Welker, Patriots Close to Multi-Year Deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Welker, Patriots Close to Multi-Year Deal

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/3/5/4067356/welker-patriots-close-to-multi-year-deal

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Welker, Patriots Close to Multi-Year Deal

If this is true -- and I'll believe it when I see it officially announced -- then it will be really interesting to see just how much the Pats value Welker.  I cannot believe he'd take a pass at  seeing what he can get on the open market to gauge what he's being offered to stay in New England.  I have no idea what he'll get if he re-signs, but with the Pats paying for Gronk and Hernandez I'm guessing the deal will be fair but not overwhelming.     

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

I think this yesterday's news. The updated news is Welker is now going to kick some tires until early next week.

This.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

If this is true -- and I'll believe it when I see it officially announced -- then it will be really interesting to see just how much the Pats value Welker.  I cannot believe he'd take a pass at  seeing what he can get on the open market to gauge what he's being offered to stay in New England.  I have no idea what he'll get if he re-signs, but with the Pats paying for Gronk and Hernandez I'm guessing the deal will be fair but not overwhelming.     

I think (as Schefter's tweet sais at the end of the article) that WW will take a look around but, in the end, it's only out of curiosity. He can't afford to start to "gel" with another QB like Brady at 32. He knows he's set for life. He knows he's a Patriot for life and wants to be linked to Brady and why not? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

WW leaves and the Patriots simply sign another guy.If he stays it will be at a Patriots discount.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

WW leaves and the Patriots simply sign another guy.If he stays it will be at a Patriots discount.

True.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Giardi from csn yesterday reports they are close yesterday, and good ole Espn chimes in today that WELKER will test free agency....who do you believe ..or is this just leverage on both sides?   

Now that bowe resigned, noticed that Vikings -dolphins may target wallace.  Leaves Jennings out there, and Hartline back wiTh phinS?  Injury prone amendola?  really?   not much out there but simply bringing Wes back !  Then turn to defensive side of ball!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Looks like most of the bigger free agent WR names are going to either stay put or already spoken for.  I'm not a Jenkins fan.  So just spend some dough on Welker to keep him here, otherwise the passing game for the Pats will be in trouble. 

BTW, did you know WW led the league in YAC?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I bet any deal the Pats have on the table expires before midnight on Monday. Not saying they wouldn't still give him the same deal later, just that if he isn't going to sign by then, they need to start pursuing other receiver options. Posted elsewhere:

Your choice:

Welker at 8M/yr, Amendola and Edelman at a total of 9M, Jennings at 10M, Wallace at 11M

What is you preference? And remember the extra savings from a Welker deal could upgrade from say Arrington to Lewis or DRC or ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If it's me choosing who I go after, Welker would be number 1 just because he has a chemistry with TB, but if he is planning on a prolonged peak into the FA world then he's a goner. That being the case re-sign Edelman and take a shot at either Jennings or Wallace,now I know the rumor mill has Wallace going to Miami or maybe Minnesota,but if BB comes calling who would you rather have as your QB if your Wallace? Brady or one of the two youngsters in miami or minnesota? I'm guessing unless the money is stupid money Brady wins that contest. However I think the Patriots already have Amendola locked up as Mike Floria has already stated.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

I bet any deal the Pats have on the table expires before midnight on Monday. Not saying they wouldn't still give him the same deal later, just that if he isn't going to sign by then, they need to start pursuing other receiver options. Posted elsewhere:

Your choice:

Welker at 8M/yr, Amendola and Edelman at a total of 9M, Jennings at 10M, Wallace at 11M

What is you preference? And remember the extra savings from a Welker deal could upgrade from say Arrington to Lewis or DRC or ...

I think regardless of Welker being back that they will re-sign Edelman on the cheap.  Edelman really has no options here.  He isn't going to be looked at by many teams, if any, and if so he probably wont see much playing time anywhere on the field if he goes to another team.  BB likes to take the lesser talented guys who will play for small money and turn them into a project.  Sometimes it pays off.  Plus I think BB likes the heart Edelman has. Willing to play anywhere, just wants to be on the field.  You sort of keep guys like that around if they come cheap.

So the real options is sign and keep Welker at lets say $8-$9 million.  Or Amendola at $6 million, which has been what his reported going rate will be.  Then you take the risk of Amendola being able to play a full season.  Then maybe you figure between Edelman and Amendola you can get a full season with those two combined.  Maybe, maybe not.  History shows you probably wont.  SO I pay the extra $2-$3 million to keep Welker, a proven player in this system, and a dependable player who doesn't miss much time.

As for Jenkins, I don't want him.  His injuries last season bothered me and I don't trust him as being the receiver the Pats can count on.  Wallace, well thats big money.

So really, when you look at it, the Pats will only save $2-$3 million letting Welker go, not worth the risk to me.  $2-$3 million isn't going to be a problem signing other people.  Heck, they can shuffle $2-$3 million around to make it all work.  I show the Pats at being around $27 million under the cap right now.  Signing Welker shouldn't stop them from being able to get another good talent for another erea.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/03/thoughts_on_wel.html

Greg Bedard, Boston Globe article this morning

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajaym. Show ajaym's posts

Not that I have a say in team matters, but Wes is as key (almost always great and reliable) a player in the team as Brady. The way I see it, the reality of our offense is that when all components play their part to their "good" (not best) capability, it is unstoppable. No individual can bring us the SB, but togather, the offense can, even with a  middling defense (although who would not like a bruising defense on their side).

1. TB: Fantastic; has off days, but who does not and that is why we need 2-3 really good RBs to take the heat off him - and we have them!

2. SRs/WRs: WW and basically nobody. Wes takes a beating and still keeps going. Nobody on our team in the last 3 years has been as resilient and productive as Wes: Pay The Man (even if it means paying him when he is older and not as productive)! I really dislike Lloyd because the number of times in 3rd downs on critical plays of the game, I see him sitting down, grinning like a jack:a$$, and dropping the pass - note that at these times, Brady is almost getting killed. We *need* Wes and two other WRs/SRs, at least one who can stretch the field somewhat and actually make catches there (and run after that) clearly, that is not Lloyd. 

3. TEs: Gronk & Hern - Fantastic, buuuuuut: Both are injury prone and the reason for that is exactly the same reason why they are fantastic when uninjured - big/strong/fast and when they fall, it is some energy transfer that is taking place! Adding Ballard to this set is great, but we need one more in the Hern/Ballard category - Gronk is unique.

4. OL: what else but Fantastic; w/o this group TB will get killed on the field.

Without Wes, I think its better than even chance that we may not even sniff AFCC, leave alone SB. We would have to be extremely lucky to find 3 decent WRs/SRs and have Gronk & Hern healthy simultaneously. Pay The Man!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

If Welker is just gauging his market value in this legal tempering period, and he is returning to the Pats after considering what is out there, does it not mean that he has to sign the contract with the Pats before Monday, the start of free agency? Once free agency started,  the Pats cannot wait for his decision before moving on other targets. So if Welker did not sign by tomorrow night, he is going elswhere?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Wes is not the key, Brady is . . . Brady made Wes, not Wes made Brady.  Othe than playing with Payton I cannot see Wes getting 100 catches with another team.

Your choice:

Welker at 8M/yr, Amendola and Edelman at a total of 9M, Jennings at 10M, Wallace at 11M . . . 

. . .  for me I'd take Wallace and draft Auston or Swope for the slot the money would be less than Welker/Lloyd and the team would be younger and faster. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

We have what 25M in cap space.

Welker 4/32 - 7M,9M,9M and 7M

Wallace 4 year 40M

Bye Lyold and save 4M

Ed Reed 2/10M

Talib 4/32

That is 26M

Rework Vince and Mankins to

create another 10M and get 

Freeny 1/5M

Phil Loadholt 5/25M

Any thoughts?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Your choice:

I don't see anyone offering the 30 year old Jennings $10mil. per year. Edelman and Armendola may be had for less than $9mil., collectively.    

The sticking point with Welker will surely be the amount of money guaranteed, and the structure of the contract...not his average yearly salary. In other words, suppose the Pats offer Welker a 3 year, $25mil. deal. It's a good deal for the Pats is the amount of guaranteed money is $12mil. or less...and the contract is backloaded. In which case, Wes will never collect in year three.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

What has Welker done lately?  118 pass completions this past year, 122 the year before.  Then he had an ACL recovery year of 86 completions, then 123, 111 and 112 pass completions.  He wears a big sign on the field saying, "I'm running the in-out route and the ball's coming right here" and few teams have the personnel to stop him 1 on 1.  A double team does the job, but then somebody else is uncovered.  Nobody ever has those numbers.  Hall of Fame.

Moreover, a huge percentage of Welker's completions help the team.  An 8 yard completion on first and 10 sets up a second and 2, which is almost better than getting a first and 10 because you get to either smash the defensive interior and get the first down, or else you can rip off another 10 yards through the air if they're playing run.  Guys who get open 40 yards downfield and drop the ball only help their team half the time.  From New England's side, Welker's value can be measured in numbers of wins and playoff appearances.  The year the Welker tore up his knee, all the heart went out of the team going into the playoffs.

I suspect that Brady has a big say, and he really likes seeing an open target 6 yards down the field all the time.  Brady doesn't have to absorb a pounding when he can successfully get rid of the ball in record time.  That's good for Brady's health and his long term earnings too.

Now, what was life like for Welker during his first three years?  0 receptions, 29 receptions and 67 receptions.  Then Miami made him a lowball RFA offer.  Kid, you're two steps better than trash.  New England made an offer that Miami couldn't match, Miami took New England's second rounder (a forgetable pick) and BB seems to have gotten the better of that deal. 

Welker fell into a honey pot, with a quarterback who doesn't specialize in throwing deep but boy is he accurate over the middle, and smart.  In New England Welker usually doesn't get led face first into a 250 pound linebacker.  He catches the ball on the run and gets yards after the catch, or at least he gets time to hit the dirt on his own without the defense's help.  I think he has an understanding with BB.  He dives for the dirt because it's good for the team.  In return, Welker has had an amazingly long football life and income for a 5 foot 9 inch guy.  When you don't get hit, you live to make another x million next year, and the next year, on and on.  Welker's agent is rich, that's how good Welker is.

So, after both sides hem and haw, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come to an agreement.  Some other team will think of making a huge offer this weekend, but there's a good chance Welker will settle for less up front if his job longevity looks better here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

Wes is not the key, Brady is . . . Brady made Wes, not Wes made Brady.  Othe than playing with Payton I cannot see Wes getting 100 catches with another team.

Your choice:

Welker at 8M/yr, Amendola and Edelman at a total of 9M, Jennings at 10M, Wallace at 11M . . . 

. . .  for me I'd take Wallace and draft Auston or Swope for the slot the money would be less than Welker/Lloyd and the team would be younger and faster. 

wallace and hopkins or rogers

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to looneyman's comment:

We have what 25M in cap space.

Welker 4/32 - 7M,9M,9M and 7M

Wallace 4 year 40M

Bye Lyold and save 4M

Ed Reed 2/10M

Talib 4/32

That is 26M

Rework Vince and Mankins to

create another 10M and get 

Freeny 1/5M

Phil Loadholt 5/25M

Any thoughts?

"Rework Vince and Mankins to"

my thought since beforre brady deal. rework all three and get what we need,

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

What has Welker done lately?  118 pass completions this past year, 122 the year before.  Then he had an ACL recovery year of 86 completions, then 123, 111 and 112 pass completions.  He wears a big sign on the field saying, "I'm running the in-out route and the ball's coming right here" and few teams have the personnel to stop him 1 on 1.  A double team does the job, but then somebody else is uncovered.  Nobody ever has those numbers.  Hall of Fame.

Moreover, a huge percentage of Welker's completions help the team.  An 8 yard completion on first and 10 sets up a second and 2, which is almost better than getting a first and 10 because you get to either smash the defensive interior and get the first down, or else you can rip off another 10 yards through the air if they're playing run.  Guys who get open 40 yards downfield and drop the ball only help their team half the time.  From New England's side, Welker's value can be measured in numbers of wins and playoff appearances.  The year the Welker tore up his knee, all the heart went out of the team going into the playoffs.

I suspect that Brady has a big say, and he really likes seeing an open target 6 yards down the field all the time.  Brady doesn't have to absorb a pounding when he can successfully get rid of the ball in record time.  That's good for Brady's health and his long term earnings too.

Now, what was life like for Welker during his first three years?  0 receptions, 29 receptions and 67 receptions.  Then Miami made him a lowball RFA offer.  Kid, you're two steps better than trash.  New England made an offer that Miami couldn't match, Miami took New England's second rounder (a forgetable pick) and BB seems to have gotten the better of that deal. 

Welker fell into a honey pot, with a quarterback who doesn't specialize in throwing deep but boy is he accurate over the middle, and smart.  In New England Welker usually doesn't get led face first into a 250 pound linebacker.  He catches the ball on the run and gets yards after the catch, or at least he gets time to hit the dirt on his own without the defense's help.  I think he has an understanding with BB.  He dives for the dirt because it's good for the team.  In return, Welker has had an amazingly long football life and income for a 5 foot 9 inch guy.  When you don't get hit, you live to make another x million next year, and the next year, on and on.  Welker's agent is rich, that's how good Welker is.

So, after both sides hem and haw, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come to an agreement.  Some other team will think of making a huge offer this weekend, but there's a good chance Welker will settle for less up front if his job longevity looks better here.

Wel said Paul!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Damn...There is nothing better than a well written piece by a fan that has his head on straight! Enjoyed every sentence Paul K.

Sections
Shortcuts