Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from otto101. Show otto101's posts

Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer...

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think this my be his last yr. with Pats.  Talking to the media isn't helping at all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer...

Should have taken the 16 million guaranteed. He has no leverage. They know nobody is going to pay him more than that so why offer more than that?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I agree,Pats hold all the cards.As much as Belichick likes what Welker can do,he has a price figured out for that slot and he's not going to overpay for it.It's part of the business of football.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Pats hold all the cards but are they making the right decision?  Just because they are who they are doesn't mean they always make the right decision.  Matter of fact they have made several bad decisions over the years, personnel wise and game wise so they are not as perfect as we like to think they are.

I would be very mad if I was Welker, sure the 9.5 mil is great money but he is leaving himself unprotected this year.  Not good, thats why most players like to get their contract figured out before the season starts.  and a BIG LOL at having to prove himself.  The dude has already done that, no need for proof anymore.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Trade Wes for a 1st...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Wes flexed his muscles by going on ESPN talking about his contract. The Patriots are now flexing theirs. The Patriots want Welker(I hope) and Wes wants the Patriots. I believe a deal will get done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If I'm Wes, I just take the 9.5 guaranteed and then I'm out of here next year. I also look into getting an insurance contract that will pay me something if I happen to get hurt and can't play for another contract. Let's say the pats are offering 2 years 15 million - how hard would it be for this guy to find a team next year to pay him better or on par with that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In response to "Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer...":
    Pats hold all the cards but are they making the right decision?  Just because they are who they are doesn't mean they always make the right decision.  Matter of fact they have made several bad decisions over the years, personnel wise and game wise so they are not as perfect as we like to think they are. I would be very mad if I was Welker, sure the 9.5 mil is great money but he is leaving himself unprotected this year.  Not good, thats why most players like to get their contract figured out before the season starts.  and a BIG LOL at having to prove himself.  The dude has already done that, no need for proof anymore.   Posted by TFB12
    He's leaving himself unprotected at 9.5 million $? Wake up people. I make good money spent many more years in college and have a much more important job than Wes and I will likely never make that much money in my life. Yet I somehow make it. I don't have a garantee from one day to the next with my job. It's all about getting what they think they have coming to them. It's not about financial stability he already has it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

at the end of teh year, i felt if we kept wes, my preference was 7 mil per year, but realizing we may have to go 8 and 3 years to get a deal done (with 2 guaranteed). now that we have leverage, they may have offered 3 years 21 or 2 at 14-15. we'll see what bb has up his sleave

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer...:
    If I'm Wes, I just take the 9.5 guaranteed and then I'm out of here next year. I also look into getting an insurance contract that will pay me something if I happen to get hurt and can't play for another contract. Let's say the pats are offering 2 years 15 million - how hard would it be for this guy to find a team next year to pay him better or on par with that?
    Posted by mthurl

if wes is smart he'll taek a 3 year low per year deal and be lucky he is with teh patriots and making millions of dollars per year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer...":
    Trade Wes for a 1st... Posted by wozzy
    Wozzy, do you understand the business of football at all? Do you understand that first of all some other team must offer a number one for an over 30 WR? Then they have to sign him. If the Pats have a value on Wes of 2/16 does it make sense that another team has a higher dollar value on Wes, us a number one draft choice? C'mon, get a clue before typing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer...:
    In response to "Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer...": Wozzy, do you understand the business of football at all? Do you understand that first of all some other team must offer a number one for an over 30 WR? Then they have to sign him. If the Pats have a value on Wes of 2/16 does it make sense that another team has a higher dollar value on Wes, us a number one draft choice? C'mon, get a clue before typing
    Posted by rkarp

Even if we lose him via free agency we would receive compensation for a player who caught 100+ balls a season... I'm pretty sure there is plenty of interest for Welker.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to "Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer...": Wozzy, do you understand the business of football at all? Do you understand that first of all some other team must offer a number one for an over 30 WR? Then they have to sign him. If the Pats have a value on Wes of 2/16 does it make sense that another team has a higher dollar value on Wes, us a number one draft choice? C'mon, get a clue before typing
    Posted by rkarp

karp, that is harsh. free to disagree. no need to disparage.
    be well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I guess Wes should've taken that 2 yr deal. It's a business Wes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Actually the Patriots can take whatever they want in return for trading Welker.  It doesn't have to be a first round pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Patriots are smarter than other teams they don't pay for what a player HAS DONE. This is the problem with NFL players. They play well and then want paid. That's where nfl teams waste money. Pay for what you think the player is going to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Just for everyone out there making 9.5 a year congrats! Also if the Patriots want to keep Wes after next year they have the means to do so,by either working out a long term contract or by just Franchising him again next year though it would cost more money next year it might be a more viable option than a long term contract,I think he would earn 12.5 if tagged again next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

WW tried to play poker with BB. Did you notice Ebert signed a 4 year deal.

Wes gets a SB ring this year and heads to Cleveland in 2013 to ride out his career.                     

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Just for everyone out there making 9.5 a year congrats! Also if the Patriots want to keep Wes after next year they have the means to do so,by either working out a long term contract or by just Franchising him again next year though it would cost more money next year it might be a more viable option than a long term contract,I think he would earn 12.5 if tagged again next year.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

i think its 11.2 mil. maybe 11.5

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

WW tried to play poker with BB. Did you notice Ebert signed a 4 year deal. Wes gets a SB ring this year and heads to Cleveland in 2013 to ride out his career.                     
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Exactly, and really that could be best for both parties. Let's say they franchise him again next year (can they still do that?) - he'd still be making around 20 million for two season, which is more than the pats were offering and he was asking.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer... : Exactly, and really that could be best for both parties. Let's say they franchise him again next year (can they still do that?) - he'd still be making around 20 million for two season, which is more than the pats were offering and he was asking.
    Posted by mthurl

he was asking for 10+ per year for 4-5 years.
    if it plays out that way that is not as bad as guaranteeing 2 years.
    you get to see his health and his play till the end of the year/ beginning of next.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Nothing too surprising in this. Always thought Welker would end up playing under the tag. The two-year $16 million guaranteed original deal the Pats offered Welker wasn't bad, but Welker probably can make more than $16 million over the next two years by playing under the tag this year and then negotiating a decent two- or three-year free agent deal with another team next year. 

As far as the Pats are concerned, I'm not sure they wanted to take the cap hit in future years they would have needed to take if they had signed Welker either to a larger two-year deal or to a longer term deal.  I don't think they see Welker as part of their long term plans. 

It will be interesting to see how other teams evaluate Welker when he hits the market next year. In the short term, I don't expect him to be traded this year because I'm not sure the demand for him would be high enough for a team to want to pick up the $9.5 million salary (or negotiate someting even bigger) plus give up draft picks or players to the Pats. I also would be very surprised if the Pats worked out a longer term deal with him.  I suspect he's looking for guaranteed money in the 20 million range, but I can't see the Pats giving him that for two years.  A longer term deal might make such a large guarantee more palatable since its cap cost could be spread out over more years, but I don't think the Pats think they'll have a need for Welker three years from now so offering him a longer contract doesn't make much sense. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Welker sais talks have gotten worse and the Pats have reduced their 2 year offer... : he was asking for 10+ per year for 4-5 years. if it plays out that way that is not as bad as guaranteeing 2 years. you get to see his health and his play till the end of the year/ beginning of next.
    Posted by bredbru

That's simply not true.  No one knows what he is asking for as that was never released.  Where do you get you're info?
    The voices in your head don't count.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejusox21. Show ejusox21's posts

Pay him!!! (but dont over pay)I like what he has done by signing the tag and wanting NOT to miss any time...Classy Wes! Oh and PAY HIM!

Sections
Shortcuts