Welker says he only tore ACL, could have faster recovery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Welker says he only tore ACL, could have faster recovery

This is from PFT

Wes Welker says he tore "just the ACL"

In an odd report from the Associated Press coming from a charity event Friday night, Patriots wideout Wes Welker indicated that he tore "just the ACL" at the end of last season.

As Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald points out, this conflicts with many previous reports that indicated Welker also tore his MCL.  Welker himself even admitted back in January that his surgery was delayed because his MCL first had to heal.  

Perhaps this is just a case of semantics, but it's strange because Welker was apparently asked  about tearing both ligaments and corrected the reporter.  

It's hard to know whether to make anything out of this.  If he really never tore his MCL, Welker's recovery could be a little faster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

Re: Welker says he only tore ACL, could have faster recovery

I believe an MCL heals way faster than an ACL and likely wouldn't change how long his recovery would take.  They usually hold off the ACL surgery for the MCL to heal up.  From what I have heard about similar injuries, by the time Wes is ready to go, his MCL would have been healed whether he tore it or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

IMO, the best way this situation coul unfold is: Welker takes his time; comes back when he's ready.  Meanwhile, the newer guys (who should be hungry to earn/get playing time) will take advantage of their oppotunities; make themselves ready to go on the field at anytime and be productive.  In the end, they will improve their depth and situational play (i.e. having guys be able to come in for that important play).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't care what he says from now until he's actually back on the field at whatever 100% is when he rehabs. The last interview I read, he said "the important thing is to work as hard as I can to get ready so I can be ready whenever I'm ready" -- or something like that.  It was pretty hilarious, whatever he said.

I'm just gonna say this:

We've seen the last of Wes Welker as we knew him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Why are people worried about Welker? Let him take his time. We have Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Edelman to work the middle of the field. 

Welker, as productive as he was, was helped by Randy Moss drawing coverage. We all saw what Edelman could do in his place-- against the Jets and Ravens. Don't worry about Wes, he'll be a non-factor this year. Worry about the people who'll see the field.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I like what 49 has to say.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if we don't see Welker at all next season, and I'm quite certain the Wes Welker we all wish would come back is already dead.
    Bear in mind his injury was not a contact injury. He hurt himself trying to make his body do what -- to that point -- it had always done. You can blame the turf in Houston if that makes you feel better, but the truth is that Welker lost the lottery that day. I hope he mends quickly and completely, and will happily watch him wreck his other knee (or the same one again) as often as he likes . . .   but for a guy who does what he does on a regular basis, this injury is a black cloak and a guy to say prayers.

If I'm the Pats' brain trust, I pretend there's no such thing as Wes Welker.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Someone said in this thread recovering from an MCL is shorter. Thats true but when bogged down with both ligaments being torn the recovery time could take up to 8-12 months and even after that time Wes wouldnt even be 100%. The knee isnt something you cant really build upon but you can work on the new ligaments and getting back the strength around the knee.

For Wes to not have to worry about rehabbing from the MCL tear he should be running by training camp and ready right after thanksgiving.

Personal experience I tore all three ligaments my ACL/MCL/PCL in late November playing sports HS and now I am beginning to do light stuff. If I only tore my ACL without a doubt I would be farther along. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think anyone one that believes Welker will be back next season performing at the same level he was at before the injury is going to be disapointed. The guy's game is his quickness and ability to move side to side, making great cuts. After an ACL injury; sudeness, explosiveness, and cutting ability take the longest to come back. If this was a straight line burner with great height, I'd say you could expect something next year out of him. This is the worst thing that could have happend to a guy like him...Damn. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He only had the ACL surgically repaired,the MCL was damaged also but he let it heal on its own. My only question is did he have his shoulder repaired or is he healing it on his own?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i hope he doesn't return before week 6-8, thus we don't rush him back on the field and reinjure him, while giving Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Edelman playing time in the slot thus improving our experienced depth and allowing welker to come back when we need him (just before the playoffs).  he is a hard worker and will strive to be the best he can be.  I feel that this injury could make him closer to brady, with both of them suffering a similar injury.  Will his loss be felt, yes. will we overcome it, yes.  The patriots are all about players picking up the slack when called upon. Hopefully between Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Edelman one or more of them will step up and get that extra yardage needed for the first down consistantly like welker.  Go Pats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I agree with most of you here - let him take his time in returning to the Pats lineUP until Wes and the Pats coaching/traning/Doctors pretty much know he is A-OK to do so.  The Pats usually do this anyways (take their time with guys returning) - Also, like most of you mentioned again, with the TE's - and WR's already on this team and now from the draft - we should be good to go for a bit!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Well I completely disagree, I want BB to rush him back into the lineup before he's ready and healed.  Even if he can't play very good and suffers a career ending injury I want him playing. 

Sections
Shortcuts