Welker “Glad that I will be a Patriot in 2012. and hopefully ’13, ’14, ’15, ’16, ’17, ’18.......’’

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

Welker "Glad that ...

Yes sir, that is the attitude.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Welker “Glad that I will be a Patriot in 2012. and hopefully ’13, ’14, ’15, ’16, ’17,...

So by Welker's statement do we assume that the contract issue may be amount of years he wants versus the amount the Patriots have offered?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Welker “Glad that I will be a Patriot in 2012. and hopefully ’13, ’14, ’15, ’16, ’17,...

In Response to Re: Welker “Glad that I will be a Patriot in 2012. and hopefully ’13, ’14, ’15, ’16, ’17, ’18.......’’:
    So by Welker's statement do we assume that the contract issue may be amount of years he wants versus the amount the Patriots have offered?
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting

Yes, that is my guess. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Welker “Glad that I will be a Patriot in 2012. and hopefully ’13, ’14, ’15, ’16, ’17, ’18.......’’:
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting

Sounds right. They offered him a 2 yr contract. My guess is they don't want to go more then 3yrs (because of age) and he wants something closer to 5-6yrs (because he doesn't want to deal with having to hit FA again)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

this kinda sounds like what lebron said not '14 not '15 not '16 not '17...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Maybe it is a 5 or 6 year deal...who knows.  Most of deal though (if the Pats do re-work this -which I think they will) will be Loaded in the first 3 years!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If Welker wants a long term deal then they will have to compramise to a lower salary and a lower signing bonus split between the years. Ideally I think the Pats were willing to give big numbers on something short term some maybe the comparmise is somewhere inbetween.

We know the Pats offered 2 yrs 16mil all guaranteed so the ceiling for them might be at 8mil per year. Welker sounds like he's looking for a 5-6 year deal and I'm guessing he wants the same /yr value as what the Pats offered so that's a 40-48mil contract.

If the Pats move to 4yrs you can expect their number to go down to something closer to 6-7mil/yr so maybe a good compromise for both sides is 5yrs with 20mil guaranteed back loaded so that 5th year is more of a fake year to help spread the cost of the signing bonus out. You structure it in a way that the 4th year has a slightly lower base then the other 3 yrs by then it gives the Pats less reason to cut Welker in that 4th year but it still gives them the option to release him if they want.

I'm thinking:

12' 2mil base 4mil bonus (6mil cap hit)
    13' 2mil base 4mil bonus (6mil cap hit)
    14' 3mil base 4mil bonus (7mil cap hit but cap expected to increase)
    15' 1mil base 4mil bonus (5mil cap hit)
    16' 8mil base 4mil bonus (12mil cap hit)

It's a 5yr 38mil contract with 20mil guaranteed but in reality it's more like a 4 year deal with an average cap hit of ~6mil a year and 4mil dead money in year 5

Sections
Shortcuts