WES' DEAL is 5 years and $40m ($18m guaranteed) with salary cap relief.. fair deal or another BB steal?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: WES' DEAL is 5 years and $40m ($18m guaranteed) with salary cap relief.. fair deal or another BB steal?

8 mil per on a 30+ slot guy, not for 5 yrs in my opinion. No thanks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: WES' DEAL is 5 years and $40m ($18m guaranteed) with salary cap relief.. fair deal or another BB steal?

Ummm, NO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'd like to see what they base per year is. $18mil signing sounds about right but it boils down to the how the rest of the $22mil would be spread

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Who is your "source", sports talk radio?!  They have been speculating non stop on the contract length/dollars since Brady's extension was reported on.  Your posts may be ridiculous, but they sure are not well thought out, edited or articulated. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

5yrs is to long

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Too costly.  I love Wes, and I doubt Brady scratched that new extremely NE Patriot friendly contract without some back room talk about keeping Welker.  However, 5 year contract?  Doesn't make sense.  Unless the contract is back loaded with the thought process being he gets offloaded in a few years before the contract can really bite deep into their pockets. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

my sources tell me this deal will be official by next tuesday, perimeters are just a formality. it was a quid pro quo. tb, wes and giz alll just came back from tommy's hideaway in costa rica. u dont do that with all ur random teammates. thats a crutch, as mentioned yesterday.. no way he's taking a discount without clearcut guarantees about the wes! now both will end their careers in new england! seems like a win-win.. well played by bb. had he signed wes and give in to all the homeraders lasyt year, he would be in salary cap limbo like a lot of jabroni gms. now we can fully stock up like 2007 but from both sides of ball. talib should walk thru that door. kruger or freeney will also, ed reed should come on down plus edelman as well. not so sure with vollmer, must cut somewhere. we have enough oline weapons anyways.  speed rules the combine, we will get one of those WRs to develop. dont b surprised if t'eo walks thru those doors! this team will be overdosing in speed and talent and depth!

i say y not go after steven jackson as well.. another corey dillon, bb kind of oj andersen type runner! get it done, spend that money!

agree on th epass rsuihers.

no to slow and confused teo.

speed? 

did you watch the alabama game. dont need a slow lb. 

8 mil per year for a slot recevier is too much for me. if we win a champ i wont complain though

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

Too costly.  I love Wes, and I doubt Brady scratched that new extremely NE Patriot friendly contract without some back room talk about keeping Welker.  However, 5 year contract?  Doesn't make sense.  Unless the contract is back loaded with the thought process being he gets offloaded in a few years before the contract can really bite deep into their pockets. 

agreed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

You could sign him for 10 years, for all I care, because NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. 18 million guaranteed is the key number. If he produces his usual 100 plus catches the next 2 years you've got an excellent deal. I'm elated if this is the deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

There is also the possibility that the Patriots are going to go after a bigger name receiver to play opposite Welker and the TE's to stretch the field and lessen the work load on him. That would keep the miles down and make him viable longer. Five years the way hes being used now will simply not work. But especially if the supposed miracle worker Lloyd will not be brought back, a big name WR is almost becoming an absolute necessity.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

my sources tell me this deal will be official by next tuesday, perimeters are just a formality. it was a quid pro quo. tb, wes and giz alll just came back from tommy's hideaway in costa rica. u dont do that with all ur random teammates. thats a crutch, as mentioned yesterday.. no way he's taking a discount without clearcut guarantees about the wes! now both will end their careers in new england! seems like a win-win.. well played by bb. had he signed wes and give in to all the homeraders lasyt year, he would be in salary cap limbo like a lot of jabroni gms. now we can fully stock up like 2007 but from both sides of ball. talib should walk thru that door. kruger or freeney will also, ed reed should come on down plus edelman as well. not so sure with vollmer, must cut somewhere. we have enough oline weapons anyways.  speed rules the combine, we will get one of those WRs to develop. dont b surprised if t'eo walks thru those doors! this team will be overdosing in speed and talent and depth!

i say y not go after steven jackson as well.. another corey dillon, bb kind of oj andersen type runner! get it done, spend that money!

the 8M is fine but 5 years for any receiver at 32? hmm...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I doubt it will be 5 years.  I see 3 years at the most.  3 years $25 mill, $16 mill guaranteed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I doubt it will be 5 years.  I see 3 years at the most.  3 years $25 mill, $16 mill guaranteed.

probably

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Well that might end up being the final length the contract actually exists but giving him 5 years to spread out a larger signing bonus makes sense

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

You could sign him for 10 years, for all I care, because NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. 18 million guaranteed is the key number. If he produces his usual 100 plus catches the next 2 years you've got an excellent deal. I'm elated if this is the deal.

^this

Now we just need to score one or more of the vet WR's who ultimately will be let go in cost cutting efforts by other teams, spend the rest of the money on our own FA's and use package the draft picks to move up into the high first and grab the best DT available and add to the D.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Intially I thought 2 or 3 year deal with player/club option on the 4th year. It is all about how much is guaranteed and how the money gets spread. If Wes gets a big signing bonus then maybe years four and five aren't huge cap hits that handicap the team in the future. Also, much like other players in various sports (Clemons, Bird etc...) Wes is getting paid for being remarkably consistent. No he's not Calvin Johnson or Jerry Rice, but he is the most consistent WR the Patriots currently have on their roster (this includes Gronk and Hernandez). If the Pats get Hartline or Amendola this would make the O a little more effective. I might also throw in a cheap FB who can pass protect and run the goaline.

Sections
Shortcuts