Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezadude. Show rezadude's posts

Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season

Can anyone think of a better receiver and more valuable player?
    Cheers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season

well i will say that he is the most important reciever on this patriots team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

He is the best '' slot '' receiver in the nfl 3rd year in a row. He can't be covered, too fast, too shifty, too elusive. He should break 100 catches and 1000 yards for 3 years in a row. He is also the best YAC receiver in the nfl and not a bad punt returner either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

In Response to Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season:
    [QUOTE]Can anyone think of a better receiver and more valuable player? Cheers
    Posted by rezadude[/QUOTE]

This is one Steeler fan who agree's with you. Look at how much better your offense has gotten since he returned.  Nothing flashy, he is just money every week. Scores a Touchdown, or makes a big play , no show-boating or anything. In contrast, Santonio Holmes today looked like an immature thug as he made a muscle and flashed his biceps when he made a catch, or after his Touchdown, which was called back because of a penalty. This guy scares me alot more than Randy Moss.Welker is an amazing player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

we should lock him up for life, he is one of the most valueable players on our team, very versitile, and is willing to take a few hits to get the first down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

In Response to Re: Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season : This is one Steeler fan who agree's with you. Look at how much better your offense has gotten since he returned.  Nothing flashy, he is just money every week. Scores a Touchdown, or makes a big play , no show-boating or anything. In contrast, Santonio Holmes today looked like an immature thug as he made a muscle and flashed his biceps when he made a catch, or after his Touchdown, which was called back because of a penalty. This guy scares me alot more than Randy Moss.Welker is an amazing player.
    Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]

Congrats on knocking off the vikings, big win for your guys. Woodley does it again, the guy is money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

He has been amazing.  One of those guys that just get it done and move on to the next play.  Reminds me of Troy Brown.  And Kevin Faulk, for that matter. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

Andre Johnson is definitely a better overall receiver, but who's more valuable to their team? thats debatable

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Welker is money and whatever Belichick and the Krafts are paying is completely worth it.....in gold. In an era of many primadonna receivers Wes is the complete opposite.... no showboating,plays with passion and smarts, takes a hit and continues to beat you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season : Congrats on knocking off the vikings, big win for your guys. Woodley does it again, the guy is money.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

Thanks! The Vikings defense is pretty good. I was impressed with them. But they don't have the passing attack that the Patriots & the Colts have. Hard to run on the Steelers, but a receiver like Welker will be bad news for the Steelers defense because their CB's & Safety's play way too far back! Welker is a master at taking a quick short pass and turning it into a good size gain. Haven't seen a receiver like him in a long time. I know he could probably care less, because his main goal is to do what it takes for his team to win, but I don't think enough fans outside of New England really realize just how good he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Moss is why Welker is getting all those catches. He's good but not that good. If Moss was gone Welker would be doubled and do barley anything. Moss takes 2 guys with him every play. Don't get me wrong he is good but a beneficiary of Moss bigtime. Edleman had like 9 catches his first game. It ain't because he's a very good reciever either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]Edleman had like 9 catches his first game. It ain't because he's a very good reciever either.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Your post was right on until the stupidity of the last statement. Edleman still had to run his routes, catch the ball, and make YAC. Edleman has a lot of the same skills as Welker and in time, through experience, he'll be a good slot receiver.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season : Your post was right on until the stupidity of the last statement. Edleman still had to run his routes, catch the ball, and make YAC. Edleman has a lot of the same skills as Welker and in time, through experience, he'll be a good slot receiver.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

Edlemans a very good reciever? He's and average / servicable slot receiver and if you think he is very good after a few games then nothing can save you...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

The whole "Moss makes Welker better" thing has started to lose some validity.  It still is true, to a point, and so is the opposite (Welker makes Moss better).  However, teams are focusing much more on Welker now than they did before.  He often gets the best cover defenders on him, and is frequently double teamed as well. 

He's an amazing player, and there's no way to sell him short.  Every team in the league would kill to have Welker in their receiving corps.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]The whole "Moss makes Welker better" thing has started to lose some validity.  It still is true, to a point, and so is the opposite (Welker makes Moss better).  However, teams are focusing much more on Welker now than they did before.  He often gets the best cover defenders on him, and is frequently double teamed as well.  He's an amazing player, and there's no way to sell him short.  Every team in the league would kill to have Welker in their receiving corps.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]
    This is very true. They are focusing on him much more. You could tell on a few screen plays the Patriots run that the other team is ready and waiting to hit welker. The thing about Welker is he's so quick and hard to take down. The guy breaks tackles and weaves in and out of blockers like no other WR in the league. They can gameplan around him, but the fact he can make so many others miss when they know it's coming means something.

He's a great player, and yes I said great. He's proved it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season : Edlemans a very good reciever? He's and average / servicable slot receiver and if you think he is very good after a few games then nothing can save you...
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

So what can say to justify this response? Have you watched game film and watched the routes he runs? Probably not....they are pretty precise. What does running good routes have to do with anything? It has to do with timing.

He's got good hands and does well after the catch. What can you bring to the table to say he isn't good?

He's not a Welker......in fact, theres not another slot receiver that is.....but Edelman has been impressive, which is why he's gotten snaps, and he'll learn by being behind Welker.

And Moss and Welker compliment each other. You can't dedicate 4 defenders to the two of them. It forces the defense to play cover 2 to against the deep pass and opens up the middle, which is Welker excels. Play a zone against Brady and he'll pick you apart. The two of them make each other better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Welker missed two games and is still the NFL's leading WR (in receptions). He might be the best slot WR to ever play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Just a week ago or so he was voted by his peers as the most underrated player in the NFL. So I have to think that the "Moss makes him better" claim is too simplistic.  At this point, he isn't flying under any team's radar.  Welker and Moss make each other better. And the YACs don't lie.  It is not like Moss is throwing blocks to set him free very often.

How about Moss' total focus to hold on to those passes when he was clocked?

And it looks like the team is finding those defensive "playmakers", like Merriweather, Wilfork and Banta-Cain.

Sound was off where I watched.  I did not see AD.  Did he sit again? Or did he have another low-key game?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

What always amazes me is the number of catches that Welker makes that go for first downs.  It seems like at least half of his receptions move the chains, and such awareness is so critical to the success of a football team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]The whole "Moss makes Welker better" thing has started to lose some validity.  It still is true, to a point, and so is the opposite (Welker makes Moss better).  [/QUOTE]

Imagine how much better both would be if we had a third wide out! Can Tate fill that position in the coming weeks? He's sure fast.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Welker is a damn good WR, but he is also a slot receiver. He is usually lined-up against LBs and safeties when he plays. He can never line-up juxtaposition to Randy Moss because Welker can't go deep. Moss is working on being an all-around receiver at 32 years old, he is still the best receiver on the team, but I would take AJ (Andre Johnson), Fitzy, and CJ (Calvin Johnson) over both, though.

How about Aiken and Tate? The competition for the 3 WR just got better. 

Tate opened up the field well and although he took the blame for the INT I say if Brady throws the ball to Tate's right, and away from Talib, Tate would walk in with a TD. 

Aiken showed his speed and power on his TD reception. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker is unquestionably the top NFL receiver this season : So what can say to justify this response? Have you watched game film and watched the routes he runs? Probably not....they are pretty precise. What does running good routes have to do with anything? It has to do with timing. He's got good hands and does well after the catch. What can you bring to the table to say he isn't good? He's not a Welker......in fact, theres not another slot receiver that is.....but Edelman has been impressive, which is why he's gotten snaps, and he'll learn by being behind Welker. And Moss and Welker compliment each other. You can't dedicate 4 defenders to the two of them. It forces the defense to play cover 2 to against the deep pass and opens up the middle, which is Welker excels. Play a zone against Brady and he'll pick you apart. The two of them make each other better.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

lol calm down on Edelman, he hasnt showed enough to call him a "good receiver" JAbar Gaffney should be called a "good receiver" not great not elite, just good. Edelman is no where near Gaffney, Edelman still falls in the "project...wait and see" category."

As of now, i think hes a better returner than a receiver.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I don't think Welker is the TOP receiver, but he is probably the most valuable. It sure helps to have him when you're Brady and you're still trying to get your mechanics down. Cassel should give Wes a chunk of his contract- he wouldn't have gotten paid that well without having "The Slot Machine" to throw to last year.

Do any of you see another receiver in the NFL with skills like Wes? He really seems to be a unique athlete.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think Welker is the TOP receiver, but he is probably the most valuable. It sure helps to have him when you're Brady and you're still trying to get your mechanics down. Cassel should give Wes a chunk of his contract- he wouldn't have gotten paid that well without having "The Slot Machine" to throw to last year. Do any of you see another receiver in the NFL with skills like Wes? He really seems to be a unique athlete.
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan[/QUOTE]

You're right, he is unique, and I feel like he's kind of revolutionizing the slot receiver position.  Most teams usually just put their 3rd best receiver in the slot when they go to 3-wide packages, regardless of what type of receiver he is.

Welker's quickness, agility, vision, and blocking make him ideal for that role.  I think we'll see teams develop guys specifically for that role more than they have in the past.  Trying to find their own version of Welker.

This uniqueness has made me curious.  Theoretically, if Welker were a free agent, what type of contract would he get on the market?  There really aren't any players who compare to him in his exact skill set.  My wild guess would be something like 5 years, $35-40 million, which would show how the value of the slot position is increasing tremendously.