Wes Welker - 7 days and counting!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Wes Welker - 7 days and counting!

The countdown has started!  The Patriots have 7 days to sign Wes Welker before he hits free agency.  This next 7 days will be very telling to see what direction the Patriots are headed this season.  I'm afraid if WW isn't signed by the 12th he will be headed to a new team as I know there is a few teams out there who will pay him what he is looking for.  Denver and 49'ers have been rumored.  Not good for us Pats fans.  I think a multi year deal gets done between $8 and $9 Million per year.

Predictions....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Wes Welker - 7 days and counting!

I'm not overly concerned really. I really want Welker back but we need to spend wisely too. If someone offers Welker a Bowe type of deal, welll thanks for the memories. If he takes a 3-4 year deal giving him $8mil a year on average that is semi cap friendly this year, welcome back

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Seems like Hartline is going to sign for roughly 6.5 per year....  Welker will make a case for 8.5 then if you ask me.... This might get messy. 

A source tells FOX Sports that the Dolphins are close to finalizing a contract with free agent WR Brian Hartline.

The multi-year deal would reportedly be worth between $6M and $6.5M annually, a high number for a middling No. 2 wideout. It wouldn't prevent the weapon-needy Dolphins from going after free agents Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings next week. Hartline is coming off a career-high 1,083-yard season, but has posted a total of six touchdowns in his four NFL seasons.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Cowherd just said it best: "I got news for ya: Brady's making Welker, Welker's not making Brady."

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Did we get a 6'4 WR yet?.... jk, I hope it all works out with Welker.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

That's why I said I'd rather pay Hartline at age 27 that money than Welker 9 or 10 mil at age 32.

Nonsense! What has Hartline done?  I'm tired of the Patriots bringing in WR's on the cheap then end up doing nothing.  The last WR the Pats brought in that panned out was Moss and Welker, that was 6 years ago!  Nothing since then.  While you can argue Lloyds numbers were good, they weren't good enough.  He didn't fit this offense well enough to make an impact. Heck, he is possibly gone.  Bowe just got 5 years, $56 mill at 29 years old.  I would gladly pay Welker $8-$9 mill at 32 years old as he not only is a proven receiver but a proven weapon in the Patriots offense.   Hartline at $6.5 mill who would be a question mark in the Pas offense or $8-$9 mill to Welker who is proven in the Pats offense?  No brainer here, re-sign Welker! Fast!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Cowherd just said it best: "I got news for ya: Brady's making Welker, Welker's not making Brady."

No doubt TFB is awesome and can "make" players but to say Welker hasn't been a huge plus in Brady's career would be foolish.  I don't think Brady could "make" Edelman, that slot position receiver has to have some pretty darn good talent to get open, Edelman doesn't have that.  Maybe he could turn into a good slot receiver but the dude needs to be able to stay on the field first.  Of course a receivers success is dependent on the QB, so that's kind of foolish to even say. They go hand in hand. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Do you really think Hernandez and Edelman can't split Welker's 100 catch production over the middle?

Really?

Hernandez isn't any good in your eyes, huh?

Why is our offense so finesse and predictable in big games with huge chunks of games stalling out on offense with Welker on the field? Could it be Welker's touches takes away from our run game consistency and the ability to kill the clock and put games away?

This has been going on since the AFC title game in 2007.

They need to be able to stay on the field first.  Don't you think Gronks and AH81 success is due in part to Welker being out there as a threat?  I sure do, foolish to not think so.  If you are a defense and you have Gronk, AH81, and Edleman out there, who are you going to focus coverage on more?  Certainly not Edelman.  You have Welker, Gronk, AH81 out there, who are you going to focus coverage on?  Big difference between the two groups, imo!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Edelman doesn't have talent?  Edelman is better in the open field with the ball in his hands than Welker is.

Better punt returner, more explosion, etc.

Edelman doesn't have near the talent Welker has.  Edelman can not get seperation! Edelman can not adjust to a deeper ball!  Edelman is a horrible slot route runner!  As far as the punt return.. that's laughable!  Edelman isn't a very good punt returner, plus he takes way too many risks catching and running with the ball instead of fair catching the ball.  The dude makes me nervous back there, he isn't a punt returner.  That said, either is Welker.  Neither one of them should be back there returning punts!  But if you are fishing to find something Edelman is better then Welker at then yes, punt returner is it.  Oh, and probably CB, lol!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

http://nesn.com/2013/03/report-patriots-plan-to-replace-wes-welker-with-danny-amendola/

Read this.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Rust what I think your missing is how many of WW's catches come on 3rd down. He is TB12's security blanket and turns tons of 3rds into 1st and 10. Sorry but I got to say;

TB12- 1, Rusty -0

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Edelman doesn't have talent?  Edelman is better in the open field with the ball in his hands than Welker is.

Better punt returner, more explosion, etc.

Edelman doesn't have near the talent Welker has.  Edelman can not get seperation! Edelman can not adjust to a deeper ball!  Edelman is a horrible slot route runner!  As far as the punt return.. that's laughable!  Edelman isn't a very good punt returner, plus he takes way too many risks catching and running with the ball instead of fair catching the ball.  The dude makes me nervous back there, he isn't a punt returner.  That said, either is Welker.  Neither one of them should be back there returning punts!  But if you are fishing to find something Edelman is better then Welker at then yes, punt returner is it.  Oh, and probably CB, lol!!

This post is absurd.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sounds like Welker and the Pats are close anyway, so you win. I just hope it works out for Brady and Welker, because they will go to their graves if they don't win a SB together. Let's face it, a lot of this is about them winning one as buddies, which scares me a bit as a fan.

Hey, I don't care about winning arguments on here, I just would like to see the Patriots sign the players who gives this team the best chance at winning Super Bowls.  It's all good discussion between us all on here (trolls not included) nothing more, nothing less.  And at this point, with the offense they run Welker is one of those people.  I would be arguing the same if say Gronk was in question of coming back, possibly AH81 too which I'm still on the fence about. 

The key guys are TFB, Welker and Gronk... possibly AH81.  But they need one more guy, a solid featured back or a mid to deep threat.... and of course these players to stay health for the post season.  Why mix things up and mess with the offense when they are one player away from getting it done?  Don't take two steps backwards needing to fill two or more positions when you are one position away from SB Glory!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

This post is absurd.

Instead of posting one liners, why don't you back up your claim.  Please tell me why that is so absurd!!!

25. This post has been removed.