Welp, I was wrong about Kevin Williams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Welp, I was wrong about Kevin Williams

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/06/kevin_williams_turned_down_a_b.html" rel="nofollow">http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/06/kevin_williams_turned_down_a_b.html

Kevin Williams asked the Patriots for the to call him, but he had a change of heart once his phone rang.

The veteran defensive tackle recently visited New England, and left town with a contract offer in hand, but ultimately decided that the Seattle Seahawks were a better fit for him. The interesting part of that equation, however, is that the Patriots actually made a stronger offer than Seattle, according to ESPN.

New England’s aggressive pursuit of Williams is interesting. The team has several defensive tackles, and if things work out, it could be one of the more crowded spots on the roster with Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Dominique Easley, Armond Armstead, Sealver Siliga, and Chris Jones competiting for roster spots and snaps.

However, Kelly (knee), Easley (knee), Armstead (unknown), and Wilfork (Achilles) are all fighting their way back from injuries. Wilfork took part in 11-on-11 drills last week in organized team activities, suggesting that he is on the right path.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I was wrong on this one. When I heard his radio interview, it sounded like, to me, that he was trying to pinch more pennies from teams that had interest. Turns out he went to Seattle for less.

Seattle is the reigning champs so I guess this makes sense to vets to go there and try for their ring at cheap dollar.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Re: Welp, I was wrong about Kevin Williams

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/06/kevin_williams_turned_down_a_b.html" rel="nofollow">http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/06/kevin_williams_turned_down_a_b.html" rel="nofollow">http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/06/kevin_williams_turned_down_a_b.html

Kevin Williams asked the Patriots for the to call him, but he had a change of heart once his phone rang.

The veteran defensive tackle recently visited New England, and left town with a contract offer in hand, but ultimately decided that the Seattle Seahawks were a better fit for him. The interesting part of that equation, however, is that the Patriots actually made a stronger offer than Seattle, according to ESPN.

New England’s aggressive pursuit of Williams is interesting. The team has several defensive tackles, and if things work out, it could be one of the more crowded spots on the roster with Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Dominique Easley, Armond Armstead, Sealver Siliga, and Chris Jones competiting for roster spots and snaps.

However, Kelly (knee), Easley (knee), Armstead (unknown), and Wilfork (Achilles) are all fighting their way back from injuries. Wilfork took part in 11-on-11 drills last week in organized team activities, suggesting that he is on the right path.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I was wrong on this one. When I heard his radio interview, it sounded like, to me, that he was trying to pinch more pennies from teams that had interest. Turns out he went to Seattle for less.

Seattle is the reigning champs so I guess this makes sense to vets to go there and try for their ring at cheap dollar.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

[/QUOTE]

it is what it is.  Noone ever really knows what will motivate a free agent to choose from one team or another. Could be anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/06/kevin_williams_turned_down_a_b.html" rel="nofollow">http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/06/kevin_williams_turned_down_a_b.html" rel="nofollow">http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/06/kevin_williams_turned_down_a_b.html

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well you weren't as wrong as some troll that said he would play for beebee, for less money, if he wanted a ring.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

It could be any reason... maybe something as simple as Percy Harvin giving Seattle a good endorsement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Very rare that a team repeats for a SB title.  I can't wait for Mt Hurl to whine about how Kraft and BB are cheap and dumb and didn't do enough to get a veteran DT in here.

Williams was penny-pinching, too, by the way.  An ego stroke is sometimes all it takes.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Can't blame the guy. If you get almost the same min value deal from two teams and one is up and coming and won the SB and the other contends but just has issues in the playoffs than you go with the one who made it to the SB. Can't blame the guy in the least. At least now we can put to rest the notion that players are willing to take less to play for the Pats over all other teams. Those days are gone (unless their only other option is Oak). We have to prove we are a team to go to if all things are equal and right now it feels like we are just 1 of a half dozen teams or so that need to compete with each other for talent. 

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Sounds like a case of playing time. He looked at big Vince, Kelly, Siliga,  and Easley and realized he'd be fighting for minutes. He saw Seattle lost Red Bryant as a cap casualty and had a larger window of opportunity. Not sure how it could indicate that guys don't want to play for BB and the Pats? Seems like an absurd reach to me....

[object HTMLDivElement]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

It could be something as simple as a player wanting to play for a coach who seemingly makes the game 'fun' for his players versus a coach who has a more structured and stricter regiment for his players.  Both successful coaches, but the individual personality of a player may allow him to thrive in one environment more successfully than in another.

If this be the case, than Williams' dalliance with the Patriots may have just been a negotiating ploy to up the price that the Seahawks were willing to spend.

And it would not surprise me one iota that Belichick was well aware of this when Williams departed with an offer in hand which subsequently forced the Seahawks to pay more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sounds like a case of playing time. He looked at big Vince, Kelly, Siliga,  and Easley and realized he'd be fighting for minutes. He saw Seattle lost Red Bryant as a cap casualty and had a larger window of opportunity. Not sure how it could indicate that guys don't want to play for BB and the Pats? Seems like an absurd reach to me....

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Never said guys don't wanna play for BB and the Pats but they seem to wanna play in Seattle more as of late

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Never said guys don't wanna play for BB and the Pats but they seem to wanna play in Seattle more as of late

[/QUOTE]

Very tough to win back to back super bowls.  True champ is right.  Petey probably gave him some false promise of a certain amount of snaps and a guaranteed roster spot or some crap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I would argue that Seattles front 4 is better than ours so he might see more playing time here rather than there. Esp, since BB likes to rotate much more frequently than in Sea. No one is saying no player wants to play for BB, that's a massive stretch. But, it might be we are no longer the destination we use to hold in our SB winning years and now are in the group of Sea, SF, GB, Den, NO, Colts where players say I can win on any of those teams and maybe in Sea and SF they are seeing a bigger chance to win (given recent success). But, the notion that if they want to get a ring they need to come here many toss out I don't think holds as much truth as it use, there are other options now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very tough to win back to back super bowls.  True champ is right.  Petey probably gave him some false promise of a certain amount of snaps and a guaranteed roster spot or some crap.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'd agree with that. I'm just surprised to see him go to SEA when he was beggin us to call him..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'd agree with that. I'm just surprised to see him go to SEA when he was beggin us to call him..

[/QUOTE]

never be surprised that a guy goes to the defending champion

Sections
Shortcuts