Welker play "legal"-according to Blandino.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Re: Welker play

The ball was right there when the hit was made.Lets put a spin on this take the same place the ball was and say talib was hitting decker at that point what do you call that ?I say great play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to AFNAV130's comment:

Okay yeah that's pretty much what I figured. It was another pick play. Hightower was responsible for the zone over the middle. So it was another pick play and he found himself a linebacker. Probably figured that Ryan or whomever was on decker was going to come across but instead it was Hightower. Oh well. 

Just as you pointed out you can't take out the CB before the ball reaches the receivers hand, you also can't take out a WR past 5yrds if the ball is still in the QB's hands. Both are penalities. Come on man, if you are going to call it one way you have to admit to the other.

I understand that we all route for the laundry but the blinders on this forum are utterly amazing. Everyone needs a goat to blame a lose on and Welkers an easy target for everyone. Where as if you take a step back and think about it these crossing patterns result in collisions all the time. Sometimes between CBs (happened to us this year and ended up taking Dennard out for a couple games), sometimes between WR's (again has happened to us this year), and sometimes between WR's and CBs (yet again happen to us this year on both sides).

The notion it was meant to injure is just silly. I've played the game up to a college level, you want to take someone out you aim for a vital spot, knees or head or hip, and you do so leaning into the hit to add force. You don't turn your shoulder, stand up right, and hit torso. It takes away all your force, the torso is one of the most protected areas, and your shoulder pads turned in that fashion act more like shock absorbers then as hard plates to deliver hits. If you notice Talib leaned into the hit and actually put much more force behind his hit to Welker then the other way around. This shows that Welker was either running a pick and wanted to chip Talib with enough force to knock him off the play but no intention of injury (again look at force delivered and location of hit) or that they both chose the same direction to go in to avoid a collision (again both their last outside steps happened at the same time and both didn't have time to react after that plant had been made) and a collision just occured by accident. 

My god, everyone is looking for something to blame the lose on other then what's in front of them. We lack the talent to match up in the playoffs, Brady isn't the same QB in the playoffs as he was earlier in his career, the D couldn't stop a kitten from holding on to the ball for 7mins and getting points, the coaching staff gets out coached, and the key players we count on most in the playoffs disappear with injures. Instead of blaming 1 player who isn't even on the team anymore how about they start getting higher talent guys on both sides of the board (yes this means spending a little more on 1 player instead of 3 but why should that be a problem if BB is good at finding UDFA's for backups? and it also means spending higher draft picks instead of trading them back for quantity), start developing plays to utilize Brady's strengths at his older age (meaning more play action, screens, quick slants to get the ball out quicker with higher perchantage throws), stop counting on injury prone players in key situations (or 5 starters have been known to have injury issues and of the 5 in any given year only 1-2 actually have made and played significant time in teh AFCCG), and the coaching staff has got to start adapting to the new league rules and stop with this prevent D giving up tons of yards and time but hey they only give up 3 points a drive on 75% of series stuff.

+100

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

In response to JIMMYPROFFER's comment:

Some of you people never cease to amaze me.

Let's take our 5'9" 180lbs starting receiver two weeks removed from concussion issues and use him as a battering ram!!

Completely ridiculous .............

Why not it's not like they are going to resign him anyway!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to fourjays30's comment:

Let's take our 5'9" 180lbs starting receiver two weeks removed from concussion issues and use him as a battering ram!!

75+ receptions, 800+ receiving yards 11 td's (reg season and playoffs) I'm pretty sure the Broncos and Manning want and need him in the cold, stormy weather conditions for the SB. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to fourjays30's comment:

75+ receptions, 800+ receiving yards 11 td's (reg season and playoffs) I'm pretty sure the Broncos and Manning want and need him in the cold, stormy weather conditions for the SB. 

Which is why Welker made sure he went low and threw what used to be called a cross body block

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Apparently nobody has Showtime and watched Inside the NFL tonight.

Simms, Collinsworth and Curtis Martin all agree that they don't think it was intentional, shouldn't have been a penalty, they didn't even think Welker tried to run into Talib.  Martin said Welker took the brunt of the collision. Simms said everyone in the league runs that crossing pattern.

Collinsworth and Martin both brought up the scenario of have you ever been walking heading into someone and you both try to guess which direction the other person is going and you both make the same decision and end up running into each other?  Dang, everyone has done that before at least once if not more in their lifetime.  That's a perfect scenario.

What we do know for sure is it was just another AFCCG that Talib exited before halftime.

Frustration makes people see things that aren't there.

The longer I review the play and distance myself from the game-day frustration I can see that there was no illegal action.   No flag should have been thrown.

And while we can't know what was in WW's or Talib's head at that instant I highly doubt it was intentional by either party.

The Showtime summary sounds plausible.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

of course, what else would one expect from the NFL. but what about the illegal pick block-that was not called?

what one was that?

Game, the block welker put on Talib was a designed pick play, which should have been offensive PI.

we got called on a chinsy offensive PI pick play later in the game, that was no way near what welker did to Talib.

Hey NEGAME, don't take Kansaspats word on this, I don't think he has ever watched the play again other then this gif.

Here is my observation of the Welker/Talib play.

I watched this play over and over in regular motion about 15 times yesterday and here are my observations.. 

It is very possible Welker was the initial target on this play, not Thomas.  While manning is in the pocket he looks to his left to where Welker is running, Collins is blitzing, seeing talib in Welkers direction and with Collins in Mannings face Manning rushes a pass to Thomas.  Thomas seemed surprised by the pass, not ready for it and drops the ball.

As Talib is running across the field after Thomas, he notices Arrington in his way so TALIB CHANGES his running path and decided to go inside where Welker is instead of outside around Arrington.  There is no way Talib could have thought he would get in between Welker and Arrington and still cover Thomas...Could Talib have wanted to take a $hot at Welker??  Interesting thought.

Right before the ball is snapped you hear a Patriots defensive player say "watch the pick".  Found  that interesting.

Now, after reading this "Welker's action was full speed" in the above mentioned article, I am not so sure about that.  I will have to look again.  But I do remember the first couple of time while watching the play over and over yesterday, I thought Welker wasn't running at full speed during his route.  We have all watched Welker run many routes over the years, some of the routes he doesn't run at full speed in order to disguise what he is doing and then hits a full speed stride when he reaches the part of the route where he needs to get open.  It's possible his route was one of those type routes and Talib, choosing to go inside instead of outside Arrington, changed everything.

Take it for what it's worth but at least you are getting a real evaluation of the play instead of from memory and gifs from others.

If you watch the play, Welker hits him BEFORE the ball is caught/dropped. He had no idea it had been thrown and crashes into Talib anyhow. There is no other explanation. Talib sees the ball thrown, which is why he went after Thomas. Watch Thomas and Talib. Accidents are still penalties. No matter which way you cut it. That's why this is so glaring.

Welker also changes the direction of his route, sharply at the end. How is this debatable?

TFB12 and the Broncos trolls are morons.

C'mon dude TFB12 is not a moron. he free to his opinion just like you

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

What a fraud. Can't get the Gronk explanation correct and in line with what the video is showing, and here again, Welker launches himself at Talib BEFORE the ball was caught. Not looking for the ball. Not trying to avoid the player. Not trying to "rub" him. But according to Blandino, witching the current rules, it's a clean play. Really. See, this is how communism, totalitariaism, collectivization works.  They feed you lies and once you start accepting them, they continue knowing you won't do anything to stop it. Now, you can argue if it was dirty, or intent. Whatever. What you can't argue is he hit him when he should not have. That was not a rub play. Again, the NFL falsely explains a play. Karl Marx and Chairman Mao would be very, very proud.

It's on Ian Raps twitter page.

oh no now you're so desperate you are pulling out the old "Communist" rhetoric!

You just further embarrass yourself with every word...u are proof of the sore loser with zero class Pat fan no one can stand

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Of course it is!  Any clearly illegal play against NE is deemed legal. The refs can pick up flags, run off the field, call penalties in OT that have never been called in NFL history before or since even though NE was victimized by the same infraction earlier in the game AND the NFL misled teams on what the new rule was when showcasing it this offseason.

LMAO

WHat a debacle.

Maybe Dean Blandino can show this is illegal pick by Troy Brown right before half in the 2006 AFC Title game as NE was steamrolling down the field for a 24 or 28-3 halftime lead.

bawahahaha

What a joke.

now if Bellichick did this (did many times) it would be a clean, intelligent play right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

What a fraud. Can't get the Gronk explanation correct and in line with what the video is showing, and here again, Welker launches himself at Talib BEFORE the ball was caught. Not looking for the ball. Not trying to avoid the player. Not trying to "rub" him. But according to Blandino, witching the current rules, it's a clean play. Really. See, this is how communism, totalitariaism, collectivization works.  They feed you lies and once you start accepting them, they continue knowing you won't do anything to stop it. Now, you can argue if it was dirty, or intent. Whatever. What you can't argue is he hit him when he should not have. That was not a rub play. Again, the NFL falsely explains a play. Karl Marx and Chairman Mao would be very, very proud.

You just further embarrass yourself with every word...u are proof of the sore loser with zero class Pat fan no one can stand

I embarrass myself? You aren't even a Patriots fan. Yet here you are. Joke. Go back. Look up Blandinos explanation regarding Gronks non call. Tell me what he is saying is what is seen on video. Tell me he is describing exactly what is occurring. You can't. Again, I've got more class than you ever could possibly dream to attain. After all, I'm not on your Giants board advancing some anti-Giants rhetoric. If this was an intelligence competition, and good lord I truly wish it were one, I'm fairly positive you would finish at the bottom. Right below me, but still, on the bottom.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

C'mon dude TFB12 is not a moron. he free to his opinion just like you

Thanks, Dude! Rusty is just getting frustrated with me calling him out on all his his nonsense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Which is why Welker made sure he went low and threw what used to be called a cross body block

Define low for me. When a 5'9" receiver and a 6'1" CB collide and still manage to hit shoulder to shoulder but both standing up it's hard for me to understand your definition of low

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Are we done with this yet?  The game is over.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Are we done with this yet? 

Not quite.

Here's my question.

If we can posit that any Peyton Manning-led team is going to need to benefit from some form of shenanigans in order to overcome even the merest adversity (and we can), how does Goodell balance that inconvenience with the unfortunate happenstance of having already screwed Seattle out of one Super Bowl victory already?

Dare he do it again?

And how?

And more importantly . . .   do we really care?

I can't remember a time I was less excited about a Super Bowl . . .

unless it was last year.

Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Are we done with this yet?  The game is over.

Nobody forced you to open the thread.

If you don't want to discuss it then don't read the thread, pretty simple.

I commented earlier the hit was just that, a hit, and unfortunately one player got hurt.  The same points are being made over and over again in different contexts.  It is like two people yelling at each other until one says:  "You are right".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Not quite.

Here's my question.

If we can posit that any Peyton Manning-led team is going to need to benefit from some form of shenanigans in order to overcome even the merest adversity (and we can), how does Goodell balance that inconvenience with the unfortunate happenstance of having already screwed Seattle out of one Super Bowl victory already?

Dare he do it again?

And how?

unless it was last year.

Wink

#1 - we'll NEVER be able to prove it.

#2 - it is about the "block" Welker put on Talib which, unfortunately, resulted in Talib getting injured.  Legal or not in the eyes of the beholder.

#3 - As I noted to JimmyProffer..  this is getting repetitive as there are discussions about this play all over this forum.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Not quite.

Here's my question.

Dare he do it again?

And how?

unless it was last year.

Wink

#1 - we'll NEVER be able to prove it.

#2 - it is about the "block" Welker put on Talib which, unfortunately, resulted in Talib getting injured.  Legal or not in the eyes of the beholder.

#3 - As I noted to JimmyProffer..  this is getting repetitive as there are discussions about this play all over this forum.

#4 - it's all just whining, sore losing and/or paranoid conspiracy crappolla to begin with

Better team won convincingly

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

I embarrass myself? You aren't even a Patriots fan. Yet here you are. Joke. Go back. Look up Blandinos explanation regarding Gronks non call. Tell me what he is saying is what is seen on video. Tell me he is describing exactly what is occurring. You can't. Again, I've got more class than you ever could possibly dream to attain. After all, I'm not on your Giants board advancing some anti-Giants rhetoric. If this was an intelligence competition, and good lord I truly wish it were one, I'm fairly positive you would finish at the bottom. Right below me, but still, on the bottom.

it's not just this current nonsense it's ur theme over and over....paranoid conspiracy crap and shows no class as usual

you lost convincingly to a better team, tip ur hat and look forward to next year but no Pats got purposely screwed by Goodell/NFL, no team ever beats us it's all a set up

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

of course, what else would one expect from the NFL. but what about the illegal pick block-that was not called?

what one was that?

Game, the block welker put on Talib was a designed pick play, which should have been offensive PI.

we got called on a chinsy offensive PI pick play later in the game, that was no way near what welker did to Talib.

Hey NEGAME, don't take Kansaspats word on this, I don't think he has ever watched the play again other then this gif.

Here is my observation of the Welker/Talib play.

I watched this play over and over in regular motion about 15 times yesterday and here are my observations.. 

It is very possible Welker was the initial target on this play, not Thomas.  While manning is in the pocket he looks to his left to where Welker is running, Collins is blitzing, seeing talib in Welkers direction and with Collins in Mannings face Manning rushes a pass to Thomas.  Thomas seemed surprised by the pass, not ready for it and drops the ball.

As Talib is running across the field after Thomas, he notices Arrington in his way so TALIB CHANGES his running path and decided to go inside where Welker is instead of outside around Arrington.  There is no way Talib could have thought he would get in between Welker and Arrington and still cover Thomas...Could Talib have wanted to take a $hot at Welker??  Interesting thought.

Right before the ball is snapped you hear a Patriots defensive player say "watch the pick".  Found  that interesting.

Now, after reading this "Welker's action was full speed" in the above mentioned article, I am not so sure about that.  I will have to look again.  But I do remember the first couple of time while watching the play over and over yesterday, I thought Welker wasn't running at full speed during his route.  We have all watched Welker run many routes over the years, some of the routes he doesn't run at full speed in order to disguise what he is doing and then hits a full speed stride when he reaches the part of the route where he needs to get open.  It's possible his route was one of those type routes and Talib, choosing to go inside instead of outside Arrington, changed everything.

Take it for what it's worth but at least you are getting a real evaluation of the play instead of from memory and gifs from others.

If you watch the play, Welker hits him BEFORE the ball is caught/dropped. He had no idea it had been thrown and crashes into Talib anyhow. There is no other explanation. Talib sees the ball thrown, which is why he went after Thomas. Watch Thomas and Talib. Accidents are still penalties. No matter which way you cut it. That's why this is so glaring.

Welker also changes the direction of his route, sharply at the end. How is this debatable?

TFB12 and the Broncos trolls are morons.

no TFB is not a moron and has the right to his opinions--its too bad that that the good points you make get washed away by your incessant name calling and the need to disparage other posters on this forum.  the point just made is well taken, did you need to add insults?

Don't think he and his ilk are belligerent, though? Has there ever been a time where he and his ilk take the side I take?

Think about that, All they do is see what my position is, take the complete opposite positon, just to troll.

The odds of that being the same way on every single topic are 1 million to 1.

It's an illegal pick play and Off PI. You can't engage a defender when the ball is in the air and before a receiver has possession.

End of story. That's the rule.  There is no ifs, ands or buts on that one.

Hooman starts off his route and grazes a LB and it's PI with an awkward replay and commentators in stunned silence, but this is somehow legal and not PI??

Please.

ilk? is that you new code word to avoid personal attacks?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Not just being a homer but Welker INTENTIONALLY took out Talib-Broncos knew if they took out Talib their chances to win would skyrocket-dirty play bt Welker he changed direction right into Talib instead of running upfield on a route! Karma is a biatch-as Denver will lose in the big one!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This thread shall be submitted to Bellevue for evaluation of entry into a group clinic.

Sections
Shortcuts