Welker vs Amendola Metrics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Re: Welker vs Amendola Metrics

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

I said something along the lines of Sid when it's all said and done will have just as decorated career as #4 and I do truely believe that..

I am no pens fan but dude is the best player on the planet by a mile, has been for a while and will be for the next 5-10 years barring head injuries...

Thats a fact your going to have to deal with..

Just two years ago it was an Ovechkin/Crosby debate, so it's not "a mile" anyway. Throw in a lot of really good players who don't whine like a little girl like Crosby does, and it's beyond debatable that he's not the definitive best in the game right now.

But, to seriously think Crosby would even touch Orr is prepostrous.  Orr changed the game was scoring 140 points, more than offensemen!  Crosby couldn't touch that today. Couldn't touch it.

You have a lot to learn about players who came before your time.

Offense men? Lolol dude there called forwards..

Secondly ovechkin was always a 1 trick pony...

Third Sid is still on the right side of 25 and has ridiculous accomplishments..

Too bad I probably won't be talking to you in 5 years to say I told you so.

Right now the point is moot cause he still has more then half hiscareer left. 

What kind of response do you think I'ginning to get on a B's board with this arguement, lmao talk about home courtadvantage..lol

Offensmen, defensemen. Forwards. Sure. I don't really care how calls em what. 

I don't care what side of 25 he is on.  Bobby Orr had to retire at 30. Do you even know who Orr is?

Serious question.

Yes, please start that on the B's board and watch the reception you'll get because it's not fair to others who come here for Pats talk, to be trolling in and out of threads, embarrassed from another, trying to get some kind of leverage back.

Your right it's not fair to pats fans to be talking hockey and for that I'll stop an apologize.

As for you thinking you somehow won or know more then anyone about the sport is hilarious..

You must be high..lmao

Again it started cause you can't take anyone taking it to you whixh is exactly what tfb12 did to you with facts and I was just impressed..I take no sides other then seeing who I think is right and clearly you weren't on this thread!

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

By the time his career is over, maybe Crosby will end up better than Orr . . . and maybe by the time Amendola's career is over, he'll end up better than Welker.  As of now, the two older guys have accomplished more . . . 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Matter of opinion dude... There can't be a definitive answer no matter what you claim for at least 8-10 years...

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Also, TFB12, put this in your pipe:

Around The League's Gregg Rosenthal pointed out after Wes Welker signed with the Denver Broncos that the New England Patriots preferred Danny Amendola all along. 
    The Patriots aren't alone. 
    One NFC scout opined to MassLive.com that Amendola will be an "upgrade" over Welker as long as Amendola remains healthy. 

"He does all the things the other guy was doing, but he's younger right now -- suddenness, route savvy, a feel for leveraging defenders and finding openings," the scout said. "You name it, he did it. ... Watch (the San Francisco game from last year) -- he (stood) out." 

The scout raises a good point. Amendola's 11-catch performance against the 49ers in Week 10, including a 79-yard overtime catch and a long punt return that were overturned by penalties, was more dominant than any single game by Welker in 2012. 

From watching game tape, I noticed for the first time in Amendola's career he gained more separation on routes and was more explosive after the catch than Welker. 

It's easy to forget that Welker had just one career receiving touchdown with the Miami Dolphins before the Patriots teamed him up with Tom Brady in 2007. Amendola has been more productive at the same stage of their respective careers. 

The Patriots' front office saw something in Welker six years ago that the rest of the league missed. They're seeing something similar in Amendola this time around.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153313/article/danny-amendola-better-than-wes-welker-scout-says

Hahaha!  One NFC scout who remains nameless.  Ok!  Well I heard NFL players and ex players say totally different things.  But there is one thing this nameless NFC scout dodin't add was the numbers.  The numbers that I provided you long ago that proves you wrong when you stated Amendola lined up less in the slot then Welker did.  The numbers I proved you wrong when you said Amendola had more deep catches then Welker.  Also, the NFC scout forgot to mention while Welker only had one TD with the dDolphins in 06, he had more yards and catches then the Dolphins receiver who made the Pro Bowl that season.  And that pro bowl receiver only had 3 more td's then Welker had.

See the deal here Rusty is those who comment on Amendola is just speculation.  Just their opinions.  Maybe he can do what these people think he can do, I hope so, but he has not done those things yet.  The numbers don't lie.  And the difference between them and you is you were on record here saying that Welker lined up in the slot much more then Amendola, you even stated 99% Welkerwas in the slot when in fact it was the Amendola who lined up in the slot more then Welker, 85% of the time for Amendola compared to 74% of the time for Welker.  So you were WRONG!  You said Amendola had more deep routes, catches then Welker.  Again WRONG!  You were stating many things that when you look at the numbers what you were saying was wrong yet you were trying to make everyone belief otherwise. 

You do this, state your opinion as fact, in everything you do on here and when people disagree with you then bash them.  And then someone gives the real numbers to you and you go into spin mode.  You are a fraud!  You are a troll!!!

AND..................

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Here's the stat I like:

Amendola’s success rate is considerably higher at 21.9 receptions per drop.

Welker’s 11 drops last season were second-most in the NFL. Amendola’s drop rate (2.1 percent of targets dropped) rated second-lowest in the NFL.

Sounds like BB made the right call

It's a little hard to drop the ball when you aren't on the field to be thrown to. Fact is players with less looks tend to drop less balls, rate wise, then players that are targetted a lot. Notice the highest % drops usually comes from the players that are targetted the most. 

You are correct PatsEng. 

Obviously it stands to reason that the more opportunity you have to drop a ball, the more balls you will drop.  KansasPatriot throws out the statement of Welkers drops comprared to Amedola's drop rate.  Yes, Amedola's drop rate is lower but he didn't have near the passes thrown to him as Welker did.  So he stops there and says Welker was at the top of the list in dropped passes.  Well, he is good company then because as you see below there were some very good WR's who dropped balls last season. 

Welker (15 drops), Calvin Johnson (14 drops), Brandon Marshall (13 drops), Victor Cruz, Eric Decker and Donnie Avery (all tied 12 drops) all led the league last season in dropped passes.  But you gotta look inside the number for the whole story.  It's easy for people to jump in here and point fingers and throw out stats when the stats they throw out don't paint the full picture.  That's where they fail.

Welker had 133 catchable drops, his drop rate was 11.28%, Johnson at 10.29% drop rate, Marshall at 9.92% drop rate, Cruz at 12.24% drop rate, Decker at 12.37Z% drop rate and Avery at 16.67% drop rate. 

According to KansasPatriot's comment I guess since Amendola's drop rate is low then he is better then Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Victor Cruz, and Eric Decker too.  Maybe he should go a bit further and see that Wes Welker, while had the most drops wasn't even in the top 15 in highest drop rates. Just for kicks, Donnie Avery was at the top of the list with 12 drops out of 72 catchable passes, with a 16.67% drop rate.

Since I have started paying more attention to peoples posts around here I am taken back by just how many people throw out blanket statements that really don't mean much when you fully look into the numbers.   None is worse then Rusty, but there are several here who I have always taken as good, educated posters that follow  Rusty's lead here with posting shallow comments acting like they are facts.

See, this is the problem with this entire forum. You are all riled up about something and being emotional here.  

No one said Amendola's drop rate makes him better than Calvin Johnson: in fact, it's a strawman argument YOU are making up. The whole comparison is basically absurd. One is a giant deep-threat, RZ threat type WR, another is a slot-type guy. They are so different.

By virtue of that, you can't even compare. Amendola will never command the deep quadrants the way that CJ can. He doesn't put the vertical pressure CJ can on a defense. He doesn't dominate a side of the endzone. He can't outleap people for passes that CJ can. CJ will get millions because he CAN do all sorts of things that DA cannot. Even if he drops more passes ... the other ways he dominates make up for it. 

That said ... Welker cannot do anything more than DA can do, and evidence suggests he is even less versatile altough only by a little. 

THEREFORE, having a discussion about 19 drops to 1 drop is a valid discussion. They are worth comparison on so many levels.

In fact the only things that muddy the numbers are system (Amendola arrives from a trad 11 system, Welker from a 2TE system) and the frequency of reps (Welker was part of an offense that ran 20% more pass plays as St Louis) and the caliber of QB they play with (Brady vs Bradford).

Those are "facts", but ones that need interpretation or extrapolation in the discussion. 

But ... even if you apply YOUR criteria ... 

Numbers are facts. 

He drops less passes, a whole bloody lot less passes than Welker. This is true by frequency and total number, no matter which way you measure it. It's something he does better. 

His numbers before coming to NE are the same (roughly) as Welkers were. 

He runs deeper routes on average. He runs deeper routes more by frequency. 

He is also faster. (fact) 

He is also taller. (fact)

He is also younger. (fact)

These are facts (yes man, they are facts) that are out there that people look at on balance. There are tons of facts you could look at for Welker too to discuss the comparison as a balance of pros and cons.  

Metrical comparisons, projecting how those drop rates might look if he were in a system where he saw the reps Welker saw is just the discussion. 

Lastly, your "opinion" that Welker would be a better choice is just that ... an unfounded opinion. So if you are going to get on people for that.... shut it down yourself.

You haven't posted a so-called "fact" yet, except one that shows (paradoxically) that Welker actually runs deep patterns less frequently than Amendola, and that his average depth of pattern is less frequent than Amendolas, and one that says he plays less in the slot which is pretty easy to guess because NE runs a 2TE offense 50% of the time where Welker stands where the slot stands but has no outside WR and thus isn't a true slot. 

It's incredibly rude to write people off for having an opinion, when you offer nothing more than that yourself. Rude and unfair and stifling to good conversation on the board.

Lastly, again CJ drops tons of passes. IT's a huge flaw. There was (iirc) a whole article in Bleacher Report debating if some of his "greatness" was due to the fact that they force the ball to him so often. 

I know this ... he isn't on my top five WRs list for sure ... because dropping the ball a lot is a bad thing. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Here's the stat I like:

Amendola’s success rate is considerably higher at 21.9 receptions per drop.

Welker’s 11 drops last season were second-most in the NFL. Amendola’s drop rate (2.1 percent of targets dropped) rated second-lowest in the NFL.

Sounds like BB made the right call

It's a little hard to drop the ball when you aren't on the field to be thrown to. Fact is players with less looks tend to drop less balls, rate wise, then players that are targetted a lot. Notice the highest % drops usually comes from the players that are targetted the most. 

You are correct PatsEng. 

Obviously it stands to reason that the more opportunity you have to drop a ball, the more balls you will drop.  KansasPatriot throws out the statement of Welkers drops comprared to Amedola's drop rate.  Yes, Amedola's drop rate is lower but he didn't have near the passes thrown to him as Welker did.  So he stops there and says Welker was at the top of the list in dropped passes.  Well, he is good company then because as you see below there were some very good WR's who dropped balls last season. 

Welker (15 drops), Calvin Johnson (14 drops), Brandon Marshall (13 drops), Victor Cruz, Eric Decker and Donnie Avery (all tied 12 drops) all led the league last season in dropped passes.  But you gotta look inside the number for the whole story.  It's easy for people to jump in here and point fingers and throw out stats when the stats they throw out don't paint the full picture.  That's where they fail.

Welker had 133 catchable drops, his drop rate was 11.28%, Johnson at 10.29% drop rate, Marshall at 9.92% drop rate, Cruz at 12.24% drop rate, Decker at 12.37Z% drop rate and Avery at 16.67% drop rate. 

According to KansasPatriot's comment I guess since Amendola's drop rate is low then he is better then Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Victor Cruz, and Eric Decker too.  Maybe he should go a bit further and see that Wes Welker, while had the most drops wasn't even in the top 15 in highest drop rates. Just for kicks, Donnie Avery was at the top of the list with 12 drops out of 72 catchable passes, with a 16.67% drop rate.

Since I have started paying more attention to peoples posts around here I am taken back by just how many people throw out blanket statements that really don't mean much when you fully look into the numbers.   None is worse then Rusty, but there are several here who I have always taken as good, educated posters that follow  Rusty's lead here with posting shallow comments acting like they are facts.

See, this is the problem with this entire forum. You are all riled up about something and being emotional here. 

No one said Amendola's drop rate makes him better than Calvin Johnson: in fact, it's a strawman argument YOU are making up. The whole comparison is basically absurd. One is a giant deep-threat, RZ threat type WR, another is a slot-type guy. They are so different.

By virtue of that, you can't even compare. Amendola will never command the deep quadrants the way that CJ can. He doesn't put the vertical pressure CJ can on a defense. He doesn't dominate a side of the endzone. He can't outleap people for passes that CJ can. CJ will get millions because he CAN do all sorts of things that DA cannot. Even if he drops more passes ... the other ways he dominates make up for it. 

That said ... Welker cannot do anything more than DA can do, and evidence suggests he is even less versatile altough only by a little. 

THEREFORE, having a discussion about 19 drops to 1 drop is a valid discussion. They are worth comparison on so many levels.

In fact the only things that muddy the numbers are system (Amendola arrives from a trad 11 system, Welker from a 2TE system) and the frequency of reps (Welker was part of an offense that ran twice as many plays as St Louis) and the caliber of QB they play with.

Those are "facts" that need interpretation or extrapolation in the discussion. 

But ... even if you apply YOUR criteria ... 

Numbers are facts. 

He drops less passes, a whole bloody lot less passes than Welker. This is true by frequency and total number, no matter which way you measure it. 

It's something he does better. 

His numbers before coming to NE are the same (roughly) as Welkers were. 

He runs deeper routes on average. He runs deeper routes more by frequency. 

He is also faster. (fact) 

He is also taller. (fact)

He is also younger. (fact)

These are facts (yes man, they are facts) that are out there that people look at on balance. There are tons of facts you could look at for Welker too to discuss the comparison as a balance of pros and cons.  

Metrical comparisons, projecting how those drop rates might look if he were in a system where he saw the reps Welker saw is just the discussion. 

Lastly, your "opinion" that Welker would be a better choice is just that ... an unfounded opinion. So if you are going to get on people for that.... shut it down yourself.

You haven't posted a so-called "fact" yet, except one that shows (paradoxically) that Welker actually runs deep patterns less frequently than Amendola, and that his average depth of pattern is less frequent than Amendolas, and one that sayds he plays less in the slot which is pretty easy to guess because NE runs a 2TE offense 50% of the time where Welker stands where the slot stands but has no outside WR and thus isn't a true slot. 

It's incredibly rude to write people off for having an opinion, when you offer nothing more than that yourself. Rude and unfair and stifling to good conversation on the board.

Lastly, again CJ drops tons of passes. IT's a huge flaw. There was (iirc) a whole article in Bleacher Report debating if some of his "greatness" was due to the fact that they force the ball to him so often. 

I know this ... he isn't on my top five WRs list for sure ... because dropping the ball a lot is a bad thing. 

Very well said!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Also, it's hilarious that you doubt a number (according to you a "fact") that shows Amendola being more sure handed, then offer an opinion mitigating that number ....

... then have the gall to go on a diatribe about posters posting opinions and calling them facts.

They posted numbers .... then YOU countered with an opinion.

It's downright hypocritical.

Just state numbers, your interpretation of the numbers and leave the namecalling for some other place and time man. We can all be civil and just ....

Have a discussion.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Also, it's hilarious that you doubt a number (according to you a "fact") that shows Amendola being more sure handed, then offer an opinion mitigating that number ....

... then have the gall to go on a diatribe about posters posting opinions and calling them facts.

Just state numbers, your interpretation of the numbers and leave the namecalling for some other place and time man. We can all be civil and just ....

Have a discussion.  

TB12 and PatsEng may very well be Welkie's Hooters wife and his sister.

They've destroyed any chance for serious discussion since BB walked from Welkie 2 weeks ago.

I have never see a FA leave a team with such an emotional 12 year old boy blow up in my life.

So what does that say about you Rusty who has been on here defending BB to no end about the move?  Defending to the extent of lying about facts and acting like your opinion was truth.  All in order to defend BB.  It's time to take down your worship shrine of BB.  Not only are you a fraud but you are a hypocritical, lying fraud.  Oh, the irony!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Just two years ago it was an Ovechkin/Crosby debate, so it's not "a mile" anyway. Throw in a lot of really good players who don't whine like a little girl like Crosby does, and it's beyond debatable that he's not the definitive best in the game right now.

But, to seriously think Crosby would even touch Orr is prepostrous.  Orr changed the game was scoring 140 points, more than offensemen!  Crosby couldn't touch that today. Couldn't touch it.

You have a lot to learn about players who came before your time.

Name one player in the league that you would rather have than Crosby. I'd argue that Datsyuk is probably the second most gifted player in the league but is a ways below Crosby.

You can throw out great players like Stamkos, Toews, Ovechkin, Malkin etc. all you want but most legit hockey fans (as you like to say) would say that none are on Crosby's level unless they're complete homers. Chris Kunitz is nearly at his career high in goals in a fraction of the games. Also,that line is 1-2-3 in the league in +/- and I don't think thats because of Pascal Dupuis...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Have a discussion.  

TB12 and PatsEng may very well be Welkie's Hooters wife and his sister.

They've destroyed any chance for serious discussion since BB walked from Welkie 2 weeks ago.

I have never see a FA leave a team with such an emotional 12 year old boy blow up in my life.

Well. Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour, and Randy Moss ... and to a lesser degree Asante Samuel. There were huge debates about whether those were good moves and it got real emotional then too.

But Welker is up there with all of them ... perhaps more because NE instantly replaced him ... so there is a comparison. 

He is great at playing slot WR, the best in his era really. No one can contest that. But it doesn't mean a younger player can't do the job as well, or nearly as well while offering other benefits.

Above all he was a fan favorite. 

I get comparing them. There are black marks for Amendola too. He's never actually played here, which is always a question mark, when we know Welker can. He's costing the same per season despite this.  Welker's YAC numbers have been better. And Amendola has had trouble staying healthy, while Welker missed one season with a catastrophic injury. Welker's raw statistical output has been better. 

I'd counter all of them, even the injury question. 

1.) Amendola plays a position that BB and Brady have always worked seemelessly with: the slot. Who hasn't Brady made amazing in the slot? From Brown to Welker, with a number of guys in between. 

2.) The fixed cost is less per season in guarantees, but they are filling the same role. In the short term, NE is covered better with Amendola.

3.) Welker's YAC has always been bolstered by the insane number of bubble screens they throw his way. 58.8% of his passes are "short", including an astounding 23 behind the LOS for a 9.6 average, which is all gravy at 9.6 YPC. That is 13% of his total targets devoted to bubble screens that are all YAC. We've seen Woodhead run these with a similar YAC. NE practices and runs the bubble screen excellently. Only 7% of DA's catches/reps are targetted there. It's a huge disparity that bolsters Welker's YAC -- look for DA's YAc to improve here. 

4.) Amendola probably won't be featured as often as Welker was. The shift has as much to do with Hernandez and the 2TE set BB has been trying to build since he left the NYG and their 2TE set. I still see them throwing the ball short and over the middle a lot, they've done that since BB came here. But they will do it less. That said ... I hope he can stay healthy.

5.) No one should match Welker's raw statistical output -- [opinon] I'd rather they find edge guys to eat the reps up rather than criss-crossing TEs and Slots for another season. Go get Emmanuel Sanders or draft someone who can go deep ... throw the ball to them more. But coming to NE should make Amendola's raw numbers improve similar to how Wes's did when he arrived. I could see him having 90 catches, maybe 100. 

I don't think NE wants to throw the ball to the slot guuy 175 times per season. If they had better options last year I certainly don't think they would have. 

If Amendola ends up injured and Wes has another full sixteen ... it's going to look like a bad swap. But if Welker declines or is out of the league the way you expect a 31 year old WR to be, and DA runs through his prime, then they'll look smart. That's the long and short of it.

Otherwise ... I think way too much is being made of the swap. They are very similar players, one is a bit bigger and faster the other shorter and quicker. A pure slot guy vs a guy who can play some split end in a pinch. Otherwise, it just looks like NE wanted to get younger.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Your right it's not fair to pats fans to be talking hockey and for that I'll stop an apologize.

As for you thinking you somehow won or know more then anyone about the sport is hilarious..

You must be high..lmao

Again it started cause you can't take anyone taking it to you whixh is exactly what tfb12 did to you with facts and I was just impressed..I take no sides other then seeing who I think is right and clearly you weren't on this thread!

I attended a football forum and a hockey fight broke out!!! Bada Bing!  Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week folks!!  Hahahahaha!!

That's ok HOTBLITZ, no need to apologize.  Rusty seems to get all bent out of shape if something is said that doesn't align with his warped thinking.  He thinks this is the world according to Rusty and he couldn't be more wrong around here.  If you notice his post count and his many different screen names you will understand that the fraud has an agenda around here.  The dude must own hundreds or rose colored glasses!!  Don't say anything bad about his hero's, he may just whip these out.....

and lie and make up stuff to defend them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Another article for discussion

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582619-breaking-down-how-danny-amendola-compares-to-wes-welker

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Another article for discussion

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582619-breaking-down-how-danny-amendola-compares-to-wes-welker

That is a far better analysis than the FO one offered by TFB. 

It's nearly unquestionable that Amendola is a better vertical threat than Welker. Consider what Welker would have looked like running inside Peterson, he would have been in his shadow. He also wouldn't have gotten that step. 

If you pull up film of Welker's deep grabs, they are all defensive mistakes where he calls for a go and runs to daylight. Amendola will get those opportunities too, everyone in NE does because of the wicked pace Brady runs his no huddle at. 

No he isn't Torrey Smith, but he could be the guy NE was hoping for when they started Edelman in 2012. 

Also of note, as I've posted above, he has more deep routes in his toolshed. The kid runs 50% of his routes past ten yards compared to Welker's 40%. NE is likely going to lose some short catches from the slot, but make them back up on balance from the Hback and more routes to the outside/seam/deep field. 

Sections
Shortcuts