Wes Welker appears ready to test Free Agency!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Re: Wes Welker appears ready to test Free Agency!!

If WW goes elsewhere, we'll miss him, but then again I wish he did more for us during the playoffs and SB's......remember the two crucial dropped passes in the last couple of playoff games???

Maybe the Pats should take that money and apply it to building up the defense....just sayin'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Call me crazy but I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the Patriots offense without Wes Welker.  Not that I don't appreciate Welker's game but with him in there I think it will be the same ol' same ol'.

I'd like to see the offense tweaked a little to where it's not all just an extension of the running game with all those five yard passes to Welker.

I wouldn't mind at all, seeing Amendola in a Pats uniform.  He's younger and at this stage of their careers more dynamic and I think he has better hands than Welker.  Hopefully, he would be able to stay healthy but that's the case with every player in the NFL.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

My only concern about Amendola is his durability and I recognize that is hardly an original thought.

Other than that, I'm not sure I disagree with you, Salcon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

wes might be disappointed in some of the offers he gets...i think many teams realize welker's success has mainly been because of brady. obviously a team like denver or green bay or new orleans would be able to say they have a qb that can get the best out of wes, similar to what brady has done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Lets not forget Defense wins championships regardless of what Crusty tells you about Goodells league. I recall the 49ers and Ravens being in it and those 2 teams are known for defense.

Soooo yea! Lets put a trillion dollars into 2 TE's and a slot WR while investing pennies into the outside WR position and putting special teamers and cast offs on defense! Wooo Hoooo! Sounds like a winning formula to me!  No disrespect TFB, but I disagree with you. Things have changed but not that much. YOu still need to be able to stop the other team. Im sure Brady will still move the ball without Wes and Im hoping Wes leaves JUST so I can prove that point because fans have lost their mind on this topic and want to overpay a short, slow slot WR just because he has been overused the last 5 years...I dont get it. and now clowns like Rusty are saying Wes is better than T.Brown just because he has bloated stats and Brown played on more rounded teams with more weapons..smh

be careful what u wish for TFB!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Pats won 3 Superbowls without Welker. No problem there. Hope they go back to that Offense. Not a knock on Welker either, hope things work out for him.

^ This. Cannot believe how many people think our offense will just be stuck in 1st gear once Wes leaves...smh. They really are brainwashed. Its one thing to have an offense built for passing and using Wes more and running less but catching 120 balls a year hasnt won us anything and makes us less physical because defenses would rather smack around an 180 lb WR all day than to tackle a 225 lb back over and over. We won 3 SBs with a consistent run game, play action and a relentless D that got after Qbs and created lots of turnovers. Now we just get turnovers , and our run game isnt effective in postseason due to not being the focal point it used to be

The whole problem is they would have to retool the whole offense.  Plus they don't have that relentless D you talk about and their run game is a mess.  Some days it works, others they are completly shut down.  If they had a big physical featured back then maybe this could work, but they don't have that.  Defenses are bigger and better since the last time the Pats had success with this and the Pats don't have the type of RB to make this work now.

In order to have a good run game they need a deep threat receiver to spread the defense.  Otherwise the defenses will play the short field and stop all the mid field passes as well as the run game.  We were shown that after Moss left and teams caught on to all the short field plays the Patriots ran.  But still you also need to be able to have someone you can depend on for the short field , especially with the offense philosophy they have which is to play manageable football where they go after short yardage for a manageable third down and short yardage.  That will have to change too without Welker.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

My only concern about Amendola is his durability and I recognize that is hardly an original thought.

Other than that, I'm not sure I disagree with you, Salcon.

Maybe between Amendola and Edelman (if he resigns)  atleast one of them stays healthy and maybe get 70-80% of Welker's production for less cost.

Would love to see that cap money going for other needs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:

If WW goes elsewhere, we'll miss him, but then again I wish he did more for us during the playoffs and SB's......remember the two crucial dropped passes in the last couple of playoff games???

Maybe the Pats should take that money and apply it to building up the defense....just sayin'

Welker had 117 yards and a TD in the Ravens playoff game.  He was the most productive player in the game.  Hernandez had 83 yards, no td's and Lloyd had 70 yards and no td's.  What are you talking about Welker doing more.  And please, get off the dropped passes argument.  Many players had dropped passes, thats just a copout!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Pats won 3 Superbowls without Welker. No problem there. Hope they go back to that Offense. Not a knock on Welker either, hope things work out for him.

^ This. Cannot believe how many people think our offense will just be stuck in 1st gear once Wes leaves...smh. They really are brainwashed. Its one thing to have an offense built for passing and using Wes more and running less but catching 120 balls a year hasnt won us anything and makes us less physical because defenses would rather smack around an 180 lb WR all day than to tackle a 225 lb back over and over. We won 3 SBs with a consistent run game, play action and a relentless D that got after Qbs and created lots of turnovers. Now we just get turnovers , and our run game isnt effective in postseason due to not being the focal point it used to be

The whole problem is they would have to retool the whole offense.  Plus they don't have that relentless D you talk about and their run game is a mess.  Some days it works, others they are completly shut down.  If they had a big physical featured back then maybe this could work, but they don't have that.  Defenses are bigger and better since the last time the Pats had success with this and the Pats don't have the type of RB to make this work now.

In order to have a good run game they need a deep threat receiver to spread the defense.  Otherwise the defenses will play the short field and stop all the mid field passes as well as the run game.  We were shown that after Moss left and teams caught on to all the short field plays the Patriots ran.  But still you also need to be able to have someone you can depend on for the short field , especially with the offense philosophy they have which is to play manageable football where they go after short yardage for a manageable third down and short yardage.  That will have to change too without Welker.

So which do you fix one year? the Horrible D which has blown for years now or just grab a Big back our the draft or free agency??  Lets be real, this D cannot play ball control even if we DID get our run on track but I just feel the offense needs an upgrade from Wes. Even if he still produces next year, what will he be like another year older , after another 100 catches next January?? Same as this January...Worn out and beaten up.  So I agree about the defense only being to get so much better but we HAVE to get a real # 1 and stop this gimmick, 5 yard catch and take a beaten and ignore the run. I also believe Bolden could be that power back. So I agree with you but I disagree on how to fix it. We need change

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

So which do you fix one year? the Horrible D which has blown for years now or just grab a Big back our the draft or free agency??  Lets be real, this D cannot play ball control even if we DID get our run on track but I just feel the offense needs an upgrade from Wes. Even if he still produces next year, what will he be like another year older , after another 100 catches next January?? Same as this January...Worn out and beaten up.  So I agree about the defense only being to get so much better but we HAVE to get a real # 1 and stop this gimmick, 5 yard catch and take a beaten and ignore the run. I also believe Bolden could be that power back. So I agree with you but I disagree on how to fix it. We need change

Did you just say our "D blows"?  This is why people think you are a Jets troll.

A crappy D is one that doesn't come close to being top 10 in any category.  Please learn the game, Shizzly.  Stop taking cues from moron Jets fans or girly voiced Tony Mazz on 98.5.

Thanks.

The Board

Acutally noone has ever accused me of being a jets troll. You are the only self proclaimed Die hard Pats fan who is obsessed with the jets and posts their news on THIS forum daily.

Noone has ever called our defense good or great in the last 5 years either. Sorry you dont like my choice of words, but if you can make comments like Brady S*cked! well lets just say, YOU arent in position to question me, sorry.  I dont listen to Mazz, sorry wrong again. Jeez, your stock is going down rusty. Dont have any new comebacks, you get exposed daily as a fraud and a liar and you try to get back by going at me??? Wrong choice because I will only further expose you. Matter of fact, since you wanna start. Let me adress some more bafoonery from you. Remember last week you tried yet again to downplay how bad our defense is by saying the 03' defense was also bad.???? LOL, or are you gonna deny that? You said the 03' s*cked because they gave up 38 pts to Jake Dellhome but never mentioned how the whole 1st half was a defensive slugfest that turned into a 2nd half shootout ONLY after both defenses wore down and how many injuries. Troy Brown with broken nose. Rodney with broken arm. Wilson with torn hammy chasing Mushin?? You forget all that?? The 2003 defense was Great and would never be compared to the Sh*t BB has put on the field recently, Fraud!   ok, carry on

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

As many have already pointed out this story changes every day with "experts" declaring their sources say this or that....

Welker most likely hasn't said a word to anyone.

That being said if Welker wanted to "look" around before signing with the Pats he would never say so. Most Teams will refuse to be used by a Player who may not really be serious about changing Teams. A true free agent will get much better offers versus one who is simply looking to see if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

I think Welker stayin' is already a done deal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

anybody thought ...if he is allowed to go to Denver that Manning would be throwing to him? Say what you want to about his postseason record...I just don't want to give Peyton such a productive weapon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the 2003 defense was so great that it allowed 29 points in the super bowl to the great jake delhomme LMAO!!

the 2012 pats defense allowed 28 to flacco, but yet the 2003 defense was great and the 2012 defense was horrible? HAHAHAHAHA!! flacco put up some points on this defense, no doubt, but a BIG part of the reason is because our offense couldnt hold on to the ball.

the defense hands the ball back to the offense at the 45, the offense proceeds to go 7 yards on three downs and then punt.

defense's fault?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

how much more are we going to argue this offense is at fault ...defense is at fault point? Same people continuously making the same points.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I am almost hoping Welker gets a big offer from someone else and leaves. That way I can rationalize it by knowing he did what was best for him at this stage of his career. In my head I know it makes no sense to sign a 32 year old slot receiver to a 5 year deal worth 8 million per, but I feel some loyalty to him for his years of dedicated, underpaid services. I have no doubt that the Pats could survive without him by expanding Hernandez', Edelman's, Vereen's roles while keeping Lloyd and perhaps signing/drafting another receiver.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

As many have already pointed out this story changes every day with "experts" declaring their sources say this or that....

Welker most likely hasn't said a word to anyone.

That being said if Welker wanted to "look" around before signing with the Pats he would never say so. Most Teams will refuse to be used by a Player who may not really be serious about changing Teams. A true free agent will get much better offers versus one who is simply looking to see if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

I think Welker stayin' is already a done deal.

I sure hope you are correct!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Wes will look awful if he leaves after Brady restructured. Just saying.  Brady, Kraft, etc, can deny all day long it had nothign to do with trying to get Welker signed, but it did.

Pats have the leverage and I am not sure Wes understands that.  

I'm not sure he will. It really depends on the difference in what the Pats offer vs what he gets in the end. If the difference is minor (like 1mil a year for the same amount of years) I'd agree he'd look bad, but if we are talking 20+% different I doubt anyone will blame him. If he gets 10mil from some place and we only offered 7mil then in my eyes the organization offered him a fair deal but someone offered him much more and who could blame him to take that much more. Then of course comes the reverse if they offer him 4mil and he takes a reasonable deal from some place else in the 7-8mil range then I think it looks bad or the organization given what Brady gave up

Well, if he goes to a team that his a crappier QB with a crappier organization, for 10 mil per, yeah, he'll look terrible with that greedy kind of thinking.  Deep down, Welker, his agent, NE, NFL fans, etc, all realize his best production comes here, not with Andy Dalton in Cincy.

This is what these Pats players do. They come in, do a good or great job, then use their status and production here under what BB and Brady have provided them, to pounce in the open market.

That's their choice, but I gotta tell ya, I didn't have Welker pegged as one of those kinds of people.  I could see if he had held on to the ball in SB 46 or had a better game vs Balt this year, but your best bet at a ring is here, not with the Colts, Dolphins, or Bengals, etc.

It's his choice if he wants money, but that would destroy everything he's built here.

Rusty, you have to realize there is no loyalty in this game from anyones but the fans side. Players have to do whats best for themselves and family first. Welker hasn't made a ton of money compared to someone like Brady so he might feel he can't take a large hit just to stay for production. Productions great when you are already well off or are looking for the next big contract but this will most likely be his last. Production 10 years from now won't mean anything but good stories.

You can't blame Welker for wanting to cash in for once in his left just as no one would blame you for going to another company to get paid better. Now if the money is close then you can lay blame for wanting to go to a worse team but an extra 3mil a year is a huge difference and very few could blame him for chasing the money. Greinke said it best "It's obviously the No. 1 thing. I could play for the worst team if they paid the most. ... If the last-place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I'm going to go for the $200-million no matter what team it was."

in the end the players have to get paid like in any other business and like any other business most will go where the money is best. But, if there isn't much difference or if they are already extremely well off then they can afford to take less with a better team

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

the 2003 defense was so great that it allowed 29 points in the super bowl to the great jake delhomme LMAO!!

the 2012 pats defense allowed 28 to flacco, but yet the 2003 defense was great and the 2012 defense was horrible? HAHAHAHAHA!! flacco put up some points on this defense, no doubt, but a BIG part of the reason is because our offense couldnt hold on to the ball.

the defense hands the ball back to the offense at the 45, the offense proceeds to go 7 yards on three downs and then punt.

defense's fault?

sticking up for Rusty again??  YOu need to learn the game and lose that redsox avatar and stop blindly agreeing with a mad man. Do you really want me to post the stats of that years defense?? Are you Really saying the 2003 D is even comparable to the 2012 defense...lol

Why are you trying to defend Rusty on one topic and then bring up last years game?? Im talking about buddy but you always but in when Rusty is getting hosed like a loyal follower who knows less than a lying mad man....

You are taking a ONE game sample and putting it up and like I told Rusty, the D was pitching a shutout as well as Carolinas D. That 1st half was like the most ugliest, defensive game in quite some time and the only reason points started to go up in a hurry in the 2nd half is because of both defenses tiring after being on the field so long in a SB played INSIDE and guys were getting cramps left and right and if you cant comprehend that , I cant help you. Keep following your master Rusty though, Im sure it will be beneficial.....

You have the nerve to question MY football knowledge after putting yourself in the same ditch as Rusty???  Learn the GAME!!! 

Sections
Shortcuts