Welker Wisely Decides to Play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play

I'm not saying I'd sign him to a 4 year 40 million dollar deal, but I'm glad the guy is getting his 9 million this year because in all honesty...what else are we going to do with the money? We already are 15 million under the cap after Light's retirement and we didn't go after any big name free agents this off season - someone should get the cash - why not him?

I'd love to see the guy catch another 100 passes next year and be in position to get paid big again. The guy deserves it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play :      Edleman may be on his way out. That bar room incident certainly didn't endear him to BB. Plus, for whatever reason, he's failed to take that "next step" as a receiver. It's also not a good sign for him that the Patriots drafted slot receiver Jeremy Ebert in round 7, and signed FA slot man, Anthony Gonzalez.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

I agree, and if we had more at receiver last year, he would of been gone then. The guy doesn't catch the ball cleanly or consistently. I've seen the guy play several times - he fights the ball and gets up limping half the time he's out there. Don't get me wrong, he's quick and has nice feet, but he doesn't have deep speed or receiving skills.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Thanks Wes. Hey let me know when you're back in Oklahoma City, I'd like to shake your hand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Patriots wisely decide to pay Wes. And lets hope at least a 3 year contract is on the way. Everyone is better with Wes on the field. His stats speak for themselves.
    He's simply the best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not saying I'd sign him to a 4 year 40 million dollar deal, but I'm glad the guy is getting his 9 million this year because in all honesty...what else are we going to do with the money? We already are 15 million under the cap after Light's retirement and we didn't go after any big name free agents this off season - someone should get the cash - why not him? I'd love to see the guy catch another 100 passes next year and be in position to get paid big again. The guy deserves it.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I agree, and also don't have a problem with Wes getting paid the $9.5mil. for the 2012 season. He's earned it. If he stays healthy this year, I'm sure he'll have another fine season. But...next year, he'll be gone. At age 32, it doesn't make sense to sign him to a lucrative three year deal. Plus, the Pats must sign Gronk and Hernandez to long term deals next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]9.5 mil guaranteed is more than a lot of players make in a lifetime so let us all shut up and play some football!!!
    Posted by LittleTimmy31[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but gee...he might suffer a concussion. But, I'm willing to bet ya' that Wes will risk it, for $9.5mil..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

As I've been saying, the Pats were wise not to offer Welker a 3 year, big money deal. Now, they'll have a highly motivated Welker ready to go in 2012...in what will likely be his last season as a Patriot: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/17/patriots-now-offering-welker-less-than-they-offered-last-year/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Once again, the media is making a mountain out of a mole hill with the revelation that the Pats have offered Wes Welker less than the previously offered $16mil. over two seasons, subsequent to Welker signing his $9.5mil. tender. This is just another "Patriots are cheap and unfair" story.

Is this really a surprise? The 5'9", 180 lb (on a good day), 31 year old slot receiver has, despite his great production, benefited immeasurably from playing with perhaps the greatest QB of all-time, and playing for perhaps the greatest coach of all-time. Paying Welker $9.5mil. for one year's work is more than half of the $16mil. offered. So...why wouldn't the Pats' offer him less, when they've already made the determination that Wes has perhaps two good years left, before his skills begin to erode?

This alleged notion put out by Welker or his agent that he took an "enormous leap of faith" in signing his one year tender, in hopes of getting a lucrative long term deal, is BS. Wes took it because he knew that it was his best option:  http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/05/18/wes_welker_doesnt_see_progress_in_contract_talks_with_patriots/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+New+England+Patriots+news

Paying players for past performances is bad business, especially when playing under a hard salary cap.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Wes should've took the 16 mil. WTFk? Dude's good, but there are 20 guys out there that can replace him at a cheaper cost.

Don't play poker with BB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the Pats took the bigger deal off the table to end negotiations and move on.  

They were at a stalemate because Wes wanted a bigger long-term deal but the Pats weren't going to offer that. And in the absence of a longer term deal, Wes was probably always going to choose the 9.5 million one-year deal over the 16 million two-year deal. While the 16 million deal provided some security, it also may have made it more difficult for Welker to get a big free agent deal in the future (his value in the free agent market is likely much higher next year than two years from now).  If he took the 16 mil deal, he may have hurt his chances to get a big free agent package in the future.  So he traded some security (16 million now) for the chance for more money next year.  Remember, with 9.5 guaranteed this year, he just needs to negotiate 7 million in guarantees as a free agent next year to beat the Pats 16 million deal.  I think Welker thinks he's got a decent chance of doing that which is why the 9.5 one-year deal was probably always more attractive to him than the 16 million two-year deal.

The Pats probably understood where Welker's head was and just lowered their offer to end what were becoming pointless negotiations and get Welker to sign what he was probably going to sign anyway (the tag) so that they can all move on and get started with OTAs and camp . . .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Pats took the bigger deal off the table to end negotiations and move on.   Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Agents, who "claim" to be looking out for the player, is looking out more for what their cut is going to be, IMHO.  The player may be totally out of the loop and it is their agent who ticks off the team with their demands.  The player thinks the agent may have it under control while the agent does not want to admit to the player they may have screwed the pooch.  Welker should have been signed by now!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

As I've been saying, there's no problem with Wes. He's a smart guy, who knows the score: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/19/wes-welker-backtracks-on-claims-about-patriots-contract-offer/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Welker announcing that he's happy about earning his $9.5mil. in 2012, and him saying that his contract situation is "no big deal", will put an end to the Boston media attempts, to make it an issue: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20220520not_a_big_dealto_wes_willie/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It's incredible that guys who make a living covering the Pats know so little about football, the Pats' team building philosophy, and why they make the business decisions that they do. Check out this ridiculous article by Mazz, dated 5-18-12, on the Welker situation: http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2012/05/patriots_playing_mysterious_ga.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an excellent article explaining why the Patriots are right in not offering Wes Welker a lucrative, multi-year deal: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8293c6f5/article/three-reasons-patriots-shouldnt-break-the-bank-for-wes-welker?module=HP11_cp

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

thanks tex,
          i pointed these things out during the year last year. were a lot of people who relied that they did not agree.
    ideally i wouldnt want to pay more than 5 mil for a slot wr.

i offered that all things considered i hoped they could get him for 7 mil for 3 years, but they might have to go 8 (could see them going 9 but i thought that was too high). also offered at one moment maybe its time to cut bait.

if we drafted wrs slot and outside in draft (higher than ebert), maybe coulda done that.

as it is, getting him on a 7 or 8 year contract regardless the # of years, but with only 1 (maybe 2 guaranteed) seems to be the ay to go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]thanks tex,       i pointed these things out during the year last year. were a lot of people who relied that they did not agree. ideally i wouldnt want to pay more than 5 mil for a slot wr. i offered that all things considered i hoped they could get him for 7 mil for 3 years, but they might have to go 8 (could see them going 9 but i thought that was too high). also offered at one moment maybe its time to cut bait. if we drafted wrs slot and outside in draft (higher than ebert), maybe coulda done that. as it is, getting him on a 7 or 8 year contract regardless the # of years, but with only 1 (maybe 2 guaranteed) seems to be the ay to go.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Though Welker is terrific at what he does, don't you sense that he's much easier to replace then, say, a legitimate #1 WR, like Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald? Usually, the Fitzgeralds and Johnsons of this world are first round draft choices. Rarely do you find a #1 WR in the later rounds. Yet, slot receivers are seemingly always available in rounds 4-7, and/or as priority free agents...as was the case with Wes, and that royal pain in the neck, Brandon Stokley (4th round pick).   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker Wisely Decides to Play :      Though Welker is terrific at what he does, don't you sense that he's much easier to replace then, say, a legitimate #1 WR, like Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald? Usually, the Fitzgeralds and Johnsons of this world are first round draft choices. Rarely do you find a #1 WR in the later rounds. Yet, slot receivers are seemingly always available in rounds 4-7, and/or as priority free agents...as was the case with Wes, and that royal pain in the neck, Brandon Stokley (4th round pick).   
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

yes tex,
    i was making this point (your point above) last year during the season about welker, and as i said, folks were not agreeing

Sections
Shortcuts