Welker Was Offered An Extension During the Season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Welker Was Offered An Extension During the Season?

I was reading through this (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/02/24/caserio_patriots_preparing_for_next_season/) and this quote really stuck out:

"It is believed Welker was offered a two-year, $16 million contract during the season that would have been fully guaranteed."

It goes on to point how he would make more guaranteed if he gets franchised the next two years, but I doubt that was a realistic option.  The question is did he want more years or more money per year.  If he gets more years can he expect that much more than 16 mill guaranteed?  There seems to be a lot of speculation that he won't be franchised.  Thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Re: Welker Was Offered An Extension During the Season?

I would assume if it is true, he wanted more years then that.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

wanting more years is stupid. Nothing in the NFL past teh guartenteed portion is well guarenteed. If a team offers you 2 guarenteed years for $16 million when you over 30 you should take it.

I think welker was expecting from 5 year 49 million dollar contract. but reality is that would have been a 1 year 10 million guarenteed, and 4 year maybe we keep you maybe we dont contract.

If he did turn down 2 years guarenteed hes out of his mind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I think they'll franchise Welker and then negotiate a 3 year deal for about $18 -20 million total, with $7-8 million of that guarenteed.  If he's looking to get L. Fitzgerald/A. Johnson type money, then he'll have to wait til UFA in 2013 (at 32 year old). 

Personally, I'm hoping it's just a franchise tag and huge payday for Welker in 2012 and then they move on.  They need to start budgeting big $$$ for Gronk and Hernandez in a couple years, and they also need to put an emphasis on drafting and developing legit young talent at WR. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Was Offered An Extension During the Season?:
    [QUOTE]wanting more years is stupid. Nothing in the NFL past teh guartenteed portion is well guarenteed. If a team offers you 2 guarenteed years for $16 million when you over 30 you should take it. I think welker was expecting from 5 year 49 million dollar contract. but reality is that would have been a 1 year 10 million guarenteed, and 4 year maybe we keep you maybe we dont contract. If he did turn down 2 years guarenteed hes out of his mind.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

Except that he would make more money if tagged, especially for 2 yrs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I think they'll franchise Welker and then negotiate a 3 year deal for about $18 -20 million total, with $7-8 million of that guarenteed.  If he's looking to get L. Fitzgerald/A. Johnson type money, then he'll have to wait til UFA in 2013 (at 32 year old).  Personally, I'm hoping it's just a franchise tag and huge payday for Welker in 2012 and then they move on.  They need to start budgeting big $$$ for Gronk and Hernandez in a couple years, and they also need to put an emphasis on drafting and developing legit young talent at WR. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

Why would he sign that? The tag is worth more then what you guaranteed alone. He'd be better of taking the tag then being a FA next year.

My guess is a 4 yr deal (that's really a 3 yr deal) with 20mil guaranteed and a base of 2-3mil in the first 2 years 4 mil the third then 10 in the last. It would be 4yrs for 40mil but in reality it's a 3 yr 30mil deal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Was Offered An Extension During the Season? : Why would he sign that? The tag is worth more then what you guaranteed alone. He'd be better of taking the tag then being a FA next year. My guess is a 4 yr deal (that's really a 3 yr deal) with 20mil guaranteed and a base of 2-3mil in the first 2 years 4 mil the third then 10 in the last. It would be 4yrs for 40mil but in reality it's a 3 yr 30mil deal
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I think that's what the Pats would be comfortable paying Welker on a long term extension.  It's not a given he would agree to those terms, but I think he would have to compromise if he wanted a long term deal.  Also, in that scenario I don't see him getting cut, so I think he could realize getting that full $20 million.  

Otherwise, if he accepts the franchise tag and plays his last season in NE in 2012, then it basically amounts to him getting rewarded ($$$) for his time here between '07-'11 when he was an underpaid receiver by league standards. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Was Offered An Extension During the Season? : I think that's what the Pats would be comfortable paying Welker on a long term extension.  It's not a given he would agree to those terms, but I think he would have to compromise if he wanted a long term deal.  Also, in that scenario I don't see him getting cut, so I think he could realize getting that full $20 million.   Otherwise, if he accepts the franchise tag and plays his last season in NE in 2012, then it basically amounts to him getting rewarded ($$$) for his time here between '07-'11 when he was an underpaid receiver by league standards. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

Ahh I miss read my bad. I assumed that when you said negotiate that you meant both sides would naturally agree to it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Let him walk, 8 mill for a WR? F-THAT!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I bet that SB drop looms as big in his wallet as it does in his head. I say no more then 6-7 per.  3-4 year maybe 15-18 guaranteed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

If he paqssed that up he was wrong. Should've took it. Now he'll get franchised at least for two years. And I'm sure the Patriots will let him find new employment at age 33.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Source: Tag likely for Wes Welker

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Call me crazy, but I didn't think the guy was going to be getting anything over 6 million per year (and I thought that was a lot). I figured 4 years 22 million, with a ten million signing bonus...something reasonable for both sides. I love the guy, but how can you pay a guy 8 million per year when you have two tight ends that catch balls in the same spots on the field? Would it be crazy to let him go and draft or sign a slot guy and then spend some money on an outside type of receiver?

If we didn't have two tight ends that can play the way they do I'd say no to this, but I got to think Brady could take a decent slot guy and turn him into a 70 catch a year guy without much trouble. Add into the equation that he's going to be 31, has had a major knee injury and receives some of the worst hits there is every single game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

3 year deal 21 million total 17 guaranteed. I might go 18 guaranteed but not a penny more for a WR like him. If he was younger or not had the knee injury I would go  5 years and 24 guaranteed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The Pats know, and everybody else should know, that he will very likely not put up the numbers he has without Brady. There are a number of good FA receivers out there this year. I'm a little perplexed he didn't take the Pats' offer. Either that was not offered, or he is hoping for this one last shot at some big bucks from some stupid team out there.

Frankly, the story as presented doesn't make a lot of sense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]If he paqssed that up he was wrong. Should've took it. Now he'll get franchised at least for two years. And I'm sure the Patriots will let him find new employment at age 33.
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

I don't think he should be payed 16 million for two years, but if we punish him by franchising him for the next two years he'll actually make 18.5 million. He then would be in an actual better position in two years, because he can't be franchised a third year and he will be free to go...never mind the extra cash he will make.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

From Welker's perspective, why wouldn't he want more?

The fact is, that the average NFL career lasts 3.3 years.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/15527-long-average-career-nfl-player/

Welker is aging, and due to the position he plays, is one hit away from a career ending injury like a concussion or blown knee.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE]From Welker's perspective, why wouldn't he want more? The fact is, that the average NFL career lasts 3.3 years. http://www.livestrong.com/article/15527-long-average-career-nfl-player/ Welker is aging, and due to the position he plays, is one hit away from a career ending injury like a concussion or blown knee.
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

why wouldnt he want more?

2 guarenteed years at 8 per year for a 32 year old slot reciever is a pretty solid deal.

Think about 3 years ago when he wrecked his knees after catching a pass and cutting for a route. If that happens now, hes done he gets nothing after the frnachise year.

Has a bad year? not going to get franchised again. Getting 2 years where, no matter what happens you are getting paid is called security.

Welker is officially in Rod tidwell territory.

Sections
Shortcuts