Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension

In Response to Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension:
    [QUOTE]Wes may get offered more money by another team but: - He's loyal and I'm pretty sure he'll want to stay with the one team that believed in him and traded a second-round pick for him. - He knows that Brady is a huge part of the reason he's putting up such good numbers. One difference between good QBs and great QBs is where they put the ball, allowing receivers to run after and avoid the big hit. Brady has done a lot to protect Wes by just being good.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

AP, agreed.  Brady is his meal ticket.  Not saying he couldn't be good somewhere else, but he fits to a T exactly what this team needs and what his skillset provides.  Randy Moss took a short term, 9 mil per year deal to stay here.  I think they can find a way to get Welker the money if they need/want to.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Money talks, you people are nuts if you think he'll play here for 6.25 mil a year.  His value at this point is enormous, he's a quarterbacks best friend, the 4 year 45 mil contract shenanigan mentioned sounds more in the ballpark.  Wes is a true team player, but when it comes to contracts its not the New England Welkers negotiating.  He'll ask for, and recieve, alot of money be it from NE or some other franchise.  And he deserves every penny imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension : LOL zero chance. Welkers value to the Pats is far higher than any other team and no other team will pay Welker 10 mil per. Absolutely none. 3/4 of league a slot reciever is a bit player piece of the puzzle. They are not going outbid themselves.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Slot receiver is just words people throw around nowadays. Wes plays very little in the slot. In any receiver set he's the number one receiver. This idea that a slot receiver is the third receiver on the depth chart and therefore the third best receiver on the team has been bunk for years. Many teams line up their best receivers in the slot- Boldin, Bess, etc. When the pats are in the 2 TE set which is what they are based on when Hernandez is healthy he is just a wideout. And in that role he is leading the NFL in yards and receptions. He may not get the respect of a Calvin Johnson type but but he will get more than some mid grade receiver for sure and I think he will get plenty of top 10 percent contract offers. This idea that players take discounts is garbage too. Players take cap friendly deals but I've never seen a player take a discount. Not Brady or Holmes or Manning or anyone else people claim.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Wes is NOT just a slot receiver anymore.  Look at the numbers.  The Patriots are in two receiver sets most of the time these days, and Wes moves around.  Sometimes he's in the slot, and quite often he's on the outside.  He seems faster than before, and is running more downfield routes, as evidenced by his 15.4 yards per reception.  

Why can't a great receiver just be a great receiver?  Yes there are different playing styles and different strengths but right now Wes is literally doing it all.  If he theoretically got to the open market, the numbers would get huge...HUGE.  I do think he'll take a hometown discount and might sign with the Patriots for something in the range of 4 years $30 million.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Wes is NOT just a slot receiver anymore.  Look at the numbers.  The Patriots are in two receiver sets most of the time these days, and Wes moves around.  Sometimes he's in the slot, and quite often he's on the outside.  He seems faster than before, and is running more downfield routes, as evidenced by his 15.4 yards per reception.   Why can't a great receiver just be a great receiver?  Yes there are different playing styles and different strengths but right now Wes is literally doing it all.  If he theoretically got to the open market, the numbers would get huge...HUGE.  I do think he'll take a hometown discount and might sign with the Patriots for something in the range of 4 years $30 million.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

I hope it gets done. Any true football fan has to love the way this guy plays football. It would be a shame if he ever wears another uniform. But BB will assess this based on need vs cost.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension:
    [QUOTE]There's been lots of discussions in the opening weeks of the season as to whether Welker should be given a new contract and for how much and how long and I hope it's a a topic that needs to be put to rest ASAP by ownership. He's obviously fully recovered from the knee injury and he's cured himself of the oopsies that plagued him last season. You have all these primadonna big name (money) players complaining about how they've outplayed the value of their contracts and here you have the humble Welker who's outplayed his contract from the moment he stopped on the field in a Pats uniform, never displaying anything but a dedication to this team and his teammates. His name deserves to be associated with likes of Brady, Bruschi, Brown and Faulk, forever synonymous with New England Patriot. Pay the man BB! You don't want him playing against Pats with the porous secondary that's plagued the team since Ty Law left.
    Posted by Cantab-in-Nashville[/QUOTE]

Did he say he was leaving? Nope. Has he issued a statement saying he wanted x amount of dollars or he'd leave? Nope. This isn't MLB where there is no salary cap. You people with your clueless pay everybody what they want. If you guys ran the club we'd have 6 players taking up 80% of the cap and no money to pay anyone else of quality. Welker will get as good a deal as they can afford.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension : Did he say he was leaving? Nope. Has he issued a statement saying he wanted x amount of dollars or he'd leave? Nope. This isn't MLB where there is no salary cap. You people with your clueless pay everybody what they want. If you guys ran the club we'd have 6 players taking up 80% of the cap and no money to pay anyone else of quality. Welker will get as good a deal as they can afford.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

You are in great danger here of being pronounced a negative nancy. True fans don't bother themselves with trivial details like a cap in the mind of a cheerleader.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Deserves a Big Bucks Extension : No doubt. Wes wants to be here, NE I am sure/especially Brady wants him, so barring an outlandish double the price offer, I think Welker is back here on a 3 year deal and a team option type thing. Maybe 8 million per or something. Anyone know who is agent is?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

There's actually an article on this very site about his representation with Athlete's First, along with a bunch of other Patriots players.  The president of the agency talks about Welker's contract a bit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTPatsFan17. Show CTPatsFan17's posts

yeah you guys need to chill out a little bit.

that being said, I agree that we need to bring back Wes.  I remember listening to WEEI a few days before the season started and they were discussing Wes' contract situation - and one of the guys said we can just let him walk after this year and bring in a guy like Davone Bess, and he would be an ample replacement.  lol.  There's nobody out there that would even come close to replacing Wes' production, nevermind his chemistry with #12

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]You're a troll! No! You're a troll! No! You Are not me! Seriously girls? Play nice.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Troll!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]LOL nice one Babe. But seriously some of these comments look like you guys are wearing skirts or something lol You Are! No You are! I mean what are we in kindergarten?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's stupid. But some folks led by Rusty want to call everybody a troll that disagrees with them. So some are sick of it and just let them have it right back. No harm done.