Welker Wisely Decides to Play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play

In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play:
    [QUOTE]9 mill for a slot WR? Jesus, what next? 9 million dollars for a kicker? Welker takes way too many hits to give him a long term deal, Welker is playing on a bum knee, Welker is a 33 year old WR. Wes Welker didn't make, what could've been, the biggest catch of our lives. I'd give him a 3 year 15 mill, at most.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Welker just turned 31, so you are incorrect saying he is 33.  A bum knee?  Last season many people said he was faster now then he has ever been.  Give me those bum knees any day.

As far as him not making the catch.. I'm a Brady fan and I still think the pass could have been better.  With that said, how can you tell me that catch would have resulted in a SB win? Do you own a crystal ball?  What if he makes that catch and then a defensive player makes a great play/hit and causes a fumble?  What if the next play was a fumbled snap, int, RB?  You can not say Wes was the reason the Pats lost.  I wont list in this thread all the mishaps that contributed to losing the game but you have to be smarter then you are letting on.. you know there were several mistakes made by others in that game.

Give Wes a 3-4 yr deal loaded up front in case they chose to cut him in year 3 or 4.  Done deal and move on.

The Pats don't have a player on the roster who can give them what WW gives them.  D's respect Welker and thats the reason other areas on the field are open.  You put someone else out there in his spot and D's move their coverage around to other players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play : the issue is his agent has been telling him since teh end of the season that hes worth 10+ mil for 5 or 4 years and the pats will come around. whether he can bring himself down to accept 16 for 2 or 21 for 3, with 2 guaranteed, is a big question.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

You have private knowledge of what his agents have been telling him?  And you have private knowledge of what the Pats are offering?  Is that really the issue?
    Please provide the proof of such knowledge.
    Thank You.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Just another thought ... if Welker does sign a two or three year deal, that might be bad news for Edelman. I know everyone discounts JEs value as a receiver, but the only game he actually got to play as the starting slot he put up WW like numbers with 10 receptions. If Welker is signed for a few years and JE being on the last year of his rookie contract, his value to the team is diminished.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I think this was a good move by Welker and good timing. Before the draft, maybe there is trade talk. No one really cares about him being around for workouts - he is not the kind of player you worry about on that kind of stuff. OTAs, not that important for him or the team, but ... it is a sign of good faith and loyalty to the team, and his presence will be a positive. I think his behavior through this period helps his negotiating position - he never had 'leverage' with the Pats in any real sense so he hasn't given up anything. His comments yesterday suggest that he and the team may actually be pretty close on a longer term deal and signing before OTAs is not a bad jesture on his part. I could see him signing a three year deal at something like 9M signing bonus, 3.5M, 3.5M, 8M - with only the first two years guaranteed. Both sides know it is really only a two year deal, but it feels better than 2/16M, and if he burns it up for two years it may actually be a three year deal - if he is a little less productive, they renegotiate after year two or he gets cut and can make any deal he can get elsewhere.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

if that deal did happen, id say that woul be the deal that saves the most "face" for both.
    good post.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play : Just FYI - the 9.5M is fully guaranteed as of the minute he signed. They could cut him tomorrow but they still owe hime the 9.5M.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification. All the more reason he has little to gripe about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play : if that deal did happen, id say that woul be the deal that saves the most "face" for both. good post.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Yup - face is important on both sides. It also keeps WW in line with Wilfork in terms of yearly money, and I think that is also important for the team (and all the players.) I think they are both 'comparable' in terms of value, age, and being long term contributors.
    People are always accusing the Pats of being cheap, but you look at the FAs that come in every year and all you hear is they 'want to experience this franchise'. So I don't think the Pats' reputation among the 1700 NFL players is as a cheap organization, but rather as a well run one. Part of that is maintain a delicate balance in their salary structure. They don't 'embarrass' their long time stars by hiring the 'new guys' above what they have been paying the 'old guys'. It is a form of respect that I think the whole team appreciates.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

I love Wes and want him on the team.

Different thought for those in La La Land....how many people make $9.5M in their entire lives???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]I love Wes and want him on the team. Different thought for those in La La Land....how many people make $9.5M in their entire lives???
    Posted by rainbowroosie[/QUOTE]

Count me in!  I won Powerball!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

[QUOTE]I love Wes and want him on the team. Different thought for those in La La Land....how many people make $9.5M in their entire lives???
    Posted by rainbowroosie[/QUOTE]
    Of course the other side to that is:
    How many people can say they are the absolute best at their chosen role in life out of all 7 billion people in the world? And what is that fact worth?
    (At this moment for 'slot receiver' the answer is $9.5M.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play : Yup - face is important on both sides. It also keeps WW in line with Wilfork in terms of yearly money, and I think that is also important for the team (and all the players.) I think they are both 'comparable' in terms of value, age, and being long term contributors. People are always accusing the Pats of being cheap, but you look at the FAs that come in every year and all you hear is they 'want to experience this franchise'. So I don't think the Pats' reputation among the 1700 NFL players is as a cheap organization, but rather as a well run one. Part of that is maintain a delicate balance in their salary structure. They don't 'embarrass' their long time stars by hiring the 'new guys' above what they have been paying the 'old guys'. It is a form of respect that I think the whole team appreciates.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

Good post.  I think the Pats get an unfair rap for being cheap.  They'll pay money for the players they think are going to make a big contribution for multiple years (Brady, Wilfork, Seymour at one time, Mankins).  They're just careful not to eat up their cap space with a lot of guys who won't provide consistent high performance for a number of years. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play : Of course the other side to that is: How many people can say they are the absolute best at their chosen role in life out of all 7 billion people in the world? And what is that fact worth? (At this moment for 'slot receiver' the answer is $9.5M.)
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

Mia's on a roll.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

The quote I'm doing the right thing hoping to move things along that WW said seems to ring a bell about when VW signed his FT before finally working out his contract. Maby he has received some advice from VW on how to deal with the Pats.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

I disagree that Welker only has a couple of years left in him. The issue is the Patriots are running into is next season's free agency list for the team. As much as Gronkowski has been driving me crazy by acting inmature, both he and Hernandez are free agents and need to be resigned. The team is trying to look towards the future and save money to try and resign both players. And these are not the only Patriot free agents in 2013. The Patriot's are being financially wise with the salary cap. Only poorly run teams would have signed Welker to a three to a five year contract.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from whipitgood. Show whipitgood's posts

I'm glad Wes is signed. He is great.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

IMO - The key to sustaining NFL Success  :

A) Put the best TEAM together within the salary cap
      ( " not collecting talent " )
    B) Manage your assets to minimize loss.
      Add undervalued players ( mid level  & minimum salaried vets )
     Let your own mid level free agents walk
    ( the ones that want significant bumps )
     Lock up for top dollar only the best of the best.
    ( Welker certainly fits the mold )

C) Target high character / lower risk rookies whenever possible ( captains ) , and don't be afraid to take low risk / high reward shots later on ( Cannon / Denard )

Sound familiar ? ...It's BB 101

2012 has been a relatively EZ cap to manage .

2013 has the potential to be a B*tch.

BB no doubt has a detailed plan for next season -
    probably has one for 2014 , 2015 , and beyond.

It's obvious:
    2013's key is locking up both Gronk & Hernandez .

So...
      My gut tells me that no matter how much the Pats want to get something done to lock up Welker now  - they're not going to jeopardize their future cap.
     ( see stocking up on potential Welker replacements )

As far as Welker finally signing goes ...
      Could it be that he got nervous after seeing Suggs / Phil Taylor / Bowers all suffer devastating injuries this off season and went ...hmmmm ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Just another thought ... if Welker does sign a two or three year deal, that might be bad news for Edelman. I know everyone discounts JEs value as a receiver, but the only game he actually got to play as the starting slot he put up WW like numbers with 10 receptions. If Welker is signed for a few years and JE being on the last year of his rookie contract, his value to the team is diminished.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

Edleman may be on his way out. That bar room incident certainly didn't endear him to BB. Plus, for whatever reason, he's failed to take that "next step" as a receiver. It's also not a good sign for him that the Patriots drafted slot receiver Jeremy Ebert in round 7, and signed FA slot man, Anthony Gonzalez.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]IMO - The key to sustaining NFL Success  : A) Put the best TEAM together within the salary cap   ( " not collecting talent " ) B) Manage your assets to minimize loss.   Add undervalued players ( mid level  & minimum salaried vets )  Let your own mid level free agents walk ( the ones that want significant bumps )  Lock up for top dollar only the best of the best. ( Welker certainly fits the mold ) C) Target high character / lower risk rookies whenever possible ( captains ) , and don't be afraid to take low risk / high reward shots later on ( Cannon / Denard ) Sound familiar ? ...It's BB 101 2012 has been a relatively EZ cap to manage . 2013 has the potential to be a B*tch. BB no doubt has a detailed plan for next season - probably has one for 2014 , 2015 , and beyond. It's obvious: 2013's key is locking up both Gronk & Hernandez . So...   My gut tells me that no matter how much the Pats want to get something done to lock up Welker now  - they're not going to jeopardize their future cap.  ( see stocking up on potential Welker replacements ) As far as Welker finally signing goes ...   Could it be that he got nervous after seeing Suggs / Phil Taylor / Bowers all suffer devastating injuries this off season and went ...hmmmm ?
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Good point about the Pats looking ahead to potential Gronk and Hernandez deals, Captain. All the more reason I see this as Welker's last year as a Pat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree that Welker only has a couple of years left in him. The issue is the Patriots are running into is next season's free agency list for the team. As much as Gronkowski has been driving me crazy by acting inmature, both he and Hernandez are free agents and need to be resigned. The team is trying to look towards the future and save money to try and resign both players. And these are not the only Patriot free agents in 2013. The Patriot's are being financially wise with the salary cap. Only poorly run teams would have signed Welker to a three to a five year contract.
    Posted by PatsGnome[/QUOTE]

Good post!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Umm - Gronk and Aaron aren't 'free' until 2014, but the hope is they get something done early. However, there is a huge list of free agents at the end of this coming year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play : Yup - face is important on both sides. It also keeps WW in line with Wilfork in terms of yearly money, and I think that is also important for the team (and all the players.) I think they are both 'comparable' in terms of value, age, and being long term contributors. People are always accusing the Pats of being cheap, but you look at the FAs that come in every year and all you hear is they 'want to experience this franchise'. So I don't think the Pats' reputation among the 1700 NFL players is as a cheap organization, but rather as a well run one. Part of that is maintain a delicate balance in their salary structure. They don't 'embarrass' their long time stars by hiring the 'new guys' above what they have been paying the 'old guys'. It is a form of respect that I think the whole team appreciates.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

and rare is there a team elsewhere that is able to do that.
    its a nice luxury if you can accomplish it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

9.5 mil guaranteed is more than a lot of players make in a lifetime so let us all shut up and play some football!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chloedancer65. Show Chloedancer65's posts

Great post and responses. I am one that believes that we keep Wes for 3 years or at least 2. Brady and Wes play so well together. Wes really understands Brady and finds was to get open, I don't think he's your average player. He embodies the Patriots way. I'd give him the money based solely on the press conference about Rex's feet fetish, I loved it.... Esp. His delivery.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Great post and responses. I am one that believes that we keep Wes for 3 years or at least 2. Brady and Wes play so well together. Wes really understands Brady and finds was to get open, I don't think he's your average player. He embodies the Patriots way. I'd give him the money based solely on the press conference about Rex's feet fetish, I loved it.... Esp. His delivery.
    Posted by Chloedancer65[/QUOTE]
    I agree with all of this. Wes is a special player with no signs of slowing down. He's a warrior.

All he's done in his 5 years as a Patriot is average 111 receptions, 1221 yards and 6 TDs per season. He's also a 4-time Pro Bowler and 2-time First-Team All-Pro. Oh, and he had surgery on a torn ACL and MCL in his knee and missed how many games?

The Patriots want him back and Wes wants to stay. He knows he will have to take a little less money to remain a Patriot. I believe a contract will get done.

Wes' 11 foot references was a classic. I'm sure Belichick had a good chuckle over it even though he had to reprimand Wes for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiTEIbBPvQI