Welker comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Welker comments

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

"If I have to catch 112 passes this year it probably means Ocho Cinco is on the team"...Wes Welker.

That's what it sounds like except when Ocho wasn't here, whether it was Moss or Branch back in 2010, or Lloyd last year, he still caught the same number of balls with his binky constantly staring him down from the shotgun.

So.... Nice try, Hurlie.  Just ain't adding up anymore, is it, Hurl? LOL

You best get to that excuse in the victim/excuse Rolodex you have for Brady and Welker.

Everywhere you turn, it's not going to add up. At some point it simply comes down to Brady's decisions, how he runs the offense and his buddy Welkie, wide open and then dropping balls he probably should have to help the team.

The drop ratios between Amendola and Welker is a big reason why BB gave Amendola 6 mill and not Welkie.

I'm thinking maybe basketball? You could try your hand over there (the Celtics board). You know, seeing how you get laughed off the boards around here and the Bruin's board. It seems simple enough...guy dribbles up the court...he pulls up for a 20 foot jumper. You can handle that, right? Or what about mini golf? They got a board for that? Doesn't sound too challenging...you try and get the little ball past the windmill. You can do it! Start by taking a nap and maybe getting a little vitamin D (I know your mom deprived you of the milk at birth).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

No reason why Welker would have catch 112 passes in Denver.  With Decker and Thomas, there shouldn't be any reason Welker needs to catch that many passes for the team to win.  I agree, if Welker has to catch that many passes with that WR talent they have then there is a problem.  I'm sure Welker will still get 80 catches and 1000 yards.  Denver is going to be very tough on offense this season.  Not looking forward to having to face them either in the regular season or the playoffs.

Welker Gets It! period, and what you said above tfb12

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Maybe Welker is afraid that Amendola will have Welker-like numbers while his numbers fall off.  Then the people who said Brady is the reason Welker was so much better in NE than Miami will appear to be right.  He's just making his excuses ahead of time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Wes Welker is not a whiner. Surprised at all the Wes bashing here. His comments were pretty benign. He's working with a different QB and offense. He probably won't have to catch 112 passes wth Denver. Truth.

I have nothing but respect for the man.  He left everything on the field for the Pats.  One of the most talented and durable slot receivers in the NFL. Period.

And yeah it will be fascinating to see how he and PM work together.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

Maybe Welker is afraid that Amendola will have Welker-like numbers while his numbers fall off.  Then the people who said Brady is the reason Welker was so much better in NE than Miami will appear to be right.  He's just making his excuses ahead of time.

I really don't think so.  I think Wes expects his numbers to fall off, look at the weapons on that Denver offense.  Welker has made his mark in the game, the only thing he probably feels like he needs to prove this season is that he can still play at a high level and be a durable player.  While I have no doubt that he will show that again this season, with the other stud receivers there nobody in their right mind should expect Welker to put up the numbers he did in NE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

I really don't think so.  I think Wes expects his numbers to fall off, look at the weapons on that Denver offense.  Welker has made his mark in the game, the only thing he probably feels like he needs to prove this season is that he can still play at a high level and be a durable player.  While I have no doubt that he will show that again this season, with the other stud receivers there nobody in their right mind should expect Welker to put up the numbers he did in NE.

Denver's got a very talented Demetrius Thomas, the guys a beast and better than any of our recievers from last year but I wouldnt say they are mired loaded with weapons than the Patriots. Their tight ends are no where close to what Gronk and Hern bring and Ridleys as good as anyone they have in the backfield. Welker should be able to put up big numbers, Manning has had some slot receivers while with the colts  have some big years. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

lame...the amount of ingratitude for welker's 6 years here combined with the willful memory loss and downright nasty comments sure show some (most?) pats fans in their true light

also, while it is a possiblilty, I wouldn't bet the house on Danny IR putting up Welker's numbers

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

lame...the amount of ingratitude for welker's 6 years here combined with the willful memory loss and downright nasty comments sure show some (most?) pats fans in their true light

also, while it is a possiblilty, I wouldn't bet the house on Danny IR putting up Welker's numbers

Well, it's a sore spot man. Wes was an amazing contributor here in the regular season, and had some decent post-season success ... but he never made a big play in the playoffs like Branch or Brown did, and will be remembered in part for his two big drops (one obivously worse than the other). 

That said, I don't think Amendola will get those digits, but NE didn't get him to shoulder a 110-120 catch load. I think they want to spread the field more both horizontally and vertically. DA will probably split wide more often than Wes had, and NE will (try to) back that with Boyce or Dobson extending the field up top. 

Wes' catches will be distributed evenly amongst a group of players ... Danny, Hern, Boyce/Edelman/Slot here, and possibly Vereen. 

I don't think anyone of the coaches has been happy having the offense cluster everyone between the hashes from 15 yards in for the last three seasons. It makes the passing game harder, and doesn't do any favors for the running game either.

But realistically, no WR on the outside ever provided a really enticing option or the talent to really merit spreading it out more. 

I really wish the dude the best ... but I'd be lying if I said the drops didn't still sting bad. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Well, it's a sore spot man. Wes was an amazing contributor here in the regular season, and had some decent post-season success ... but he never made a big play in the playoffs like Branch or Brown did, and will be remembered in part for his two big drops (one obivously worse than the other). 

That said, I don't think Amendola will get those digits, but NE didn't get him to shoulder a 110-120 catch load. I think they want to spread the field more both horizontally and vertically. DA will probably split wide more often than Wes had, and NE will (try to) back that with Boyce or Dobson extending the field up top. 

Wes' catches will be distributed evenly amongst a group of players ... Danny, Hern, Boyce/Edelman/Slot here, and possibly Vereen. 

I don't think anyone of the coaches has been happy having the offense cluster everyone between the hashes from 15 yards in for the last three seasons. It makes the passing game harder, and doesn't do any favors for the running game either.

But realistically, no WR on the outside ever provided a really enticing option or the talent to really merit spreading it out more. 

I really wish the dude the best ... but I'd be lying if I said the drops didn't still sting bad. 

ur reasonable at least...i never could stand an ingrate or a spoiled brat you know?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I agree about Welker's talent.  I also expect his numbers to fall off.   I just think that it may bother him that some people will think that his production was all about Brady.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I actually hated those couple of drops, but I don't resent Welker's because of them.  Just bad timeing by a dependable player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

No reason why Welker would have catch 112 passes in Denver.  With Decker and Thomas, there shouldn't be any reason Welker needs to catch that many passes for the team to win.  I agree, if Welker has to catch that many passes with that WR talent they have then there is a problem.  I'm sure Welker will still get 80 catches and 1000 yards.  Denver is going to be very tough on offense this season.  Not looking forward to having to face them either in the regular season or the playoffs.

Wes Welker is already playing reverse psychology so that it appears he is OK with not being THE MAN for PM. Good thing too, as the more you rely on WW, the worse your chances of making the big play in the big game when yu absolutely have got to have it............Now then Wesley, go practice for the next big miss.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Wes Welker is already playing reverse psychology so that it appears he is OK with not being THE MAN for PM. Good thing too, as the more you rely on WW, the worse your chances of making the big play in the big game when yu absolutely have got to have it............Now then Wesley, go practice for the next big miss.

now here is an example of the ingrate/spoiled type  ^^^^

if Danny IR plays 10 games and has 50 catches....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I don't think this at all. 

You don't think Welker was the most dependable player for the team while others were on the bench hurt or not getting open?  His production for the Pats deserves more credit then the piling on he is getting by some Pats fan.  No doubt he will be productive and and help the Broncos.  Man, I can't wait for the Pats vs Bronco's game this season, it's going to be wild!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

As long as two of those games are played in January and one in February, I'll be happy with it. Let him take all of October and November off if he wants to. Pfffft

And Danny will hold onto the ball too unlike you-know-who, the man you understandably still feel a sentmental attachment toward

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

As long as two of those games are played in January and one in February, I'll be happy with it. Let him take October and November off. Pfffft

And Danny will hold onto the ball too unlike you-know-who, the man you understandably still feel a sentmental attachment toward

actually i always loved watching welker play looong before SB46...same reason i loved watching the warner rams and the show on turf-welker would have been tailor-made for that quick strike offense too...i hated giants playing against him because he is a slippery quick little gnat and i feared him breaking one off more than any other pats receiver except maybe moss going long in SB42...so it is not any "sentimental" attachement and has nothing to do with the sb...i would have loved to have him on the giants

i can have players i watch and/or admire on other teams can't I? though I am a hardcore Jints fan I have always liked watching Moss, Welker, Reggie White...I even enjoy watching Brady long as I ain't playing him....I am  no fan of these guys teams but I am a football fan

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

As long as two of those games are in January and one in February, I'll be happy with it. Let him take October and November off. Pfffft

Danny will hold onto the ball too unlike you-know-who, the man you understandably have a  sentmental attachment for

This is what I don't get.  How can people really say Amendola will hang onto the ball?

Amendola season receptions are 65 last season, 5 the previous season, 85 before that and rookie season 43.  Welker averages 115 receptions a season for the past 6 season.  Amendola has not had the work rate Welker has had.    To think Amendola won't have many drops with the targets Welker got is nuts.  As many as Welker?  Maybe, maybe not, who knows.  We should probably wait to see before making comments like that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

actually i always loved watching welker play looong before SB46...same reason i loved watching the warner rams and the show on turf-welker would have been tailor-made for that quick strike offense too...i hated giants playing against him because he is a slippery quick little gnat and i feared him breaking one off more than any other pats receiver except maybe moss going long in SB42...so it is not any "sentimental" attachement and has nothing to do with the sb...i would have loved to have him on the giants

i can have players i watch and/or admire on other teams can't I? though I am a hardcore Jints fan I have always liked watching Moss, Welker, Reggie White...I even enjoy watching Brady long as I ain't playing him....I am  no fan of these guys teams but I am a football fan

Just ribbing you about "sentimental attachment", but you seem to go out of your way to praise Welker and to knock Pats fans who blame him for the SB46 loss. It was only one play, but it was a gamechanger, and it still stings

Fine to admire players from other teams, just as it's okay for hometown fans to bash one of their own...even someone as great as Welker. We arent being ingrates or acting spoiled. It's just the nature of being a sportsfan

He had two significant drops and he signed on with Gomer Manning

It's unreasonable for you to expect Pats fans to have only nice things to say about him on his way out of town

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

This is what I don't get.  How can people really say Amendola will hang onto the ball?

Amendola season receptions are 65 last season, 5 the previous season, 85 before that and rookie season 43.  Welker averages 115 receptions a season for the past 6 season.  Amendola has not had the work rate Welker has had.    To think Amendola won't have many drops with the targets Welker got is nuts.  As many as Welker?  Maybe, maybe not, who knows.  We should probably wait to see before making comments like that.

I added that bit about Amendola holding onto the ball in my previous post as a throw away line. Didnt really mean for it to be taken seriously. It was just a way for me to throw a little dig at Jints and his "sentimental attachment"

Agree with you though about having a wait and see attitude. No one knows how Amendola is going to pan out. I am reasonably optimistic however. If he stays healthy, I think he is going to be pretty special

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Just ribbing you about "sentimental attachment", but you seem to go out of your way to praise Welker and to knock Pats fans who blame him for the SB46 loss. It was only one play, but it was a gamechanger, and it still stings

Fine to admire players from other teams, just as it's okay for hometown fans to bash one of their own...even someone as great as Welker. We arent being ingrates or acting spoiled. It's just the nature of being a sportsfan

He had two significant drops and he signed on with Gomer Manning

It's unreasonable for you to expect Pats fans to have only nice things to say about him on his way out of town

ok fair enough!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I added that bit about Amendola holding onto the ball in my previous post as a throw away line. Didnt really mean for it to be taken seriously. It was just a way for me to throw a little dig at Jints and his "sentimental attachment"

Agree with you though about having a wait and see attitude. No one knows how Amendola is going to pan out. I am reasonably optimistic however. If he stays healthy, I think he is going to be pretty special

I hope he stays healthy and does very well too, that's the goal.  We need players who can be productive and help get this team to the top.  Even though I didn't agree with getting rid of the most productive player on the offense, other then TFB of course,  for a player that has only finished 10 games over the last 2 years.  Nothing can be done about that now, so it's hope for the best and hope Amendola does very well as a Patriot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

NOBODY, not even Wes Welker cares about all the catches he made as a Patriot. What Wes will remember most are the two balls that he dropped in the most critical situations of his Patriots run. How many catches did David Tyree have that year? Did it matter? NO! What about Dwight Clark? What many of you don't get is that it doesn't matter to the horse that he got to the water. What matters to the horse is that the he got to drink. As long as Danny A. catches those type of balls thrown to him in similar situations, I don't give a damn if he catches 100 others. And, If Danny A. is the type of player the Patriots are hoping for, he will feel the same way. In the end, Welker's hundred a year catches didn't have nearly the impact that two balls he dropped did. That will be his legacy as a Patriot.....Winners win, losers lose........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

NOBODY, not even Wes Welker cares about all the catches he made as a Patriot. What Wes will remember most are the two balls that he dropped in the most critical situations of his Patriots run. How many catches did David Tyree have that year? Did it matter? NO! What about Dwight Clark? Listen to Dan Marino talk about his career without a championship! What many of you don't get is that it doesn't matter to the horse that he got to the water. What matters to the horse is that the he got to drink. As long as Danny A. catches those type of balls thrown to him in similar situations, I don't give a damn if he catches 100 others. And, If Danny A. is the type of player the Patriots are hoping for, he will feel the same way. In the end, Welker's hundred a year catches didn't have nearly the impact that two balls he dropped did. That will be his legacy as a Patriot.....Winners win, losers lose........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

I hope he stays healthy and does very well too, that's the goal.  We need players who can be productive and help get this team to the top.  Even though I didn't agree with getting rid of the most productive player on the offense, other then TFB of course,  for a player that has only finished 10 games over the last 2 years.  Nothing can be done about that now, so it's hope for the best and hope Amendola does very well as a Patriot.

I have a wait and see attitude on his health as well

From what I understand, Amendola's two injuries were fluky in nature and not the result of a style of play that makes him more prone to getting hurt. So I'm reasonably hopeful he makes it through the season in one piece

Gonna be hard to replace Welker's production, but Amendola doesnt have to be targeted 175-200 x to be effective

Minus Welker, Brady will just have to spread it around a little more