Welker Wisely Decides to Play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Welker Wisely Decides to Play

Really...what other choice did he have? Wes is a 31 year old, 5'9", 185 lb. (on a good day) slot receiver. He'd be crazy to pass up a guaranteed one year, $9.5mil. deal...as well as passing up playing another season with the Pats', and Tom Brady.

The media foolishly states that "While his leverage was minimal at best, Welker’s only moves continue to be not putting his name on the tender and not showing up"...and try to compare his situation to that of Logan Mankins. But, Wes isn't in as good a position as Mankins was. Logan was in his prime at 28, and a pro-bowl LG. Welker is a great but diminutive slot receiver, on the wrong side of 30:
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20220515welker
    _to_play_95_million_reasons_not_to_miss_games/

In truth, the Patriots would be foolish to sign Wes to a lucrative, long term deal. As much as I respect and admire what he has done for the team, next year he'll be 32...playing a position where a players' production tends to dramatically slip, by age 33.

The Pats surely will not franchise Wes next season. Whether he's able to generate enough interest to obtain a good deal from some team in 2013 will largely depend on how well he performs this season. Thus, by not signing him long term, the Pats are assuring themselves of having a highly motivated Welker, this season.           

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play

Yeah, like I said, BB held all the cards on this one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Welker Wisely Decides to Play:
    [QUOTE]      As much as I respect and admire what he has done for the team, next year he'll be 32...playing a position where a players' production tends to dramatically slip, by age 33.      The Pats surely will not franchise Wes next season. Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    Doesn't anyone freaking get it?? Wes Welker does not have the mileage other starting players his age has.  He really didn't start playing until the Pats picked him up.  Wes has another 3-4 years on himfor sure.. you just wait and see.  Last year he was the fastest he has ever been.  He was second in receiving to Calvin Freaking Johnson, first in receptions.  

[QUOTE]Whether he's able to generate enough interest to obtain a good deal from some team in 2013 will largely depend on how well he performs this season. Thus, by not signing him long term, the Pats are assuring themselves of having a highly motivated Welker, this season.           
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

You would have thought his awesome season last season would have been enough for the Patriots to step up and give him a good contract, now he has to "prove himself" this season???  You have to be kidding, right?  Give me a break, I believe he has done more then proved himself.   His position is important to this team, there aren't many people out there who can fill this position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Welker Wisely Decides to Play : Doesn't anyone freaking get it?? Wes Welker does not have the mileage other starting players his age has.  He really didn't start playing until the Pats picked him up.  Wes has another 3-4 years on himfor sure.. you just wait and see.  Last year he was the fastest he has ever been.  He was second in receiving to Calvin Freaking Johnson, first in receptions.   You would have thought his awesome season last season would have been enough for the Patriots to step up and give him a good contract, now he has to "prove himself" this season???  You have to be kidding, right?  Give me a break, I believe he has done more then proved himself.   His position is important to this team, there aren't many people out there who can fill this position.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

I strongly disagree with your premise that Welker has many good years left. I see him fading by age 33. Plus, at his size and position, I don't see him to be worth a lucrative long term deal.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Welker Wisely Decides to Play : Doesn't anyone freaking get it?? Wes Welker does not have the mileage other starting players his age has.  He really didn't start playing until the Pats picked him up.  Wes has another 3-4 years on himfor sure.. you just wait and see.  Last year he was the fastest he has ever been.  He was second in receiving to Calvin Freaking Johnson, first in receptions.   You would have thought his awesome season last season would have been enough for the Patriots to step up and give him a good contract, now he has to "prove himself" this season???  You have to be kidding, right?  Give me a break, I believe he has done more then proved himself.   His position is important to this team, there aren't many people out there who can fill this position.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

I understand the love of Welker. I love the guy too. But BB isn't going to reward him for past services with a big contract. He will pay him for what he expects from a 31 year old midget in the next few years and no more.

I fully expect Wes to get through the season without being cut and pocketing $9 mil. I just don't get all teary over multi-millionaires having a few less multi-millions than they might otherwise have.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

9 mill for a slot WR? Jesus, what next? 9 million dollars for a kicker?

Welker takes way too many hits to give him a long term deal, Welker is playing on a bum knee, Welker is a 33 year old WR.

Wes Welker didn't make, what could've been, the biggest catch of our lives. I'd give him a 3 year 15 mill, at most.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

WELKER SIGNED!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play : I understand the love of Welker. I love the guy too. But BB isn't going to reward him for past services with a big contract. He will pay him for what he expects from a 31 year old midget in the next few years and no more. I fully expect Wes to get through the season without being cut and pocketing $9 mil. I just don't get all teary over multi-millionaires having a few less multi-millions than they might otherwise have.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]
    Just FYI - the 9.5M is fully guaranteed as of the minute he signed. They could cut him tomorrow but they still owe hime the 9.5M.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]9 mill for a slot WR? Jesus, what next? 9 million dollars for a kicker? Welker takes way too many hits to give him a long term deal, Welker is playing on a bum knee, Welker is a 33 year old WR. Wes Welker didn't make, what could've been, the biggest catch of our lives and he muffed it.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

31 and came back faster last year than he's ever been on his repaired, not bum knee.  Biggest catch of our lives?  Please.  Didn't Branch drop 3 and one on the very last drive?  Funny, no mention of that.
     Please state facts and leave out prejudices.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE]9 mill for a slot WR? Jesus, what next? 9 million dollars for a kicker? Welker takes way too many hits to give him a long term deal, Welker is playing on a bum knee, Welker is a 33 year old WR. Wes Welker didn't make, what could've been, the biggest catch of our lives and he muffed it.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

No offense 49Patriot but...

Were you not old enough to follow the Patriots at the beginning of the last decade ?
       There's been MANY big catches in Patriots history.

Just off the top of my head /> Troy Brown's 20 yard crossing pattern at the end of the Rams SB ... Vrabels 4th quarter SB td vs the Panthers .

The Brady pass could have been caught ... it also could have been thrown truer ...
     Geez , even if its completed  -there also could have been a fumble on the very next play ...alas we will never know.

Bottom line :
     Wes Welker was a major contributor to the Patriots getting into a position to be 2011 NFL Champions .

One incomplete pass does not take away from that fact.

As hard as it may be to do ...

Get over it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

what has been left unsaid seems to be the fact that Wes can now also be traded. Pats could not trade him until he signed...
    I dont expect a trade, but with the current depth Pats have done stranger things.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

How far out on a limb would I be if I said Welker's signing the tender means a new deal is all but done?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE]what has been left unsaid seems to be the fact that Wes can now also be traded. Pats could not trade him until he signed... I dont expect a trade, but with the current depth Pats have done stranger things.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Wes being traded was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw he signed...
    Especially after his Twitter message about " doing the right thing providing the right results " .
      Very ambiguous statement -
    At first blush it appears he's talkin about gettin' a longer term contract done - but it could also be a reference to his being Pats property again and thus being  vulnerable to their wishes via a possible trade .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]How far out on a limb would I be if I said Welker's signing the tender means a new deal is all but done?
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

He did state yesterday that he thought he and the Pats were on the same page, so I don't think that's going out on a limb at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Welker's leverage might have been in the range of $20,000 to $100,000.  He could hold out until June, skipping mini-camp and workouts, or Kraft could pay him a little more and he'd show up.  I don't know what the Kraft family's arguments were against paying him a bit of a bump.  Either "it would set a bad precedent for future negotiations" (which is often baloney, just pay people what they're worth), or the Krafts were sure that Welker would show up in good shape anyways.  Workout bonuses only work with overweight rookies who need the discipline.

In any case, either the Krafts secretly promised Welker a cookie or else Welker said, what the heck, we're only $20,000 apart and the goodwill is worth more than that.  My guess is that Welker got a cookie and signed.  Perhaps he gets to miss more Patriots practices this fall without penalty.  Maybe Wes doesn't have to study film on Revis one more time.  We'll never know, and Welker looks happy.

Welker already had a "big" payday contract in 2007 back when he was average, and the Patriots were the good guys.  Miami offered Welker $1.35 million for 1 year as a restricted free agent, take it or leave it crumb.  From the Patriots, Welker got an offer of $18 million with $5 million up front and an escape clause after 1 year (not used), and Miami decided that Welker wasn't worth all that.

In the Where Are They Now department, Miami got a second round choice for Welker.  They selected Samson Satele, who started with Miami for two seasons but then was traded away for a sixth round pick in 2009 to the Oakland Raiders.  Satele is currently with the Colts. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Welker's leverage might have been in the range of $20,000 to $100,000.  He could hold out until June, skipping mini-camp and workouts, or Kraft could pay him a little more and he'd show up.  I don't know what the Kraft family's arguments were against paying him a bit of a bump.  Either "it would set a bad precedent for future negotiations" (which is often baloney, just pay people what they're worth), or the Krafts were sure that Welker would show up in good shape anyways.

RESPONSE: Welker doesn't want a bit of a bump. He's looking for a lucrative, long term deal. But, he's a smart guy. He knows the score.

Workout bonuses only work with overweight rookies who need the discipline. In any case, either the Krafts secretly promised Welker a cookie or else Welker said, what the heck, we're only $20,000 apart and the goodwill is worth more than that.  My guess is that Welker got a cookie and signed.  Perhaps he gets to miss more Patriots practices this fall without penalty.  Maybe Wes doesn't have to study film on Revis one more time.  We'll never know, and Welker looks happy.

RESPONSE: I'd be happy, too, to earn $9.5mil. for a season.

Welker already had a "big" payday contract in 2007 back when he was average, and the Patriots were the good guys.  Miami offered Welker $1.35 million for 1 year as a restricted free agent, take it or leave it crumb.  From the Patriots, Welker got an offer of $18 million with $5 million up front and an escape clause after 1 year (not used), and Miami decided that Welker wasn't worth all that.

RESPONSE: I think it's fair to say that, as good as "The Wild, Wild Wes" is, he wouldn't have been nearly as productive playing in Miami, with a QB not nearly of the caliber of Tom Brady.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play : Wes being traded was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw he signed... Especially after his Twitter message about " doing the right thing providing the right results " .   Very ambiguous statement - At first blush it appears he's talkin about gettin' a longer term contract done - but it could also be a reference to his being Pats property again and thus being  vulnerable to their wishes via a possible trade .
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

If he has signed his tender prior to the April draft, he might have been traded. But, he won't be now. He'll be highly motivated, as he'll be playing with an eye towards scoring a big contract next season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play :      If he has signed his tender prior to the April draft, he might have been traded. But, he won't be now.
    That's a good point!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I hope he invests some of that money in a Juggs Machine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Welker Wisely Decides to Play:
    [QUOTE]     Really...what other choice did he have? Wes is a 31 year old, 5'9", 185 lb. (on a good day) slot receiver. He'd be crazy to pass up a guaranteed one year, $9.5mil. deal...as well as passing up playing another season with the Pats', and Tom Brady.        The media foolishly states that "While his leverage was minimal at best, Welker’s only moves continue to be not putting his name on the tender and not showing up"...and try to compare his situation to that of Logan Mankins. But, Wes isn't in as good a position as Mankins was. Logan was in his prime at 28, and a pro-bowl LG. Welker is a great but diminutive slot receiver, on the wrong side of 30: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20220515welker _to_play_95_million_reasons_not_to_miss_games/      In truth, the Patriots would be foolish to sign Wes to a lucrative, long term deal. As much as I respect and admire what he has done for the team, next year he'll be 32...playing a position where a players' production tends to dramatically slip, by age 33.      The Pats surely will not franchise Wes next season. Whether he's able to generate enough interest to obtain a good deal from some team in 2013 will largely depend on how well he performs this season. Thus, by not signing him long term, the Pats are assuring themselves of having a highly motivated Welker, this season.           

this is what ive been saying since last year. though as you hear it, the 2 sides ARE trying to work out a long-term deal. i would pay 7 mil 3 years, frist 2 guaranteed. hes already turned down 2 yr 16 mil guaranteed. so.....

do you think the pats are shrewd enough to actually give him 9.5 for a year and let him walk if he won't take the 2 yrs 16 mil?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

If he has signed his tender prior to the April draft, he might have been traded. But, he won't be now. "

i was also on that for the last few months. asked for comment. no one at the time was taking.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I would not be surprised if they sign a multi year contract with Welker. I agree that the Pats do not want to go out too far in years on a contract considering his age. But two years is not out of the question. Three if the price is right but I am not sure how that will work.

In any case this is the best place for Welker and Welker is the best fit for what the Pats and TB need in a slot. He is on the very same wavelength as TB. Not something you can trade for or draft with any assurity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I would not be surprised if they sign a multi year contract with Welker. I agree that the Pats do not want to go out too far in years on a contract considering his age. But two years is not out of the question. Three if the price is right but I am not sure how that will work. In any case this is the best place for Welker and Welker is the best fit for what the Pats and TB need in a slot. He is on the very same wavelength as TB. Not something you can trade for or draft with any assurity.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

the issue is his agent has been telling him since teh end of the season that hes worth 10+ mil for 5 or 4 years and the pats will come around. whether he can bring himself down to accept 16 for 2 or 21 for 3, with 2 guaranteed, is a big question.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think this was a good move by Welker and good timing. Before the draft, maybe there is trade talk. No one really cares about him being around for workouts - he is not the kind of player you worry about on that kind of stuff. OTAs, not that important for him or the team, but ... it is a sign of good faith and loyalty to the team, and his presence will be a positive.
    I think his behavior through this period helps his negotiating position - he never had 'leverage' with the Pats in any real sense so he hasn't given up anything. His comments yesterday suggest that he and the team may actually be pretty close on a longer term deal and signing before OTAs is not a bad jesture on his part.
    I could see him signing a three year deal at something like 9M signing bonus, 3.5M, 3.5M, 8M - with only the first two years guaranteed. Both sides know it is really only a two year deal, but it feels better than 2/16M, and if he burns it up for two years it may actually be a three year deal - if he is a little less productive, they renegotiate after year two or he gets cut and can make any deal he can get elsewhere.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Smart decision by Welker

Sections
Shortcuts