Werder: Sanders to Stay In Pitt

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Re: Werder: Sanders to Stay In Pitt

I might get killed for saying this but is it just me or did they seem to be more willing to part with money when they signed Chad Ochocinco. I think Sanders would be a good addition and he's NFL proven don't know why they don't just go and get him but hey that's just me

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

I might get killed for saying this but is it just me or did they seem to be more willing to part with money when they signed Chad Ochocinco. I think Sanders would be a good addition and he's NFL proven don't know why they don't just go and get him but hey that's just me

yea watch out for Rusty, but I agree as well. I voiced my opinion on this in the other thread about Sanders. I think they just did it to see if they could get him cheap but never really wanted to commit real $$ and will be content with drafting a WR in the 3rd, 2nd MAYBE!

So the 2.5 is probably the rookie salary for a 3rd round pick and they have that number in mind and dont consider Sanders better than any of the WRs they can get in the 3rd, atleast in terms of upside. Just my 2 cents

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Ed Bouchette 15 minutes ago

At $2.5M for Sanders, #Patriots did the #Steelers a favor, but not in the way you might think. What they should do:

The Steelers have the cap room room to pay that salary but why would they want to? Instead, they get more cap relief plus the 91st pick in the draft. Do you know what they could do with that pick? They could draft both a wide receiver and a running back. Or they could deal it to a team for a young outside linebacker who might be stuck behind someone else. They could package it with a lower pick and get a second-round draft choice in return.
    This is a draft that supposedly is not good at the top but deep, which means those third-round picks are more valuable this year than they were last year.
    Not only that, but that third-round pick will average under $700,000 a year for four years, all in the Steelers’ control with no RFA after three as was Sanders. How’s that for more cap relief?

Read more at PG+ from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ›

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Somewhat surprising considering the cap position and the fact they're essentially rebuilding.

This sort of proves that Pitt can't really tell their fanbase that they are sort of scaling back the next 2 years to add pieces they need. They need to get younger.

Now, you'd have to think BB will hit up 2 WRs in the draft.

I figured this but I dont think it means we draft 2. We are short on pics and the worst thing to do while trying to improve your defense in a year with short pics is pick 2 WRs when we have 3 capable and 2 TEs and our draft history of WR's is pretty bad. Even now, Im not sure they use the 3rd on a rookie, I mean who sais BB values ANY of these rookies like a 3 year vet?? Who is to say he isnt gonna draft another Edleman in round 7 and go ALL defense. I dont like the idea of drafting 2 WRs and you shouldnt either the way you keep saying Brady has enough weapons and keeps failing cuz he s*cks. So which is it?

BB could still go for two WRs, but I doubt he picks them both in the top 3 picks. He might pick one in the early rounds and use one of the 7th rnd picks (226 or 235) for the other.

There are some interesting WRs in that range. Some already discussed in the draft thread.

TJ Moe,  Missouri, 6-0, 204 lbs: 4.62 on the 40, but very good on the shuttle and cone (3.96 and 6.53 respectively)

Marquess Wilson, Washington St, 6-3, 194 lbs: 4.45, 4.33, 6.65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2OcHf6ias

Kenbrell Thompkins, Cincinnati, 6-1, 193 lbs: 4.46, 4.21, 6.88

Lanear Sampson, Baylor, 5-11, 204 lbs: 4.40, 4.38, 7.10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoZX_Ywxtoo

Keenan Davis, Iowa, 6-2, 216 lbs: No combine stats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gg22Y28AjQ

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The thing that's interesting is it's only a one year offer sheet. If it was a multi-year deal, it seems to me Pitt would be more inclined to match it (assuming they could afford to cap-wise). With a one year deal, even if they match it he could leave next year and they get nothing. I wonder if there's a handshake agreement on a longer term deal, because from a Pats perspective giving up a 3 plus $2.5 mil for a one year rental doesn't make much sense either. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I also wonder if this signals anything regarding a possible Mallett trade. It's just hard to believe BB would go into a draft with so few picks. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Patriots probably have a mole in the Steeler's organization...when it was made known we were interested in Sanders the Steelers began heavily scouting receivers to draft. Our mole will just give us that list so there's no chance we draft another receiver bust. Bill Belichick laying in the weeds...the warnings were out poeple. One step ahead...all...the...time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I also wonder if this signals anything regarding a possible Mallett trade. It's just hard to believe BB would go into a draft with so few picks. 

I was thinking the same thing. I have a tough time seeing BB feeling ok with a 1st, 2nd, and 2 7ths. Assuming we get Sanders, you would think this indicates either a Mallet trade or a trade back from our 1st round pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It works a few ways 1) Ups the ante after losing Wallace 2) Pitt needs the pick to rebuild 3) Silences incessant whiners 4) If it happens the Pats will have one of the youngest receiving corps in the league which would bode well for the future 5) Would make for some interesting 3WR  sets.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

I actually think the one year deal is a good thing... first steelers cannot spread out the pain of a mutiyear deal and it forces them to consider that he will only be locked in for one year. So they could lose him next year anyway. BB set a price for the guy, pushed the Steelers in a way that favors him and allows the Pats the opportunity to grab him.

I also think a trade may be in the works so Pitt matches and trades him to Pats for someone and a lower pick...or Pats trade someone to another team (mallet?) and get more picks back.

BB waited to see if Steelers would sign anyone else and be in a worse position than they already are.

I just hope he comes here and the six receivers we have (Gronk, Hern, Amedola, Edelman, Jones and Sanders) can all stay on the field and play 19 games.... then we would have a little excitement around here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

It does make alot sense when you think about. If the Pat's had signed Sanders to a multi year contract, Pitts would be more like to match it. As it stands, if they match the Pat's one year contract, you risk losing him to unrestricted free agency next year. After the Pat's sign him, then you can work out a mult year contract. Or maybe a trade is in the works? I agree with some of the other posters here, there's logic behind it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn51m

What could prevent Steelers from matching Pats on Emmanual Sanders? Only 3 teams have less cap space. Pick No. 91 may tempt GM Kevin Colbert

Kind of a rock and a hard place type of situation. If they just match the deal he becomes a FA again at the end of the season and this time the Steelers would have no recourse as they tendered him this season they can't tender him next year! All they would get is maybe a 3rd round compensation pick. If they let the Patriots sign him they get the 91 pk in this draft. So it's not so cut and dry as Ed Werder made it seem.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mannyortez3424's comment:

What the hell is the point of even signing him to a tender then?

If you really want a guy, you don't offer him a one-year deal at reportedly matchable money...

And I'm not saying give him 8 mil a year, but a one-year deal for money that a cap-strapped Pittsburgh team will most likely match?

Seems like a waste of time since Pitt won't contend next year...

they won't? hmmm....i think i hear that every pre-season here

ravens, too...how'd that work out?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

Felger and Mazz are contrarians...whatever is happening they are against it to stir up fan outrage and make a controversial show...IT'S THE OLDEST MEDIA TRICK IN THE BOOK...they are a couple of transparent, troublemaking and predictable weenies...someone should tell Mazz to BREATH before speaking...he always sounds like a balloon running out of air...

Werder usually has decent sources because he's such a house boy for whomever he covers...the Steelers will be limited in future moves if they do sign Emmanuel, and it must be a tough decision to sign him for a year and forgoe a 3rd rounder from NE...if they have to negotiate the same kind of long term deal to which NE would try to sign him , it will further weaken the Steelers financial position in the next few years...a financial chess game against a key conference rival

I don't mind a contrarian for discussion, but you lose credibility when it's so automatic. They immediately do it and many times they look like morons afterwards and act like nothing happened.

It's very similar to the Irrationals here. They don't think things through, spend every waking hour bashing BB and then look like morons at the end.

u may think ur usual spinning, twisting, convoluted barrage of words and "facts"qualifies as thinking things through but i find it amusing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

It is not going to be about the money (although I'm sure the deal would make them slightly more uncomfortable than they currently are).  It is going to be about whether the Steelers think they can keep Sanders long term.  Because otherwise they should take the pick and run.

Or, they just can't handle a 700K raise in their position.

It could be that BB basically figured that that number, as low as it appears, is enough to get them to take the 3rd.

If he does come here, they will make sure he looks good in camp and then give him a new deal.  This is what Tony and Mazz don't get. They keep saying: "Why only 1 year!"?

They're so dumb. lol

The two hyenas on 98.5 are babbling incessantly right now calling BB cheap and all that, but we need to see how this shakes out before knee jerking this or that. Not saying you, just in general.

The drama that surrounds everything BB does or doesn't do is this ridiculous media frenzy.

Sick, isn't it?

Yes, they are so dumb.  Sort of like that idiot that traded for Ocho, then signed him to a multiyear deal only to then eat the money... so dumb.  Who was that again?

How much money did the Patriots eat?  Apparently you don't know that NFL contracts are not guaranteed. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

It is not going to be about the money (although I'm sure the deal would make them slightly more uncomfortable than they currently are).  It is going to be about whether the Steelers think they can keep Sanders long term.  Because otherwise they should take the pick and run.

It could be that BB basically figured that that number, as low as it appears, is enough to get them to take the 3rd.

If he does come here, they will make sure he looks good in camp and then give him a new deal.  This is what Tony and Mazz don't get. They keep saying: "Why only 1 year!"?

They're so dumb. lol

The two hyenas on 98.5 are babbling incessantly right now calling BB cheap and all that, but we need to see how this shakes out before knee jerking this or that. Not saying you, just in general.

The drama that surrounds everything BB does or doesn't do is this ridiculous media frenzy.

Sick, isn't it?

Yes, they are so dumb.  Sort of like that idiot that traded for Ocho, then signed him to a multiyear deal only to then eat the money... so dumb.  Who was that again?

How much money did the Patriots eat?  Apparently you don't know that NFL contracts are not guaranteed. 

I think he means the dead cap space that was involved. As for eating money they can send some of those high denomination 100 dollar bills my way,I'll at least chew on them....LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

They're so dumb. lol

Sick, isn't it?

Dude, he's very dumb. He and his allies just learned recently that BB didn't sign Ocho, but that he traded for him.

Our Trolls are dumb as our are Irrationals. I only wish we had intelligent mods.

personally i think no matter how the pats acquired both ocho cinco and albert haynesworth they were brilliant moves...bb fleeced the rest of the league on both

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn51m

What could prevent Steelers from matching Pats on Emmanual Sanders? Only 3 teams have less cap space. Pick No. 91 may tempt GM Kevin Colbert

Here's a decent article on the Sanders signing: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3815808-74/sanders-steelers-patriots#axzz2Q8HJP2Hk