Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag

Remember how he appeared to be the rare player who didn't complain about the franchise tag?  Well he sounds a little different now.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7850405/likely-skip-new-england-patriots-mandatory-workouts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag

In Response to Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag:
    [QUOTE]Remember how he appeared to be the rare player who didn't complain about the franchise tag?  Well he sounds a little different now. http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7850405/likely-skip-new-england-patriots-mandatory-workouts
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats[/QUOTE]

I think we'll have a better sense of how things are going to play out after the draft.  The article noted they hadn't been in negotations since they placed the tag on him as BB was focused on the draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

I hope he doesn't attend to any of the workouts, this way brady will focus more on developing a rapport with the other receivers not name wes or branch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Let him go through the motions of a hold-out. No way he turns his back on $9.6mil.. What Welker has to understand is that there's no way that the Pats are going to pay him the money he seeks. If he wants a long term deal with guaranteed money from the Pats, he's going to have to lower his contract demands. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag:
    [QUOTE]     Let him go through the motions of a hold-out. No way he turns his back on $9.6mil.. What Welker has to understand is that there's no way that the Pats are going to pay him the money he seeks. If he wants a long term deal with guaranteed money from the Pats, he's going to have to lower his contract demands. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    It's a bit of semantics, but I feel it's important; this wouldn't be a holdout.  A holdout is when a player under contract does not report (see: Darrelle Revis).  Until Welker signs the franchise tender, he is not under contract and has no obligation to report; in fact, I'm not sure that he CAN participate in team activities since he's not technically part of the team.

It's all leverage at this point.  I see nothing in there that shows Welker "changing his tune."  It's a business and Welker is looking out for his own best interests.  However, he still seems to have a very good attitude towards the team; I don't see even MILD annoyance in his comments.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag : It's a bit of semantics, but I feel it's important; this wouldn't be a holdout.  A holdout is when a player under contract does not report (see: Darrelle Revis).  Until Welker signs the franchise tender, he is not under contract and has no obligation to report; in fact, I'm not sure that he CAN participate in team activities since he's not technically part of the team. It's all leverage at this point.  I see nothing in there that shows Welker "changing his tune."  It's a business and Welker is looking out for his own best interests.  However, he still seems to have a very good attitude towards the team; I don't see even MILD annoyance in his comments.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

.....looking out for his own best interests. That line drives me insane about these athletes. I could easlily live off 9.6 mil from the one yr deal. Not too mention he has been paid over the last 5 for his services(how much I am not sure). But give me a break. Athletes using the excuse "I am looking out for me and my family garbage" is just that, garbage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Very good point, MattC05.  Welker is not holding out.

I'm glad to see Wes taking a stance, I hope he puts off signing the franchise tag for as long as possible.  Wes outperformed his last contract, he had a possible career ending injury and came back from it faster than anyone I have ever seen, the dude is a team player!  Wes has been forced into a tough situation here.  I would say a fair contract is a 3 year contract and don't skimp on paying the man!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag : .....looking out for his own best interests. That line drives me insane about these athletes. I could easlily live off 9.6 mil from the one yr deal. Not too mention he has been paid over the last 5 for his services(how much I am not sure). But give me a break. Athletes using the excuse "I am looking out for me and my family garbage" is just that, garbage.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]
    You seem to have a lot of anger towards people who know how to maximize their earnings.

Nowhere did I say that he couldn't live off 9.6 million.  But that doesn't mean he should accept it when fair market value for his services is higher.  Neither of us know the man or his plans.  Do you know that he doesn't want to set up a scholarship for underpriveleged youth?  Make a donation to his alma mater, either college or high school, to fund a new department or building?  Or maybe he wants to be very comfortable in the unlikely but not impossible event that he gets paralyzed for the remainder of his long life in the process of earning this money.  He has, after all, already suffered one injury that could have ended his career.

These, or a hundred other things, could be his "interests" and he has to look out for them because the Patriots will not.  Be clear that neither your life experience nor mine on this is important.  He is not choosing between my current salary, 9.6 million and a third higher number.  He is simply making decisions solely within the confines of his personal situation.  Whether YOU would be thrilled with the Patriots current offer is 100% immaterial to the situation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

It is quite funny but predicable how this last year has progressed on the Welker negotiations. Last year when talk first surfaced about Welkers negotiations he was quoted as saying " he was not out to break the bank". In the fall talks broke down and it was reported length of contract not money was the problem. Then we heard that a three year deal was put on the table. So how much longer can a 31 year old slot receiver expect for a contract. Then we hear he plans to honor the franchise tag. Now it looks like he plans to use what leverage he has by holding out as long as necessary to get his demands. Now I give Wes the ultimate in respect for his success with the Pats, but I also believe he has profited by the system and the QB. I do not see that type of success with any other system or QB. With BB's philosophy of not falling in love with any one player, I don't see him reaching much above his projected value for wes especially with the other options in the slot the team has. If he holds out too long the team may discover with the next man up theory he may not be worth what the previous offer was. Wes go to work!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

I for one think Welker will be traded for a 1st rd and possibly more to a team like the Rams or the Browns, the Browns have 2 firsts so I could see it happening.  Similar situation to how Branch was traded to Seattle.  I do not want to see him gone but I think he will be gone, especially given the # of receivers BB has signed this off season coupled with the TE's.
    If he does not give in he will find out what its like playing WR and getting blown up due to bad passes from a sub-par QB - just like Branch did, Branch was hurt every season after he left the Pats.  Welker is effective in this offense, he did next to nothing when he played in Miami, it is not a coincidence that BB stumbled on a game breaking talent - similar to Woody and a hand ful of other players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]Very good point, MattC05.  Welker is not holding out. I'm glad to see Wes taking a stance, I hope he puts off signing the franchise tag for as long as possible.  Wes outperformed his last contract, he had a possible career ending injury and came back from it faster than anyone I have ever seen, the dude is a team player!  Wes has been forced into a tough situation here.  I would say a fair contract is a 3 year contract and don't skimp on paying the man!  
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Last fall when talks stopped money was not the problem, length of contract was, and we now know that a three tear contract was left on the table.  ??? Do you think the Pats will sit around and wait for him, or look for a way to move on. The longer he holds out the greater the chance is that BB find the answer elsewhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag : You seem to have a lot of anger towards people who know how to maximize their earnings. Nowhere did I say that he couldn't live off 9.6 million.  But that doesn't mean he should accept it when fair market value for his services is higher.  Neither of us know the man or his plans.  Do you know that he doesn't want to set up a scholarship for underpriveleged youth?  Make a donation to his alma mater, either college or high school, to fund a new department or building?  Or maybe he wants to be very comfortable in the unlikely but not impossible event that he gets paralyzed for the remainder of his long life in the process of earning this money.  He has, after all, already suffered one injury that could have ended his career. These, or a hundred other things, could be his "interests" and he has to look out for them because the Patriots will not.  Be clear that neither your life experience nor mine on this is important.  He is not choosing between my current salary, 9.6 million and a third higher number.  He is simply making decisions solely within the confines of his personal situation.  Whether YOU would be thrilled with the Patriots current offer is 100% immaterial to the situation.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

Far from anger Matt. Just tired of seeing the same quotes from all athletes. They complain about getting PAID. They get paid plenty for just playing a sport don't you think? Greed is what drives them not all the junk you just wrote. 

Do you think my father had the option when he was a teacher to worry about taking care of his life(or his family's life) in the event he was to get shot, or knifed, or killed while teaching? It could have easily happened. No, that is a crazy argument Matt. You ramble on about what he might do with the money.

Maximing his earnings. Great. Do you have a chance to maximize your earnings to the tune of 9.6mil in your current line of work Mart? Most likely not. Most people don't.

So why don't athletes just admit they want more money for playing. Don't use your family, or chances of getting injured or other things as excuses. Just speaking how I see it Matt. Anger, no, I rarely get angered. Life is too short to live that way. Enjoy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

I was beyond disappointed when I saw him on Mike & Mike in the morning and he went the "i have to feed my family route" when discussing why he wants a long term contract.  He said he was about to get married and start a family..... gee Wes you can't get married and start a family playing for 1 year on 9.6 million???

He turns out to be all about the money as well.  Should have know as much.  I wouldn't mind seeing them trade him if they can get something decent for him and draft a good receiver. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Tell you guys what. You all spend half of your life working as hard as most players do in the NFL( not to mention the time put in just to get into the NFL) and then tell me you dont want to get paid when the chance comes along. Not only do players want to get paid to take care of family and stuff but they also want to get paid for all thier Blood, sweat, and tears that they have put into the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag : Far from anger Matt. Just tired of seeing the same quotes from all athletes. They complain about getting PAID. They get paid plenty for just playing a sport don't you think? Greed is what drives them not all the junk you just wrote.  Do you think my father had the option when he was a teacher to worry about taking care of his life(or his family's life) in the event he was to get shot, or knifed, or killed while teaching? It could have easily happened. No, that is a crazy argument Matt. You ramble on about what he might do with the money. Maximing his earnings. Great. Do you have a chance to maximize your earnings to the tune of 9.6mil in your current line of work Mart? Most likely not. Most people don't. So why don't athletes just admit they want more money for playing. Don't use your family, or chances of getting injured or other things as excuses. Just speaking how I see it Matt. Anger, no, I rarely get angered. Life is too short to live that way. Enjoy
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately only a very small portion of those who would love to get to do what Welker does get that opportunity. Whether its due to lack of size, speed, skill, lack of coaching, lack of parenting, lack of commitment, or lack of brains, most people just dont get the chance. No matter what profession you are in, with the exceptions of public service (i.e. teachers, and whether they are fairly compensated is another arguement, my dad taught and my sister does now) or unions where most of the workers are paid a standardized wage, those that perform at the highest levels make the most, and deservedly so. True for doctors, lawyers, CEO's, writers, actors, computer programmers and, yes, football players. If there are only 1700 or so NFL player jobs available, based upon the agreed upon split of revenue, there is a boat load of money that will be paid to those players. Welker is just saying he wants his fair share of that. Can't disagree with him, he has busted his rear end to get to this point in his career. I'd want every penny I could get as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE]I for one think Welker will be traded for a 1st rd and possibly more to a team like the Rams or the Browns, the Browns have 2 firsts so I could see it happening.  Similar situation to how Branch was traded to Seattle.  I do not want to see him gone but I think he will be gone, especially given the # of receivers BB has signed this off season coupled with the TE's. If he does not give in he will find out what its like playing WR and getting blown up due to bad passes from a sub-par QB - just like Branch did, Branch was hurt every season after he left the Pats.  Welker is effective in this offense, he did next to nothing when he played in Miami, it is not a coincidence that BB stumbled on a game breaking talent - similar to Woody and a hand ful of other players.
    Posted by Wildwillis[/QUOTE]

WW cannot be traded as he has not yet signed the tender.  When Branch got traded he was not a free agent but a holdout.  PLease understand the rules before getting near your mother's computer

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag : WW cannot be traded as he has not yet signed the tender.  When Branch got traded he was not a free agent but a holdout.  PLease understand the rules before getting near your mother's computer
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

he will sign the contract, he is a good receiver, so were david givens, and deion branch when they were in new england before they left and did nothing. no other team is going to give welker more than the pats, and the pats know this, without brady welkers numbers wouldnt be so good, i love wes welker, want him to stay, but in this situation the pats have the upper hand. so yes he could get traded when he signs, but he is not signing before this years draft, so anybody expecting extra picks in this years draft for wes welker are dillusional. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]I was beyond disappointed when I saw him on Mike & Mike in the morning and he went the "i have to feed my family route" when discussing why he wants a long term contract.  He said he was about to get married and start a family..... gee Wes you can't get married and start a family playing for 1 year on 9.6 million??? He turns out to be all about the money as well.  Should have know as much.  I wouldn't mind seeing them trade him if they can get something decent for him and draft a good receiver. 
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

right on the money patsfan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag : Unfortunately only a very small portion of those who would love to get to do what Welker does get that opportunity. Whether its due to lack of size, speed, skill, lack of coaching, lack of parenting, lack of commitment, or lack of brains, most people just dont get the chance. No matter what profession you are in, with the exceptions of public service (i.e. teachers, and whether they are fairly compensated is another arguement, my dad taught and my sister does now) or unions where most of the workers are paid a standardized wage, those that perform at the highest levels make the most, and deservedly so. True for doctors, lawyers, CEO's, writers, actors, computer programmers and, yes, football players. If there are only 1700 or so NFL player jobs available, based upon the agreed upon split of revenue, there is a boat load of money that will be paid to those players. Welker is just saying he wants his fair share of that. Can't disagree with him, he has busted his rear end to get to this point in his career. I'd want every penny I could get as well.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

I only put forth the teacher argument because Matt put out a bunch of mumbo jumbo about what if's. What if Welker wants to do this or that with his money. Garbage. Athletes get paid plenty, if not overpaid for their body of work. And amount of available job in their profession or years to perform said body of work has no play. It will always be about the money. Greed. I am just saying, I would have no problem taking care of my family of 4 on his one yr. offered salary of 9.6 mil. Athletes need to stop pulling out 'the providing for my family card'. Its garbage. It is simply how I feel. This is an opinion board right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag : you sound silly as hell with this nonsense....this is the kind of crap the media uses at times-or more often mgmt thru the media-to turn "working" folks-somewhat ignorant and dissatisfied with their own lot- against athletes...your points/arguments have absolutely nothing to do with the reality/idea of free market systems, acknowledgement of the rarity of pro athletes skills and the short length of their earning window sorry but if you had the skills and everything else to be a pro athlete and knew the reality inside and out I think your rather naive  viewpoint would be completely changed
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

My silly points were in reference to Matt about Welker's what if's. Not many jobs have this huge flexibility to get paid extreme amounts of money like pro athletes do jints every so many years. And my view(far from naive jint) would not change if I were a pro athlete. I am not in life for greed. Never was and never will be. I enjoy everyday I get to spend with my wife and kids. They are my wealth. I don't use them as an excuse to get paid more, like all athletes do these days. The pull out the provide for my family card to get more money is garbage. It is not about providing for their family. It is most likely about having more homes, more cars, fancy toys, gambling and maybe more kids with other women, and on and on. Perhaps you are the one who is naive if you believe otherwise

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

My what ifs were in direct response to your what if regarding Welker seeking more money because he wants to feed his family.  He said no such thing, and neither did I.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag : Last fall when talks stopped money was not the problem, length of contract was, and we now know that a three tear contract was left on the table.  ??? Do you think the Pats will sit around and wait for him, or look for a way to move on. The longer he holds out the greater the chance is that BB find the answer elsewhere.
    Posted by part-timer[/QUOTE]
    I don't think the Pats will sit around and wait, I don't think Wes will hold them hostage here, he could have pulled a Revis last season but he was a man and honored his contract, and out performed his contract.

I think it's pretty simple.... if Wes is wanting 4 and the Pats only want 3 then I don't think it is a bad thing to lock Wes up for 4 years.  Maybe have the contract loaded in the first 3 years.  You gotta remember Wes' career really started with the Patriots, he doesn't have a lot of mileage on him at this point of his career.  He puts it all out on the field for the team, for the love of the game.  Lock him up for 4 years and lets get focused on other things.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Changes His Tune About the Franchise Tag : My silly points were in reference to Matt about Welker's what if's. Not many jobs have this huge flexibility to get paid extreme amounts of money like pro athletes do jints every so many years. And my view(far from naive jint) would not change if I were a pro athlete. I am not in life for greed. Never was and never will be. I enjoy everyday I get to spend with my wife and kids. They are my wealth. I don't use them as an excuse to get paid more, like all athletes do these days. The pull out the provide for my family card to get more money is garbage. It is not about providing for their family. It is most likely about having more homes, more cars, fancy toys, gambling and maybe more kids with other women, and on and on. Perhaps you are the one who is naive if you believe otherwise Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE] But I'm guessing that you don't do your job for half of what other people do your job for. No matter the job, if I make hamburgers for 10 bucks an hour and the guy next to me does the same for 20 bucks an hour I want to be paid the same for doing the same. Either way I won't starve but fair is fair. You could also use the money for your kids college, for charity, whatever. In most parts of the world they probably look at what we think of as meager jobs as wealthy. People in other countries probably hear teachers arguing over 30,000 or 40,0000 dollars a year when they make a few hundred and it looks the same to them as how we look at millionaires. Things like electricity, cars and Internet probably look like Lamborghinis, mansions and private airplanes to them. Point is, it's relative. Guarantee you 2 things. 1- you want to get paid fairly among your peers. 2. You don't need half the junk you probably own, it's a lot of luxuries not necessary for survival. So I wouldn't lecture people on which luxuries a "good person" is allowed unless you don't have any. And I already know you have Internet.