Wes Welker - 7 days and counting!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Re: Wes Welker - 7 days and counting!

Interesting argument, I can see both sides but really worry about edelmans health.  I would like to get both younger and faster at the we position but love what welker does for the pats, he has made many many clutch plays and think the way he plays will work well over the next two years, he plays quick not fast and age shouldn't hamper him greatly.  brady seems to know where walker will be which is a huge plus.  Last thing keeping walker does not diminish the need for more of a rushing attack. The more we are able to keep defenses honest the more we win.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

The countdown has started!  The Patriots have 7 days to sign Wes Welker before he hits free agency.  This next 7 days will be very telling to see what direction the Patriots are headed this season.  I'm afraid if WW isn't signed by the 12th he will be headed to a new team as I know there is a few teams out there who will pay him what he is looking for.  Denver and 49'ers have been rumored.  Not good for us Pats fans.  I think a multi year deal gets done between $8 and $9 Million per year

Predictions....

No offense, but I am glad you're not the GM.  I also don't think SF or Denver can pay him what you just laid out either. 9 million per year? He's 32 and not a WR who puts up 10 TDs per year. His value in the red zone is low which hurts his case for that kind fo money.

I also cannot imagine Welker in SFs offense with your buddy Collie running the Pistol either.

Is it his value or the scheme? Also, 118 catches did an awful lot to get the team into the red zone. At that point long targets and running backs are the preferred targets.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

It looks a lot closer to keeping him then it has, but who knows?  I like him and hope he gets paid, but the team will do what they want, how they want.  We need a deep threat or even two.  Nice to keep him, but lets get outside guys with size and speed.  And hands.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Davedsone's comment:

It looks a lot closer to keeping him then it has, but who knows?  I like him and hope he gets paid, but the team will do what they want, how they want.  We need a deep threat or even two.  Nice to keep him, but lets get outside guys with size and speed.  And hands.

Didn't we hear that at some point to though? I'm not going to get excited until it's done

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

ummmm has  no one really read this yet>

A source tells CSN New England that the Patriots are closing in on a multi-year contract with free agent Wes Welker.

The source says the "two sides have come to the understanding that they are far better with one another than without." It's a logical resolution considering the state of the Patriots' receiving corps, Tom Brady's dependence on Welker and the slot machine's questionable fit outside of New England's scheme. Although no national outlets are confirming the report yet, we wouldn't be surprised to see a three-year deal announced prior to next week's free-agency window. It would have been extremely difficult for the Pats to replace Welker's average of 112.0 catches per season over the last six years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The biggest thing WW has going for him is that he DOES NOT GET INJURED. Yeah he blew out his knee one year and was back at the start of the next year and has been on the field ever since. That is huge for a slot receiver because they get hammered a few times every game. The obvious options to replace Welker if he leaves are Amendola and Edelman - I like both of those players and they are both younger and faster and may have comparably good talent, BUT Edelman has played 22 of a possible 37 games the last two years and Amendola only 12 of 32. All the talent and youth and speed doesn't make up for only playing 50%+/- of the games your team plays.

And Welker coverts first downs - more than 50% of his post season catches the last two years moved the chains (18 of 35) and 62% of his catches in the regular season the last two years moved the chains (149! of 240!)

I don't want the Pats giving him a blank check, but 8M/ year is not out of the question. They obviously have some 'fall-back' options that are cheaper, but they also come with bigger performance risk.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts