Welker vs Amendola Metrics

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Welker vs Amendola Metrics

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Another article for discussion

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582619-breaking-down-how-danny-amendola-compares-to-wes-welker

That is a far better analysis than the FO one offered by TFB. 

Hahaha!!  Why?  I will tell you why....because it doesn't provide factual data!!  It's all based off of speculation and an opinion.    As a matter of fact, I would bet that you could go and find film and pictures on Welker that shows the same things the writer was saying about Amendola.  Heck, there was a pass to Welker deep down the sidelines last season that would probably be very comparable to what this writer is saying about Amendola against Peterson.  I will have to go back and look at that.

But what is funny is the writer here makes all these points and then follows it up with "Provided he's healthy, there's a chance that Amendola is a better receiver than Welker in New England.

He's not going to catch the same amount of passes even if he is healthy, but there's a possibility that he's a more efficient and explosive receiver."

Key words in there... "There's a chance" and "Possibility".  When your dealing with numbers you have a much better indication of what you can expect with solid evidence over periods of time to support it then just by throwing out a few examples, a few pictures, and an opinion.  Would have much rather stayed with a proven player then one that might have a chance or might have a possibility of doing as good or more.  Oh, and as the writer points out.... one that is "injury prone"!  

Hey I hope he does great!  I hope he breaks every Wes Welker stat in the world!  I hope he is number one in league receiving yards, catches and TD's.  I hope he makes the game winning touchdown in the SB, in the next 4 SB's, but to make crazy statements that I have seen on this forum about him compared to Welker when he hasn't even played a down with the Patriots or even completed the last two seasons is just plain nutty!  I know, we all love the Patriots but come on, really?  It's silly!  Almost to the extent of being sad!!  Sure defend your team but let's be real about it!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582619-breaking-down-how-danny-amendola-compares-to-wes-welker

Hahaha!!  Why?  I will tell you why....because it doesn't provide factual data!!  It's all based off of speculation and an opinion.    As a matter of fact, I would bet that you could go and find film and pictures on Welker that shows the same things the writer was saying about Amendola.  Heck, there was a pass to Welker deep down the sidelines last season that would probably be very comparable to what this writer is saying about Amendola against Peterson.  I will have to go back and look at that.

But what is funny is the writer here makes all these points and then follows it up with "Provided he's healthy, there's a chance that Amendola is a better receiver than Welker in New England.

He's not going to catch the same amount of passes even if he is healthy, but there's a possibility that he's a more efficient and explosive receiver."

Key words in there... "There's a chance" and "Possibility".  When your dealing with numbers you have a much better indication of what you can expect with solid evidence over periods of time to support it then just by throwing out a few examples, a few pictures, and an opinion.  Would have much rather stayed with a proven player then one that might have a chance or might have a possibility of doing as good or more.  Oh, and as the writer points out.... one that is "injury prone"!  

Hey I hope he does great!  I hope he breaks every Wes Welker stat in the world!  I hope he is number one in league receiving yards, catches and TD's.  I hope he makes the game winning touchdown in the SB, in the next 4 SB's, but to make crazy statements that I have seen on this forum about him compared to Welker when he hasn't even played a down with the Patriots or even completed the last two seasons is just plain nutty!  I know, we all love the Patriots but come on, really?  It's silly!  Almost to the extent of being sad!!  Sure defend your team but let's be real about it!

A video still of a guy *actually* beating one of the best corners in the league on the fly on the sidelines isn't a fact???????????????????????????????????????

Now you are just being intentionally obtuse. 

It's a fact .... Amendola made that catch. 

Please show me a video of Welker running that route aganst a corner of that caliber, and against a corner who hasn't made a brain f@rt and covered the wrong reciever or sat in zone when he should have been in man. 

Show me the fact that Welker could do that to Peterson.

Welker was an amazing slot. 

He couldn't run through and past Peterson like that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Or alternatively, you could explain that the video in question is a hoax, and that Amendola didn't make that catch. 

Your choice. 

Fact is: he is bigger, faster. 

Fact is: he ran a higher percentage of deep routes. 

Fact is: he drops less balls. 

Explosive and efficient. That is the argument that begins with facts. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Well, for one ... most of those reps are probably in the stack formation NE loves to use to mask the fact that they really have two slot type recievers in Hern and Welker. So essentially, Wes is a slot, even if he isn't nominally in that setup. And even when they run him on the outside, he's running a slot tree. He doesn't run ins, hitches, etc, just short comebacks, slants, picks, screens, and a "go" if there is no one behind the corner.

Amendola, *does* do more than that from the X/Z position. I can literally show you video demonstrating it.

Also, your numbers are wierd ... here is what I have from "splits" on three different websites for 2012. I'm not sure. At any rate, being targeted just 38 times out of 2014 routes on "deep" passes, I assume over 20, is really not a whole lot at all. Neither guy is a deep route runner. But DA has better potential there. Sure he isn't as quick as Wes, but he is bigger, stronger, and faster. So he might not be "uncoverable" in the slot like Wes is, but he should be more diverse within what NE hopes to do, which is kick Hernandez inside where he can assist in blocking and make the 2TE setup really sing.

Long/Intermediate Passes - 10+

DA: 13 rec 309 yds 

WW: 14 rec 359 yds

Long Passes Only - 20+

DA: 4 rec 138 yds

WW: 3 rec 99 yds

Keeping in mind that Welker was targeted 175 times to Amendola's 101, you have to see, they almost never ran Wes on "long routes" as those three were likely just "go" routes from opportunity (spotting that the safety had completely left the top naked). 

Wes is elite in the slot, and on short routes, but his height is a major disadvantage running outside routes; he77, we've even seen BB try to bring Edelman in more just because he adds that dimension, though Edelman is so much worse at everything else and is injured all the time. 

Neither guy is a deep threat, but Amendola can do more for NE on that front based purely on his ability to create separation after 10 yards, and his height/wingspan to compete outside his frame. 

Well I provided numbers and a link to back up my numbers. I'm sorry if they are weird but thats what they report.  And it is from a legit site, referenced by a ton of media as well as analysist.

The point is I posted and backed up my claims with numbers and references.  Rusty makes comments that are his opinion, they are not facts, yet he tends to treat them as such, and then bashes people if they don't agree.  He spins everything others say is true, he tows the company, he has an agenda here.  

No you mention 3 different web sites, care to post links that contradicts my numbers?

And your other statements are your opinion, yet you are writing them like they are facts.

Welker is 5'9, Amendola is 5'11".  I really don't think two inches is going to be a huge factor here in a deep pass route.  If it was like 5'9" compared to 6'2" then yes, I would agree.  Yet I have seen where Deion Branch is able to go deep and he is the same height as Welker.  Come on, wingspan, separation... If that was the case then Matthew Slater would be out running the deeper routes instead of Amendola as his height, wingspan is greater then Amendolas.

First, I don't care what Rusty says. I'm just talking about Wes vs Amendola. You and Rusty can beef all night long for all I care. I'll say my peice and then I'm going out because it's Friday and I have better things to do.

1.) Mine are taken from splits on SI.com, ESPN.com, Foxsports.com, and Yahoo.com (IIRC they have them too). They are readily available to all. Where are yours from?

2.) There are two components to competing on the edge. Size and top speed. 5'11 to 5'9" makes a difference -- a big difference. Saying it doesn't flies in the face of the last 30 years of aerial football man. Two inches traditionally translates across the body, meaning longer arms, bigger hands, a wider torso. Even though both Wes and Amendola had 30 inch jumps, Amendola is going to have a percieved 4-6 inch advantage (or more if he is a freak) vertically because of this, and that will translate to balls slightly outside the frame (cue SB46 video of Wes being a couple inches away from having an easily securable catch). 

3.) Deion Branch was a whole lot faster than Welker. When you have top speed you can still run deep routes even if your height isn't there. Just like some slower WRs will run deep routes based purely on their size (see Jackson from SD). Amendola is faster too. Neither of them are as quick as Wes but that is a given. I've seen Welker run down from behind by 43 defensive ends over the long haul. He just doesn't have the top speed to generate separation after 10-15 yards or so, he relies on his elite quickness to get a few steps in short and then loses himself in the mix after the catch. No one has been better at that in his time in the NFL. 

It's just a fact that Wes is quick not fast, not an opinion. But if you need numbers ... courtesy of NFLDraftScouts.com.

Amedola 4.58 40yd 4.25 Shuttle

Welker   4.65 40yd 4.02 Shuttle

One is faster the other is quicker.

Though if you have actually watched both players it should be apparent to the naked eye. A 10th of a second matters on routes longer than 10-15 yards. It makes a player more useful on the edge. It is separation. Just like two inches of frame size, which normally carries over to longer arms, bigger hands, etc, makes a difference.

So let's not pretend that he is something that he is not, which is what you are doing. I get you are sore because "your guy" got away. But you are building Wes into something he wasn't. He was the premier slot reciever in the NFL. Unfortunately, NE already re-upped the premier slot TE making Wes a redundant piece, and limiting his value to the team. 

In a perfect world, they get to keep everyone. They stuck a value on him. I happen to agree with that, and have been vocal about it for a few seasons.

What Rusty is saying about Amendola's potential versatility is what every outlet that has a couple brain cells is saying. It's just out there. He has more upside in this system, at his age, as it is run now and how BB evidently would like to run it going forward.  

4.) Also, think what you want, post-non-contextualized numbers .... NE doesn't run Welker on long routes, that is enough proof. 38 catches out of 2014 routes, even if those numbers look really wonky considering I'm seeing him catch about 4 balls a season on deep routes on MY splits, is really really low. 

Heck, Amendola has almost as many 20+ (in the air, not including YAC) rec over the last few complete years in about half as many games.  

5.) They run wierd stack patterns to keep him inside. They run odd sets where Hernandez or Stevan Ridley, or Vereen are split out wide. They tried to bring Edelman in, starting him OVER Welker to begin last season, and a lot of Edelman's time was spent lined at X. Wes has a small frame and is really outsized by even average corners out there.

He isn't suited to play outside. 

6.) And yes, they BOTH have primarily played out of the slot, but Amendola has far more upside as an X/Y combo than Welker, who is basically just a Y type WR. The fact that NE paid Amendola basically the same amount that they would have paid Welker (I know about the guaranteed dollars) should demonstrate that they see some value that equates. I don't assume that value is as another slot log-jam. They probably want to use Amendola the way they've tried using Edelman. 

ZB, your posts are the best I've read all year. Thank you for setting the record straight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Or alternatively, you could explain that the video in question is a hoax, and that Amendola didn't make that catch. 

Your choice. 

Good analysis on your posts for this subject. At this point in time all things considered I'd rather have Amendola. Like you said, bigger, faster, can run deep routes and has much better hands. Welker is 32 and has taken more hits than any reciever in the game over the past 5 years. Having Brady throwing to him might make a little bit of difference lol. My one concern is his durability, but overall I think they have made an upgrade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Your choice. 

Good analysis on your posts for this subject. At this point in time all things considered I'd rather have Amendola. Like you said, bigger, faster, can run deep routes and has much better hands. Welker is 32 and has taken more hits than any reciever in the game over the past 5 years. Having Brady throwing to him might make a little bit of difference lol. My one concern is his durability, but overall I think they have made an upgrade.

If Danny gets hurt no. If he can't get on the same page as BB's offense no.

I know this: I didn't want NE to pay Welker a ton of money. They don't need to invest a bunch of money in a slot WR. I don't care who he is. They already paid Hernandez a lot. They don't need more slot people.

They need a legit deep threat and a reliable split end. 

They haven't had a deep threat since Moss left. And Lloyd was a decent split end last season, but he had a terrible YAC, and didn't get separation downfield. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Time to shut it down, TFB. I'll give you an A for effort, but you're coming in second in this debate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Your choice. 

If Danny gets hurt no. If he can't get on the same page as BB's offense no.

I know this: I didn't want NE to pay Welker a ton of money. They don't need to invest a bunch of money in a slot WR. I don't care who he is. They already paid Hernandez a lot. They don't need more slot people.

They need a legit deep threat and a reliable split end. 

They haven't had a deep threat since Moss left. And Lloyd was a decent split end last season, but he had a terrible YAC, and didn't get separation downfield. 

Agree

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

He he he-Amendola can't hold Welkers jock. Tha should sum things up pretty good.

Just 2 million bucks-What on Earth was BB thinking!?

Can't wait to hear Manning to Welker...music to my ears! Oh and don't worry I'll have a thread every Monday with the stats!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I don't know if it has been brought up already or not but one thing that has bugged me is the excessive conviction of this perceived idea that Welker is indestructable.

While I would never try and convince anyone that Welker has not been more duarble than Amendola, as a whole, let's not kid ourselves completely here.

The fact of the matter is that if you switch the games of the 2009  and 2011 seasons in which both Welker and Amendola got injured then their games played look almost the exact opposite of each other in those seasons.

Just because Amendola had his season ending injury in week one and Welker was lucky enough to get his in week 17 does not remove the fact that Welker still had a very severe season ending injury that , at the time, was potentially more career threatening to a WR than Amendolas was.

The lucky timing of Welkers injury as it relates to the games played stat sheet does not exclude it from the who's more durable and by how much argument. At least in my opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I was never as excited about Welker as some, and I agree with all the analysis about why Amendola may prove to be the better receiver for the Pats going forward. In TFB's defense, however, the Pats are replacing a guy who has been incredibly productive over the past half decade in the Pats' system with a guy who, in four years in the NFL, has had only one season close to as productive as any of Welker's last six or so. I know the injuries and the lesser QB and generally poorer offense he's been in may explain a lot of that lower production. However, there's a lot of risk here that Amendola may never produce as consistently as Welker.  I know there are risks with Welker too--he's aging and one dimensional--but there is a proven track record too.  My feeling is the move is not a slam dunk-- and I believe BB thought that too, which is why he made at least some effort to retain Welker.  I think BB saw the trade offs and wasn't 100% committed to one player or the other.  I think BB is probably anxious to see how it turns out and isn't sure himself which move was best from a talent perspective.  I think we all have to wait and see too.  It may be a great move, it may be a disaster, or it may be a wash.  At this point, only time will tell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

He was bludgeoned on multiple threads on this topic, but his man lust won't let him see it.  It's similar to the BBWs who can't see that 13 points in a shotgun spread base and 40+ passes, the majority targeted to Welker.

Hahaha!  You wish Rusty! You are the one who got called out and owned on all your lies, you false claims.  I provided all the numbers to prove it?  Matter of fact you don't provide many numbers with your claims, that's because there aren't any that supports your lies!!  Don't even try and deflect that by the comment you just made.  You are a phoney!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

A video still of a guy *actually* beating one of the best corners in the league on the fly on the sidelines isn't a fact???????????????????????????????????????

Please show me a video of Welker running that route aganst a corner of that caliber, and against a corner who hasn't made a brain f@rt and covered the wrong reciever or sat in zone when he should have been in man. 

OMG!! It's one play dude!!! I'm pretty sure the best players in the league get burned from time to time.  You act like Amendola is doing that on a consistant basis!!  He isn't!!  I can not believe this!!  Seriously, are you really basing this claim off of one play?  Since when have we been electing players to the HOF based on one play, photo's and opinions?  You guys are amazing!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Once again, here is the thread that destroyed all of Rusty's false claims!!

Oh, and Z, please not the deep ball numbers!  No Amendola didn't run a higher % of deep routes. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/14/by-the-numbers-welker-and-amendola/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Oh, and Z, please not the deep ball numbers!  No Amendola didn't run a higher % of deep routes. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/14/by-the-numbers-welker-and-amendola/

With all due respect. That article is more flawed than comparing Amendola with St Louis against Wes Welker with Miami. 

Yes even that would be flawed but its a lot better comparison in my opinion.

Both WR's would be playing on crappy teams and NOT with Tom Brady or a successful Patriots organization.

I would much rather see and pay attention to that comparison of the two WR's than anything having to do with Welker with the Patriots, TB, Randy Moss or Rob Gronkowski.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You clearly are Welker's wife. Absolutely no doubt. 

Thats exactly the comment to be expected from a person who has been proven as a liar, a fraud, a fake, a phoney.  One thing that you clearly are missing here Rusty is all my Welker talk has been backed up by facts, by numbers while all your comments have been backed up by lies and deceit.  The stance you take here on a daily basis to protect BB and the Patriot way is just plain silly!  People see right through you and your lies.  And you say I'm Welkers this and that, you need to take a good hard look in the mirror, pal! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

You clearly are Welker's wife. Absolutely no doubt. 

Thats exactly the comment to be expected from a person who has been proven as a liar, a fraud, a fake, a phoney.  One thing that you clearly are missing here Rusty is all my Welker talk has been backed up by facts, by numbers while all your comments have been backed up by lies and deceit.  The stance you take here on a daily basis to protect BB and the Patriot way is just plain silly!  People see right through you and your lies.  And you say I'm Welkers this and that, you need to take a good hard look in the mirror, pal! 

your stats on welker are legit....he is a great player and was a great patriot. he will be missed and it is sad that he couldnt win a ring as a patriot....although he didnt help his case in a few situations, his overall contributions to the patriots were very very good. with that being said though, the facts on amendola can be thrown out the window because the guy has never had a future HOF qb throwing the ball to him so we cant tell how he will play. the injury issues are there, but so is the skillset. the man has potential to be great here, the same potential that wes had when he was traded here from the dolphins. there are no guarantees that amendola will work out, but theres also no guarantees that he wont work out. we will all just have to wait and see. as of right now, im optimistic about this team as a whole and about amendola. obviously there are more moves to be made through free agency and the draft and once this team rounds itself out, i think people will be back on the BB bandwagon.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

OMG!! It's one play dude!!! I'm pretty sure the best players in the league get burned from time to time.  You act like Amendola is doing that on a consistant basis!!  He isn't!!  I can not believe this!!  Seriously, are you really basing this claim off of one play?  Since when have we been electing players to the HOF based on one play, photo's and opinions?  You guys are amazing!!

i don't think anyone is calling amendola a HOFer because of that play. if i'm reading correctly, the premise is that he is more of a deep threat and has the ability to beat the best of CB's deep. enough of the non sequitur arguments, dude.

People are basing his deep threatness (is that a word, lol) on one single play, yet he has zero stats to prove he can be any type of deeper threat.  Hey, we have seen several players come into the Pats who have the physical and athletic ability to be a deeper threat or be able to do certain things but it hasn't been the case.  Man, I feel bad for this dude, he has so much hype being put on his shoulder that he will look like a flop if he doesn't do all that is being expected of him.  Why not just let the guy come in and see what he can do before everyone talks like he is the 2nd coming of Troy freaking Brown.  Some of these same people on here did the exact same thing, maybe to a little lesser extent, when Brandon Lloyd became a Patriot.  While he had a fairly good season he didn't live up to the hype and expectations as everyone had thought he was going to do.   This place is simply amazing! 

He has to pick up the offense.  He has to be able to read TFB and know where to be at the right time.  He has to be able to stay on the field, there are so many questions yet to be answered about him.  Like I said before, I hope this guy breaks all the receiving, yards, td records.  I hope he makes the game winning catch in the next 5 Patriot SB's that he helps the team get to.  Hell, I hope he is riding high on top of a SB parade float after each SB Victory!! But let's be realistic here.  He hasn't done anything as a Patriot yet and his career up to this point, well look at the stats.

Sections
Shortcuts