Welker to Do Well With Broncos/Manning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Welker to Do Well With Broncos/Manning?

I am going to go the Broncos training camp next Friday at Dove Valley...I wanted to Gillette, but the timing did not work....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

lets not forget that Wes and the Broncs are going up against the Raiders, Chargers and Chiefs defense 6 times....pretty easy schedule for the Broncos this year

What??? As compared to the MIGHTY Bills, Jets, and Dophins teams that Wes faced while on the Pats? Virtually no difference in competative levels. My point, again, is that if Wes has a huge year with them, the Broncos balance and ultimately how they finish as a TEAM will suffer....................Thats just how it works in the NFL today. Balance, balance, balance........is the only way to keep NFL DCs and thier D units honest. If nothing else, I am certain the PATRIOTS have learned from the failed opportunities of late. Even great short to mid-ranged passing must be complimented by the obligatory, successful deep ball to keep them effective. Defensive sophistication and scheming has caught up with the sophistication of the exotic offensive schemes, therefore the offensive schemes must move slightly back towards the middle for balance. Its the evolution of strategy and the game within the game. Now, as we've begun to see, the Pats will continue to increase run and deep ball plays for best BALANCE. The Broncos better not get overly intoxicated with Wes in the slot for big numbers because other areas invariably will weaken as we now know too well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I don't think he will hit 100 in Denver. Too many other options at WR.

Really, having two of the most notorious big game chokes on the same team is quite remarkable though.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Really, having two of the most notorious big game chokes on the same team is quite remarkable though.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

Undoubtedly his gaffs killed us. I hold contempt for WW in my heart for those two especially. BUT, as we saw the last couple of years, we simply got too reliant on that one play both times. We just gotta get better to ensure the one dropped ball isn't so critical moving forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I changed my mind about this a few weeks ago.  Even with more weapons I still think Welker hits 100.  I think the Bronco offense is going to be high powered this season.  Pats defense better be much improved over last season to stop them in November.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I changed my mind about this a few weeks ago.  Even with more weapons I still think Welker hits 100.  I think the Bronco offense is going to be high powered this season.  Pats defense better be much improved over last season to stop them in November.

Honestly, TFB, I hope Wes is a focus and does catch 100+. That'll just mean that when we scheme to allow that play underneath, the way others have in order to negate the longer gains from the bigger plays, we will be able to force the same issues on them that we ahve had imposed on us in clutch situation. Honestly, I see Manning ensuring that he keeps it mixed and balanced to deter the kind of dependance, just as Rusty has described lots of times, that Tom did have on Wes, his security blanket. We are all human in that we rely on whay makes us comfortable. In sports, that is an aweful habit. They call it "predictability"BUT, I may very well be wrong...........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

an old thread resurrected....kewl.  I think Welker will do well. Not sure if it will be 100+, but 85+?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Honestly, TFB, I hope Wes is a focus and does catch 100+. That'll just mean that when we scheme to allow that play underneath, the way others have in order to negate the longer gains from the bigger plays, we will be able to force the same issues on them that we ahve had imposed on us in clutch situation. Honestly, I see Manning ensuring that he keeps it mixed and balanced to deter the kind of dependance, just as Rusty has described lots of times, that Tom did have on Wes, his security blanket. We are all human in that we rely on whay makes us comfortable. In sports, that is an aweful habit. They call it "predictabilityfafadfadfcakBUT, I may very well be wrong...........

Oh, I am sure Manning will spread the ball around.  He has two studs to go deeper with as well as a short to mid field stud, that's why I said it will be a high powered offense.  I think even spreading the ball around Welker gets 100, not because they have to go to him, more because they will be able to go to him often.  Unlike in NE when Brady had to go to Welker.  See the difference?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Honestly, TFB, I hope Wes is a focus and does catch 100+. That'll just mean that when we scheme to allow that play underneath, the way others have in order to negate the longer gains from the bigger plays, we will be able to force the same issues on them that we ahve had imposed on us in clutch situation. Honestly, I see Manning ensuring that he keeps it mixed and balanced to deter the kind of dependance, just as Rusty has described lots of times, that Tom did have on Wes, his security blanket. We are all human in that we rely on whay makes us comfortable. In sports, that is an aweful habit. They call it "predictabilityfafadfadfcakBUT, I may very well be wrong...........

Oh, I am sure Manning will spread the ball around.  He has two studs to go deeper with as well as a short to mid field stud, that's why I said it will be a high powered offense.  I think even spreading the ball around Welker gets 100, not because they have to go to him, more because they will be able to go to him often.  Unlike in NE when Brady had to go to Welker.  See the difference?

Sure, but what you say only logically means that Wes is targeted less by manning and has less opportunities. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sure, but what you say only logically means that Wes is targeted less by manning and has less opportunities. 

Not necessarily.  I think Denver is going to have a really high powered passing attack this year, more so then last year and I think there will be many more opportunities to all the receivers.  Look at their schedule, they are going to score some big points, this season with big passing yards.  So I see even more passing attempts from Manning this season then last season, resulting in more targets to all receivers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

an old thread resurrected....kewl.  I think Welker will do well. Not sure if it will be 100+, but 85+?

No reason to start another one!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Not necessarily.  I think Denver is going to have a really high powered passing attack this year, more so then last year and I think there will be many more opportunities to all the receivers.  Look at their schedule, they are going to score some big points, this season with big passing yards.  So I see even more passing attempts from Manning this season then last season, resulting in more targets to all receivers.

You do know that the Pats ran the most, and an amazingly high number of plays on offense last year, right?  Denver better be in position to break records if what you say is right. I dont think they will. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You do know that the Pats ran the most, and an amazingly high number of plays on offense last year, right?  Denver better be in position to break records if what you say is right. I dont think they will. 

Yes, but Brady/Pats didn't have the most passing attempts, that would belong to the Lions with 740 passing attempts.  Patriots were 4th with 641.  Denver was 10th with 588.  I really see Manning/Broncos having more then 588 passing attempts this season.  I would even say it is safe to say it will be in the 650 range. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Yes, but Brady/Pats didn't have the most passing attempts, that would belong to the Lions with 740 passing attempts.  Patriots were 4th with 641.  Denver was 10th with 588.  I really see Manning/Broncos having more then 588 passing attempts this season.  I would even say it is safe to say it will be in the 650 range. 

Ok, so you are predicting that the team who had the best record in the NFL last year, the Broncos , are going to vacate balance by increasing their passing game because Wes is on the team?  I disagree. Only way they do so is if they are playing from behind A LOT, and they have a mediocre record. But, hey, it'll be interesting to see how it goes. You may very well be right, but i dont see it. If they do, I think its a good sign for their competition. Balance is critical for the eventual  NFL Champion, especially with defenses catching up schematically against the passing games As is proven by the fact that the top 14 pass play teams were ALL also rans last year. SF was 31 while Bal was 15th. I'm hoping YOU  are right that Denver is pass happy based on these facts. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

just as Rusty has described lots of times, that Tom did have on Wes, his security blanket.

No. What is Brady supposed to do in the big game, hand off to a run game that NEVER gets the job done at the end of big games? Look for the injured Gronk on the sideline? Play it safe and then punt because his great D will get the stop at the end of the big game? Look for Lloyd to turn a routine catch into an adventure? Welker may have  dropped a bunch of passes, but he did get open. Brady went there because he had to much of the time.

If you're going to echo Rusty's moron philosophy we are going back to the good old days Rally.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

just as Rusty has described lots of times, that Tom did have on Wes, his security blanket.

No. What is Brady supposed to do in the big game, hand off to a run game that NEVER gets the job done at the end of big games? Look for the injured Gronk on the sideline? Play it safe and then punt because his great D will get the stop at the end of the big game? Look for Lloyd to turn a routine catch into an adventure? Welker may have  dropped a bunch of passes, but he did get open. Brady went there because he had to much of the time.

If you're going to echo Rusty's moron philosophy we are going back to the good old days Rally.

That isn't my point, Babe. Tom had developed a tendancy to look for Wes, far too often. Rusty's observation  was proven correct based on the numbers and the eventual outcomes. Balance applies to distribution of passes also. This isn't so much about his drops as much as why we were so predictable and easy to stop. Put a body on Wes at the line to throw off timing/route and the other guys who weren't very active all game/ year were on the spot. Didnt work. In the end, With him now gone, the team will be more diverse and far less predictable than last year. Again, I will always agree with the point of view that aligns with mine, regardless as to who else concurs.  Babe, a team who has become predictable in the NFL will be beaten. Statisti al data has revealed a very obvious tendancy. In a pinch EVERBODY IN THE STADIUM KNEW WES WAS THE TARGET. BB obviously agreed for many reasons but the fa t is, you are beter off with several adequate receivers vs one standout like Wes has been. Tendencies are killers in the NFL once ID'd By the opposition. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Ok, so you are predicting that the team who had the best record in the NFL last year, the Broncos , are going to vacate balance by increasing their passing game because Wes is on the team?  I disagree. Only way they do so is if they are playing from behind A LOT, and they have a mediocre record. But, hey, it'll be interesting to see how it goes. You may very well be right, but i dont see it. If they do, I think its a good sign for their competition. Balance is critical for the eventual  NFL Champion, especially with defenses catching up schematically against the passing games As is proven by the fact that the top 14 pass play teams were ALL also rans last year. SF was 31 while Bal was 15th. I'm hoping YOU  are right that Denver is pass happy based on these facts. 

I do, I really do think they pass more this season.  I think had it not been Manning's first season back they would have passed more last season.  Now with a season behind him I really do think they will pass more this season.  I think they will put the peddle to the metal and really run up the numbers this year.  Heck, with the ego Elway and Manning have you know they want to pass more.  Fox will keep them grounded as much as he can but with the weapons they have this year, yeah, I will say they will surpass last seasons passing numbers.

This is just my opinion of course and I could be totally off base here but this is how I see it.  It will certainly be interesting to see how the season unfolds.  Each year I get more and more excited for the season to start, lol!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

I do, I really do think they pass more this season.  I think had it not been Manning's first season back they would have passed more last season.  Now with a season behind him I really do think they will pass more this season.  I think they will put the peddle to the metal and really run up the numbers this year.  Heck, with the ego Elway and Manning have you know they want to pass more.  Fox will keep them grounded as much as he can but with the weapons they have this year, yeah, I will say they will surpass last seasons passing numbers.

This is just my opinion of course and I could be totally off base here but this is how I see it.  It will certainly be interesting to see how the season unfolds.  Each year I get more and more excited for the season to start, lol!!

You have a great chance at being right, and i do hope you are for the reasons i stated. But i think i am more excited this year than i have been in a long time. All the adversity has me wanting them to shut EVERYBODY up about this team. TOM BRADY WILL BE THIS SEASON's NFL MVP. I see balance and i see focus and I see a lot of scared teams in their path. what a year this will be! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

There is no way to know how many passes Wes will catch but every reason to believe he will be an excellent player for Denver.

I think the Pats O will be one of the top 3-5 and maybe #1 again. But I think the Pats do run a little more this year than last if Ridley and/or Vereen are healthy. This might reduce total points a little, not too much, and reduce total yards a little, but not too much. That might reduce their ranking by either points or yardage but not in terms of quality. And the slightly more balanced approach will reflect a greater ability to win against stronger Ds. - I think a bit improved D helpos that dynamic too -  If we can get the AFC championship game at home we win. Maybe on the road too... maybe. But health will still be critical in realizing those possibilities.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

That isn't my point, Babe. Tom had developed a tendancy to look for Wes, far too often. Rusty's observation  was proven correct based on the numbers and the eventual outcomes. Balance applies to distribution of passes also. This isn't so much about his drops as much as why we were so predictable and easy to stop. Put a body on Wes at the line to throw off timing/route and the other guys who weren't very active all game/ year were on the spot. Didnt work. In the end, With him now gone, the team will be more diverse and far less predictable than last year. Again, I will always agree with the point of view that aligns with mine, regardless as to who else concurs.  Babe, a team who has become predictable in the NFL will be beaten. Statisti al data has revealed a very obvious tendancy. In a pinch EVERBODY IN THE STADIUM KNEW WES WAS THE TARGET. BB obviously agreed for many reasons but the fa t is, you are beter off with several adequate receivers vs one standout like Wes has been. Tendencies are killers in the NFL once ID'd By the opposition. 

The team is very predictable. They will not be able to run when they need to. They will not get the big D stop late in big games. Very predictable.

This notion Welker was Brady's "security blanket" and BB let him go because of that is just football psychobabble. Wes had 100+ catches the year Moss set the single season TD mark, and had 100+ catches the year Gronk set the single season TE TD mark. And both had at least 90 catches those years as well. So Welker catching 100+ balls has nothing to do with ignoring other receivers.

But that's just what Welker does. He gets open. So he catches a lot of balls. He was let go obviously because of age, cost and too many big drops. We all know those facts. This security blanket nonsense is just what Rusty does. He makes things up. You are remiss to join him in that non-verifiable nonsense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

The team is very predictable. They will not be able to run when they need to. They will not get the big D stop late in big games. Very predictable.

This notion Welker was Brady's "security blanket" and BB let him go because of that is just football psychobabble. Wes had 100+ catches the year Moss set the single season TD mark, and had 100+ catches the year Gronk set the single season TE TD mark. And both had at least 90 catches those years as well. So Welker catching 100+ balls has nothing to do with ignoring other receivers.

But that's just what Welker does. He gets open. So he catches a lot of balls. He was let go obviously because of age, cost and too many big drops. We all know those facts. This security blanket nonsense is just what Rusty does. He makes things up. You are remiss to join him in that non-verifiable nonsense.

Babe, sports psychology is a real science. QBs do have favorite receivers. Timing routes on an option route called play when executed correctly guarantees the QB and receiver are on the same page with where a receiver will be based on the DB/Defensive set pre snap. Wes and Tom had exceptional chemistry and were Always on the same page. "getting open" will always be automatic if the QB and WR know what the correct option route that should be executed is and they execute correctly. This is a very complex feature that the Pats employ and that is why so many WRs with talent cant learn the offensive route trees and options and get cut/traded. This isnt psychobabble. It is real and Tom got too reliant on Wes as he was Amazing at making the right decision Time after time.  It is easy to go for the guy u know will be open on the 3-5 step instead of going though progressions. It ended up being a crutch. The other reasons you mention made the decision easier, but what I say is very real and very true. Too comfortable quickly becomes too predictable. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

what I say is very real and very true. 

Any evidence to support your claim, other than Rusty saying it's so?

Logic flies in the face of your and Rusty's notion here. You're telling us our HOF bound QB can't discipline himself enough to go through his progressions. And you're also telling us the best coach in the game can't get his HOF QB to play with enough discipline to go through his progressions. You're starting to sound like Rusty with the "Brady doing whatever he wants and BB can only stand by helplessly" nonsense. BB's lack of control was so bad that he had to let Welker go to end it? Really Rally, that's nonsense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

what I say is very real and very true. 

Any evidence to support your claim, other than Rusty saying it's so?

Logic flies in the face of your and Rusty's notion here. You're telling us our HOF bound QB can't discipline himself enough to go through his progressions. And you're also telling us the best coach in the game can't get his HOF QB to play with enough discipline to go through his progressions. You're starting to sound like Rusty with the "Brady doing whatever he wants and BB can only stand by helplessly" nonsense. BB's lack of control was so bad that he had to let Welker go to end it? Really Rally, that's nonsense.

OK Babe, you are talking like i am saying this was previously identified as a problem and has been ongoing for better than a year and now I am insinuating that BB and Josh just couldn't do anything about it. NO, I'm saying that this last season culminated in a critical mass decision.

This tendancy and predictable behavior combined with age and untimely drop history made it easy to cut bait vs investing the effort and risking the alienation of your HOF QB by going through the process Of addressing and correcting an obvious and learned behavior. It was obviously too much, all things considered. The denial ended in the season review phase following the elimination game where the Org does soul searhing and house cleaning.  I drew my conclusions in the same end of season inventory from an analyst of the game perspective. I did it with my old teams back in the day. I's like a self confessional. They may or may not have even discussed it in season. I expect that this year was the last straw and you will see a change in how this offense operates as a result. Again, BB chose to make the move now instead of reinventing the dynamic they had. Cleaner, justifiable and less risk.

Evidence? Ask TFB and the other WW apologists. it was much more than the obvious because they stiil dont really get it as they are still loyal. If you are looking for an afadavit from the staff, I dont have one. And if you think i'd bet my life on this? NO! Just like all of us here, we are using our own experiences to help with what we think. I believe I'm correct. I cant tell you for sure I am like i see others do, yes including Rusty, on a regular Basis. This is my educated assumption That is derived from my personal experience and education with the game. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Evidence? Ask TFB and the other WW apologists. it was much more than the obvious because they stiil dont really get it as they are still loyal. If you are looking for an afadavit from the staff, I dont have one. And if you think i'd bet my life on this? NO! Just like all of us here, we are using our own experiences to help with what we think. I believe I'm correct. I cant tell you for sure I am like i see others do, yes including Rusty, on a regular Basis. This is my educated assumption That is derived from my personal experience and education with the game. 

If we're going to assume things based on pure speculation I'll take a stab at it as well.

I think BB simply realized Welker was dropping too many big balls in the playoffs. There have been a number of huge drops that really hurt the team. I think he correctly realized that it's pointless to have a guy run up numbers all year only to fail when you need him the most.

If we were only talking about the "butterfingers" drop, that would be one thing. But there have been several more. Repeatedly doing this shows Wes has real issues in big games. And you really don't want thirtysomething midget WRs that have real issues in big games on your team when the contract is up. Simple as that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You have a great chance at being right, and i do hope you are for the reasons i stated. But i think i am more excited this year than i have been in a long time. All the adversity has me wanting them to shut EVERYBODY up about this team. TOM BRADY WILL BE THIS SEASON's NFL MVP. I see balance and i see focus and I see a lot of scared teams in their path. what a year this will be! 

Hey, I like your Tom Brady prediction. 

There is a lot to be excited about this year.  I'm excited to see the defense this season.  I want to see Dowling stay healthy all season.  I really think he has the size and tools to be a very, very good CB.  I'm excited to see what the Brady can do with this offense and a whole new receiving core.  My son is a Amendola fan so it's fun to see him excited about Amendola being a Patriot.  I admit that I am anxious to see where they line Amendola up and see what he can do with Brady throwing to him.  It is going to be a very interesting season.

Sections
Shortcuts