible.  But I agree, a 5 year deal for Welker is too long.  Even 3 is pushing it.  I would be very happy with a 2 year deal!!

My hope is this means they are going to sign someone like Mike Wallace (I said LIKE Wallace, not necessarily Wallace himself) to keep the pressure and the mileage down on Welker. That's something that could possibly work out. But signing him for a straight 5 years using him like they are now will not work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

I hope I am not wrong but it appears that TB really is really giving back $ ( 19M is going rate and now he is 9th best paid QB , excluding Flacco) not just restructuring where all he is due is just carried forward, thus cap hit in future.

hence Welker can be signed with  the savings and really all money ( bonus and salary)will be really be  accounted for 2-3 years  ..4-5 yrs will be monopoly money cap hits of minmal  consequence. Possibly TV $ then will increase cap anyhow. I am sure Pats $guys are aware of this.

also wasn't Herns deal just an extension of his rookie contract and won't kick in  untill 2014

The statement TB made to Kraft  " Im the best pick this fanchise has made" truly rings true.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

My hope is this means they are going to sign someone like Mike Wallace (I said LIKE Wallace, not necessarily Wallace himself) to keep the pressure and the mileage down on Welker. That's something that could possibly work out. But signing him for a straight 5 years using him like they are now will not work.

I'm thinking more like Boldin then Wallace. Wallace is best in broken plays when a QB is scrambling. That's not Brady. Boldin is a throw it in his direction and let him make the play, so if Brady is in trouble he doesn't need to be perfect just put it in the area