WELKER to get tagged

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

WELKER to get tagged

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/03/welker_expected.html Not surprised, but should have never came to this!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: WELKER to get tagged

In Response to WELKER to get tagged:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/03/welker_expected.html Not surprised, but should have never came to this!
    Posted by NOISE

It still may not come to "this"....The Patriots still could sign him to a multi year contract and the Patriots can use the franchise tag on somebody else

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

That would be nice rocky!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

from what I've heard they won't tag him until the very last minute out of respect for Welker. They could still get a deal done but it looks like he'll get the tag

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

And I also read they will go after V Jack or Mike wallace. I'd prefer V Jack

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: WELKER to get tagged:
    And I also read they will go after V Jack or Mike wallace. I'd prefer V Jack
    Posted by kansaspatriot

If you read it from rotoworld the report was that WR was going to be their top priority in the off season. Then it was speculated that V Jax or Wallace would be a target since they were the top targets on the market. But other then Wallace saying he could see himself playing for the Pats and rumors of trading Mankins for V Jax in 10' nether of them have actually been linked to the Pats

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

your right never should have come to this "2 year guaranteed 16 million" is a very fair and good offer I would go as high as 24 for 3 with 20 guaranteed. but not a penny more.

I love Welker but you can not let emotions dictate contracts because in reality Welker is a 31 year old WR with a 34 year old body when you consider injury history/hits he takes over the middle/ and body size.

Franchise and trade before the draft if you cant get long term deal done because he would bring a 1 next year or a 2 this year in the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Would it surprise you all if Welker winds up playing elsewheres? How about KC? I read somewhere's that he's real tight with Cassels and KC is NE west...I'm just saying don't be surprised if they trade him rather than pay him! How about KC's number one and then they send their own number one to Pittsburgh or San Diego for either VJax or Mike Wallace or even better yet send their number one to Buffalo and sign Stevie Johnson! Revis would commit suicide!Other than that you can expect Lloyd to be wearing a Patriots uniform next season barring a last ditch effort by St.Louis to resign him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Mike Reiss

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian Rapoport

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I hope the Pats hold firm at 2 years.  I know BB won't let emotion get in the way.  WW's skill level 3 years out is too hard to predict.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

your right never should have come to this "2 year guaranteed 16 million" is a very fair and good offer I would go as high as 24 for 3 with 20 guaranteed. but not a penny more. I love Welker but you can not let emotions dictate contracts because in reality Welker is a 31 year old WR with a 34 year old body when you consider injury history/hits he takes over the middle/ and body size. Franchise and trade before the draft if you cant get long term deal done because he would bring a 1 next year or a 2 this year in the draft.
    Posted by DaBlade

agreed. if we have to pay big, id rather get a big outside receiver and cheaper slot guy and spend the bigger money on fa defense and maybe a o lineman

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

your right never should have come to this "2 year guaranteed 16 million" is a very fair and good offer I would go as high as 24 for 3 with 20 guaranteed. but not a penny more. I love Welker but you can not let emotions dictate contracts because in reality Welker is a 31 year old WR with a 34 year old body when you consider injury history/hits he takes over the middle/ and body size. Franchise and trade before the draft if you cant get long term deal done because he would bring a 1 next year or a 2 this year in the draft.
    Posted by DaBlade

I agree with you Blade, i'm not saying to sign welker for 4-5 year - but I'd agree with you for a 2-3 yr deal would be fair.  Although, what Welker could be looking for - might not even be close (as we heard they aren't close).....As we know, which we need to keep in mind, this is Welkers Last chance (pretty sure!) for a big contract, he needs to cash in now or never....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Colston is available, younger, bigger, faster and cheaper
    Welker is getting old and afraid of his body falling apart

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I also like Colston. I wonder how much cheaper though, I think not much.

What would Welker really get on the open market now? We know who's available, it's a deep list. I don't think he gets 3/24 anywhere else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

3 year deal is very acceptable for both sides.  Lets get this done!  No way Welker gets traded.  Having Welker and add another receiver is the way to go.  Everything would be covered at this point.  Long to deep would be covered with a V Jackson, Wallace, Lloyd, Short to medium would be covered with TE's and Welker, this is exactly what the Patriots need.  Just think of all the options available with a set like this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

To nobody in particular,

Vincent Jackson is a dog who would disappear a lot faster than Chad Johnson did, we already have a tightend that's faster in Hernandez and a tightend that's a larger red zone threat in Gronk, do we really want a receiver who couldn't get off a jam and open in less than 25 seconds out there?  I would rather go after Lloyd, Wallace and Colston types at a reasonable price than waste good money on Jackson.  Really go take a look at his career stats again and reconsider...

I love Welker, he has been a slot receiver who played bigger than his frame, make an effort to sign him but don't overpay, Branch for less or Edelman could fill in at the slot.  They should do what they did at D tackle this off season, invite every free agent receiver to camp and whittle down the ones that Brady likes and who can figure the system out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Jonathan Kraft is hoping against hope that Welker and agent sign before the tag.  Nice try, but it's not happening.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Yup, your right Paul K..... They ain't signing anything before this afternoon's deadline now......

I know there wasn't an 'offseason' last year but was hoping they would re-sign/re-up Welker before this past season started.  Would have cost the pats a lot less to keep him around for more years BUT They seem always let these guys go down to the last dying day....ugh.  Then ended up signing Wilfork for good multi yr deal, hoping they keep Welker around for more than just 1 yr./Tag deal. We'll see.... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yup, your right Paul K..... They ain't signing anything before this afternoon's deadline now...... I know there wasn't an 'offseason' last year but was hoping they would re-sign/re-up Welker before this past season started.  Would have cost the pats a lot less to keep him around for more years BUT They seem always let these guys go down to the last dying day....ugh.  Then ended up signing Wilfork for good multi yr deal, hoping they keep Welker around for more than just 1 yr./Tag deal. We'll see.... 
    Posted by NOISE

Reports are that they've been trying to resign Welker since last off season. Might explain all the extra cap space they had during the season (more then they usually keep on reserve)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

With only 30 minutes left, is there a chance they are still negotiating?
    Even though there's a good chance they get a deal done after he is tagged, it's better they get it done now so they can move on with their other FA's and prospects and know more what they have to spend.

Nevermind, some are saying on ESPN Boston, he's already been tagged.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Pezz it's a sign of respect more then anything else at this point. If they wait until the very last hour and were still giving an honest effort in negotiations then it tells a player they a committed to work out a long term deal with them. If they tag then say on Friday then it gives the player a feeling the team doesn't think they can work it out or that they are only interested in the 1 year deal. It's no shocker they'd go to the wire before placing the tag honestly and I think Welker will respect that

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

After seeing the Stevie Johnson deal Pats were smart to tag Welker. Stevie deal sets the WR market on edge and everyone scrambles to relook at WR options at new market costs. 
    Tagging Wes hurts the bottom line this year, but long term it is the right thing to do. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I bet both sides are doing their best to get a deal done for Welker.  In part, I think Welker owes his production to Brady, and he knows that.  He also knows that 31 y.o. WRs don't usually break the bank, even when they are arguably the best of all time (Moss' last contract with the Pats for example).  There must be some common ground figure out there that both sides can live with.  Plus, in 3 years, who doubts that Wes will be playing at CB in the nickel, a la Troy Brown?  Kidding, but this is a chance for him to get paid on par with his production, and I can't fault Wes for trying to get a payday since he was underpaid over the course of his last contract.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

After seeing the Stevie Johnson deal Pats were smart to tag Welker. Stevie deal sets the WR market on edge and everyone scrambles to relook at WR options at new market costs.  Tagging Wes hurts the bottom line this year, but long term it is the right thing to do. 
    Posted by rkarp

It means a big salary cap hit, too.  I think the salary cap issues are more significant than the actual cash cost.  To avoid a 9.5 million dollar salary cap hit, I think they will really want to get an actual long-term deal done so they can prorate that cost over multiple years.

Sections
Shortcuts