Welker tagged 9 mil+; I say tag and trade,get fa outside receiver and one in draft along with a slot in draft.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Welker tagged 9 mil+; I say tag and trade,get fa outside receiver and one in draft along with a slot in draft.

9.4 mil is too much for a slot guy in a capped year.
    21 mil for 3 years plus bonus max and only 2 years guaranteed.
    yes or no, 48 hours.

if no, trade welker for a 1 and do some damage in the draft especailly at tight end.
    (if yo ucant get a 1 from 31 teams, get a 2).

anyone else agree or have creative thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Welker tagged 9 mil+; I say tag and trade,get fa outside receiver and one in draft along with a slot in draft.

I had said recently that the Patriots Would Tag Welker and offer a deal and if it wasn't taken by a bit before the draft they would move him for a pick or two depending on package offered.

I also said the absolute most I would go is 24 Million for 3 with 18 Million guaranteed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Welker tagged 9 mil+; I say tag and trade,get fa outside receiver and one in draft along with a slot in draft.

Thing is under my contract idea Welker gets paid 9 million for each of the two years guaranteed and earns the remaining 6 million on his contract in final year when he will likely have deminished skills but might still be worth 6 million to the Patriots for vet leadership and depth as hopefully Edelman or a draft pick takes over the bulk by then. If his skills have deminished to the point he isn't wanted by the pats he can try to get a deal elsewhere or retire.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

With all the creativity built into contracts, I'm not even gonna try to write down concrete numbers. I will instead trust the front office and his agent to figure all that out. I just want to see him here for the foreseeable future. He's just too darn productive and between him and the TE's we convert a lot of first downs. Now go get Wallace.   :))

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Wes has made the Patriots short game work.  You added two TE to it and look at all that medium field the Patriots get.  NOW is the final piece, you add in a long receiver and the whole field is open for Brady.  D's can't cover it all.  It all starts with Wes, he makes everything else happen. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It may be time for Wes to move on. Too bad, but that's the way it is these days.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like the tag. Got to love Welker, he is a great receiver and a huge part of this offense. But let's be honest, he will be 31 next year and while that isn't REALLY old, you just don't know how long a receiver can put up elite stats in his 30's. We get him for one more year, and in the absence of an agreement it should be easier to get a more team friendly contract next yer when he will be looking at starting the season at 32.....wide receiver is a need but having him for at least one more year can hopefully let the team go out and upgrade the D this offseason. I'm praying for Mario, don't know how realistic that is.....but a man can dream, no?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You guys are crazy, Welker isn't going anywhere.  Pats will sign him to a 3 year contract before the season starts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Welker tagged 9 mil+; I say tag and trade,get fa outside receiver and one in draft along with a slot in draft.:
    [QUOTE]I had said recently that the Patriots Would Tag Welker and offer a deal and if it wasn't taken by a bit before the draft they would move him for a pick or two depending on package offered. I also said the absolute most I would go is 24 Million for 3 with 18 Million guaranteed.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

like it dablade
    so you are in favor of keeping him
    and 8 mil per yr max (thats what i think, but rather have him for 7 mil or less to use the $ elsewhere-therefore wonder about just replacing him and getting outside recvr in fa and draft, adn a a slot; and spend bigger in fa.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Welker tagged 9 mil+; I say tag and trade,get fa outside receiver and one in draft along with a slot in draft.:
    [QUOTE]It may be time for Wes to move on. Too bad, but that's the way it is these days.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

wished youd expand on this. you aer one of teh few who think this. i go back and forth 60% move on 40% stay at a low rate and 51% to 49% to keep him if he'll take 7 or 8 per yr.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I like the tag. Got to love Welker, he is a great receiver and a huge part of this offense. But let's be honest, he will be 31 next year and while that isn't REALLY old, you just don't know how long a receiver can put up elite stats in his 30's. We get him for one more year, and in the absence of an agreement it should be easier to get a more team friendly contract next yer when he will be looking at starting the season at 32.....wide receiver is a need but having him for at least one more year can hopefully let the team go out and upgrade the D this offseason. I'm praying for Mario, don't know how realistic that is.....but a man can dream, no?
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

iod liek that too. 
    if he wants to come here and take less $ to win a ring, i say we take him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

of course you can't trade him until he signs the tag...details,details, details

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]of course you can't trade him until he signs the tag...details,details, details
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

he already tweeted that today

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]of course you can't trade him until he signs the tag...details,details, details
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

And once he signs the tender, no one is going to want him.  If $9.4 million is too much for the Pats to pay for him, who's going to match the deal?  Remember, the deal goes with him if he's traded.  And Welker is not a guy who would thrive in other offenses the way he does with the Pats. 

They tagged him because they want to work out a deal still.  I doubt the Pats want the 9.4 million salary cap hit this year, so they have a lot of incentive to try to work something out with Welker.  If they can't get a deal worked out, I'm not sure if the Pats would let Welker play under the tag or let him walk.  The 9.4 million would limit their salary cap flexibility, but maybe they'd still want Welker given the Pats' general weakness at the position and Welker's production in this offense.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Welker tagged 9 mil+; I say tag and trade,get fa outside receiver and one in draft along with a slot in draft.:
    [QUOTE]9.4 mil is too much for a slot guy in a capped year. 21 mil for 3 years plus bonus max and only 2 years guaranteed. yes or no, 48 hours. if no, trade welker for a 1 and do some damage in the draft especailly at tight end. (if yo ucant get a 1 from 31 teams, get a 2). anyone else agree or have creative thoughts?
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

You can't trade him until he's tagged.  And once he's tagged, the team he goes to either has to pick up the tag deal or negotiate something Welker likes.  What team is going to take Welker at the tag price plus give up draft picks?  You're dreaming here.  The Pats now have three options with Welker:

1. Work out a mutually agreeable long term deal
    2. Play him under the tag
    3. Let him walk (for no compensation)

Trading is technically possible once Welker signs the tender, but very unlikely since you need a trading partner that (1) wants Welker, (2) is either willing to pay Welker the 9.4 million or can offer Welker a deal Welker wants and (3) is willing to give the Pats something in return.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Welker tagged 9 mil+; I say tag and trade,get fa outside receiver and one in draft along with a slot in draft.:
    [QUOTE]9.4 mil is too much for a slot guy in a capped year. 21 mil for 3 years plus bonus max and only 2 years guaranteed. yes or no, 48 hours. if no, trade welker for a 1 and do some damage in the draft especailly at tight end. (if yo ucant get a 1 from 31 teams, get a 2). anyone else agree or have creative thoughts?

Normal I like your posts but you fell into the "he's just a slot guy" mantra. He's had over 500 catches the last 5 yrs, 4-100 catch years out of 5. No other receiver in the league has had as many catches in any time period during that run. He's more then just a slot guy to this team and to Brady. As such he has much more value to the Pats then any other team. I also doubt you'd get a 1st. If you think he's just a slot guy why would any team give up a 1st for a 31yr old slot guy? I doubt we;d even get a 2nd unless it's a late 2nd honestly. The value we'd get back for Welker could not replace what he provides.

The best thing right now is to compliment Welker not trade him POing Brady and bringing in an unknown. It would be 06' all over again, except with a worse D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Bred,

Do you understand what 3/$21 means? What is plus bonus max? 
    Do you understand the ramifications of $21 million guaranteed over 2 years?
    Do you want to resign Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes et al as they come due? 
    Pats cannot afford the type of deal you are talking about.
    Pats made the right move. They can swallow the cap hit this year and go year to year with Wes. Eagles did same with Vick, albeit much larger $$ than Wes money.
    Perhaps Wes will accept under market value of 5/$40 with $20 guarantee, but still dangerous territory as the Pats look down the road and try to keep their own.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I am so glad you people have no input in decisions for this club. 554 catches since he has been here and you want to deal him away.......his relationship with Brady is one most qb/wr"s dream of and u guys wanna start with someone else....we need a deep threat and we will get one to match up with the te"s and Welker in the slot and we very well could have the best O in the history of the game.....I personally would like to see Wallace of Pitt here......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Why do so many people think Welker/slot receiver is an interchangebale part? There has even been a few threads saying Edelman would be a good replacement. No thanks, I'm with TFB on this one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I would trade him for a pick. Every year the guy has over 100 catches, but we arent winning a championship with him being our # 1. It also keeps us from spreading the ball as well as running as passing to Wes is a , you ready, "extension of the running game"  Im tired of this finesse crap. Run the Dam Ball when you want, Pass when you want to pass.

Sign Wayne and E.Royal. Problem solved.

Use your extra pick to move up a few slots to grab RB T.Richardson(he is a difference maker) and also supposed to fall out of the top ten because(its a passing league)

These guys on nfl network all said they wouldnt take Trent in top 10, but because noone runs a back 25 plus times anymore....ReallY??  Well how come the first signed free agents were A.Foster and M.Lynch??

Get this guy who can make our offense deadly again like in 04'

Use all the rest of picks on D-line, O-line, LB, CB, S

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

They aren't trading Welker.  They'll re-work a deal with Welker and lower that 9.4 cap hit for one player.  He is one of the Main guys on the offense for Pats.  I feel the Pats will take care of him. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I would trade him for a pick. Every year the guy has over 100 catches, but we arent winning a championship with him being our # 1. It also keeps us from spreading the ball as well as running as passing to Wes is a , you ready, "extension of the running game"  Im tired of this finesse crap. Run the Dam Ball when you want, Pass when you want to pass. Sign Wayne and E.Royal. Problem solved. Use your extra pick to move up a few slots to grab RB T.Richardson(he is a difference maker) and also supposed to fall out of the top ten because(its a passing league) These guys on nfl network all said they wouldnt take Trent in top 10, but because noone runs a back 25 plus times anymore....ReallY??  Well how come the first signed free agents were A.Foster and M.Lynch?? Get this guy who can make our offense deadly again like in 04' Use all the rest of picks on D-line, O-line, LB, CB, S
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Jay, I agree they need another effective WR, but I think they should keep Welker too.  There's the technical issue of not being able to trade him until he accepts the tender--and once he accepts the tender of him being difficult to trade because of the high cost to the acquiring team.  But beyond that, I think Welker still has a big role to play in this offense.  We need additional guys who can get open deep and on the perimeter, but having Welker working the underneath zones in the middle with Gronk and Hernandez is a very nice option.  Plus, we know Welker and Brady work together well.  We can't be so sure of that with new receivers, so letting Welker go would be a big risk because we don't have a clear replacement for him.  We just don't have enough receivers on our roster now and losing one of the best will mean an even bigger hole to fill. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Pro, I guess you are right,.

What we really need then is a player Brady will throw too so we can be more diverse.

Ocho came in and may not have been Moss, but he was very capable considering we made it work with Caldwell and Gaffney.

Only difference is Brady HAD to work with those guys because Wes was not here, but now with Wes, who is Brady gonna get on page with?  If its any bit of a struggle, he will just go for what he knows and this concerns me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Welker tagged 9 mil+; I say tag and trade,get fa outside receiver and one in draft along with a slot in draft. : Normal I like your posts but you fell into the "he's just a slot guy" mantra. He's had over 500 catches the last 5 yrs, 4-100 catch years out of 5. No other receiver in the league has had as many catches in any time period during that run. He's more then just a slot guy to this team and to Brady. As such he has much more value to the Pats then any other team. I also doubt you'd get a 1st. If you think he's just a slot guy why would any team give up a 1st for a 31yr old slot guy? I doubt we;d even get a 2nd unless it's a late 2nd honestly. The value we'd get back for Welker could not replace what he provides. The best thing right now is to compliment Welker not trade him POing Brady and bringing in an unknown. It would be 06' all over again, except with a worse D
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

He's an inside receiver AKA slot guy. The vast majority of the work he does is in the middle of the field. They offered him 8 mil per for 2 years which honestly is already overpaying him. It's all semantics. Outside WR are more valuable so they get paid more. That's the way it works. Catches are not more relevant that TD's. Welker gets 10 catches for 100 another guy gets 7 catches for 120. He's better because he got more catches? Silly talk.  I would rather have Mike Wallace and Brandon LLoyd / Reggie Wayne rather Welker with Wayne / Lloyd if you talking 9 mil per. Lets all pretned Welker was killing it on Miami when he didn't have Brady throwing to him..Oh wait..Cassell year right...yeah. Moss  didn't have anything to do with him getting the middle of the field to himself after 07.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I just wanted to add that trading Welker is really a STOOOOOOPID idea...