Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cantab-in-Nashville. Show Cantab-in-Nashville's posts

Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension

There's been lots of discussions in the opening weeks of the season as to whether Welker should be given a new contract and for how much and how long and I hope it's a a topic that needs to be put to rest ASAP by ownership. He's obviously fully recovered from the knee injury and he's cured himself of the oopsies that plagued him last season. You have all these primadonna big name (money) players complaining about how they've outplayed the value of their contracts and here you have the humble Welker who's outplayed his contract from the moment he stopped on the field in a Pats uniform, never displaying anything but a dedication to this team and his teammates. His name deserves to be associated with likes of Brady, Bruschi, Brown and Faulk, forever synonymous with New England Patriot.

Pay the man BB! You don't want him playing against Pats with the porous secondary that's plagued the team since Ty Law left.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension

Totally. Where would this offense be without him? Brady is the MVP ... Welker is the Next Most Valuable Player. 

That catch he made at the goal line last week was nothing short of amazing. They ran it for a TD after ... but that was Welker's touchdown. 

They should do everything they can to get this guy re-signed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Same old story. He is 31 next season. The Pats might shy away from a big money deal at that age. They would be looking at a 34-35 year old receiver by the end of that contract. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension:
    Same old story. He is 31 next season. The Pats might shy away from a big money deal at that age. They would be looking at a 34-35 year old receiver by the end of that contract. 
    Posted by BabeParilli

Troll, who cares how old Wes is at the end of the contract? Contract aren't guaranteed in the NFL! You always have something negative to say. I agree with the original poster; pay the man and keep him here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension:
    There's been lots of discussions in the opening weeks of the season as to whether Welker should be given a new contract and for how much and how long and I hope it's a a topic that needs to be put to rest ASAP by ownership. He's obviously fully recovered from the knee injury and he's cured himself of the oopsies that plagued him last season. You have all these primadonna big name (money) players complaining about how they've outplayed the value of their contracts and here you have the humble Welker who's outplayed his contract from the moment he stopped on the field in a Pats uniform, never displaying anything but a dedication to this team and his teammates. His name deserves to be associated with likes of Brady, Bruschi, Brown and Faulk, forever synonymous with New England Patriot. Pay the man BB! You don't want him playing against Pats with the porous secondary that's plagued the team since Ty Law left.
    Posted by Cantab-in-Nashville

CANTAB... Spot on. They should have given Wes the money after he comopsed his ODE to Toes Ryan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

After last season I wondered if they'd put up big bucks for Wes.  And was a bit uncertain as to if they should.  But after seeing Edelman NOT make further progress in filling his shoes (well, besides kick returning duties), and seeing Wes raise his game to near receiver perfection....  Now, after reading the above point and realizing it would be worth at least 1 mill a year just to keep him away from other teams . . .PAY THE MAN!  Besides which, watching the Mighty Mite do his stuff is just plain good fun.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Wes Welker needs to retire as a Patriot.  Make it happen Mr. Kraft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension : Troll, who cares how old Wes is at the end of the contract? Contract aren't guaranteed in the NFL! You always have something negative to say. I agree with the original poster; pay the man and keep him here.
    Posted by Quagmire3

Typical oblivious fan. I talk football about how the team might look at the situation considering the cap and you go into your pathetic little drama queen troll attack. You're a pitiful and clueless excuse for a Pats fan. Of course I want to keep Welker.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

3YRS 27-30 MIL seems reasonable

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension : Typical oblivious fan. I talk football about how the team might look at the situation considering the cap and you go into your pathetic little drama queen troll attack. You're a pitiful and clueless excuse for a Pats fan. Of course I want to keep Welker.
    Posted by BabeParilli

why would you be offended when someone tells you something about yourself that is true...based on your own written words

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension : why would you be offended when someone tells you something about yourself that is true...based on your own written words
    Posted by jcour382

If something he said was true you might have a point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I agree both sides probably want to get a deal done. Welker was good in Miami, but the Pats made him what he is today.  He can look no further than Deion Branch to see that the gra$$ isn't always greener.  You'd have to think he's thinking about his legacy as a Patriot at this point too.  If he has 3-4 more good years in a Pats uni, he gets into the Pats' HOF. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I agree both sides probably want to get a deal done. Welker was good in Miami, but the Pats made him what he is today.  He can look no further than Deion Branch to see that the gra$$ isn't always greener.  You'd have to think he's thinking about his legacy as a Patriot at this point too.  If he has 3-4 more good years in a Pats uni, he gets into the Pats' HOF. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

Wes also knows playing with Brady is desirable in the extreme. I see a deal getting done if Wes is willing to give a modest discount.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Dear Grampa Babe, He's correct and it was true. Everything is negotiable and the NFL doesn't do guaranteed deals. You do the same thing in the draft/personnel discussions. This ain't MLB without a cap, Einstein. The fact is, every time a player wants to be here, Kraft gets it done. Every time. When the player takes the highest bid, acts obnoxious, see ya. The only one who didn't leave was Mankins, but the tag allowed us to use leverage. Learn about contexts, facts, rules and reality, Babe, and you'll be a lot better off. Or, just leave here as a troll and find your NY Giants board already. Parcells is a failed GM and BB isn't. BB has built 3 differrent SB teams. Parcells? ZERO.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Moss wanted to be here. Did Kraft get that done? Vinatieri wanted to be here, etc. etc.

If I had a buck for every time you were wrong I could retire to my own island.

Every single one of your posts are dripping with BS.

You brainless cheerleader fans are tiresome. You're the troll.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

3YRS 27-30 MIL seems reasonable
    Posted by jcour382

I bet he gets around 4 for 25.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Fitz got 15 per year 50 mil guaranteed Holmes got 10 per year 24 mil guaranteed Unless Wes' agent is dumb and hates money and his client he will get a contract between the two IMO. If I was Wes I would say I'm not taking less than Holmes when I'm twice as good. My guess would be 4 years 45 mil, 30 guaranteed or around there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Fitz got 15 per year 50 mil guaranteed Holmes got 10 per year 24 mil guaranteed Unless Wes' agent is dumb and hates money and his client he will get a contract between the two IMO. If I was Wes I would say I'm not taking less than Holmes when I'm twice as good. My guess would be 4 years 45 mil, 30 guaranteed or around there.
    Posted by shenanigan

LOL zero chance. Welkers value to the Pats is far higher than any other team and no other team will pay Welker 10 mil per. Absolutely none. 3/4 of league a slot reciever is a bit player piece of the puzzle. They are not going outbid themselves.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension : Moss wasn't in their plans heading into a lockout otherwise he would have been OFFERED a deal. All of the players I was talking about were OFFERED deals, Corky.   You've lost again. I am not wrong at all. I was one of a few who saw the writing on the wall with the outdated one dimensional Moss/Welker base offense lose its way in 2009, wanted TEs for the 2010 FA period or draft, and I have been beating the "balanced offense" drum since 2009. I am talking about FAs or players who get bids from other teams and leave for the money. Moss didn't leave for the money. He blew it by putting himself first and leveraging his role on the team, hoping NE would blink. We have Branch (and Ocho for that matter) and Stevan Ridley here simply by trading Moss. You have this nasty habit of twising facts, as all trolls do, when exposed. Vinatieri didn't want to be here. He was ticked off they didn't give him a deal and wanted to see what the market would give him, and when NE matched, he chose Indy.  Totally different circumstance there. NE will never overpay.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Fact is Moss was offered a contract this year according to reports wonderboy. You lose.

Vinatieri did not even entertain a match by the Pats. You lose again.

"When the Colts called, I told my agent, `Let's not screw around,' " said Vinatieri, in his first extensive comments regarding his departure from New England. "I told him, 'If Indy is interested, let's get this done.'" ... Vinatieri said he has no regrets about not giving the Patriots a chance to counter the offer."

You're the one who twists facts trollboy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension : I bet he gets around 4 for 25.
    Posted by tompenny

makes more sense to spread money with a good SB

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Wes may get offered more money by another team but:

- He's loyal and I'm pretty sure he'll want to stay with the one team that believed in him and traded a second-round pick for him.

- He knows that Brady is a huge part of the reason he's putting up such good numbers. One difference between good QBs and great QBs is where they put the ball, allowing receivers to run after and avoid the big hit. Brady has done a lot to protect Wes by just being good.

Sections
Shortcuts