Wes Welker appears ready to test Free Agency!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from John_Bathias. Show John_Bathias's posts

Re: Wes Welker appears ready to test Free Agency!!

Welker deserves top dollar, but the thing that must be remembered is the amount of mileage he already has on him. He's had some injuries, and paying top dollar for a player in that position is not the Patriot way. They've been the gold standard when it comes to personnel decisions in the last decade so I stand behind their moves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

IT IS WHAT IT IS.  He will go, or he will stay.  The Pats will go forward either way, and I think the numbers will look the same. The team is loaded in the short game.  And he hasn't been clutch in the big ones, so it will be a wash, I think.  I would like to keep him, but that's not something I get to choose.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

I agree, but slot WRs aren't the same in the market as TEs or WRs.  He doesn't seem to get he's not Larry Fitzgerald.

Welker needs to ask himself if he wants more money or more chances at rings. Pretty simple.

I think NE is confident another bidder won't offer signinficantly more. But, if they do, so be it, move on to plan B.

Personally, I don't want Welker's contract holding this team hostage anyway.

Slot receivers not in the same market as WR's and TE's..  Well probably not for most but there are a select few slot receivers that should be.  Welker and Cruz come to mind.  Maybe not in the Megatron money market but when you hear a Brian Hartline signing a deal for $7 million a year then you gotta wonder how much you would discount a top slot reveiver compared to a mediocre WR... if at all.  Deals like Hartline give top Slot receivers good ammo to demand more money then you initially would want to pay a SR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

Bye Wes....All the best 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/03/thoughts_on_wel.html

Greg Bedard, Boston Globe article this morning

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Welker is a great player, has been an extremely productive player and a very good 'team guy' (with a few wisecracks thrown in.) He has also never been on the open market where his agent has been able to talk to other teams. Given that last point, who wouldn't want to at least listen to what other teams think. So I don't think there is a chance that he signs before this weekend when he can at least listen to the market. There may be a team that offers 10M/3 years all guaranteed - at which point he might take it and who could blame him - or he may decide that whatever the Pats have offered is good enough to remain (but make sure the team knows that he passed on the other deal.)

I suspect that the market is going to tell him that the Pats offer is very good. There might be a team that offers a little more guarnteed or a little more per year money, but as one commentator said this week - when teams think about 10M/yr wide receivers they are not thinking about 5'8" guys with average speed.

There are some teams out there with a lot of cap space, but that usually comes with huge holes on their roster or with very questionable roster talent that needs upgrading. In the AFC east Miami has buckets of cap space but they are also down a starting tackle, CB, safety, #1WR, TE, RB. Denver which is a team everyone mentions started with 18M in cap, but tagged Clady so now are down to about 8M and have a few other holes they need to fill. They have a few bloated contracts that they may renegotiate but I just don't see them spending big on another receiver. (There cap space also comes mostly from 14M roll-over from last year, so salary commitments after this year are going to be a problem if they spend to their 'cap' space.

A team like TB is more possible as they really do have ligit cap space, but some of that is a quirk with the Jackson contract - this year his cap hit dropped from 15M to 3M, but next year and the following years it bounces back up to 12M. For next year if they signed Welker they would be tying up 21-22M on two receivers which is a little hard to manage and still maintain good talent in the other 9 offensive starters.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

the 2003 defense was so great that it allowed 29 points in the super bowl to the great jake delhomme LMAO!!

the 2012 pats defense allowed 28 to flacco, but yet the 2003 defense was great and the 2012 defense was horrible? HAHAHAHAHA!! flacco put up some points on this defense, no doubt, but a BIG part of the reason is because our offense couldnt hold on to the ball.

the defense hands the ball back to the offense at the 45, the offense proceeds to go 7 yards on three downs and then punt.

defense's fault?

sticking up for Rusty again??  YOu need the learn the game and lose that redsox avatar and stop blindly agreeing with a mad man. Do you really want me to post the stats of that years defense?? Are you Really saying the 2003 D is even comparable to the 2012 defense...lol

You are taking a ONE game sample and putting it up and like I told Rusty, the D was pitching a shutout as well as Carolinas D. That 1st half was like the most ugliest, defensive game in quite some time and the only reason points started to go up in a hurry in the 2nd half is because of both defenses tiring after being on the field so long in a SB played INSIDE and guys were getting cramps left and right and if you cant comprehend that , I cant help you. Keep following your master Rusty though, Im sure it will be beneficial.....

You have the nerve to question MY football knowledge after putting yourself in the same ditch as Rusty???  Learn the GAME!!! 

You can't compare a D in that era to a D in this era. For example, the  2012 Ravens D while wining a SB, gave up 31 points and averaged giving up 25 points in the postseason. Their 2000 D was far better, statistically.

The league CLEARLY favors offense now.

You cannot compare apples to oranges.

If Brady didn't screw up with Welker in SB 46 in the 4th qtr, NE's D holds to 13 points and is seen as the best D in a SB SINCE the 2000 Ravens for points allowed.

Ironic, isn't it? LOL

Ty Law and our LBs would be called for holding, PI or illegal contact on every single passing down in today;s game. Christ, our D now gets called for those kinds of calls at an obscene rate as it is now.

Please stop.

The Ravens D giving up 29 (minus the safety) points in a 13 possession game was much better than the Pats D giving up 19 (not 13, stop the lies) points in an 8 possession game.

Minus the safety.

Giving up, 2.2 points per possession is better than a 2.4 ppp.

Possessions matter!  More possessions= more chances to score= higher scores.

Learn the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

I wish FA started today, to close this chapter......bye Wes...all the best

believe it or not we will be better off without him

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsBermuda's comment:

believe it or not we will be better off without him

Wake up! Wake up!  You have fallen asleep at the keyboard and are dreaming.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Wes to the Colts ????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He's going to stay. Belichick is going to do whatever is best for the team. If welker wants a deal that will hurt the team in the long term he's gone. I think after Brady restructured his deal that Welkers going to stay. He's just testing the waters to see what his value is out there. I'd bet he would take slightly less to stay with Brady but isn't going to play for chump change either. This is his last chance at a big payday.

Sections
Shortcuts