Werder: Sanders to Stay In Pitt

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: Werder: Sanders to Stay In Pitt

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn51m

What could prevent Steelers from matching Pats on Emmanual Sanders? Only 3 teams have less cap space. Pick No. 91 may tempt GM Kevin Colbert

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Somewhat surprising considering the cap position and the fact they're essentially rebuilding.

This sort of proves that Pitt can't really tell their fanbase that they are sort of scaling back the next 2 years to add pieces they need. They need to get younger.

Now, you'd have to think BB will hit up 2 WRs in the draft.

I figured this but I dont think it means we draft 2. We are short on pics and the worst thing to do while trying to improve your defense in a year with short pics is pick 2 WRs when we have 3 capable and 2 TEs and our draft history of WR's is pretty bad. Even now, Im not sure they use the 3rd on a rookie, I mean who sais BB values ANY of these rookies like a 3 year vet?? Who is to say he isnt gonna draft another Edleman in round 7 and go ALL defense. I dont like the idea of drafting 2 WRs and you shouldnt either the way you keep saying Brady has enough weapons and keeps failing cuz he s*cks. So which is it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

It is not going to be about the money (although I'm sure the deal would make them slightly more uncomfortable than they currently are).  It is going to be about whether the Steelers think they can keep Sanders long term.  Because otherwise they should take the pick and run.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

What the hell is the point of even signing him to a tender then?

If you really want a guy, you don't offer him a one-year deal at reportedly matchable money...

And I'm not saying give him 8 mil a year, but a one-year deal for money that a cap-strapped Pittsburgh team will most likely match?

Seems like a waste of time since Pitt won't contend next year...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

On the flip side, The one year offer sheet presents a difficult challenge for Pittsburgh. Should Pittsburgh match the offer, they could risk losing Sanders a year from now with no compensation in return. That makes me believe that they could opt to simply take New England's third round pick now........

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/4/10/4209042/patriots-sign-emmanuel-sanders-to-offer-sheet-initial-thoughts

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mannyortez3424's comment:

If you really want a guy, you don't offer him a one-year deal at reportedly matchable money...

And I'm not saying give him 8 mil a year, but a one-year deal for money that a cap-strapped Pittsburgh team will most likely match?

These were my thougts as well. he isnt a rook and you have NFL film. If you want him, upping his deal 500k aint gonna do it. I dont get why they didnt offer him a real deal after waiting this long. Tells me BB wants him, but not that bad and still thats why Edleman was signed insurance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mannyortez3424's comment:

But, see, that may be the logic.  Maybe BB suspects Sanders is the guy who is going to be cut, not Burress or Cotchery. Who knows, mayybe BB and Colbert spoked at the Combine and something COlbert said maybe BB think Sanders could be had and it wouldn't be much more than what he makes in 2013 at the 3rd level?

Some guy called up 98.5 right now and said he diagree with Ed Werder.

I am sort of leaning in that direction. Werder may not really know, and it's just speculation.

This coming from the guy who tells everyone NOT to listen to the felger and mazz show?? Like I thought when it came up 2 years ago. You dont want people listening to find out you take callers ideas and use them as your own. You make it seem like the worse thing to do yet you spend all day listening to them!??!?  lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

It is not going to be about the money (although I'm sure the deal would make them slightly more uncomfortable than they currently are).  It is going to be about whether the Steelers think they can keep Sanders long term.  Because otherwise they should take the pick and run.

Or, they just can't handle a 700K raise in their position.

It could be that BB basically figured that that number, as low as it appears, is enough to get them to take the 3rd.

If he does come here, they will make sure he looks good in camp and then give him a new deal.  This is what Tony and Mazz don't get. They keep saying: "Why only 1 year!"?

They're so dumb. lol

The two hyenas on 98.5 are babbling incessantly right now calling BB cheap and all that, but we need to see how this shakes out before knee jerking this or that. Not saying you, just in general.

The drama that surrounds everything BB does or doesn't do is this ridiculous media frenzy.

Sick, isn't it?

It isn't sick at all if the Pats have 8m in space, use only 2m on Sanders, have the offer matched (when 3m would have forced Pitt to decline) and then draft enough Chad Jackson instead while sanders continues to improve as a good young WR who was already proven and developed by someone else.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

On the flip side, The one year offer sheet presents a difficult challenge for Pittsburgh. Should Pittsburgh match the offer, they could risk losing Sanders a year from now with no compensation in return. That makes me believe that they could opt to simply take New England's third round pick now........

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/4/10/4209042/patriots-sign-emmanuel-sanders-to-offer-sheet-initial-thoughts

Exactly.

So, BB may know that, know how Colbert thinks, know it' a deep WR draft, etc, but BB want a younger vet with experience.

Regardless, it's an interesting little game of cat and mouse here.

Colbert has been a very good GM overall, even if screwing up in recent drafts.  The other thing is, just because he take the pick and lets Sanders walk, it' not like it appears like they're rebuilding on the fly because Sander was the 3rd WR there anyway.

I will laugh my balls off if they let him walk, because Tony and Mazz are on there acting like BB is an idiot for not going high enough.

They couldn't wait to get that agenda out there. 30 minute into their show and that's all they've been hammering on like two little hyenas.

Rusty Please please call up these idiots felger and mazz and put them straight. They are still babbling about the patriots only offering 1 year and 2.5. Mazz mentions that if Sanders does sign we risk the chance of him leaving  after one year, But he neglects to mention that in all Likelyhood if the steelers match the steelers risk loosing him next year with no compensation which also which makes the Third RD pick all the more attractive. Those two morons just dont get it. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

1 year and 2.5 is a pretty spot on amount actually... it almost doubles what Pitt tendered him at

It would just be a huge shame if we miss out on Sanders over 500k, when 3m would have him, or Lloyd, who was very productive, over 3m... Brady needs MORE weapons and this team CANNOT draft wideouts.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Paranoia in Steeler Nation! LOL....so some say the offer is 4 mil that the Pats will roll over into a new mult-year deal.......

So...those here that said BB may have winked at Sanders for the "agreed" upon long term deal how dare you make such a statement.....wink...wink...LOL!!!

Some in Steeler Nation are worried that's what the Pats are up to!!!

LOL....some of you folks here know your s*it....

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/10/4209448/emmanuel-sanders-signing-compensation-draft-pick-patriots/in/3873307

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Steelers Depot says the Steelers will have to come up with $1 million in cap space they don't have to match the offer.  There are options for them to do so though.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/04/options-steelers-have-to-create-cap-room-should-they-want-to-keep-emmanuel-sanders/

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Exactly.

So, BB may know that, know how Colbert thinks, know it' a deep WR draft, etc, but BB want a younger vet with experience.

Regardless, it's an interesting little game of cat and mouse here.

Colbert has been a very good GM overall, even if screwing up in recent drafts.  The other thing is, just because he take the pick and lets Sanders walk, it' not like it appears like they're rebuilding on the fly because Sander was the 3rd WR there anyway.

I will laugh my balls off if they let him walk, because Tony and Mazz are on there acting like BB is an idiot for not going high enough.

They couldn't wait to get that agenda out there. 30 minute into their show and that's all they've been hammering on like two little hyenas.

Rustt Please please call up these idiots felger and mazz and put them straight. They are still babbling about the patriots only offering 1 year and 2.5. Mazz mentions that if Sanders does sign we risk the chance of him leaving  after one year, But he neglects to mention that in all Likelyhood if the steelers match the steelers risk loosing him next year also which makes the Third RD pick all the more attractive.

Yep.  I can't really call in since I am on the phone on and off during the day, but it would be kind of funny if someone from this board (using their board name) did.

2.5 million is the number which is a lot more than 1.2 that Pitt currently has him on for.  They were lying earlier saying NE was offering only 1.5. They lie and don't get the strategy.

That's a good number. I suggested 3 2 weeks ago.  Then you see how he looks in camp, assuming he looks good and then be aggressive with a deal for 3-4 years.

You want to make it aggressive as possible so he's not leaning to get to FA, too.

Listen to how he (Felger) just mocked "cap jail". LOL

They're such idiots.   Felger just said "they can easily match" the 2.5   That would mena if they match they'll have to cut someone else they probably don't want to.

There's a lot that goes into this and the longer he's not matched, the more it will appear he's coming here.

If it's an easy match, Felger, why isn't the paperwork faxed in? Hmm?  It's been 8 hours at this point and it's an easy match, right?

LOL

Im sure he(Felger) will convienantly bring up the point we just mentioned, if by the grace of god the steelers dont match and sanders ends up here. Its convienant for him(felger) to cherry picks facts that support his arguement. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Restricted free agent WR Emmanuel Sanders' one-year offer sheet with the Patriots is worth just $2.5 million

The Steelers are believed to have only $1.9 million in cap space, but it's an easily matchable offer if they're serious about keeping the fourth-year pro. They have until Sunday to decide. The Steelers will get New England's third-round pick (No. 91) if they let Sanders walk. Sanders would likely sign a long-term extension upon becoming a Patriot. The Steelers have a sterling track record of finding young receivers, and could select Sanders' replacement in this month's draft if they let him go.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Steelers restricted free agent receiver Emmanuel Sanders signed a one-year offer sheet from the Patriots today, league sources confirmed, and Pittsburgh has five days to match the offer.

If the Steelers decide not to match the offer, they will receive the Patriots' third-round pick in this year's draft.

It's unknown how much the offer is for. The Patriots have about $8.2 million in cap space. The Steelers have about $2 million, but that includes Sanders' $1.3 million tender. The Patriots offer was likely in the $4-5 million range to make the Steelers have to contemplate other roster moves to match the offer.

UPDATE: The offer sheet was for $2.5 million, according to Adam Schefter.

The funny thing is Sanders was percieved to have been a dissapointment as a 3rd round pick by the Steelers and only had a high of 44 catches but because of the pats draft history, we have to be excited to get him and not have to gamble with the draft. At this point, whatever happens, happens and im gonna role with it, but Im tired of trying of make sense of it.