Welker A No-Show For First Day....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Welker A No-Show For First Day....

No surprise, but does it bode well for negotiations?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Welker A No-Show For First Day....

I don't get the sense that these negotiations are all that contentious.  I think there's a 95% chance Welker will agree to play under the tag if a long-term deal can't be worked out.  All this shows is that a long-term deal has not been reached yet.  At this point, it's not a big deal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Well, yeah because it means they are still negotiating. He would have to be a dummy to practice without a contract because if he gets injured he's completely screwed. He could come in and sign his tender but that means that negotiations are pretty much done because he has no more leverage. The Pats know the deal, if they want him at these things that bad they get the long term contract done, until then he's going to stay away. My gut feeling is that if they don't get the contract done than he signs the tag right before the season and plays his last year in NE so I hope it gets done. But I don't expect Welker to do anything other than what he's doing, which is the same thing all the other franchised players are also doing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wouldn't be shocked if this goes a few different ways...we trade him before or during the draft... Welker plays the year on the franchise number and misses a month of camp....the only thing I don't see is us giving him a contract that is for more than 8 million per season and longer than three years. If we didn't have two tight ends that could catch as many balls as they do in the middle of the field, then I could see it, but I think we have some serious leverage here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

NON story at this stage...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Probably a non-story unless someone comes knocking.  A handful of teams would love to trade for him and those are teams who have some cap space and need to spend in the next few years.

I'd give him some more chances to sign a deal you can handle, but if not, pull the trigger and see what you can get.

A 1st rd pick would be a no brainer.  It seems like every offseason there is one player thinking he's worth more somewhere else and the fact is, these players use their success here, alongside All Pro players, as a way to get their price up.

Every single player who has left here, to some degree, was not as good when they got paid.  That's fine, but Welker needs to realize he's not getting top dollar here.

Which do you hold higher, chance to win a SB or a little more money?

Deep down, I don't think the guy could drame of playing anywhere else and I think the team knows that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Welker A No-Show For First Day....:
    [QUOTE]Probably a non-story unless someone comes knocking.  A handful of teams would love to trade for him and those are teams who have some cap space and need to spend in the next few years. I'd give him some more chances to sign a deal you can handle, but if not, pull the trigger and see what you can get. A 1st rd pick would be a no brainer.  It seems like every offseason there is one player thinking he's worth more somewhere else and the fact is, these players use their success here, alongside All Pro players, as a way to get their price up. Every single player who has left here, to some degree, was not as good when they got paid.  That's fine, but Welker needs to realize he's not getting top dollar here. Which do you hold higher, chance to win a SB or a little more money? Deep down, I don't think the guy could drame of playing anywhere else and I think the team knows that.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]
    Define how much is a little more money. 

Don't take this as calling you out - as that, I am sure is your first reaction.  I'll agree with you that I don't think he could want to play anywhere else - BUT

Some here have suggested that he has been underpaid for his production over the past few years.  If so, congrats to the pats-stinks for him.  That said, if he is at "his last contract" age, then other things may creep into his thinking, for example, securing his future. 

9.4 mill is nothing to scoff at, but if he could get a 3 year deal worth 22 mill that guaranteed him 15, then his guaranteed pay just went up 60% and 5 mill+ is nothing to scoff at.  Of course, I am speculating.  I have no idea what he asking.  I am just curious what you think a little more money is for an NFL player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

If we could get a 1st for Welker I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat....we've got Edelman & Anthony G. to compete for that position already at a MUCH more cap friendly price....I would hate to see Wes leave but the compensation is just too good to pass up along with who we have to step in at his position...yup, I'd do the deal & never look back!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Welker reportedly turned down 2 years 16M all guaranteed during last season. I think he wants something on the order of 3 years 27M 18-20M guaranteed.
    My personal feeling is that 9M is more than the Pat's feel comfortable paying a 'slot' receiver, even the best in the business. They will do it this year, but ... I think this is the reason they brought in Gonzales and will keep Edelman. Welker will not sign the tender before the draft so there is no way the Pat's can trade him during the draft. The only chance for a trade in the next few months would be if the Pat's signed him long term and then traded him, or if Wes signed his tender before the July 16 deadline for franchise tags - after July 16 players can only sign the one year tender.
    The next two weeks are stretching/conditioning/team building - no coaching allowed, so him not showing is absolutely a non-factor. It is an important time for the new guys and the young guys to get together and bond/get on the Pat's program, but doesn't affect the long time vets. It is nice to have them in as they help set the tone, but missing one or two vets doesn't matter.
    The first real issue comes with the mini-camps where actual football activities occur. Again, because Wes has been around for ever and he and TB have good chemistry, Wes missing the mini-camps wouldn't be that bad, it would just be the first real 'statement'.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]Boston media needs anything to write, or report.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Yah think? LOL

Hence the nonsense story about Bobby V & Youk.....all a bunch of NON-story crap by the Boston hacks....

Can't really imagine the Pats letting the NFL's leading receiver for the last 2 years walk on outta here. Once again, the useless media trying to stir the pot....yawn.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]Probably a non-story unless someone comes knocking.  A handful of teams would love to trade for him and those are teams who have some cap space and need to spend in the next few years. I'd give him some more chances to sign a deal you can handle, but if not, pull the trigger and see what you can get. A 1st rd pick would be a no brainer.  It seems like every offseason there is one player thinking he's worth more somewhere else and the fact is, these players use their success here, alongside All Pro players, as a way to get their price up. Every single player who has left here, to some degree, was not as good when they got paid.  That's fine, but Welker needs to realize he's not getting top dollar here. Which do you hold higher, chance to win a SB or a little more money? Deep down, I don't think the guy could drame of playing anywhere else and I think the team knows that.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll find out who might actually be interested come draft day. Other than that, the likelihood of a  trade after draft day is unlikely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to "Re: Welker A No-Show For First Day....": [QUOTE]I don't get the sense that these negotiations are all that contentious.  I think there's a 95% chance Welker will agree to play under the tag if a long-term deal can't be worked out.  All this shows is that a long-term deal has not been reached yet.  At this point, it's not a big deal.  Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE] Wes will sign the tender. Whether he plays or not is a huge question. At 9.4 mil, and likely past his best years, the Pats will either get a great offer fro a team lusting Wes, or they squeeze one last year of what is left in his post prime tank. Either way, they get the best of the situation and they absolutlwy are correct to feel that way. Excellent strategy from the beginning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to "Re: Welker A No-Show For First Day....": [QUOTE]I don't get the sense that these negotiations are all that contentious.  I think there's a 95% chance Welker will agree to play under the tag if a long-term deal can't be worked out.  All this shows is that a long-term deal has not been reached yet.  At this point, it's not a big deal.  Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE] PATS strategy is perfect. Wes signs tender, and gives last of his gas to Pats, or is traded to a team lusting his numbers. BYE-BYE WES!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Welker knows he's not getting top dollar here. I truly expect he will sign a fair contract and be with the Patriots for a few more years. He's just playing the game.

Tom Brady is a no-show also. If Welker is not there when Brady shows up then, Houston, we have a problem.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Tom Brady is a no-show also. If Welker is not there when Brady shows up then, Houston, we have a problem.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And if Wes wants to play like that, then all I can say is go home and play with your Hooters toy, and think about the fact you could get traded and possibly miss out on another SB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Welker A No-Show For First Day....:
    [QUOTE]No surprise, but does it bode well for negotiations?
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

Who cares. The Pats shouldn't be even thinking about breaking the bank to sign their talented 31 year old slot receiver to a long term deal. They just need to be patient, and call Welker's bluff. I don't see Wes pulling a protracted, Vincent Jackson style hold-out, and walking away from earning $9.4mil. this season. If he does, he's being foolish. He'd be turning down more money in one season, than he's earned throughout his Patriots' career. Besides, what team is going to pay huge money next season, to a 32 year old slot receiver?