Welker's Comment says it all

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

Welker's Comment says it all

Borges talks about the lack ot talent
    Brady talks about lack of execution
    Belicheck talks about them making more plays.

- Wes Welker:
    "You work on one thing all week and you get something different."

I think Welker's comment sums it up exactly.  The Pats were outcoached, plain and simple...and when you are outcoached execution suffers, you become desperate and you make mistakes.  This was apparent in the 2007 SB and it's brutally apparent this time.  The trouble is, that it's becoming a trend.  I'm not knocking BB, but something has been amiss the past few years, and it's not just the O-Line and it's just not a pass rusher etc and it's not just one bad game..... the trend doesn't lie....lately it's been a lack of preparation / coaching in the post season.

I wanted to get your thoughts on this since I'm not seeing a lot of articles expanding on Wes's comments.

Here's to next season!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nZone. Show nZone's posts

Re: Welker's Comment says it all

One can spin the Welker's into any shape or form, but it's a guessing game -- chess match.  You picked one out of many scenarious and sticked to it.  I'm sure the Patriots had 1 or 2 back up scenarios, but I didn't think they expect the Jets went for the wholesale revamp defense.  The major problem for the Patriots was that they were not on the same page.  If they had been, they would probably be fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Welker's Comment says it all:
    [QUOTE]And Ryan got outcoached earlier in the 45-3 beatdown. It happens. Move on and focus on the next season. Belichick is still the best in the business. It doesn't mean he will get it right every time, it means he will get it right more often than others. I'm proud of the way this young team performed to get to 14-2. I am excited about the next season.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

That's the style. YOU are spot on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatgirl. Show Soxpatgirl's posts

[QUOTE]And Ryan got outcoached earlier in the 45-3 beatdown. It happens. Move on and focus on the next season. Belichick is still the best in the business. It doesn't mean he will get it right every time, it means he will get it right more often than others. I'm proud of the way this young team performed to get to 14-2. I am excited about the next season.

Great response.  Still no team I would rather watch.  Next season will be exciting.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

I'm surprised more teams didn't do what the Browns did which was flood the middle with zone coverage and leave the outside one on one, brady double clutched in both games cause so many defenders were in the area

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan36. Show soxfan36's posts

In Response to Welker's Comment says it all:
    [QUOTE]Borges talks about the lack ot talent Brady talks about lack of execution Belicheck talks about them making more plays. - Wes Welker: "You work on one thing all week and you get something different." I think Welker's comment sums it up exactly.  The Pats were outcoached, plain and simple...and when you are outcoached execution suffers, you become desperate and you make mistakes.  This was apparent in the 2007 SB and it's brutally apparent this time.  The trouble is, that it's becoming a trend .  I'm not knocking BB, but something has been amiss the past few years, and it's not just the O-Line and it's just not a pass rusher etc and it's not just one bad game..... the trend doesn't lie....lately it's been a lack of preparation / coaching in the post season. I wanted to get your thoughts on this since I'm not seeing a lot of articles expanding on Wes's comments. Here's to next season!
    Posted by LifeTimePat[/QUOTE]

I think too many people (including the media) are heaping too much of the blame on Brady. How about giving some credit to the other team...i mean they did have a hand in making Brady play poorly.

On the defensive side of the ball they played fairly well only giving up 14 points through 3 quarters...though Sanchez made a number of bad throws in the first half that cost them first downs and more. This defense was certainly playing above their heads down the stretch...and that was primarily due to turnovers it created. When they play teams that don't make mistakes (coupled with a non existant pass rush) they struggle to be consistant. It's much easier to play defense when you've turned a few turnovers into TDs for your team. Forcing other teams to play catch up only makes your defense look better. They are young and will improve with some returning players and some high draft picks. Btw, just a side note, i'm not sure if anyone mentioned the play of Spikes. People forget he hadn't played a game in 6 weeks...i'm sure he was rusty.

On offense, the dropped TD pass by Crumpler (which was huge) and the botched fake punt really exemplified this team over the past couple of seasons in the playoffs. When things are on the line the focus just doesn't seem to be there.

Whatever happened to those half time adjusments BB was such a genius at making? It seems over the past 3 or 4 seasons that when the offense struggles mightly in the first halves of games they haven't been able to figure things out in the second half.  They haven't won a SB without Weiss as OC and Crennel as DC. Brady is human and their offense will struggle at times...but BB and company needs to recognize when things aren't clicking and make those adjustments sooner. They are either making them too late or not at all and it's costing them games in the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CappyG. Show CappyG's posts

I think that in both the SB vs NYG and this last game against NYJ, when good teams play each other, if there is a weakness it will be apparent.  They were in both games until the end, they weren't blown out.  So.. with that said, the OL was an apparent weakness in both of those games.  To much pressure with 3 or 4 men rushing and putting pressure on the QB allows 7 - 8 guys drop back in coverage... makes it kind of hard for a QB to be successful. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan36. Show soxfan36's posts

[QUOTE]I think that in both the SB vs NYG and this last game against NYJ, when good teams play each other, if there is a weakness it will be apparent.  They were in both games until the end, they weren't blown out.  So.. with that said, the OL was an apparent weakness in both of those games.  To much pressure with 3 or 4 men rushing and putting pressure on the QB allows 7 - 8 guys drop back in coverage... makes it kind of hard for a QB to be successful. 
    Posted by CappyG[/QUOTE]

I just got finished watching the game because i couldn't on Sunday and the Jets mainly rushed 4 or 5 guys. There were plenty of times when Brady had all day to throw and couldn't find an open man. Give credit to the Jets LBs and DBs...they were all over the Pats receivers. Hopefully, they will learn from this and tweak the offense next season because i am sure other teams will look at how the Jets played them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Welker's Comment says it all : I think too many people (including the media) are heaping too much of the blame on Brady. How about giving some credit to the other team...i mean they did have a hand in making Brady play poorly. On the defensive side of the ball they played fairly well only giving up 14 points through 3 quarters...though Sanchez made a number of bad throws in the first half that cost them first downs and more. This defense was certainly playing above their heads down the stretch...and that was primarily due to turnovers it created. When they play teams that don't make mistakes (coupled with a non existant pass rush) they struggle to be consistant. It's much easier to play defense when you've turned a few turnovers into TDs for your team. Forcing other teams to play catch up only makes your defense look better. They are young and will improve with some returning players and some high draft picks. Btw, just a side note, i'm not sure if anyone mentioned the play of Spikes. People forget he hadn't played a game in 6 weeks...i'm sure he was rusty. On offense, the dropped TD pass by Crumpler (which was huge) and the botched fake punt really exemplified this team over the past couple of seasons in the playoffs. When things are on the line the focus just doesn't seem to be there. Whatever happened to those half time adjusments BB was such a genius at making? It seems over the past 3 or 4 seasons that when the offense struggles mightly in the first halves of games they haven't been able to figure things out in the second half.  They haven't won a SB without Weiss as OC and Crennel as DC. Brady is human and their offense will struggle at times...but BB and company needs to recognize when things aren't clicking and make those adjustments sooner. They are either making them too late or not at all and it's costing them games in the playoffs.
    Posted by soxfan36[/QUOTE]

I have to agree here. I heard on sports talk yesterday one writer claim Brady was in decline. WHAT? All because of one bad game...out of 17 games in 2010-2011? The last I checked, Brady had set a record for efficient ball management by not through an INT in over 350 attempts. Four INTs total for the season. The highest scoring offense in the NFL. The best regular season record in the NFL. 

And with not only the 25th ranked defense in the NFL, but the youngest defense in the NFL. 

Against the Jets, Brady did not sit Wes Welker on what could have been a brilliant opening drive. Give us Welker on that drive, maybe BJGE wouldn't have had to run an underneath route to put Brady in position to throw a junk pass. 

Brady didn't drop to endzone passes. Welker and Crumpler did. That's 14 points. the game is now 35-28 Patriots.

Brady didn't drop a 1st down pass when the game counted most. Branch did.

Brady didn't call for a fake punt on his own 37. Take that stupid call away, the game is now 25-21 Patriots.

And is Brady responsible for allowing 5 sacks? Or the fact that receivers were simply shut-down on their routes? 

Does Brady share the blame? Hell, yes. But this was a dismal team effort where pro-bowl caliber receivers dropped key passes. Coaches made poor key play calls, didn't manage the clock, didn't adjust the game plan. All resulting in a big fat loss. Brady still through for 299 yards, 2 tds, 1 INT. If this were a fantasy week, you'd be pretty happy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scard. Show scard's posts

I think more importantly than Welker's comments is the fact that we HAVE NO WAY to stretch the field!  If we could stretch the field with a top receiver like a Moss (the Moss in 2007) then they can't flood the middle of the field with 5-6 DB's and cover the underneath stuff because they would have to respect our deep game.  I really hope we actually USE our first (3) draft picks this year and maybe we can find that deep threat in the FA market.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker's Comment says it all : I have to agree here. I heard on sports talk yesterday one writer claim Brady was in decline. WHAT? All because of one bad game...out of 17 games in 2010-2011? The last I checked, Brady had set a record for efficient ball management by not through an INT in over 350 attempts. Four INTs total for the season. The highest scoring offense in the NFL. The best regular season record in the NFL.  And with not only the 25th ranked defense in the NFL, but the youngest defense in the NFL.  Against the Jets, Brady did not sit Wes Welker on what could have been a brilliant opening drive. Give us Welker on that drive, maybe BJGE wouldn't have had to run an underneath route to put Brady in position to throw a junk pass.  Brady didn't drop to endzone passes. Welker and Crumpler did. That's 14 points. the game is now 35-28 Patriots. Brady didn't drop a 1st down pass when the game counted most. Branch did. Brady didn't call for a fake punt on his own 37. Take that stupid call away, the game is now 25-21 Patriots. And is Brady responsible for allowing 5 sacks? Or the fact that receivers were simply shut-down on their routes?  Does Brady share the blame? Hell, yes. But this was a dismal team effort where pro-bowl caliber receivers dropped key passes. Coaches made poor key play calls, didn't manage the clock, didn't adjust the game plan. All resulting in a big fat loss. Brady still through for 299 yards, 2 tds, 1 INT. If this were a fantasy week, you'd be pretty happy. 
    Posted by goredsox100[/QUOTE]

And I meant to write "threw" not "through" for 299 yards. Man. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

brady talked about all this...if anyone listended and he noted that if they had actually scored on their first two drives ... things would have certainly been different... 

but the bottom line is they didnt and they werent so second guessing and questioning ability and looking for trends and calling for a new coach ....sounds like a bunch of spoiled pink hat whiney *ssed biatches...

it must be that most people dont remember the late 80's and early 90's

me... i thought we had a great year... but we didnt finish it off the way most have come to expect...which is dissapointing but thats not realistic every year.... but I would not want any other coach ever.... as long as this guy still wants to do it...  of course you all can do whatever you want

just think if parcells wasnt breathing down his neck he could have stayed in NY and we would be looking at them with 4 SB appearences....   great year.... lets get the machine going for next year..... pink hat WABes excluded

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

You are using regular season numbers. Brady has failed in the playoffs. No one is upset about his regular season play. He just hasn't been the same player come January. 

Did he play well against the ravens last year?
    How about the Giants in the super bowl? 
    How about the 2007 AFCCG? Another awful performance.

This team hasn't won a superbowl since 2005, and Brady has had bad numbers in the playoffs since then. 

The issue is that Brady is pooping his pants in the playoffs. Go ahead and blame every other person on payroll for the pats, but Brady's playoff performance has been an issue the last 5 years. He needs to address this issue if they are going to win anything meaningful.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker's Comment says it all : I have to agree here. I heard on sports talk yesterday one writer claim Brady was in decline. WHAT? All because of one bad game...out of 17 games in 2010-2011? The last I checked, Brady had set a record for efficient ball management by not through an INT in over 350 attempts. Four INTs total for the season. The highest scoring offense in the NFL. The best regular season record in the NFL.  And with not only the 25th ranked defense in the NFL, but the youngest defense in the NFL.  Against the Jets, Brady did not sit Wes Welker on what could have been a brilliant opening drive. Give us Welker on that drive, maybe BJGE wouldn't have had to run an underneath route to put Brady in position to throw a junk pass.  Brady didn't drop to endzone passes. Welker and Crumpler did. That's 14 points. the game is now 35-28 Patriots. Brady didn't drop a 1st down pass when the game counted most. Branch did. Brady didn't call for a fake punt on his own 37. Take that stupid call away, the game is now 25-21 Patriots. And is Brady responsible for allowing 5 sacks? Or the fact that receivers were simply shut-down on their routes?  Does Brady share the blame? Hell, yes. But this was a dismal team effort where pro-bowl caliber receivers dropped key passes. Coaches made poor key play calls, didn't manage the clock, didn't adjust the game plan. All resulting in a big fat loss. Brady still through for 299 yards, 2 tds, 1 INT. If this were a fantasy week, you'd be pretty happy. 
    Posted by goredsox100[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]I think more importantly than Welker's comments is the fact that we HAVE NO WAY to stretch the field!  If we could stretch the field with a top receiver like a Moss (the Moss in 2007) then they can't flood the middle of the field with 5-6 DB's and cover the underneath stuff because they would have to respect our deep game.  I really hope we actually USE our first (3) draft picks this year and maybe we can find that deep threat in the FA market.
    Posted by scard[/QUOTE]

i think thats more philospy than players... but I agree ...they should have tried more deep passes... i think they tried one to tate... and that def wasnt enough

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

And for any poster who wants to protect the sacred cow go read Ron Jaworski's thoughts. He said Brady played tight and fast, which is apparent for anyone not willing to build a conspiracy theory as to why the pats lost despite strong play from Brady.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

They won 14 games without anyone to stretch the field. Maybe the guy pulling the trigger had a bad game? Maybe the play calling was bad too? But to remake the entire roster because of sunday's choke job would be a mistake. You're also discounting any improvement from tate and Taylor price. 

I hope they get a 3 down DE with one of their first picks, but you never know with the pats. All I know is that they'll be adding at least 3 more good players, which should help the team improve. But I'll say it again: If they don't execute on O next year they'll just be at home again.

[QUOTE]I think more importantly than Welker's comments is the fact that we HAVE NO WAY to stretch the field!  If we could stretch the field with a top receiver like a Moss (the Moss in 2007) then they can't flood the middle of the field with 5-6 DB's and cover the underneath stuff because they would have to respect our deep game.  I really hope we actually USE our first (3) draft picks this year and maybe we can find that deep threat in the FA market.
    Posted by scard[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]You are using regular season numbers. Brady has failed in the playoffs. No one is upset about his regular season play. He just hasn't been the same player come January.  Did he play well against the ravens last year? How about the Giants in the super bowl?  How about the 2007 AFCCG? Another awful performance. This team hasn't won a superbowl since 2005, and Brady has had bad numbers in the playoffs since then.  The issue is that Brady is pooping his pants in the playoffs. Go ahead and blame every other person on payroll for the pats, but Brady's playoff performance has been an issue the last 5 years. He needs to address this issue if they are going to win anything meaningful. In Response to Re: Welker's Comment says it all :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

actually in the giants SB brady drove the team within the last 3 minutes to come from behind and take the lead... we all know the rest so whether his performance in the game was lights out or not he did what he needed at the end...  the rest of the team ie..defense did not....    and

in this jest game...though again he wasnt lights out he was pretty good and they scored 21 and it should have been more ...again the 58 yard pass and run was a killer... and the crumpler drop was a killer.... so dont look a brady he "did his JOb"  was he great no but definately good enough to win if you hold the opposing team to a reasonable amount of points.....you win as a team and you lose as a team...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]You are using regular season numbers. Brady has failed in the playoffs. No one is upset about his regular season play. He just hasn't been the same player come January.  Did he play well against the ravens last year? How about the Giants in the super bowl?  How about the 2007 AFCCG? Another awful performance. This team hasn't won a superbowl since 2005, and Brady has had bad numbers in the playoffs since then.  The issue is that Brady is pooping his pants in the playoffs. Go ahead and blame every other person on payroll for the pats, but Brady's playoff performance has been an issue the last 5 years. He needs to address this issue if they are going to win anything meaningful. In Response to Re: Welker's Comment says it all :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you.  When Brady failed to knock the ball out of Tyree's hands in 2008 and let Ray Rice run right by him on the first play of the wild card game last year, I was screaming for Belichick to trade him.  Don't get me started on how he let Manning throw all over him in the 2006 AFC championship game. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

^^What an excellent summary of the truth.  I know we aren't best friends or^^ anything, but man, you NAILED it here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

If a team prepared for every possible scenario, it would most likely be a mess as there was too much to memorize.  As NZone said, you pick the poison you most likely think you are going to be given.  Even with that, the play of the Jets that day was superb, especially their defensive back field.  Sometimes you guess right, as the Pats did in the 45 - 3 game, and sometimes you guess wrong, as we all learned sadly this past Sunday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Yeah, the Giants game where they scored 14 points. They scored 38 points in their last regular season game against the giants that year (only a month earlier). Brady played a great game to go 16-0, but he didn't have a great superbowl. These two games prove my point.

Of course they win and lose as a team, but this team is built for Brady to be on his game. When he's not, they lose. Maybe that's asking too much.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welker's Comment says it all : actually in the giants SB brady drove the team within the last 3 minutes to come from behind and take the lead... we all know the rest so whether his performance in the game was lights out or not he did what he needed at the end...  the rest of the team ie..defense did not....    and in this jest game...though again he wasnt lights out he was pretty good and they scored 21 and it should have been more ...again the 58 yard pass and run was a killer... and the crumpler drop was a killer.... so dont look a brady he "did his JOb"  was he great no but definately good enough to win if you hold the opposing team to a reasonable amount of points.....you win as a team and you lose as a team...
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I'm surprised more teams didn't do what the Browns did which was flood the middle with zone coverage and leave the outside one on one, brady double clutched in both games cause so many defenders were in the area
    Posted by harleyroadking11[/QUOTE]

Pretty much what the Jets last week

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I agree that Welker should shut up. His stone hands this year hurt from time to time. I'm a huge Welker fan but he gave the Jests bulletin board material. Did it help? Who knows, but the only thing it could have hurt is the Pats. I think it got us off our game some.  I would prefer that this team is and acts like professionals. I'm sure I'll get flamed about this but you don't question your boss in the press. I'm guessing he may be talking about OBrien, but isnt that the "Do your job" stuff? Be quiet and move on.

Sections
Shortcuts