Welker's Agent Screwed Up

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: Welker's Agent Screwed Up

Welker wanted to stick it to the Pats... either that or he completely got fleeced by Denver. Or, as I think is more likely, he turned down more money and left the Pats due to a bruised ego.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Where did you find this info Rusty?

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It's always good to get down into the weeds on these things as the dust begins to settle.  Perhaps at some point the vilification of BB (not that he gives much of a sh1t) over this deal will finally fade away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Just wish Welker signed that 2 yr, 16 mil all guarenteed when Pats offered him this.  He declined it though. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hey Rusty, Imagine this!!  Another Welker thread from a guy who keeps complaining about people spamming the forum boards with Welker threads.  Well done, Chief!

The guy want's to play.  Its a much higher possibility he will get a ton of playing time in Denver compared to the big possibility to once again being phased out with the Pats.  The writing on the wall was there at the begining of last season when they kicked off the season with Edelman in the slot and it looking a lot like he was going to be phased out last season.  Sure glad they kept him around last season because their "phase out" plans backfired on them big time.

So they bring in Amendola a day ahead of Welker making a decision on what to do, what would you do if you love playing the game?  Sit there all season watching them once again try and phase you out or go somewhere that you will be a big part of the offense?  It's a no brainer for me.  That's why they are in the NFL, to play the game.  His skills are much to great to be on the bench getting "phased out" instead of being used properly.  Moving on to Denver was the right choice for him.  Apparently the right choice for the Pats was to bring in an often injured player to take over.  Moving on to play for a team that is going to use you as a big part of their offense was apparently the right thing for Welker to do...  It goes both ways.

At the end of the day none of us know what is going to happen this coming season, it could turn out where both sides made great decisions or it may end up where one side made the better decision. We don't know... yet!  All we can go by is speculation.  And usually a good judge of what is going to happen in the future is to see what has happened in the past.  Based on that, I am a bit worried the Pats still are the ones who made the mistake.  Time will tell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I have to agree with Rusty on this though.

Fans like to blame the team or the player in these dealings but the reality is the player is paying an agent to look out for his best interests finacially and these agents rarely get the blame when they read the market incorrectly.

I believe the Pats already had a contingency plan set up ( Amendola) in case they felt like Wes was ready to bolt.  When Wes went to Denver,  they jumped on DA before some other team scooped him up.  Good business by the Pats.  Bad business by Welker's agent.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

TFB12,

You're missing the point:

Once Welker rejected the 16 mil guaranteed last year, BB was ready to tag Welker for 1 more year and then move on.

Welker was gone the second the clock struck 00:00 in the AFC Title game. They like Amendola, see the youth as a factor, and buy on the way up.

I also think BB sniffed out the binky factor with Brady/Welker, similarly to the Brady staring down of Moss as Moss lobbie d Brady for targets in early 2010.  We lost games or couldn't move the sticks when that was going on.

Sometimes the turth hurts, TFB12. You just have to be prepared for that and move on.

Apparently you didn't read my post.  Shocker!!  I really hope I am wrong on this as I do like Amendola and what he could be but man, talking about bringing in Amendola as a youth factor without paying attention to his injury factor is a big risk.

You keep contridicting yourself... According to you once Welker rejected the offer last season he was going to be gone this season yet the Patriots offered him a 2 year contract just the other day.  Then you say he was gone when the clock struck 0:00 after the AFC title game, yet again, the Pats offer him a 2 year contract just the other day.  Your a mess here.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

I have been saying this since tuesday. His agent totally mis-read welkers value around the league.

lol and ive been saying it about WEs for 2 years! Cant believe they were that dumb. BB knew what others were willing to pay and offered a very good deal last year 2/16 and a year later, he couldnt get close to that. This is the BEST slot WR In the game and like I said,they dont GET PAID like # 1s with 4.4 speed, height and TD making ability.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

What I found interesting also was the 5M/yr 2 year deal supposedly had incentives that could have taken it to 8M/yr. But Welker thought the incentives were too hard to reach.

I agree ... Ego and Agent got in the way of this thing a while ago.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

What I found interesting also was the 5M/yr 2 year deal supposedly had incentives that could have taken it to 8M/yr. But Welker thought the incentives were too hard to reach.

he averages over 100 catches per year with the pats for 6 years, but yet he thinks the incentives were too hard to reach? wow.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I think a lot of agents screwed up.

Didn't Avril turn down 3 years at 30?

He ended up (including the franchise tag) 3 years and 25

slot receiver market, DE market, and now I'm thinking cb market was below expected

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

In response to mia76's comment:

he averages over 100 catches per year with the pats for 6 years, but yet he thinks the incentives were too hard to reach? wow.

What were the incentives?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

They did that to save face publicly.  Welker has been so good here overall, they can say "well, we offered him a fair market deal", which is true.

BINGO!!

[QUOTE]

Amendola's "injury factor" is overblown.  

[/QUOTE]

Over blown?  2 years in a row, dude!  You have an argument after missing season 1, but missing a bunch more the next season?  C'mon!  That's just ignorant!!