Welker turned down 2/16 last season...works out to 2/15.5 for last season and next

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Welker turned down 2/16 last season...works out to 2/15.5 for last season and next

Turns out the Pats were right on the...ahem....money with their offer last year.

Wasn't good enough from the Pats, is good enough form the Broncos. Fine. He can take his money, and hurt feelings to Denver...who lost as the #1 seed. Can they place higher than the #1 seed...by the way some are talking, I would be led to believe so.

Pats asigned a value, as they always do, and stuck to it, as they always do. And, as it usually is, it wasn't any kind of 'low ball' offer. It just wasn't a "let's throw more money at you than makes sense" offer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Welker turned down 2/16 last season...works out to 2/15.5 for last season and next

Well I think the problem is that we just paid the same (or more) for an unproven guy that is always hurt. That doesn't sound like good business to me. If you had told me we could of had Welker for two years and 12 million, I would of thought you were crazy. And if you told me we were going to sign Amendola to a 6 year 31 million dollar contract, I would of thought you were nuts. Both happened.

They really screwed this one up big time today - I can't imagine Bill and Kraft are doing high fives over what transpired today. Denver is the absolute worst team he could of gone to...we will be hearing, seeing and reading about Manning and Welker all year. If Amendola gets hurt, we will be hearing about that all year too. We saved no money by doing this. We lost a reliable player...and a really good one at that. I think this is really going to blow up in our faces.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Welker turned down 2/16 last season...works out to 2/15.5 for last season and next

Well...to be fair, Amendola IS proven...but his health is an undeniable concern. When he's been on the field, he has proven to be VERY capable on a not very good team. I remember the Pats trading for a guy like that in 2007.

Welker's best asset is his intelligence and report with Brady. Now, his intelligence doesn't factor in as much because Peyton controls things and doesn't like option routes as much, and he currently has 0 report with manning. I'm sure he'll be fine, but talk of him as beiing one of the best WRs in football (thank M Irvin) are over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Not exactly.  Assuming he got a signing bonus, more than half of the 12 million is paid this season.  He actually will take home MORE money for 2012/2013, and still have a guaranteed salary for 2014.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

Not exactly.  Assuming he got a signing bonus, more than half of the 12 million is paid this season.  He actually will take home MORE money for 2012/2013, and still have a guaranteed salary for 2014.

Ok, yes. But you're really splitting hairs. I could take it a step further and say it is EXTREMELY LIKELY that had Welker signed 2/16, he would get AT LEAST 1/6 for 2014 assuming no major injury, and the money would be the same, or more. Over 3 years, he will get 21.5 million. However you want to split that up seems to make little actual difference to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

With last year and the next two he will have made 3 years, $21.5 million all guaranteed.  Had he taken last years contract he would have made 2 years, 16 mill.  I will take the option he chose every time.  Not sure what you are thinking here?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

In response to MattC05's comment:

Ok, yes. But you're really splitting hairs. I could take it a step further and say it is EXTREMELY LIKELY that had Welker signed 2/16, he would get AT LEAST 1/6 for 2014 assuming no major injury, and the money would be the same, or more. Over 3 years, he will get 21.5 million. However you want to split that up seems to make little actual difference to me.

I think the important thing from the player's perspective is the "guaranteed."  That's a pretty big deal.  To the fans, we don't see the difference and say "yeah, but he probably could've gotten another 6 in 2014."  And if he blows out his knee, we go "aww" and shrug and move on.  HE is the one who lives with it, and has left money on the table in the real world.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

True. But how often do I see players grab as much guaranteed money as they can...then whine about it later?

On this one, I suppose I genuinely see both sides.

Guarantees are nice, sure. Everyone is different. Flacco bet on himself and hit the jackpot. Papelbon did the same in baseball.

For this deal...2012, 2013 and 2014 are working about the same had he signed the deal last off season, or done it as he did. We can't know for sure until this season plays out and he's either healthy or not. If healthy...made no difference. If he gets hurt...he made out well and DEN is regretting it. We're talking one guaranteed year here. Even in the world of football lives, that's not a huge amount to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

BTW Pats over paid for Amendola... Rams going to offer $4!! A few days ago I post on here that it was reported Amendola's range was $6 mill and people thought I was wrong, that was too high!!  Well hello!! $6.1 mill is what they paid.  BB value scale must be off!!

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts