Wes Welker - 7 days and counting!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Wes Welker - 7 days and counting!

In response to mia76's comment:

The biggest thing WW has going for him is that he DOES NOT GET INJURED. Yeah he blew out his knee one year and was back at the start of the next year and has been on the field ever since. That is huge for a slot receiver because they get hammered a few times every game. The obvious options to replace Welker if he leaves are Amendola and Edelman - I like both of those players and they are both younger and faster and may have comparably good talent, BUT Edelman has played 22 of a possible 37 games the last two years and Amendola only 12 of 32. All the talent and youth and speed doesn't make up for only playing 50%+/- of the games your team plays.

And Welker coverts first downs - more than 50% of his post season catches the last two years moved the chains (18 of 35) and 62% of his catches in the regular season the last two years moved the chains (149! of 240!)

I don't want the Pats giving him a blank check, but 8M/ year is not out of the question. They obviously have some 'fall-back' options that are cheaper, but they also come with bigger performance risk.

I agree.  But I would be willing to push the numers up to $9 million per year to get this deal done!  It is said that Amendola's rate is going to be around the $6 million range, so you sign him and then sign Edelman and then just pray that the two of them combined can get a full season in and put up impressive numbers?  Or sign Welker in the $8-$9 million range knowing what you get with him.  I'll take Welker and his $8-$9 mill.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

That's why I said I'd rather pay Hartline at age 27 that money than Welker 9 or 10 mil at age 32.

Nonsense! What has Hartline done?  I'm tired of the Patriots bringing in WR's on the cheap then end up doing nothing.  The last WR the Pats brought in that panned out was Moss and Welker, that was 6 years ago!  Nothing since then.  While you can argue Lloyds numbers were good, they weren't good enough.  He didn't fit this offense well enough to make an impact. Heck, he is possibly gone.  Bowe just got 5 years, $56 mill at 29 years old.  I would gladly pay Welker $8-$9 mill at 32 years old as he not only is a proven receiver but a proven weapon in the Patriots offense.   Hartline at $6.5 mill who would be a question mark in the Pas offense or $8-$9 mill to Welker who is proven in the Pats offense?  No brainer here, re-sign Welker! Fast!!

What did Welker do in 2006 at age 26 in Miami?

67 Receptions, 687 yards, 1 TD w/Cleo Lemon

Hartline:

74 Receptions, 1,083, 1 TD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzkFONkaQUY

You've said numerous times in defense of the D that pre-2007 is not the same league as Goodell's NFL today. Welker's numbers with a plug like Cleo Lemon in there are more impressive than Hartline's last year imo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

That's why I said I'd rather pay Hartline at age 27 that money than Welker 9 or 10 mil at age 32.

Nonsense! What has Hartline done?  I'm tired of the Patriots bringing in WR's on the cheap then end up doing nothing.  The last WR the Pats brought in that panned out was Moss and Welker, that was 6 years ago!  Nothing since then.  While you can argue Lloyds numbers were good, they weren't good enough.  He didn't fit this offense well enough to make an impact. Heck, he is possibly gone.  Bowe just got 5 years, $56 mill at 29 years old.  I would gladly pay Welker $8-$9 mill at 32 years old as he not only is a proven receiver but a proven weapon in the Patriots offense.   Hartline at $6.5 mill who would be a question mark in the Pas offense or $8-$9 mill to Welker who is proven in the Pats offense?  No brainer here, re-sign Welker! Fast!!

What did Welker do in 2006 at age 26 in Miami?

67 Receptions, 687 yards, 1 TD w/Cleo Lemon

Hartline:

74 Receptions, 1,083, 1 TD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzkFONkaQUY

You've said numerous times in defense of the D that pre-2007 is not the same league as Goodell's NFL today. Welker's numbers with a plug like Cleo Lemon in there are more impressive than Hartline's last year imo.

Agreed!  Plus Hartline is already demanding a certain  price after what?? One fairly good season?  Give me a break!  Welker signed a Pats friendly deal and then went out and proved himself, to the point of totally out playing his contract, no mention of hold out or anything for a contract restructure.  He just played and played well!  No gets dumped on by some "fans" who have a problem of him wanting to get paid what he deserves?  Yeh, I'm pretty sure most would do that in their current line of work.  Get real RWTK.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormymonday. Show stormymonday's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

The biggest thing WW has going for him is that he DOES NOT GET INJURED. Yeah he blew out his knee one year and was back at the start of the next year and has been on the field ever since. That is huge for a slot receiver because they get hammered a few times every game. The obvious options to replace Welker if he leaves are Amendola and Edelman - I like both of those players and they are both younger and faster and may have comparably good talent, BUT Edelman has played 22 of a possible 37 games the last two years and Amendola only 12 of 32. All the talent and youth and speed doesn't make up for only playing 50%+/- of the games your team plays.

And Welker coverts first downs - more than 50% of his post season catches the last two years moved the chains (18 of 35) and 62% of his catches in the regular season the last two years moved the chains (149! of 240!)

I don't want the Pats giving him a blank check, but 8M/ year is not out of the question. They obviously have some 'fall-back' options that are cheaper, but they also come with bigger performance risk.

I agree.  But I would be willing to push the numers up to $9 million per year to get this deal done!  It is said that Amendola's rate is going to be around the $6 million range, so you sign him and then sign Edelman and then just pray that the two of them combined can get a full season in and put up impressive numbers?  Or sign Welker in the $8-$9 million range knowing what you get with him.  I'll take Welker and his $8-$9 mill.

What kind of a nutjob GM would pay a 30 somethin year old midget 9 mils a pop?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Hartline is a solid player - and yeah I'd like to have have a guy for say 5-6 million per year trending upwards, rather than an aging one that will cost you 9 million, but keep in mind Hartline is not special. A couple of things to consider when looking at Hartline...he's not that big, fast and doesn't do much after the catch. He king of reminds me of Lloyd - I know Hartline runs a better 40 and will play tough, but they both are just going to catch it and not do much else. We already have Lloyd to do that.

So yeah, I'd rather pay a younger guy trending upwards 6 million than Welker 9 million, but I would expect the young guy to turn into something elite (like a Welker)...I don't think Hartline will ever be that...or even close to it...so why pay him 6 plus?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Jeff Howe           Jeff Howe  @jeffphowe

Nothing imminent for Welker and the Pats, per source with knowledge of the negotiations.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Wes should take the hint from TB. If the best QB in football can take a pay cut, one of the best WRs in football can too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Wes should take the hint from TB. If the best QB in football can take a pay cut, one of the best WRs in football can too.

C'mon KP, there is a big difference between the money TFB gets even after his new deal compared to the kind of money Welker is asking for.  TFB is making a bundle!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

C'mon KP, there is a big difference between the money TFB gets even after his new deal compared to the kind of money Welker is asking for.  TFB is making a bundle!

Agreed, but WW knows he can go from the country club to the farm in a heartbeat, if he tries to play poker with BB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Agreed, but WW knows he can go from the country club to the farm in a heartbeat, if he tries to play poker with BB.

True!  They need each other, and they need to be smart about this and get a good deal for both sides done.  Both need to check their ego's at the door and just hammer out a solid deal and get focused on doing what's needed to get to the SB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Adam Schefter         Adam Schefter€@AdamSchefter

Patriots free-agent WR Wes Welker has no plans to re-sign with New England before first testing the free-agent market next week

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://wp.me/p14QSB-7wEj

Pro Football Talk

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The difference between Brady and WW or most of the other players negotiating contracts is that Brady has already been paid huge money over the course of his career. Not sure what the total NFL pay for Brady has been but it has to be close to 50M. Subtract 20% for agents and that is 40M, subtract 40% for taxes and it is 24M. And his outside earnings have to be about the same or more. Even living a fairly expensive lifestyle he is set for life. And his earning power after he retires will still be pretty strong. Welker until last year was making about 2M per year and before that contract was at 500K rookie deal. Total earnings in the 12M range with a lot less outside money. Drop out the same numbers and he probably took home 5M total in his career. And post retirement he is not going to have any big paychecks for endoresments. Now that isn't chicken feed, but it is a huge financial difference - he has maybe 3 more prime earning years in his life so I don't begrudge him trying to maximize those 3 years. Being unemployed at age 36 with your primary career skill no longer wanted is pretty tough even with a nice bank balance.